JimTM

IL-2 Sturmovik Mission Editor and Multiplayer Server Manual

Thanks for sharing this, can't wait to get started! Best wishes to you from the frozen Allegheny Mountains of central Pennsylvania USA.

Thanks to you robotic5 and many others for the kind thoughts. Just made it past 2,000 downloads. 

Good luck with your learning. Be sure to download the samples and check out the other resources listed here.

Posted (edited)

Stupid question:

Have things changed with regards to flying online missions where a pilot does not have the map being hosted? This is with the new Coop and DogFight hosting system.

I have a buddy who does not own Kuban yet, and says he cannot seem to join any of the new Coop or Dogfight missions with the Kuban map, even though he does own several of the aircraft that are included in the missions. He is, however, OK with joining a dedicated server running the Kuban map.

Solution found: issue was actually that the buddy was trying to launch a coop or dogfight mission that he had stored in his mission cache that contains resources from Kuban (map in this instance) that he hasn't yet purchased. So the uptake on this is, we know this is working as intended. I.E. he can join the map (assuming he owns the included aircraft), he just cannot launch the map, himself.

Edited by WWDubya
  • Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, JimTM said:

If you use the editor manual, be sure to check the following:

- Post "Changes for IL-2 Sturmovik v 3.0001" which affect some of the editor features
These changes will be included in the next version of the manual.

I'm sure you know but the editor manual doesn't include coop mission creation. I trust this will be updated.

In the meantime... why can't we have some concise directions in doing so?

Thanks. :salute:

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Thad said:

I'm sure you know but the editor manual doesn't include coop mission creation. I trust this will be updated.

In the meantime... why can't we have some concise directions in doing so?

Thanks. :salute:

Yup! I added that task to the 308 other additions/corrections to be made (so far).  :)

123 of the (easy) changes done so far, 186 to go, but many of those are more involved, requiring some testing. There is a change log at the front of the new version for the changes worth mentioning.

ETA: Haven't the foggiest.

I'll wait for the first post-release update to drop and then have a look at co-op and write a short guide (unless some other boffin beats me to it).

Cheers!

Edited by JimTM

Glad to have found this.  I'm trying to make a simple single-player mission involving creation of an Italian airbase at Oblivskaya (Stalingrad Map), designation of a player aircraft and wingman, takeoff, waypoints, and return to base.  I have not found it to be so simply done as said, but I want to do this badly enough to do the work.  Which is, after all, how I learned how to use computers in the first place.  Wish me luck!

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2018 at 9:37 AM, Vig said:

Glad to have found this.  I'm trying to make a simple single-player mission involving creation of an Italian airbase at Oblivskaya (Stalingrad Map), designation of a player aircraft and wingman, takeoff, waypoints, and return to base.  I have not found it to be so simply done as said, but I want to do this badly enough to do the work.  Which is, after all, how I learned how to use computers in the first place.  Wish me luck!

Hi Vig,

The following sections should help you with what you have in mind:

- Chapter 2: Learning Basic Mission Editor Skills (pg. 13)

- Create a Singleplayer Mission (pg. 33)

- Manage Object Formations (pg. 74)

Even though you are the leader, you may need to object link a takeoff command to your two wingmen to get them to take off with you (for an example, see pg. 37).
   I've seen this behavior in previous tests, but I don't know if it's changed now. 

- Help Pilots Fly a Route (pg. 60)

Good luck!

Edited by JimTM
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks much!  I'm having trouble getting the player plane to start on the ground - the mission starts with "Vig has been killed," and no aircraft are visible.  But I will get this! 

I'm already considering lobbying hard for the Saetta so I can make a *truly worthwhile* Italian airfield!  If I'm still working on it tomorrow, I will start to feel like I really ought to have a Caproni Ca.311, too.  ;)

19617_rd.jpg

EDIT:  Aha, takeoff!   Omitted the takeoff command before.   Thanks for the great manual.  Still sorta want the Caproni, though.... 

Edited by Vig
resolved issue

2 hours ago, Vig said:

Thanks much!  I'm having trouble getting the player plane to start on the ground - the mission starts with "Vig has been killed," and no aircraft are visible.  But I will get this! 

The solution is at the top of pg. 186 in the manual.

• Upvote 1

Truly a Magnum Opus. Thank you Jim.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

the download-link concerning the STEditor-manual on the first site doesn´t work anymore. Can anyone help?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, simpit1 said:

Hi,

the download-link concerning the STEditor-manual on the first site doesn´t work anymore. Can anyone help?

Are you referring to the first link in this thread? I tried it and it works.

Edited by JimTM

Posted (edited)

Perfect! Now from my office--pc it works - thanks!

Wow, what a huge job, great - and thanks to the author!

Edited by simpit1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

I have just one question. I'm trying to make a coop mission. I have set the mission type to coop and I have also placed a respawn point for germans. I did this according to PDF manual and some yt guides. The mission is very simple just for training for my newcomer friends. But after I launch this mission I don't see any spawn points and I can't spawn. I think it will be something easy to fix and that I've just forgot something. Do you know how to setup spawn points for coop missions so I can choose aircraft from list like on Liberty server please?

Thanks

7 hours ago, klobuk said:

Hi guys,

I have just one question. I'm trying to make a coop mission. I have set the mission type to coop and I have also placed a respawn point for germans. I did this according to PDF manual and some yt guides. The mission is very simple just for training for my newcomer friends. But after I launch this mission I don't see any spawn points and I can't spawn. I think it will be something easy to fix and that I've just forgot something. Do you know how to setup spawn points for coop missions so I can choose aircraft from list like on Liberty server please?

Thanks

You do not use "spawn points" (i.e., airfield objects) for spawning in a coop mission. Instead, you create AI plane objects (i.e., not "Player") and select the "Cooperative Start" checkbox for each plane. Each plane will then show up as a coop slot that a player can select. For unoccupied slots, the plane flies under AI control. I don't have experience with coop missions so someone please correct me if I have it wrong.

• Upvote 2

The unoccupied slots will only fly under AI control if an actual route with waypoints, attack commands, etc is given as you would for any AI flight. Essentially all you are changing by flying co-op is that a player can take over one of the regular AI aircraft and act independently while flying that aircraft.

Thank you guys very much. I will try it today. I thought that it is possible to create a spawn point also for coop missions and player can choose from list of aircrafts like in multiplayer servers.

In the update of the first post you can find the "Manual del Editor de Misiones y Servidor Multijugador.pdf", a translation of the original manual translated into Spanish. Enjoy it.

Any suggestion or problem with it can be reported here or directly to me by MP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Great work Trenkos! Thanks!  :salute:

Edited by JimTM

Posted (edited)

Decided to take some time to learn how to use the mission builder. I have run into one problem in that the editor gives me an "error reading mission file" when I try to load any of the sample missions. Anyone have any ideas? The sample missions folders were placed in the correct directories. And I would be remiss if I didn't thank JimTM for all of his work creating this manual!

Edit: Ok, I got it sorted out. I just d/l the latest mission pack and everything was fine. I had the original mission pack that I had never used.

Edit: I should say partially sorted out, there are a few of the missions that still won't load.

Edited by Gramps
problem solved

Posted (edited)

While I'm not 100% certain what the issue is, maybe try this:

1. go to open a mission in the mission editor
  2. in the text field type *.*
  3. select the .msbin file instead of .mission file
  4. ???
  5. PROFIT

note: *This is also a good way to see missions that do not have the .mission file.*

Capture.JPG

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
added image of where to type *.*

Thanks Sketch, but that did not work. I have noticed that the same missions will not load in the game as well. Wasn't there a trick to get the missions loaded in-game by deleting the .msbn file? If so, once it loads in-game, if it works, maybe then it will load in the editor?

Yes, give that option a go. It's possible the files don't work in 3.xxx because they haven't been updated; though I'm guessing at best. I'm sure others can chime in here on why they're not working.

Instead of deleting, try renaming the file to "fileName_old.fileExtension" without quotes. 

3 hours ago, Gramps said:

Thanks Sketch, but that did not work. I have noticed that the same missions will not load in the game as well. Wasn't there a trick to get the missions loaded in-game by deleting the .msbn file? If so, once it loads in-game, if it works, maybe then it will load in the editor?

Can you list the missions that will not load for you please.

4 hours ago, JimTM said:

Sure, I'll check them in the morning.

12 hours ago, JimTM said:

Attack A Defended Factory

Attack A Factory

Command Bombers to Take Off at Sunset

Engage an FW190

After deleting the msnbin files for those four they would load into the editor. After re-saving new msnbin files were generated and the missions would load in game. Only thing I noticed at that point was no map is displayed in game for the FW190 mission.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Gramps said:

Attack A Defended Factory

Attack A Factory

Command Bombers to Take Off at Sunset

Engage an FW190

After deleting the msnbin files for those four they would load into the editor. After re-saving new msnbin files were generated and the missions would load in game. Only thing I noticed at that point was no map is displayed in game for the FW190 mission.

Thanks. Glad to hear that you fixed three of the four missions for yourself.

Attached is the working version of the "Engage an FW190" mission. I had to reapply the terrain and map and then change the SeasonPrefix value from blank to "wi" in the .mission file as a result of reapplying the terrain and map.

FME Manual - Engage an FW190.zip

Edited by JimTM

56 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Thanks. Glad to hear that you fixed three of the four missions for yourself.

You're welcome. Reading the forums paid off in this case.