III/JG52_Otto_-I-

nobody likes Lisunov Li-2 transport ?

would you like a flyable Li-2 and C-47?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. would you like a flyable Li-2 and C-47?

• Yes, I would like a flyable Li-2 and C47
    • No, I dont like them

Some people, virtual axis pilots usually was claiming for a flyable Junker Ju-52, but  i found only this about Lisunov Li-2 in this forum, the most used transport by soviet in the WWII. nobody in allied virtual pilots claimed for a flyable Li-2. ..why? 

Lisunov Li-2 was a "metric system" licenced copy of Douglas DC-3/C-47 Dakota. this aircraft was one of the most famous transport aircraft of the history, and i am amazed that anybody claiming for flying this wonderful machine.
Like Ju-52, the Li-2 was used as bomber role too.

li2niivvs.jpg

li2snow.jpg

Li-2 in accion video

post-4230-0-63276400-1409390170.jpg

Li-2 3D cockpit view

Edited by III/JG52_Otto_-I-
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I want it as I think it is a sweet plane + it is a little unfair axis has a dedicated transport but not vvs.

I think the problem at the moment is that the 52 did not as yet sell that well, so the devs are in no rush to make one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If a C-47 variant is available also, I think its a great idea.  Just like the Ju-52, it would fit in any WW2 expansion from the first day to the last. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OF COURSE I LIKE IT!

Come on! seriously??

Patience, I am sure it will come, but fist we have to wait for the success of the ju52.

The good thing is that the LI2 will be a base to develop a C47 and a LI2 for the pacific theater so all sides will have their transport. 

WIll make good sp campaign and fun MP flight on servers...

• Like 1

Personally I would LIKE absolutely everything that flew in WW2 to be available and right now. It's not a question of 'like' or 'dislike', it's about priorities. We can't have everything - the devs can't do it all. You've seen the development plan. They are going to do a lot.

So the question is what do we want most? Ask this another way - which of the currently announced aircraft in Kuban are you willing to give up to get the Li-2?

I would buy it! I think planes like this would fit well in MP servers like TAW where you need to resupply airfields. And if they make so you can drop paratroopers then it opens a whole host of opportunities. Either way it would be a fun plane to fly, though I have concerns that the devs may not make it because of cost-benefit issues, but hopefully I will be proven wrong some day!

Yes, if we get the bomber version of the Li-2. Together with the Il-4 it was the most numerous bomber type of Soviet long-range aviation (ADD).

Without bombs as armament option, no. I am not interest in a transport-only plane.

I too only found out about the Li-2 from this forum. I've learned so much about the Eastern Front that I knew nothing about here. It's funny how it mirrors real life though and everybody wants to be a fighter jock. But when you look at the bombers that took a lot of courage and skill because of the size and slow speed. As much as they were sitting ducks the transports were slower lightly armed but so vital to the whole effort. Then you have the most suicidal the gliders. Can you imagine being in one for those and landing behind enemy lines then fighting your way back and then doing it again?

I think this sim would be different if the fighter fanboys had to fly a couple of missions in bombers and transports to understand why cover is so important. That will never happen if there is always choice like there is now. Guys talk about realism and immersion, in real life you had no choice, you flew what you were told to. Career's, true careers where you were assigned like in real life, not pick and choose. But that would go over like a lead balloon.

Reading between the lines of the last post by Hans I saw something interesting. The mention of observers in Air Marshall mode.....does that mean we could be getting a Po-2 and or Storch? I would love to fly either one of those planes and the kind of missions they were used for.

• Upvote 2

The turret should be one of the options along with bombs ...

Standing by.

If the Li-2 were modeled, it would also be a basis for the Japanese version L2D as well as the US C-47.  I think having transport aircraft in the game has value.  This will become more apparent as dynamic campaigns mature.

• Upvote 1

I like the plane.. but maybe it makes sense to see how tha junkers actually works out, gameplaywise...

Exactly my thoughts.

I woukd live to see this plane in game, even as AI only, but devs should wait and see if the Ju52 was worth it before jumping in and making another flyable transport.

Interesting little article about DC-3 and flight simming

http://www.dc3airways.com/technical/comparison.htm

quite out of date, but worth a read  nonetheless, I do however envy his throttle quadrant!!

obviously I would be more than happy to see a Dc-3/C-47L2D or Li-2 in the game, if there is room in their plans, and it is financially viable

A DC-3 within the BoS world and with the unmatched "feeling of flight" could be very popular just sightseeing over the Kuban peninsular  :)

Cheers Dakpilot

I'm not gonna vote, since I'm impartial at the moment. I bought the Ju-52, but i want to wait and see how well the devs will integrate it into the game. If they manage to create the gameplay basis then I would like to see some more transports

The reason people weren't clamouring for it is because, unlike the Ju-52, it isn't an iconic part of the Battle of Stalingrad.

That said, I still want an Li-2, C-47, and L2D.

There actually was quite a bit of talking when the flyable Ju-52 was first announced. Unfortunately devs said it was not possible atm because it's too time consuming. However, whoknows what might come in future.

As sby who likes the DC-3 I'd definetly be for this although I agree with Asgar. The sucess of the Ju-52 will be the predominant factor in this decision.

Personally I would like to see it in game along with the Ju-52 to give us the option of flying for each side in the transport role, wars are not just won by fighter and bomber pilots alone, we could also do with a trainer for each side. ;)

Downside is that the development team will have to go with what is most popular if they are to keep the money coming in for future add ons, that means that most players will want the offensive aircraft types with all the guns and bombs.

The Ju-52 I think is only to become flyable because they had already put it in the game before because of the iconic status it has and its contribution to the supply and evacuation role at Stalingrad.

Nonetheless we all will live in hope, who knows how things will progress from here.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

It's a cool plane that you will fly a couple of times and then never play with again.  Unfortunately flying transport aircraft in these kinds of games isn't a great sell.  

I'm looking forward to fly the Ju 52 in its primary role as a transport aircraft. The same would be the case with a eventual Li2. Wars are also won by logistics. So those dangerous transport sorties are something I really want to do. :)

I guess it needs balls of steel to fly a slow and vulnerable transport aircraft under such dangerous conditions.;)

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Upvote 1

Like you, Blooddawn, I am looking forward to fly transport missions. I believe that they will be not as dougerous as we might think as long as we do not have to fly in enemy territory

S!

Well, the Li-2 was extensively used by VVS, so why not? If we could have base capture the Li-2 would be the Gooney Bird ;) Those who have played AH or WB know ;)

In fact I was more eager for a LI 2 than a JU 52, because HE 111 had transport versions and is a plausible plane for transport task , when PE 2 is not. But as usual Axis get it all ;)

I did take part in this poll against better judgement , they never serve any purpose. 

Remember that with the ju52 we already had 3d model done, so sure it is easier for dev team

I love both ju52 and Li2. They are all special in my eyes and transport mission would be very fun!

The Lisunov 2 actually makes an excellent combat airplane.

Bombs could be carried on external racks (and at least one prototype had internal bomb-bays). In addition, bomblet crates could be released through the cargo doors.

Many were equipped with a fixed forward firing ShKAS gun for the pilot (good for taking out search lights)! Others carried 8xRS-82 rockets under the wings!

One in 1945 was equipped with 2xNS-45 45mm autocannons and sent to attack trains at night...

• Upvote 1

Yes, this transport is more multi use than the other: he could take at least 1000 bombs , similar to the pe2.

Later on when new theatres are added, it will perhaps be more economical to develop the Li-2, DC-3 and L2D etc at the same time.  For now though, I'm more than happy (and grateful) to have the Ju-52.          

Me too dear Feathered_IV I am so happy and excited about tante Ju!

But, you know, what about players who plays Russians! We have to think of them too!

It would be possible that some (if not all) multiplayer creator missions do not put the Ju52 in service due to the fact that Russian do not have a transport yet, which would be very sad.

I think the best solution before the Dc3 family is to create a Russian skin for Russians .

I am interested in where they stuck the turret.  I am assuming that there must be some sort of structure in there for the gunner and the ammo and feeds at the very least but I am totally guessing: I have never seen a turret like that before.

It is kind of in the "meat" of the planes cargo area, or would be if it was a DC-3 - right between the "B" and "C" "compartments" where loadmasters would want to stick the heaviest pieces of cargo.

To me, it looks like a combat aircraft that can haul some stuff and happens to be based on a cargo plane.

Basically it is a DC3 build under licence with a turret and less powerful engines.

li2-utk1.jpg

ee14432.jpg

You can see the hole for the turret, which is missing.

post-467-0-44773200-1481736211_thumb.jpg

Well with the total absence of a transport on russian side I hope for a couple of russian skins on the JU 52 as a in-between plane. I can make that plausible in my mind, kidding myself I fly a captured JU 52 in Stalins service

You can see the hole for the turret, which is missing.

Thanks - that is useful!  I have been looking for an interior shot with the turret installed, but this is pretty instructive too.

I have to duck a good bit in a DC-3 - I think the cabin height is probably about 5 feet or so, so unless the dimensions are radically different I would think there would need to be some sort of cargo-blocking pedestal for the gunner at least.  I was hoping to see something in this picture with a pedestal collapsed into the floor or stowed in a corner or something.  I wonder if it was just removed completely when it wasn't needed, as in this picture. 

Dakpilot gave a very good suggestion IMHO: to get the C47 which was used bu Russia during WW2

It would make the releasing more easy for dev team as it has not turret and weapons

Moreover it will be used directly in th pacific theater.

Also for player it is good because despite it has no armement, it flies faster than a Li2  and has more payload because it has more powerful engines and no drag from a top turret.

More informations here :

http://ww2incolour.blogspot.fr/2012/07/russian-c-47-dakota-found-in-arctic.html

There were standard DC-3 in use with VVS, if it was a significant number, this model could be used purely for transport, and be useful for other fronts (pacific etc.) without need for different models, just a thought

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Nil
  • Upvote 1

It is hard to find any solid figures of how many Dc-3/lend lease C-47 were used by Russia, that there were some is certain, as shown by Nil in the Arctic article above

There is also mention of LL C-47 here

http://www.dc3history.org/aircraftmilitary/russianpilotsww11.html

Prior to WWII Russia imported 21 DC-3 and Two airframes

Of the approximately 18,000 total lend lease aircraft supplied during the war, 813 (majority 43 onwards) were non combat aircraft but I have not seen a breakdown of types

The amount of LL C-47 and years of delivery are unknown to me

Li-2 was already in production in 1940 but interrupted when factory moved to Tashkent with bulk of production being there from 42 onwards

The amount of Li-2's produced remains contentious as well, factory figures suggest +- 6200, official figures 2000 and some unofficial figures put it at around 20,000 inc post war, the low official figure is said to be to due to the nature of it being a licence built aircraft

Li-2 was quite active at Stalingrad, performing a number of (night) bombing raids and delivering 800 tons of supplies 1500 people and evacuating 5000 wounded, it was also used to supply fuel to the tanks during the counteroffensive advance 

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2018 at 4:01 PM, tomgor said:

I hope it would come with working feathering props, unlike:

http://baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-lisunov-li-2-near-mys-kosistyy-6-killed

Of course it will! 

On 8/3/2018 at 6:25 PM, Bremspropeller said:

While I'd rather have a proper Dakota, a Li-2 would be better than nothing at all.

What is nice with the Li2 is that it will carry 1t bombs, and have a defensive armement.

So I am very happy that it will be released!!

• Like 3