Sign in to follow this  
Stolle

Birds?

Has anyone else seen birds in the game?  I crash landed in a field and flipped over. When the game switched to outside

view of my aircraft, a bird came out of the grass and flew away.  

OMG the sim has become so realistic, it's got its own evolving ecosystem going :unsure:

• Upvote 1

No birds yet, but I scared a family group of Chupacabra's out of the grass when I crash landed yesterday.

• Upvote 1

I've noticed these "birds" too. It's debris flying away. From some angles it can really look like a bird flapping its wings.

Ihr habt alle einen Vogel! ;)

So Birdstrike is the next feature coming with 2.005? :)

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Upvote 1

Ihr habt alle einen Vogel! ;)

So Birdstrike is the next feature coming with 2.005? :)

New tactical opportunities to be sure:

• Upvote 1

Oh I can't wait to turn a murder of crows into well...

a murder of crows.

(Sorry)

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 2

It seems a small point and may seem churlish, but ever since I started flying flight sims it has always puzzled and bothered with me why actual birds are never depicted in the game. They don`t need to be in your face or even interact (by colliding), but there should be birds seen flying somewhere, even in the distance.

We owe flight to birds as it is THEY we looked at and envied that made men seek a way to fly. They deserve some credit in flight sims.

That said, I have heard birds whistling when on the ground, but I think that`s completely incidental and isn`t any kind of `ode` to birds at all.

Now I await the ridicule.

• Upvote 1

Let's start with documentation for right FM.

http://style.org/unladenswallow/

Edit: Damn!!! Sorry but isn't for russian regions.. but could be useful for a north african theatre.  :hunter:

Surprisingly interesting read! I had no idea the Strouhal number could be correlated with flight efficiency, and even more, that dimensionless parameters could be used to accurately predict the velocity of such complex machines as birds.

thank you!

Yeah, I guess it probably was some type of debris from the aircraft...it sure did look like a bird though  :fly:

It seems a small point and may seem churlish, but ever since I started flying flight sims it has always puzzled and bothered with me why actual birds are never depicted in the game. They don`t need to be in your face or even interact (by colliding), but there should be birds seen flying somewhere, even in the distance.

We owe flight to birds as it is THEY we looked at and envied that made men seek a way to fly. They deserve some credit in flight sims.

That said, I have heard birds whistling when on the ground, but I think that`s completely incidental and isn`t any kind of `ode` to birds at all.

Now I await the ridicule.

Did CloD not have seagulls (and cows) as a graphics only feature (ie no collisions). I am sure I have seen them somewhere.

As sprites they must be easy to do, convincing as long as they were not allowed to come too close.

• Upvote 1

I've seen a few Dodo's on this forum, and a Booby or two.

I've seen a few Dodo's on this forum, and a Booby or two.

Nothing wrong with boobies, though I prefer a pair of great tits myself.

GreatTit002.jpg

There were rumors of birds in European Air War but I never saw any.

There were rumors of birds in European Air War but I never saw any.

I played that sim A LOT. In fact it got me into flight simming online. Never saw any birds.

Did CloD not have seagulls (and cows) as a graphics only feature (ie no collisions). I am sure I have seen them somewhere.

I don`t have that.

Thinking hard there might`ve have been seagulls in Rowans Battle of Britain though. Can`t remember. Must check that sim again.

Just found out - they're being implemented with the Ju52

angry-birds-rio-smugglers-plane-leaked-l

I've seen birds in FSX/P3D. A lot of birds in Orbx scenery. They really add to the ambiance I don't think they have a collision model although I've never hit any to find out.

One of the older sims had deer. Maybe EAW? Janes? It was that generation of game anyway.

I think it was Janes. But that sim was all about details on the ground anyway.

It was Janes WW2 Mammals - I have distinct flashbacks of strafing Bambi but not feeling at all guilty. Now, all these years later I dream about it and remember... and still do not feel guilty. It had a nice little fox as well IIRC.

However, back to BoX - actually having no animals on the maps is entirely realistic - with a million or so hungry armed men in the area, any visible wildlife would end up in the pot without delay. (Perhaps not the foxes, but on the Eastern front, who can tell?)