150GCT_Veltro

Seriously, IAR-80

Didn't know much about the IAR 80 and its variants. Decided to go full engineering student and become an expert overnight and I have to say I will be a very sad panda if this beaut isn't added. Just took the 80 and 81c for a spin in '46 against a veteran Yak-1 then Yak-1b to compare and glorious full on dogfighting was experienced.

Going off the '46 FM's, the non M105pf yak-1 had no chance once I put the Romanian radial on his six. But 4 brownings sure use a lot of ammo to shoot anything down.

For a more BoS-y scenario I put the 81c against the 1b and this was a much tougher fight:

o The roll rate of the IAR is a godsend in combination with a turn rate that feels on par with the 1b.

o You could feel the parachute like drag of that stupid bomb rack though so the 1b was definitely faster. I sense 190 tactics being used on the IAR by the VVS if this plane comes in the future.

o The climb rates were surprisingly comparable at least from my experience. I could go vertical with the 1b without losing much of an advantage. However I was barely able to keep the engine temps within their limits doing so.

o With liberal usage of combat flaps and once or twice dropping to take off flaps I was able to gain the advantage in 2/3 rolling scissor engagements. The one I didn't win involved the 1b starting with a much higher e advantage and he got to land a few hits but the rugged Romanian kept on brawling

o Shooting over the friggin' beak of this plane makes deflection shots in the La5 look easy. Could have won the fight much sooner if I had hit the easy gun solutions

o Speaking of vision, love the cockpit of this bird. Rear visibility is unfortunately maybe 10% better than a 109 with the rear plate but the layout and side/forward is straight 190

Conclusion: 1C take my money

And after a few more flights in '46, I can say there isn't a plane in BoS or BoM that the IAR shouldn't be able to tangle with. AI in the MiG-3 AM38 gave me the hardest time since it flew the MiG like a 109.

I-16 was a very fun fight. The IAR looks to be able to knife fight not too badly even against the Rata.

La-5 flown by a smart player would probably be the IAR's bane but it seems the AI thinks the 3200 kg Lavochkin has a chance in a pure angles fight with the 2700 kg Romanian Zero

P-40E or LaGG-3 ser. 29 vs the IAR? Probably bad AI strategy again but damn... no competition

I think the IAR could give us a few things:

A plane that may make some of the soviet aces want to come fly for the luftwaffe for a little bit as it offers a possibly similar feel to the Yak and a bit of challenge as well since "is not OP not stalling 109 helicopter"

A plane that will allow new luftwaffe players to actually smoke a couple unknowing Yak pilots if the Yak tries to do a pure turn fight with the IAR. I mean a few still haven't learned that "drop flap, stick to lap" don't work on the E7

And a plane for weirdos like me who want to fly all the planes that no one else really flies

(Yes I did make this signature and profile pic change just for this thread) 

It's a bit sad we have a so limited budget for this sim, first of all considering how Yak-1b has been released: really in a few time and with a very high quality standard.

IAR-80 is a must to have because of Stalingard and ETO, but we would need also Macchi 200 that's would be really fun to play versus Rata, and historicall correct as well.

This team has a very strong (capable) business planning, i hope 1C could (better) understand this.

• Upvote 1

And after a few more flights in '46, I can say there isn't a plane in BoS or BoM that the IAR shouldn't be able to tangle with. AI in the MiG-3 AM38 gave me the hardest time since it flew the MiG like a 109.

With respect, using the old sim's flight models to evaluate the IAR's capabilities against real world opponents, or opponents in the new sim isn't well advised.

With respect, using the old sim's flight models to evaluate the IAR's capabilities against real world opponents, or opponents in the new sim isn't well advised.

Well yes of course. Unfortunately '46 the only sim in my library with an IAR though, just sharing some anecdotal thoughts. I relish the thought of how a IAR would perform in this version of IL-2 as well as being able to hear the soundtrack of another radial beast in this game.

And speaking of radials, MC200 as well please! 12.7 mm spaghetti gets such a bad rep but I don't mind the performance of the guns on the 202. We got the Italian sports car hardtop now we just need the Cabriolet 

I have to admit I'm completely ignorant about that aircraft - looks cool though.  :salute:

Perhaps it'll show up as another single plane purchase, but we'll see. I'll happily throw my money at pretty much anything the devs release!

Did some number crunching and using the numbers from '46 for the IAR and the numbers from BoS for the other planes I have com up with this:

Power to weight (Hp/Kg)         Wing Loading (Kg/m^2)

IAR 81a              0.3799                                     169.1

Yak-1                  0.4229                                     171.0

LaGG-3              0.3928                                     180.3

P-40E           0.3849/0.3011                               174.2

(Max/Take off)

Also from '46 the sea level top speed in 480 km/h and a max speed of 540 km/h at 7000m

From BoS the P-40E does 494 km/h at sea level with a max speed of 601 km/h at 5000m

So the IAR should have speeds similar to a P40, acceleration and climb a little less than the LaGG-3, and a turn performance similar to a Yak-1. Sounds like a blast to me!

Edited by II/JG17_Fauster

Loved the IAR in IL-2 46, deserves a place in BoS

I remember an old mission/campaign that pitted you against various combatants in an 'arena' style combat? 

for some reason I always 'picture' Terry Thomas as a typical IAR 80/81 Pilot  :)

personally I always prefered lower performance aircraft matchups than the later war La 7/Yak 3/P 51/D9/K4. etc. high performance A/C

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 4

I think the plane modules in here work with real wind tunnel data and real NACA profiles. To make this plane would require that mathematical information which may not be available. The team would also need Operations Manuals as well and other data like Pilot Notes. I'd like to see it too to make some early war missions but we have to respect their efforts. They have given us high quality flight models and I do not think they will settle for anything made "half-assed".

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SPEKTRE76 said:

I'd like to see it too to make some early war missions 

Not only early war and not only Soviet opponents. In 1943 Romanian IARs have been intercepting USAAF heavies quite effectively, and as late as June 1944 they clashed with USAAF P-38s, both sides suffering severe losses. Only in July 1944 they were withdrawn from service.

That said, I agree fully on the "half-assed" point. :)

Edited by CrazyDuck

1 hour ago, SPEKTRE76 said:

I think the plane modules in here work with real wind tunnel data and real NACA profiles.

Hmmm....did anyone really put a U-2VS in a wind tunnel?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Surely it would come out backwards?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Let's find out.

I do not see any but I am pretty sure this engine works using advanced math. I seriously doubt they just type in Wikipedia numbers. A NACA Profile is most likely needed. This plane uses a NACA-230 Airfoil.

http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/details?airfoil=naca23015-il

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Data like this, is what is needed.

Edited by SPEKTRE76

If they've found the information about ww1 planes and the MC202 for example, they can definitely find the information for the IAR 80.