Sign in to follow this  
SAG

Please Help! I'm Grounded!

Hello everybody!

First of all Mods, dont bury this thread on other parts of the forum for a while please! i'm a little desperate :(

as some of you may know, i really like this sim and when i fly it ill fly it for hours, days, weeks and even months before i put it down for a while! generally i stop because i have a project or other matter to attend to in real life, but this time around, something happened. Windows 10 happened :(

see, i made my own controllers for the sim, a throttle quadrant and my pedals. They worked flawlessly on windows 7 but now that i had to reinstall windows 7 due to some issues i was having, i realized that Updates weren't available for that version anymore (i wish i had an alternative to windows) so i couldn't install one of the C++ Redistributables (so a lot of my applications wouldn't work). what a shitty move Microsoft, you're really screwing with me. anyway, i decided to finally go with Windows 10, i had recently purchased a Dx12 capable GFX card so why not?.

well, i installed everything, connected my controllers and they worked! so i went thorugh the tedious process of binding all my keys again and getting the Nvidia settings JUST right. flew for a while, tested version 2.004 for a bit, turned my computer off and went to bed.

when i went to fly again i realized that the PC was only recognizing one of my two controllers, they both showed up in Devices and Printers but only one of them worked (only one of them had the controller settings where you adjust sensitivity and responded in game).

now, i dont remember but when i made my controllers i do think i used different serial numbers and product IDs for the USB part of the code (the same vendor id from microchip though) but in the case that i didn't, maybe thats what is causing the issue? if thats the problem how come they were always recognized by W7Ultimate and not by W10PRO? does anyone know of a solution or third party app that can use my devices? (the devices were made to use windows generic HID device drivers)

I can get them to work by uninstalling the drivers for both controllers and unplugging and re-plugging, but it works 1 out of 30 tries (its not an exaggeration), but then i have to go through the key binding process all over again! (i would have to do this every time i want to boot the game up)

So please, please if you're a programmer/tech-savvy person that thinks can help me out, i beg you to do so! These are far too exciting times in BoM/BoS to be gorunded.

Sorry for the long post,

SAG. :salute:

• Upvote 1

Also, avoid "wireless" mouse / keyboard solutions - they can bring lot's of problems with USB controllers...

Edited by jcomm

I really hope you're gonna get your problems solved SAG  :unsure:

Though I'm very curious about your homemade controllers ;) Because the homemade TrackIR you told me how to do still works great, so I'd love to know more about the rest  :biggrin:

Do you have the latest windows updates? If you don't, then obviously fix that first.

Otherwise, do they currently show up in Windows devices?

If not..

Do they show up in the JoyID utility? (Can't find the original page, but another forum has a copy.)

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13009

If not..

Prehaps you could unplug it all then try to manually update the 'serial bus controller device' driver in device manager.

Restart, then plug everything back in once Windows boots again.

Out of interest, do you happen to use a Logitech G13 at all?

Yes i have the latest Windows 10 updates :)

only one of the two controllers show up in the App

post-31789-0-90992500-1478815120_thumb.png

I have tried to manually update the serial bus controller device but windows tells me its up to date :/

if i do remember correctly, when both devices are recognized, they both seem to be using the same controller settings both are labeled 10JOY9  (see the names of the devices in the picture above),and i dont know why, could this be the problem?

Thanks for the help! :)

I recently did a fresh install of win7; I initially had a problem with windows not recognising the certificates for my joystick. But I believe this was because I had thought all windows updates had been loaded but in fact the updates weren’t loading (because there were too many) and I spent ages faffing around until I found that I needed to manually update windows updater itself before I tried to update the rest of windows. Anyway, finally it seemed to work, but as this is Win10 this bit won’t really apply for you, but is background to the next bit:

I then found windows couldn’t remember my X55 throttle driver, the LEDs would light up on system start but then go out and the device was not recognised. Manually updating the driver through device manager got it to work, but each time I restarted it was forgotten again.

I tried various things with the drivers etc. but I finally got it working, simply by trying various different combinations of how I plugged things in to the USB connections. My suspicion is that maybe I have not got things correctly set up for the support of my USB ports so somehow some of them won’t support certain devices, but, it works for me now, and that is all that really matters to me. The other thing is I noticed that some of the cables coming out of the back of the pc were straining and this may have been physically affecting the USB connection, pulling it out ever so slightly? Maybe nothing but I made sure there was no strain anyway just for good measure itself.

So I would suggest, methodically go through every combination of plugging in your peripherals that you can before you spend too much time pouring over web searches for more complicated solutions, you never know it may work.

Hope you get it sorted, there is little that is more frustrating than a misbehaving computer.

ive tried many combinations, all that i could think of and i doesnt seem like there is a specific order that does the trick, it seems random when it works :/ 

there is no strain on the cables and i checked their integrity with a multimeter just to be safe

yeaah i would be happy if my computer just did what it did with windows 7 :(

Thanks for the tips! :)

Also, avoid "wireless" mouse / keyboard solutions - they can bring lot's of problems with USB controllers...

the only wireless thing i use is the Xbox360 controller wich doesnt need to install any drivers on W10 (they come with the OS by default)  :/

SAG my friend I really hope you get this figured out! The 19th misses you! I wish I had some advice  :(

Thanks Curious! i miss me some 19th action on TAW as well, hopefully the kind people of the forums will be able to help me fix this issue and get me back in the sky!

I really hope you're gonna get your problems solved SAG  :unsure:

Though I'm very curious about your homemade controllers ;) Because the homemade TrackIR you told me how to do still works great, so I'd love to know more about the rest  :biggrin:

I'm glad that tracker is working good for you, i recently realized that you can use a 33 ohm resistor on most IR leds (5mm) instead of the 230ohm that i think i told you to use (they would shine brighter with a lesser resesitance and make tracking even better!)

As for the other homemade stuff, i wouldnt reccommend my build right now because of the problems they have with windows 10 :/

now, i dont remember but when i made my controllers i do think i used different serial numbers and product IDs for the USB part of the code (the same vendor id from microchip though) but in the case that i didn't, maybe thats what is causing the issue? 

Maybe is the case (VID/PID), the fact that you use Microchip VID can be see by Windows10 as counterfeit and block the device - I see report  (in RC Drone forums) of  this happen with Chinese generic accelerometer, 

When Win7 came, the popular Leo Bodnar Bu0836 from the fist generations stop to work in this OS.

When Win8.1 came, BAUR have similar problem with the USB controller that he use in their devices.

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=830

Go to SimHQ or DCSW forums and try PM Mega_MOZG (MMjoy2 joystick controller firmware author), think he can help this this question.

Or perhaps some Microchip related forum can have a "light".

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

At the moment, I have put a shortcut on my desktop to the Windows device manager (Windows 10), because when my machine boots, a couple of my periferals (a throttle quadrant and some pedals) usually (but not always) seem dead, even though they're listed in the device manager.

All I do is "disable" them in the device manager (there's a button on the tool bar) and then "enable" them again. It's a bit of a bore, but it only takes a few seconds, and I think of it as part of a virtual checklist getting ready for turning the engines on, or something like that. Hope this helps.

(The devs have said that they're going to look at ways of improving how periferals are registered in the game, so maybe that'll help in future.)

Edited by No601_Swallow

Ok, if manually updating the driver does nothing for you. You need to try and Uninstall/Reinstall it.

First, unplug everything except for your mouse, keyboard and screen.

Uninstall the Serial Bus Controller.

Restart your PC.

After it boots into Windows again right click on your computer in the devices list and 'Scan for Hardware changes'.

That will automagically reinstall the Serial Bus Controller for you.

Plug in all your devices again.

Check your devices with JoyID etc as before.

If you have the same issue after all of that, then I do suspect a dud/duplicate VID. (See Sokol1 post where he mentions PM Mega_Mogz. )

I am doubtful that windows is blocking it due to a counterfeit - if that's the case it should have really happened to you a while ago - but it may be possible especially if it's one of those FTDI chips.

If you have access to a linux system there is a nice tool for unbricking FTDI chips by a guy called Mark Lord. 

I would probably try and talk to Mega_Mozg before you do that.

Good luck!  :)

Thanks a lot HippyDruid, I decided to make a new board with the MMJOY software and firmware that Sokol suggested, i figured itll take me less time the re-developing my own (i make my own boards by hand), maybe this way ill be able to fly before christmas! :D

I really appreciate the help!

I just wanted to stop by and say THANKS to anyone who helped me here! i love this community!

Its back to the drawing board but it wont be long before i get back in my La-5!

post-31789-0-53174000-1478921329_thumb.jpg