Han

Developer Diary, Part 135 - Discussion

I'm not sure if I understood correctly. Does the work in the background affect the current mission (still being played in the server) or the next one?

Both.

Current mission is under "external control" during its playtime on the server. Logs monitoring program work in parallel with server. Server throws next log part every 30 seconds. Program analyze this peace and sends commands back to the server through Rcon if neccessary. Rcon - is a remote console, supported by game server.

When mission ends, the next one is already prepeared by our mission producer and starts immidiately after 60 seconds of mission results screen, without server restart.

This cockpit-heating sistem was introduced in autumn 1940, in Bf110E.

post-1464-0-58638000-1476422073_thumb.jpg

Anyone happen to know if the Bf-110 G2 used the four WGr-21 rockets during the Kuban engagement? I know they did at some point and I thought I saw that the WGr-21 was available mid-1943, but haven't found anything about them in relation to Kuban. It would be fun to use rockets on the Germany side of things! Looks like we will already have some nice armament options based on the pictures though. Should be fun times ahead with all these new additions/changes!

1. WGr21 first ordered to install on 2. August 1943, and on 15 August 1943, first Bf110G-2's delivered from factories with /M5 designation, carrying 4 x 210mm missles. They were supplied to III./ZG26. Soon, during autumn 1943, all "Reich defence" Gruppen of Bf110 and Me410 were equipped with WGr.21. It saw combat use only from late aug. 1943, and only on Western front.

Excellent news,

Frankly I did not except that you would do so much improvements! 

Excellent direction! keep up the good work!

Edited by Nil

Flying jabos and bombers would have more sense now, I hope. Their influence on the battle should count as it was in RL.

happy times ahead

This cockpit-heating sistem was introduced in autumn 1940, in Bf110E.

attachicon.gifheat.jpg

1. WGr21 first ordered to install on 2. August 1943, and on 15 August 1943, first Bf110G-2's delivered from factories with /M5 designation, carrying 4 x 210mm missles. They were supplied to III./ZG26. Soon, during autumn 1943, all "Reich defence" Gruppen of Bf110 and Me410 were equipped with WGr.21. It saw combat use only from late aug. 1943, and only on Western front.

Panzerbar,

You must eat and sleep BF110.

However, I'm glad we have somebody as knowledgeable as you who is always happy to assist with so many questions and is always willing to share your information for the greater good/benefit of the IL2 community.

Thank you!!

Haza

• Upvote 1

Just a a note for the pilots that haven't fly in coop style missions in old IL2.

With coop back then we could fly in online dynamic wars, it was working like this, flyer was occuping a slot in HyperLobby under the host (usually 16 peeps 8 for VVS/OKL). Then a "request" was done in the wars site from each side acording to what was happening on the tactical map at the moment, so it might be a ground attack or high alt bombing a recon mission, sector capturing etc. The opposing side didn't know what you ll do until mission starts but half of the force of every side was assigned to defend and half for the requested task. Then mission was downloaded to the host and started. That means, no empty server, always sure that you ll find opponents, all start same time and better cooperative flying even if the flyers didn't know each other. At the end the results where uploaded to site that changed the tactical map according to results of each team. Meaning that whatever you do affects all flyers, which means more responsibility and seriousness.

The catalyst for all these was HyperLobby, it makes communication , mission setup, and all else very easy, I hope that developers will implement it with the introduction of coop missions, I think of it as essential for all kinds of mission starting and general on the spot communication of the community, I strongly believe that it will also help to bring some more peeps over here .

We allready have an auto-login auto-start for single player missions in the sim, I hope it's not so hard to convert this for coop or dogfight type of missions. It think it's easier for the developers to do this instead of making from scratch something similar in the sim itself that will consume time and money (both limited) from other aspects of the sim.

My hope :)

• Upvote 1

With the greatest respect guys, there is no point at all going on about the Hyperlobby as we have already been told by Jason that it's not going to happen. We will have to find another way organise ourselves.

With the greatest respect guys, there is no point at all going on about the Hyperlobby as we have already been told by Jason that it's not going to happen. We will have to find another way organise ourselves.

True. But we should also keep in mind that Jason understands what HyperLooby did for for the community and he has said that he would like to see something like that in a future time.

I'd love to see a bit of the kind of thing that say... Battle.net has in StarCraft II or Diablo III where you may be playing single player but if you want to, you can be online and be sent messages by friends who want to connect for multiplayer matches.

We know they know its important... It will come eventually!

All good news and interesting developments, both the coop ideas and the 3D designs showing some of the

aircraft types featured in BOK.

Next time, I am hoping to see some Allied 3D images of the Spit or/and P-39, as well as the new Soviet designs :salute:

The train has left the station and is chugging away merrily. Great news guys, I believe coop is essential for this sim although I am not an online pilot. The 110 looks great with the weapon mods. Bought myself the JU52 this afternoon, from dad to dad. All is well in Dodge.

Also in RoF, it is not possible to start a co-op game if there is only one player, so the single player has no other option than to leave. If the player could start, then other players could join while the game is in progress and ask (or vote) for a restart

I can make a server start a co-op and fly Co-ops on my own in ROF that is what I have been doing for the past few weeks.

The rest of the places are AI it works well and you can run the server and fly the co-op on the same computer the coding

is not that difficult to run nor is the game engine.

Pretty interesting posts today.

Edited by WTornado

I can make a server start a co-op and fly Co-ops on my own in ROF that is what I have been doing for the past few weeks.   The rest of the places are AI it works well and you can run the server and fly the co-op on the same computer the coding is not that difficult to run nor is the game engine. Pretty interesting posts today.

In dserver mode ? 

Thanks for the info! Too bad it wasn't on the Eastern Front. Though I wouldn't be terribly upset if they sneak that in as an armament option, but I suppose that's a slippery slope. :)

Either way, I'm looking forward to using the 110 in the Kuban setting, should be tons of fun!

Edited by Medicated

Thanks for the info! Too bad it wasn't on the Eastern Front. Though I wouldn't be terribly upset if they sneak that in as an armament option, but I suppose that's a slippery slope. :)

Either way, I'm looking forward to using the 110 in the Kuban setting, should be tons of fun!

The 110G-2 is going to be a ton of fun I think. As much as people were saying that its just another 110 variant... the different (sometimes very different) armament options like the BK3,7 and MG151/20 gunpod make this a different aircraft. Definitely adds some different options!

• Upvote 3

Kali and Hyperlobby were a necessity just due to an absence of a built-in server listing that worked. Don't just keep re-doing old stuff just because of rose colored glasses some wish to wear.

800 people in hyperlobby, 200, or less, in games. The majority of data through the hyperlobby servers was chat rather than server matchmaking. And obviously, "what if we want to chat" - well, those already exist.

Looking forward to all of the new and innovative stuff the team comes up with. There are very few items to re-use from those days - the days of trying to figure out how to transition from 16 player max client hosted games to dedicated server hundred player hosted games and that was the niche Kali and Hyperlobby served. Not needed anymore, lets get some newer stuff going and I am certain this team will produce absolutely top quality stuff.

Edited by FuriousMeow

i think it would be best to add 30mm cannons and 21cm rockets to the Bf 110 now, instead of making another BF 110 G-2 later

Are we not getting 110s 30mm mods because of time line??

No, there would be no MK108 and WGr.21, because of timeline and theater of operations.

Just a few words to congratulate the whole development team. Battle of Kuban is an excellent transition to a future sea based theater of operations. As new theaters come along, and new planes as well as graphical improvements are also made available to the previous releases. I think this is an excellent approach to keep all releases up to date. A continuously evolving, improving WWII air fight simulator with a varied collection of theaters, maps and airplanes. Frankly what more can we ask. Long live the IL2 saga.

Thanks for the update Han.  Coop mode is greatly appreciated!  Looking forward to Kuban development very much :salute:

Good update, looking forward to coops and an Online War type of mission format like old IL2. Still some of my greatest gaming memories can be with Online Wars in '46. Hopefully you guys can get close to that and improve upon it.

Both.

Current mission is under "external control" during its playtime on the server. Logs monitoring program work in parallel with server. Server throws next log part every 30 seconds. Program analyze this peace and sends commands back to the server through Rcon if neccessary. Rcon - is a remote console, supported by game server.

When mission ends, the next one is already prepeared by our mission producer and starts immidiately after 60 seconds of mission results screen, without server restart.

Awesome! Is there any chance that you would ever consider moving your servers a bit more West to reduce pings for players in the Western Hemisphere? TAW is hosted in Germany I believe and the extra 50ms makes a HUGE difference. Of course Russia has like 8 time zones so I am kind of curious what sort of pings people get from the Far-East to DED versus TAW. Edited by NO_SQDeriku777

Is there any chance that you would ever consider moving your servers a bit more West

EU Random+ hosted in Germany :) 

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to the JU52. I got a shoulder problem, so this plane will be perfect for me

Edited by Wandalen

No, there would be no MK108 and WGr.21, because of timeline and theater of operations.

Are you saying they had JU 87 G1's at Stalingrad ?

• Upvote 1

While it would add to the development time, maybe they could make a few modifications for the Bf-110 G-2 for the Battle of Kuban, and the 3.7 cm and Mk.108s could be saved for non-historical settings?

Either way, I just want to get my hands on some 30mm autocannons...  

The BF110 G-2 has 4 x MG17s (7.92mm) and 2 x MGFF/Ms (20mm) but they also had the BK3.7 (37mm), MG 151/20 (20mm) and MK 108 (30mm) modifications. (and not to forget the WGr.21 Rockets)

Sounds Fun xD

Edited by Riderocket

The BF110 G-2 has 4 x MG17s (7.92mm) and 2 x MGFF/Ms (20mm) but they also had the BK3.7 (37mm), MG 151/20 (20mm) and MK 108 (30mm) modifications.

Sounds Fun xD

Standard armarment was 4x MG17 + 2x MG151. The later had to be removed for the Bk.3,7 installation (G-2/R3) leaving you with 4x MG17 + Bk.3,7.

This time line issue is getting annoying and will reduce fun for sure. I think they should deliver a complete set of mods and let the online community decide what can be available on servers.

Those "maybe later" answers on devs questions thread are really disturbing, specially because next theatre is pacific. What will turn out maybe later on maybe never.

Anyway, look stuka cannons example on Stalingrad. This mod was really positive to game overall.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow
  • Upvote 1

Gielow, it simply means "maybe in 15 years, after we're done with Pacific, Africa, Italy and Fall Weserübung" (yes, i think it would be cool to fly over Norwegian landscape)

edit: sry, i forgot Battle of Hamburg, i F-ing love the plane line-up. i hope this will happen some day

Edited by 6./ZG26_Asgar
  • Upvote 1

Yeah. No ball turret for 111, no 30mm for 110, 190 a5 will be a big "?"

I think I can keep the BoS/BoM. Because I am only getting so far a 3.7 cannon and extra 10km/h for my US$ 59.

Bigger question to me is what loadout options the Hs-129 is supposed to get. Unlike the Bf-110 or Fw-190 it's a dedicated ground attacker with no other buisness than killing tanks so armarment is going to be important to make this bird worth.

However, most loadout that made the Hs-129 effective like hollow charge bombs and the Bk.7,5 were introduced way later than the cutoff date for BoK...

Yeah. No ball turret for 111, no 30mm for 110, 190 a5 will be a big "?"

I think I can keep the BoS/BoM. Because I am only getting so far a 3.7 cannon and extra 10km/h for my US$ 59.

Thats just not true. You are getting a lot more, but you dont want to use it.

Thats just not true. You are getting a lot more, but you dont want to use it.

One can only assume and hope he was being a bit tongue in cheek (sarcasm/humour/joke) with that comment  :)

Cheers Dakpilot

One can only assume and hope he was being a bit tongue in cheek (sarcasm/humour/joke) with that comment :)

Cheers Dakpilot

Let's hope so.

Ive read enough comments in this forum to know some people genuinely think that.

• Upvote 1