hotshotmike1001

Flying Over Moscow??

i was  enjoying my  Moscow  Aircraft  and then i spotted  Moscow so i wanted to visit it  and it sayed turn around your leaving the combat Zone?    is That area  Off Limits or just not built

i was  enjoying my  Moscow  Aircraft  and then i spotted  Moscow so i wanted to visit it  and it sayed turn around your leaving the combat Zone?    is That area  Off Limits or just not built

Its meant to be viewed from a bit further out because modeling such a big city is too much for a small dev team and they would not have been able to model it to their standard, but the surroundings are actually quite well modeled, there are also some nice unique buildings there to check out.

...there are also some nice unique buildings there to check out.

Indeed! like the factory that produced the Pe-2 on the outskirts. You may actually be able to land on their runway without being turned around... someone should try that!

Yeah, the first thing I tried to do when I first flew the Moscow map was to try to fly over Moscow.  I wanted to fly along the Moskva and check out things like Red Square and the Kremlin.  I was really disappointed when I got turned around.

I'm hoping that we will get it eventually.  I'm sure it was originally planned and had to be abandoned due to dev team resource limitations.

I think it has more to do with computer power required than dev team size. It would take a lot of processing power to display the whole city to a satisfactory detail. Its a bummer, but the way the devs explained it a while back made a lot of sense with the hardware limitations that we have to deal with.

Indeed! like the factory that produced the Pe-2 on the outskirts. You may actually be able to land on their runway without being turned around... someone should try that!

First place I'll visit with my Lufthansa Ju-52...or at least try to!!! I have some German General Staff officers who would like to get a closer look at Moscow... ;)

Deeply disappointed as well :(

At least we could bomb London day and night in CloD. And not to forget the famous flight path that leads beneath Tower Bridge :D.

Though, sadly, HMS Victory was missing from Portsmouth...

First place I'll visit with my Lufthansa Ju-52...or at least try to!!! I have some German General Staff officers who would like to get a closer look at Moscow... ;)

Tried that yesterday, landing on Moscows main aeroport (Khodynka, surrounded by aviation industry and test facilities). No go. I made landing approach then was turned around seconds before wheels hit the ground.

Maybe you can taxi there, though :).

Edited by Trupobaw

Ha, that's funny. Trying to fly over Moscow was the first thing I went to do after shooting down an adversary and was surprised I couldn't. Oh well, maybe somewhere down the road then.

I suspect the map will be extended to include Moscow once the DN engine has been upgraded to DX11 and the devs have some spare time.

I suspect the map will be extended to include Moscow once the DN engine has been upgraded to DX11 and the devs have some spare time.

"Spare" time?

Good one

• Upvote 1

"Spare" time?

Good one

Perhaps when they're idle after Kuban production. Much as they produced the Yak-1b and Ju-52 after BOM to keep the team working while management secured money and defined the scope of the next project.

I would rather see it as an integrated community mod. Building Moscow accurately takes so many resources, manpower wise, that it would just not be financeable.

Edited by 216th_Jordan
  • Upvote 3

I wish one day a flight sim will use the 3d mesh and textures from Google Earth (obtained by photogrammetry), that's the ONLY way to fly low in realistic cities, even a very large dev team couldn't model New York such precisely.... maybe one day!!   (but for ww2 scenery - ???)

Edited by ZnarF

Well, as stated above, I'm quite the realism buff, but in this case, I think that a Moscow with the layout of the 40s, but consisting mainly of generic buildings along with some special ones, just like London in CloD, would have done for me.

In the otherwise-pretty-uniform landscape west of Moscow, this would have been the one refreshing sight. I do not concur with the stated cost-vs.-usefulness calculation made.

So, for now, sadly, we have to make do with the lame statement: "Well, we play BoMoscow without... Moscow! tee hee..." :(

Edited by Redroach

Perhaps when they're idle after Kuban production. Much as they produced the Yak-1b and Ju-52 after BOM to keep the team working while management secured money and defined the scope of the next project.

They have their roadmap now - no spare time.

As soon as Kuban is close to release I imagine work will begin in earnest on the Pacific by those team members no longer needed for Kuban. In fact I'd wager modeling and map building will begin some weeks before Kuban is released.

Furthermore the research and referece gathering for a 3D model takes considerable time. I'd be tasking anyone who is idle/finished with their BoK work to research for the next release.

All that said, considering the resources/man hours it would take to properly model Moscow - I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by Gambit21

Well, as stated above, I'm quite the realism buff, but in this case, I think that a Moscow with the layout of the 40s, but consisting mainly of generic buildings along with some special ones, just like London in CloD, would have done for me.

In the otherwise-pretty-uniform landscape west of Moscow, this would have been the one refreshing sight. I do not concur with the stated cost-vs.-usefulness calculation made.

So, for now, sadly, we have to make do with the lame statement: "Well, we play BoMoscow without... Moscow! tee hee..." :(

If you are quite the realism buff then you will know that apart for a couple of night raids early in the campaign there was no "flying" battle over Moscow

Now as a sightseeing or what if scenario, being able to fly over Moscow would be great, but a lot of work to create a large city for this purpose

But Historically it is not needed for "Battle of Moscow" because it took place on the approach to the city

Cheers Dakpilot

yeah, I know it wasn't all too much fighting/bombing going on over Moscow - yet here we are in the Battle of Moscow and, aside from infantry reports that they could see the golden kremlin roofs in their 'Feldstecher's, this is all the German side got.

I, for one, would gladly use the feature of bombing targets in Moscow extensively.

And, after all, who would have been okay with not modeling Hawaii and Pearl Harbour in the old Il-2 despite there having been only one major battle?

While I'm mostly okay with all the other decisions, here, I believe that sometimes, you gotta do things for prestige value.

moscou is completly modeled  in Bom  !! , you can  fly only  over the ouest side  , also the town not appears suddently as on a old game like Cod , the town is completly visible regardless distance you are .

I prefer this red message for turn when you are near the limite rather than  flying on a no man's land , also no problem  historically for that .

and since some time we have  small white balloons for air defense in the sky .

Edited by sport02

Well if it's already modeled, but but flying over just presents a challenge to computer resources atm, that's another matter.

it seems  to me that the reason is the limit of map near moscou only  and not fps , my game run well near the town .

Edited by sport02

Well if it's already modeled, but but flying over just presents a challenge to computer resources atm, that's another matter.

Hmm, need to make a mission where the Moscow city objects are somewhere where you can fly, and then check :)

Apparently the buildings aren't modelled to same standard as rest of map  - only sufficient to look ok from distance.

Apparently the buildings aren't modelled to same standard as rest of map  - only sufficient to look ok from distance.

Exactly.  I even heard a rumor that there is a video somewhere that shows a flight through Moscow and its not pretty up close.

Yes. Then again, there are different sims for sightseeing.

That would make the most sense considering the outlay of resources it would take to model in detail, only to make it off limits.