AnPetrovich

Developer Diary, Part 138 - Discussion

Hi pilots!  :salute:

Today I am honored of carrying our weekly developer diaries duty, and I am pleased to share with you the news about our work on the IL-2 BoS/BoM/BoK physics model.

Usually the "1C Game Studios" engineering department conducts parallel developments on several fronts. This past week has been no exception.

The first news I would like to tell you is that we have completed work on the development of the physics model for the Yak-1b 127 series, and now the aircraft is under internal "factory" testing. We plan to pass it to our beta testers in about a week.

Historically, the Yak-1b ser.127 was the result of systematic refinement and improvement of the Yak-1 during its serial production. The main external difference between 127th and the early series is...

Coming back to the most important results last week’s work on the aircraft physics model in IL-2 BoS/BoM/BoK, I would like to emphasize the fact that we finally managed to complete an important research carried out under a physics model further development task, announced back in 120th developer’s diaryWe were able to establish the root cause of some excessive roll reactions of our aircrafts on the rudder.

Another interesting subject we touched during last week was an additional investigation of the MiG-3 behavior on its landing gear.

November has set in and we have the first snow on the ground here in Moscow last week. The smell of winter is clearly felt in the cold air, but it is hot as usual in the "IL-2" flaming skies over Stalingrad and Moscow. And to throw some firewood into the bonfire to make sure our pilots are not getting bored waiting for the arrival of a new war machine to the front, I would like to conclude by sharing with you the official set of Yak-1b 127 series color schemes.

See you in the "IL-2" sky!

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 10

Wow - thanks for giving us some insight into developments and improvements coming for the flight models. Very excited about the research into side slip and rudder induced roll! Thankyou.

Thanks. This is looking promising. Bright future ahead.

Very interesting stuff! Things are clearly going forward nicely on every department, thanks for the report  :salute:

First snow also in Finland, looks pretty nice after long dark autumn.

• Upvote 1

We were able to establish the root cause of some excessive roll reactions of our aircrafts on the rudder

YES!

Thank you! This is a great news.

AnPetrovich, you are a natural! Great Developer's Diary, and congratulations to all the aviation engineering team for the progress made so far. Things are looking very, very good :)

The Yak-1b skins are very nice as well, it's great to see it coming to life.

Edited by 55IAP_Lucas_From_Hell

I must admit that I am a bit surprised to see comments about the 109 prop hanging ability being investigated. I would've placed my money on the Yak with flaps deployed as being suspect in that area of the flight envelope, not the 109 but then I'm primarily a 109g2 pilot.

If there is something wrong with the 109 though let's get it fixed.

• Upvote 2

I like the skin of Marcel Lefèvre (Normandie Niemen) and his Le Père Magloire ! :)

And the french number 6 looks like the n°11 of Albert Durand, nice too !

All these news sound good !

Edited by NN_Fahrenheit
  • Upvote 2

This was a gread read. Good job Petrovich  :good:

Exciting to hear about the upcoming changes to rudder dynamics. I've often felt, that the aircraft rolled a bit too much with rudder input, but since I'm not a pilot, I never felt qualified to tell, if it was wrong. Glad to see you once again prove your commitment to making this an ever more accurate sim.

To me it's very good news, that you're continuing to look into the ground behavior of the MiG. The new ground physics have been a great improvement overall, so it's a bit sad to me, that it has rendered my favorite ride close to unmanageable on the ground.

I am looking so much forward to the Yak-1b. It looks just about done. I thought it would be released together with the Ju 52 and the Bf 109G4 in December, but now I get the sense, that it's coming in an earlier update this month? Is that correct?

That cockpit view is amazing and the forward view appears not too restricted, which should save us a couple of 50-page threads (Too bad really, I was working on a "A Fw 190 and a Yak-1b walk into a bar"-joke)

The skins look awesome as well, but I'm a bit sad to see, that my favorite Yak-1b (here incorrectly labeled as a Yak-1m), that of Albert Durand, didn't make the cut.

1_64.jpg

All in all another great update, please don't ever stop making these, they are a joy to read.  :salute:

Thank you very much for your very informative updates , all your hard work for providing to us the most accurate flight model.

Thank you very much for showing us the yak skins. I have to say that the choice is very very good! I do not believe a better skin choice is possible! However the skin Finkered showed is fantastic!

Edited by Nil

Good that you have acknowlaged the Bf109 prop hanging issue. I hope that can be resolved soon.

I must admit that I am a bit surprised to see comments about the 109 prop hanging ability being investigated. I would've placed my money on the Yak with flaps deployed as being suspect in that area of the flight envelope, not the 109 but then I'm primarily a 109g2 pilot.

If there is something wrong with the 109 though let's get it fixed.

Good point here.

However, the prop hanging was present also in the old IL2, and it was related to the manual prop pitch "cheat".

Awesome DD! It's great to hear from people working in all departments :)

Can't wait for the new Yak mmm...

It's good that people can see the team really investigates problems. Hopefully it will silence the "conspiracy theorists".

Thx for taking the time for this extensive writeup Petrovich, very enjoyable read.

We were able to establish the root cause of some excessive roll reactions of our aircrafts on the rudder. Oddly enough, we reached the proper behavior of the aircraft through more detailed modeling of the fuselage aerodynamics. By the way, I never cease to be surprised at how bizarre and sometimes non-trivial relationships of aerodynamics and flight dynamics are woven together, when the solution of the problem in the end is not quite where you expected it to be. Nevertheless, we have conducted a number of internal experiments with one of the airplanes, and they showed very good results: the ailerons deviation for slip compensation significantly reduced, the aircraft has acquired the ability to perform deep coordinated sideslip, including at low airspeeds, which is useful on final approach. And when pushing the pedal with the fixed stick the aircraft instead of performing a roll begin to fall into a bank putting the nose down.

This sounds very exiting and is exactly what I've been hoping for. Your description of the reworked behaviour totally matches my real flight expirience. Can't wait to give it a try no matter how long it takes! :)

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

Fantastic update,

really interesting stuff, the attention to detail is quite stunning. Thanks.

oh! and that shot of the red-tailed Yak only feet above the water..............stunning!!!!

:salute: 

Thank you for taking the time, good engineering is what makes a sim a sim, and it certainly appears you know what your looking for. I for one am happy to trust your better judgment on this.

​Pic 1, 9 and 11 are my favourites of the bunch of Yak-1b 127's, (all gorgeous tho).  

Rear visibility, protected sights, nice :)  

Thanks again for the communication and insight.

We were able to establish the root cause of some excessive roll reactions of our aircrafts on the rudder.

Congratulations ! This will be the most important FM patches since start of the project.

I like the skin of Marcel Lefèvre (Normandie Niemen) and his Le Père Magloire ! :)

And the french number 6 looks like the n°42 of Albert Durand, nice too !

All these news sound good !

Being French too, I couldn't agree more ;)

I might get myself the Yak-1b then, I wasn't concidering it, but after all, why not ? ;)

All in all another great update, please don't ever stop making these, they are a joy to read.  :salute:

+1.  Another fascinating update.

I wonder if the new work on physics modeling will have an effect on the handling of the FW-190? I'd love to fly this aircraft more but ,at least for me, it has such a vicious snap roll ( very lethal close to the ground) that I simply pass it by unless I can use custom settings to try to modify its behavior.I guess we;ll have to wait & see... :salute:

ace2_zpsed225522.jpg

Great read, about rudder and roll - the new to be released planes (Yak1b&109g4) would have that corrected (modeled) accordingly to outcome of new research?

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Nice update and thanks for all your hard work!  Now that you've found the "root cause of some excessive roll reactions" I hope you can do the same for the overly sensitive and jumpy pitch reactions.   ;)

Great update as always, nice skins for the  Yak-1b 127 series

however, please add a red-nosed version to the list

1_14_b3.jpg

What I appreciate about these updates in general is the acknowledgement that Il-2:BoX is a "work in progress" and they are trying to make it better in all areas. No more "all is right, be sure".  :good:  

I agree, that is outstanding how the dev team are improving this sim in every way, from the dogs barking to the flight model..... impressive!

That cockpit view is amazing and the forward view appears not too restricted, which should save us a couple of 50-page threads (Too bad really, I was working on a "A Fw 190 and a Yak-1b walk into a bar"-joke)

Well, the glass reflection thing affects a little bit the IL-2 and Yak-1B as well. The divisions between the armored glass panels are thinner because of this and don't obstruct the view that much in comparison to the in game ones.

maxresdefault.jpg

205853.jpg