Wings over Flanders Fields

13 hours ago, ST_Catchov said:

I'm prepared to overlook that Dutch and am looking forward to its imminent release. Mind you, I don't have a VR headset anyway .... :icon_lol:

Then (if also not playing mp),  WoFF is the WW1 cfs for you, I can not improve what Trooper did wrote down earlier.  

Hell I’m 100% sure, if its getting 3D VR, that sterile FC will be deleted direct from my SSD.  Hi  @ShamrockOneFive why not publish this WoFF game at your website 😙  think its belong there besides FC. 

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

Then (if also not playing mp),  WoFF is the WW1 cfs for you, I can not improve what Trooper did wrote down earlier.  

Hell I’m 100% sure, if its getting 3D VR, that sterile FC will be deleted direct from my SSD.  Hi  @ShamrockOneFive why not publish this WoFF game at your website 😙  think its belong there besides FC. 

Primarily, because my time and ability to cover multiple sims is limited so adding potentially more sims to my list stretches me too thin. It also hasn't really grabbed my interest the way other sims have.

It's available...:good: Download is 9.55 GB. Took me just over 30 minutes to download. Yes I have a slow interwebs connection. Apparently my interwebs connection doesn't suck as bad as @Gambit21's. 

945988680_BHAH2available.thumb.jpg.9c1ec898bd1ad3a4afb050a37fcf46bc.jpg

445118140_BHAH2price.jpg.20fde84b40f8f5a45f00134a4091c0ad.jpg

Edited by busdriver
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, busdriver said:

It's available...:good: Download is 9.55 GB. Took me just over 30 minutes to download. Yes I have a slow interwebs connection.

OK...Don't EVEN try to have the slowest internet connection around here!

9.55 GB is easily a 4 hour download for me!

Let me know how you like that sim btw.

11 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Let me know how you like that sim btw.

I've always enjoyed this sim franchise. For the WWI SP fan it is superb! Getting my controllers programmed is a chore...I'll get to that after supper.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, busdriver said:

I've always enjoyed this sim franchise. For the WWI SP fan it is superb! Getting my controllers programmed is a chore...I'll get to that after supper.

I'm oddly sorta glad (and I guess I might as well be) that my budget only allowed for a Thrustmaster Airbus throttle...it will fee more WWII, WWI'ish than a Warthog.

I've decided that the most modern I'm willing to go is the Tomcat, and have decided to give WWI some attention this year as well.

Being stuck outside, with the engine and wind noise is fatiguing...in an immersive way.  :)

Edited by Gambit21

It really is rather good old chaps 😀

Up training with Captain Triggers, he calls me an imbecile a lot   😄

CF4AD66F-19EC-4985-A31B-9517435E61D1.jpeg

5273C943-19C8-42CA-9F8D-E2E8369DF841.jpeg

And and it wouldn’t be WOFF without a dawn shot

F66259EF-4E96-4127-A8DF-81FFF1CDB54E.jpeg

Edited by Adger
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
36 minutes ago, scram77 said:

I already own the PE edition.  Is this updated version with $60?

Do you mean worth $60 ? Then my honest opinion..yes Scram I think so. Don’t get me wrong I’ve only had it for a day and flown about 3 hours, the new sounds are incredible the FM feels better DM I can’t tell you because I’ve only been training so far. The scenery and colours are much better. Night lighting is better etc 

I paid £52 for it and even after a few hours I don’t regret my purchase at all. Btw there’s a features page that you can have a nosy at if you’re unsure.👍

Edited by Adger
  • Thanks 1

OK thanks both.  I haven't flown it since I got VR, but I used to love the feel of the game.  It's always managed to completely immerse you in the war, far more than other games have.

I'll have a read of the changes and go get my wallet...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, scram77 said:

OK thanks both.  I haven't flown it since I got VR, but I used to love the feel of the game.  It's always managed to completely immerse you in the war, far more than other games have.

I'll have a read of the changes and go get my wallet...

Your welcome pal, Yep it’s incredibly immersive. VR would be a game changer I hope one day it could be fully implemented like the guys here have done with FC and the Box series.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Adger said:

Your welcome pal, Yep it’s incredibly immersive. VR would be a game changer I hope one day it could be fully implemented like the guys here have done with FC and the Box series.

I think the guys have done such an incredible job with the engine they have, but there must be limit to what it is able to achieve.  Surely they can't cram anymore in?!  Would be amazing if they could, but I'll  not hold my breath, and just be happy with the game as it is.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, scram77 said:

I think the guys have done such an incredible job with the engine they have, but there must be limit to what it is able to achieve.  Surely they can't cram anymore in?!  Would be amazing if they could, but I'll  not hold my breath, and just be happy with the game as it is.

Absolutely agree Scram, and it’s just primarily 2 guys that do it, maybe they can cram more in in the future this from the features list 

“There's an interesting little Feature that OBD snuck into BHaH II.   

#77 - WOFF / OBD Theater now extends to the whole of the mapped region, as opposed to just the WW1 campaign region - for possible future expansions.”

imagine an Italian campaign,? They’ve already mentioned that there going to do more with WOTR next and then hopefully give us some new WW1 kites to fly.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Adger said:

Absolutely agree Scram, and it’s just primarily 2 guys that do it, maybe they can cram more in in the future this from the features list 

“There's an interesting little Feature that OBD snuck into BHaH II.   

#77 - WOFF / OBD Theater now extends to the whole of the mapped region, as opposed to just the WW1 campaign region - for possible future expansions.”

imagine an Italian campaign,? They’ve already mentioned that there going to do more with WOTR next and then hopefully give us some new WW1 kites to fly.

I would love to have a go flying some crates over the alps.  Would be a lot of fun!

Keep us updated on your experience with the game.  

• Like 1

A few from a Jasta 5 campaign earlier, the review screen after the mission i particularly like.

Also wanted to show the new after mission review screen showing what can happen elsewhere during a mission some craft destroyed by friendly fire, collided with another Alb, ect..

CFS3 2021-04-08 23-10-01.jpg

CFS3 2021-04-08 23-22-37.jpg

CFS3 2021-04-08 23-40-36.jpg

fast.jpg

Edited by Adger
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, jeanba said:

Yes, WOFF is "dawnscreenshotware" : if you do not post a dawn shot on a forum once every month, you are not allowed to play anymore :)

True enough...my fourth patrol with 2 Sqdn RFC flying the BE2c on a bright July morning. Hope I can stay alive long enough to transfer to an RE8 squadron eventually.

781348913_DawnPatrol00.thumb.jpg.ed61067557e975127400b85b16bf541a.jpg

And for 1GCCFPs that like the pretty pictures, here's the ugly step-sister of this franchise. Heavy cloud cover is not like any clouds I've ever seen. 

679703899_Sloggingthruthegoo.thumb.jpg.bf2fc60ede7b7fbcf6ad22ff5517ec9a.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah it is annoying Busdriver when the cloud sometimes appears like that, im assuming its a left over from CFS3 ?

Last ones for a bit..Doing circuits with Captain Triggers

CFS3 2021-04-09 02-41-06.jpg

CFS3 2021-04-09 02-46-47.jpg

CFS3 2021-04-09 03-00-59.jpg

• Like 2

Had a quick flight on the older version last night whilst I'm still deciding on whether to get the new one or not.  I'd not flown since Dec, but was dismayed to see that a lot of my controls had gone screwy.  In the end I didn't have the patience to re-map them all again.

Have there been any changes to the UI in the newer version, as I've always been a bit frustrated by the interface for WOFF?

Although have to admit - those screenshots look far crisper and more beautiful in this version

Edited by scram77
3 hours ago, scram77 said:

Had a quick flight on the older version last night whilst I'm still deciding on whether to get the new one or not.  I'd not flown since Dec, but was dismayed to see that a lot of my controls had gone screwy.  In the end I didn't have the patience to re-map them all again.

Have there been any changes to the UI in the newer version, as I've always been a bit frustrated by the interface for WOFF?

Although have to admit - those screenshots look far crisper and more beautiful in this version

I have owned the last four iterations of WOFF. I cannot see a huge difference with this latest version. The obvious cosmetic changes is colorized (b&w photos that had color added) photos for splash screens. 

The changes they’ve made to the AI routine is not automatically noticeable. Having said that, what is noticeable is AI breaking off to RTB or return to their patrols rather than chase bandits all the way home. Had one break off just as we got to no man’s land. I noticed they would break off in previous versions but it appears they do so earlier in BHAH 2. Maybe it’s a morale thing.

I feel your pain WRT to reprogramming your controllers. 

I have not been knocked over by the new “smudged goggles” feature. I disabled it but experienced game crashes. To their credit a hot fix was out before I saw the reports. But I was NOT a happy camper, uninstalling, checking gpu drivers, reinstalling, all the mandatory troubleshooting guidance the Devs put in the FAQs. My cursing Tourette’s was in full effect, then I saw the hot fix post. I had wasted a couple of hours and a lot of colorful language with that. 🤬

The appeal of BHAH 2 for me is the historical atmosphere (think careers) and honestly helping preserve our hobby just a little bit. But there is only so much they can do with the very old graphics. Let’s just say that it looks the same to me, or at least what I notice.

[edit] In the workshops they added a “Wingman” option that wasn’t documented. I asked and got a dismissive “didn’t think I would have to explain this” reply. I was looking for an explanation of what it would do. Turns out it really does nothing except designate a squadron pilot as your wingman. He doesn’t even fly on your wing (he’s on the opposite side of the formation). The wingman is a designation for you to sorta kinda feel responsible for his well being, you mean nothing to him. 

Edited by busdriver
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, busdriver said:

I have owned the last four iterations of WOFF. I cannot see a huge difference with this latest version. The obvious cosmetic changes is colorized (b&w photos that had color added) photos for splash screens. 

The changes they’ve made to the AI routine is not automatically noticeable. Having said that, what is noticeable is AI breaking off to RTB or return to their patrols rather than chase bandits all the way home. Had one break off just as we got to no man’s land. I noticed they would break off in previous versions but it appears they do so earlier in BHAH 2. Maybe it’s a morale thing.

I feel your pain WRT to reprogramming your controllers. 

I have not been knocked over by the new “smudged goggles” feature. I disabled it but experienced game crashes. To their credit a hot fix was out before I saw the reports. But I was NOT a happy camper, uninstalling, checking gpu drivers, reinstalling, all the mandatory troubleshooting guidance the Devs put in the FAQs. My cursing Tourette’s was in full effect, then I saw the hot fix post. I had wasted a couple of hours and a lot of colorful language with that. 🤬

The appeal of BHAH 2 for me is the historical atmosphere (think careers) and honestly helping preserve our hobby just a little bit. But there is only so much they can do with the very old graphics. Let’s just say that it looks the same to me, or at least what I notice.

[edit] In the workshops they added a “Wingman” option that wasn’t documented. I asked and got a dismissive “didn’t think I would have to explain this” reply. I was looking for an explanation of what it would do. Turns out it really does nothing except designate a squadron pilot as your wingman. He doesn’t even fly on your wing (he’s on the opposite side of the formation). The wingman is a designation for you to sorta kinda feel responsible for his well being, you mean nothing to him. 

OK thanks mate.  I appreciate the honest assesment.

UI is basically the same I never really had any issues with the interface though, thought everything was crisp and clear some personally..no issues there.

Graphics have certainly improved along with scenery, the sounds are fantastic one thing I’ve personally noticed , it seems to load quicker into the mission compared to previous versions, also feels a heck of a lot smoother in flight.

I agree with Busdriver it’s still based on a old games engine and at times you’ll get reminded of it but imho..it’s the best version yet of OBD,S WW1 sim. I agree regarding Wingman Busdriver..I kept mine off in workshop but I’m not sure why it was implemented. I also actually quite like the goggles effect (didn’t think I would).

ive certainly noticed differences graphics wise, sound wise FM and DM wise, Final thoughts..would I recommend it? Absolutely ..great immersion historical careers ive had 100,s of hours on WOFF PE and I believe that BHaH II is better in every way.

Have a great day folks

Regards.

• Like 3

Fully agree with Adger... the sounds are vastly improved, loading times better, much smoother gameplay.

I used to run PE with mods, but now don't really need them as BH&H2 has many improvements that has cancelled them out.

The modders may come up with something in the future so I will wait and see... for me, money well spent.

Oh, forgot to say, graphics are one area that I have seen improvements.

• Like 3

A nice visual improvement is seeing airplanes in formation bob up and down and the wings rock gently. That visual makes me smile. Like @Trooper117 and @Adger mention the sounds are better, specifically things like the creaking of airframe and sputtering of engines.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, busdriver said:

A nice visual improvement is seeing airplanes in formation bob up and down and the wings rock gently. That visual makes me smile. Like @Trooper117 and @Adger mention the sounds are better, specifically things like the creaking of airframe and sputtering of engines.

It’s amazing how much a creak, or rattle or vibration adds to the sense of being in the cockpit. These sounds are too often overlooked.

• Upvote 2

Caved and purchased last night.  Managed to download and set up my controls last night then get a couple of the training flights in.  I'd agree there is a definite improvement on all things, and it feels a lot smoother with better graphics and sounds.

Looking forward to getting my head buried in this for a while...although I'm sure once the new clouds drop in DCS I'll be pulled a way for a time.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, busdriver said:

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

It’s amazing how much a creak, or rattle or vibration adds to the sense of being in the cockpit. These sounds are too often overlooked.

I drove a 50-ies bus for real  a while in the 90-ies. Did not like the creaks, rattles and roars that much ... 

Doing sound for a film on an old 20-ies steamtrain was worse though. But i'll give the flight simming a shot, i am almost deaf any way LoL.

PS i bought FC2, fingers crossed that we can blackmail the IL2 crew to include a (collector?) Muromets.

Now that's a flying bus, or chicken pen. Nice in RoF.

Edited by jollyjack
On 4/9/2021 at 5:01 PM, busdriver said:

Nice one Busdriver on a different note, the issue you raised regarding the time advance and casualties..looks like they've sorted it. Nice find.

Quote from Pol

Thanks, we'll look into it.

Fixed in V1.02 (not yet released)

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like your thoughts on the new WOFF BHH 11 let me say I am not knocking WOFF at all what has been done to this CFS3 add-on is out of this world. BUT I have purchased all of the WOFF from the start and many years ago played online with it, I have the last versions of WOOF UE & PE so you are saying well what is he on about well I am a very old guy and I did not jump to buy the latest version of WOFF BHH11.

You see my main reason is the aircraft and how they fly it was a revelation when I flew ROF for the first time it was just how I imagined WW1 planes would fly for me, WOFF planes any one could take off and land them but ROF was diffrent  you had to learn how to fly them and it's the same with FS1 / FS2.

I have looked at a number of You tube videos of the new WOFF and see when they land has not changed as far as I can see so do the planes still feel the same as Ultimate Edition and Platinum Edition that I have, after all for me it is about flying and have the feel of a plane in the air.

When I saw the you tube video of a plane landing it made my mind up not to purchase it as it was just a updated version of what I already have ok a very good update, it has nothing to do with what is under the hood of WOFF it's the flying.

So how old is this original CFS3 add-on I say started around 2005 man that's old for a sim ?. The original addon was free and then they started to charge ( I dont blame them) but the price of the new version was another nail in the coffin for me.

So please do not compare FE1/2 with WOFF we all know WOFF would win BUT compare the flying and the cost for a very old updated version.

I’m involved in this CFS3-project starting from OFF2 and did leave WoFF/RoF because of VR.  The whole FC1 and reading about the N28  is/seems a bit of an disappointing. 

Are there any possibilities to transfer this WoFF game to 3D VR, with payware like Vorpx?  

On 4/29/2021 at 3:02 AM, Dutch2 said:

I’m involved in this CFS3-project starting from OFF2 and did leave WoFF/RoF because of VR.  The whole FC1 and reading about the N28  is/seems a bit of an disappointing. 

Are there any possibilities to transfer this WoFF game to 3D VR, with payware like Vorpx?  

Vorpx is a terrible program.  Don’t waste your money on it.  It doesn’t make a program 3D.  I know there are some YouTubers that boast energetically about how amazing it looks but in the end it is a full screen 2d image.

• Thanks 1