Sign in to follow this  
Luft1942

I need TrackIR

I've gotten to the point where I feel I need head tracking in order to be more successful in a fighter. Using the coolie switch while trying to dogfight leads me to become uncoordinated at times and makes tracking enemies a pain. Anyone expierence an increase in their flying abilities by switching to TrackIR?

I've gotten to the point where I feel I need head tracking in order to be more successful in a fighter. Using the coolie switch while trying to dogfight leads me to become uncoordinated at times and makes tracking enemies a pain. Anyone expierence an increase in their flying abilities by switching to TrackIR?

My flying ability sucks regardless, but the fun and immersion went way up with TrackIR.

Edit: it takes a little getting used to having to be aware of what you are doing with your head though LOL

Edited by 19.GIAP//Rekt

I thought it was all BS when I first read about TIR.

After some time I did buy it and never looked back. (looking back is easy with TIR btw :) )

If I would have a stick now and would have to choose between adding either TIR or rudder pedals, I'd go for TIR.

If it breaks, I'll buy a new one instantly.

Hope that answers your question, although it is just my opinion  ;)

Edited by Bando
  • Upvote 3

I have Delanclip with Opentrack and can't fly without headtracking anymore. It has been working very well.

It's one of those things, that aren't essential until the moment you try it.

• Upvote 2

TrackIR is the best thing created for flight sims since the joystick. Get one today! :-D

• Upvote 1

If you can afford it skip trackIR and get an HTC Vive or the OR. VR is the best thing created for flight Sims since the joystick. Get one today!

A couple of weeks ago I would have said this was BS, but I recently tried a smartphone-based VR and was blown away by it. Went on a roller coaster ride and started getting scared as it climbed up the slope!!

Only thing I don't know is how VR would work for people who wear glasses for astigmatism?

I don't know what astigmatism is but I wear my reading glasses under my vive with zero problems.

Thanks - yeah astigmatism is just when your vision is somewhat blurry at all distances as opposed to being near- or far-sighted. Then if you have bifocals it throws some magnification on top of that.

I'm thinking that to use VR I'd need a pair of dedicated reading glasses - will look into that when the time comes.

I'm certainly not a great pilot (still trying to improve), but I sure love having TrackIR! As said above, it adds to the immersion greatly and it has made it easier to spot and track planes. Takes a bit to get used to when maneuvering but it's easier than using the joystick hat. If you have the money, go for it!

Could you please explain how the VIVE works in this game?

Does it work with ROF?

Please go into detail or give me a link to a review using ROF or another good flight sim. This could be something I need!

The part about track IR I hate is turning my had but keeping my eyes on the screen. Does the VIVE allow me to look behind to really check six? Like turn in my chair?

Many thanks

Edited by Lanzfeld

I flew for years without it and did just fine.

13/1 kill ratio on CoOp's with the old sim and wasn't hurting or wishing for Track IR

I only finally got it a few years ago because I couldn't manage the fast turning WWI fighters in RoF very well with the hat switch. Changes in direction just happen too quickly. Now in IL2 I wouldn't want to go back - but I could

TrackIR is the best thing created for flight sims since the joystick. Get one today! :-D

+1000!

Must buy!

TrackIR is really a good investment!

Would recommend it over a rudder for example...

But, 2 things to keep in mind before eventually buying one:

1) TrackIR doesn't work well if you have a "small" screen. The bigger your screen is, the better it works (because of sensibilities of movement detection). Avoid buying a trackIR if you play on a laptop, it will never work due to the screen size.

2) Don't buy a commercial trackIR... 150$ for this is pure scam. You can find other headtracking systems at lower prices (around 50$ generally) on other websites (can give you a link if you want, just PM me)

And if you have tools and some (basic) knowledge in electrical components and welding, you can build your own trackclip for less than 20$, use it with a modified PS3 camera (you can find plans for both the clip and the camera on internet easily). So you can have a working headtrack system for 25-30$. 

A friend built my headtracking system for example, a bit more complicated than a regular clip (since it's directly integrated in a Sehneiser headset), I had the headset before and it costed me 20$ of electrical components (3 infrared LEDs, a resistor, some cables + some plastic parts to maintain the LEDs) + 5$ for a second-hand PS3 camera (and 2 hours of work for my friend  :biggrin: ):

161112091957548597.jpg

Edited by -IRRE-Centx
  • Upvote 1

That is quite ingenious Centx. Very nice.

For the hassle involved on my end, being neither a welder nor particularly good with electrical components I'd just

buy another one if mine broke...but ingenious.

It's sort of like having rudder pedals, they're not needed but once you have them there's nothing like it.  I have a 11 year old v3 with 6DoF and use the reflector visor clip.  Works like a champ.

The thing is, with VR coming soon is it worth the investment?  Maybe go looking for a used one on ebay to hold you over if you think you'll be going to VR.

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95

Could you please explain how the VIVE works in this game?

Does it work with ROF?

Please go into detail or give me a link to a review using ROF or another good flight sim. This could be something I need!

The part about track IR I hate is turning my had but keeping my eyes on the screen. Does the VIVE allow me to look behind to really check six? Like turn in my chair?

Many thanks

I haven't used the vive with RoF. I don't know if there is any initial development on that platform.

You don't keep your eyes on the monitor, you can't see your monitor. You can't see anything but the game world. When you check six you have to turn your head as you would in the real world. It's 1 for 1 movement. There's no "if you move your head 1 inch the game world moves 5 inches" like one does with trackir. Checking ones 6 is hard in vr. Easy with trackir. If you get a chance to try one out do it, you won't be sorry.

I haven't used the vive with RoF. I don't know if there is any initial development on that platform.

You don't keep your eyes on the monitor, you can't see your monitor. You can't see anything but the game world. When you check six you have to turn your head as you would in the real world. It's 1 for 1 movement. There's no "if you move your head 1 inch the game world moves 5 inches" like one does with trackir. Checking ones 6 is hard in vr. Easy with trackir. If you get a chance to try one out do it, you won't be sorry.

My god this sounds like a dream!

I want 1 to 1

My god this sounds like a dream!

I want 1 to 1

But, unless you are going to use it for other games as well (of which some are mind blowing - especially the first experience), I would hold off until the real VR support is implemented into this game and you see some player reviews from it.

In the games current state, VR is NOT ready for general consumption.

• Upvote 1

Track IR is better than VR will be within 2-3 years easily. Do eeeetttttttt.

Which VR headset do you own?

Edited by Tripwire

Track IR is better than VR will be within 2-3 years easily. Do eeeetttttttt.

Since i possess a Track IR and a HTC Vive i can confidently tell you all that Track IR will never be as good as VR is already even with its current limitations.

But, unless you are going to use it for other games as well (of which some are mind blowing - especially the first experience), I would hold off until the real VR support is implemented into this game and you see some player reviews from it.

In the games current state, VR is NOT ready for general consumption.

true

An alternative for the Delan clip: Dunclip. I have one (live in Germany) and it works great.

I started to use trackIR at the times of ROF. And later with the launch of BOS in late 2013. Yes, when the Oculus DK1 usage in BOS was reported by a tech reviewer.

Since then, using DK1/DK2/CV1 I completely forgot TrackIR, which went to a box in the closet (In fact if you want it just send me a PM and a Fedex or UPS to my door).

After trying VR I realize that trackIR is a weird thing: Turning your head by x degress, the world rotates x*factor. 

This doesn´t happen in real life when you are inside a plane.

This doesn´t happen in VR neither.

In a real plane (where the seat is fixed) it is dificult to check your six, you have to twist your neck a lot. The same than in VR. In VR flight simulation I prefer to use a fix seat as well and don´t use a swivel chair.

I don´t understand the people who complain about using icons ( or just small dots in VR) but have no problem to acept using trackIR which give you an ability that normally is not available in real planes.

Before investing any money in trackIR I would recommend you to try a VR headset, they are available for demos in many places around the world:

http://www.roadtovr.com/where-to-demo-vr-try-htc-vive-playstation-vr-psvr-oculus-rift-touch-samsung-gear-vr-google-daydream-free/

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Upvote 2

If you can afford it skip trackIR and get an HTC Vive or the OR. VR is the best thing created for flight Sims since the joystick. Get one today!

If you are rich, you can buy VR now for 700 bucks, to throw it out the window, when v2 with acceptable resolution is available.

And it should not be concealed, that more than 50 % of users get motion sick very fast (less than 30 minutes). With TIR you can fly hours. If it works for you, great ! But not talking about the cons is not fair, as others could loose lots of money.

Isn't easier to made your own TrackIR? You pay only for camera and few cents for ir leds ... and instead of £35.99 you pay like ... 6£

Of course, I did build it but some people do not have to :)

If you are rich, you can buy VR now for 700 bucks, to throw it out the window, when v2 with acceptable resolution is available.

And it should not be concealed, that more than 50 % of users get motion sick very fast (less than 30 minutes). With TIR you can fly hours. If it works for you, great ! But not talking about the cons is not fair, as others could loose lots of money.

Yes there you are right.

For people that want to know more about VR here is the place to go:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe-LT9hCzsV4aqej1P-pEKw

He has lot of good videos about VR

Edited by Gunsmith86

For online fighting vr is not yet good, you can't judge properly position of enemy plane when he is in some distance from you.(tested in DCS and WT - my team mates have vive and oculus and they said yesterday that they are gathering dust after first weeks of use ) But if you gonna use only ground attack planes it could be fun. You primary job is not spotting contacts and fight against enemy's planes. My conclusion there are no better device for to be competitive in mp than TrackIR. BTW there are some who beat you using hat switch views :)

Edited by 307_Tomcat

BTW real cheap but very good hack to try vr in sim games is gear vr especially if you have Samsung Galaxy phone. Besicly you gonna be streaming video in 3d from PC to you head mounted display. With 5ghz wifi router and phone wifi nic (867Mbps) there are no lag and distortions. You can use TrackIR or build in gear vr positioning (no depth axies). There are soft to check -riftcat for playing steam vr and oculus games, trinus and intugame together with tridef 3d for games without native vr support. You can use other phones and third party hmds but Samsung has better resolution per eye even than oculus or vive and larger ppi.(1440x1280 vs 1200x1080) You can save further more money if you buy live demo unit - phone without GSM component used in phone salons. Oculus and vive has better fov 110 vs 101 and refresh rate 90 vs 60. Any way 9 deg wider Fov is not so much important because competitive dogfighting in vr is not good. 60 hz refresh rates we know how it feels from today's lcd-s - it's OK for air sims. There are no bigger sickness or nosia for ones who use gear vr vs rift ot HTC. It's very comfortable solution and cheap, you can check vr without any handicap, and wait for next generation - hopfly more suited for competitive mp scenarios.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

I don't get motion sickness so I can't comment on that. The only problem I have with vr is spotting. I'm hoping that there will be an option for customizable icons in the future to deal with that.

As for throwing it out when v2 comes along, we are pc users. We throw out graphics cards when a new one comes along. We upgrade all the time there's no difference. When was the last time you upgraded your graphics card? I don't play MP, I couldn't care less about it. The current resolution is acceptable for me in SP apart from spotting at distance. Those with trackir can zoom in to help with spotting, the vr users can not, this is where customizable icons would help. As I said "if you can afford it".

Once you go track, you never go back!

It took me about a week to get use to and to setup a profile I really liked (you can find a bunch that people can share with you, here).

Some hardcore people will say a hat is all u need which may be true in a way but head tracking is a complete no brainier!!!!! After I got it my success level sky rocketed

TrackIR just changes the way you fly. In RW, you really don't look that much at your instruments. You look at the landscape beneath you, you look at the sky and the clouds, and you look for other airplanes. Your head swivels around just naturally. For example, when I started to play flight sims many years ago I used to look at the instruments a lot. That made it a little unrealistic, but it was easier than remembering the key combinations for looking around.. In RW, for example when making a left turn after departing from an airfield, most pilots will not look at their compass heading. They will just look over their shoulder to determine where they are in relation to that airfield. Same in the sim when you have TrackIR - just turn your head to the left, and there's your airfield :)

Track IR or not shouldn't have ANY relation to how often you look at your instruments. As someone who flew for years and years without it, I can't relate to that post at all.