Gavrick

Developer Diary, Part 140 - Discussion

Hello Everybody,
My name is Roman and I'm one of the Aerodynamics/Software Engineers for the IL-2 Sturmovik project. I create aircraft flight models together with my colleagues. I worked on the Yak-1b series 127 which was just released and now I work on the Bf-109 G-4, but I'd like to tell you about our plans in the medium term regarding the Fw-190. We'll begin working on the Fw-190 A-5 relatively soon, at the end of winter, and when we do that we’ll have a chance to also correct the existing Fw-190 A-3 flight model, taking all the data we have recently acquired into account. 
To finish the today's Dev Diary, we'll show you the corrected and newly added Fw-190 A-3 skins made by paintjob devotee I./ZG1_Panzerbar who we continue to work with:

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 23

Great news about the Fw. :)

The Fw 190 has always been hard to love in this sim. It is clearly capable, but very hard to get into, and as I have often said: This is a plane, where I just never felt the FM was on the mark.

Will be very interesting to see, what you can do with it (and the A5 as well) and always good to see, that you're never "done" with any part of this sim.

I think I might pick up a couple of extra copies of BoK to pass around in the new year.

Keep up the good work :salute:

• Upvote 2

Roman, a quick question: I didn't understood well if the FM was corrected in 2.005 or if it will be corrected in a future release (2.006?)?

Thanks for your opening about your protocol on FMs changes!

Roman, a quick question: I didn't understood well if the FM was corrected in 2.005 or if it will be corrected in a future release?

I'm pretty sure they will correct it as they're building the A5, so whenever the A5 is done, so will the A3 be.

• Upvote 1

Great update!  thanks Roman!

I see even more how much it is difficult to recreate 70 years old aircraft simulator,

Especially with German and Japanese airplane as.... they were not preserved due to the "politically correctness" I guess.

It is very good that a simulator gives justice to all these wonderful piece of engineering. 

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Nill
  • Upvote 1

Thank you so much for addressing this issue in a dev diary and for the explanation of how we got to this point.

Thanks to the community members who helped with new info.

Looking forward to the revised Fw.

Edited by kendo

Thank you so much for addressing this issue in a dev diary and for the explanation of how we got to this point.

+1 :salute:

Thank you Roman. It was fascinating to read because I have no idea about ANY of this stuff so I'm very glad there are people like you!

thanks Roman, great news! Looking forward to you're continued great work

Great news Roman!

+1

Thank you for surprising info GAVRICK!!!! Really THANK YOU!

I'm not sure, why this is such a surprise to people (let alone the people who care most deeply about Fw 190 FM) Word has been out for a while, that they'd look into the FM of the A3, when they were doing the A5 for BoK.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure, why this is such a surprise to people

Suprises are always surprising. Even if it is just a juniper.

Roman,

Thank you for the up-date, I look forward to any improvements that are carried out and think that using this forum to explain and acknowledge the "how and why" of the FW190 issue(s) shows commitment from all of you guys that perhaps has been doubted by some.  Hopefully this announcement should stop some of the toxic posts, although I’m sure these will be replaced with the "I told you so" posts.  

This whole sim for me is great and although I'm not the type to say "sort the FW190 or else" I would like to acknowledge and thank those chaps who have provided the required information to the DDs to correct any issues and now hope that we can all look forward to the A5 and revised A3, before the P-40 guys start.  

Panzerbar,

Thank you for taking the time once again to help improve the skins, however could you explain to us (or link me to somewhere if I missed your explanation) what you have done to correct the skins as I would like to fully understand what has been done and why, as I know that you are a perfectionist when it comes to this detail.  Thank you

Haza

Edited by Haza
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Devs and community members that make this sim better and better.

Every time I think that it does not get better than this, it just does......

Awesome team   :salute:

+100

... what??? FW have WRONG FM? Realy? Muhehehehehe.. INCREDIBLY!!! Yes .. I understand it needs only small tuning... ;)

Thank you for surprising info GAVRICK!!!! Really THANK YOU!

:rolleyes:

To the people spending their time to get the valuable data and documents: good job guys! :salute:

Edited by 216th_Jordan

Thanks for improving the current brick of FW 190.

We all knew that FW190 was not correct :russian_ru:

Thank you very much for the effort Devs :friends:

On the other hand I really like the new skins for FW190, I am a great fan of historical skins well made, Both the Luftwaffe and the VVS, is Necessary to achieve a complete immersion in the simulator  :drinks:

Thx Lothar29 :salute: 

PS:Soon I will follow with the Diplomas for the workers of Skins. I'm finishing today the 2nd blue squadron

Thankyou Roman, and to all the community members that contribute in a polite and constructive way. Real pleasure to read.   

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the news.

About the work of I./ZG1_Panzerbar on the skins I have two questions/suggestions:

1/Is it possible while you guys are reworking on them, to release an "unoffical skinpack" with the official skins but with the correct markings (swastika)? Don't you should avoid any legal issues if you release them that way? (we had skins with swastikas in ROF in the unofficial skinpacks)

2/While I understand that players want diversity in skins, and that you can't imagine some planes without famous schemes (the F4 and Marseille, the 190 and JG26/JG2) even if they weren't on the eastern front. It could be great (and for some planes it has been already done-but not for all of them) for multiplayer play to have  numeroted skins (summer and winter).I think it greatly improves immersion while flying with friends and make cool screens.

234331rBOSN625.jpg

Anyway, thanks for your work!

Edited by Bearcat
  • Upvote 1

This team is amazing.

Continued customer support for their product is really second to none.

In this light, I am really looking fwd to flying hellcat corsair and a6m by this team.

Hey Roman & all Devs

you made a lot of people very happy, including me! This is real science, and continued search for sources, tests and discussions is exactly that. You are doing an outstanding job and you continue to impress.

I hope some people here fill finally begin to understand that there is no bias whatsoever....

• Upvote 4

Amazing....FM was always a hot topic and they showed us they care.. Top noch devs!

a big thanks again to teh team

I will support this (with buying their titles) as long as they deserve it....

Fantastic news!

A huge thank you to the guys that managed to provide the developers with the required information/documents to begin work on correcting the FW190.

Thank you developers for continuously improving the Sim and communicating with the community regarding the improvements.

Seeing your presence more on the English forums recently has also been a good change!

Improved skins look great Panzerbar, can't wait to use them!

• Upvote 2

Yesss! Great news there! Thanks to admit that some things are not correct instead of insist that all is right. 

Thanks also the people who give the correct reports and help making post and make discussion about that. 

Congratulations to the team and the community members for working together and improving this simulator. May this collaboration flourish in the future :)

Also, big thanks to Panzerbär for the amazing skins. Are there more coming?

Thank you Gavrick/Roman for the update: this should help to stop most of the pitch-fork waving. Plus thanks to all those who helped the team with interpreting the data.

Thank you for openly adressing and explaining this problem to the comunity. It's nice to hear from the flight model designer himself and certainly raises exitement for the new iteration of the Fw190 FM to come .

Also big thanks to those providing assistence of any (friendly) sort.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 2

Are there more skins coming?

From me - yes. Bf110E-2, Bf109F-2 and Bf109F-4.

P.S. Dont sure what I will be able to do untill 7 december.  On 8 december I finally go home to Volgograd to my family from the north, and as I didnt saw them from 1 february, I believe I will have very feiw time to paint something.

Edited by I./ZG1_Panzerbar
  • Upvote 7

Congratulations on being able to see your family again after such a long time.  I wish you all every happiness.

• Upvote 2

I love the new skins, but it would be great if we could also get more generic skins without numbers. Those are more useful when building missions. It doesn't look good when every plane in a flight has the same number.

Would it be possible to release versions of the new skins without numbers?

• Upvote 3