Han

Developer Diary, Part 134 - Discussion

Great news again, but I must be the only person not surprised to hear DX11 is coming this year - there have been clear signals it would be available within a few months (Jason even remarks on this in the Kuban announcement). Have been budgeting for a new video card before Christmas as my decrepit GTX260 can only handle DX10!

Look forward to 2.004.

The pace they go is really astonishing ! After I already feared they wouldn't get the go for the next theatre, this is excellent news again.

Thanks for all good news!

Kuban arena looks great with mountains, a lot of water and no winter season.

Looking forward to DX11 and 2.004...

Every time I come here expecting a good Developer Diary, and every time my expectations are exceeded. Good job guys, the sky is the limit :)

Great news on the DX11 progress and performance increase you are seeing, this will be very nice for the sim.

And really looking foward to the new Career.

Looking forward to test DX11 improvements

Thank you Dev's! you will (maybe) have saved me a fortune in graphic card/CPU upgrades

How much would I have had to spend in upgrades to double Frame rates in many instances??    :)

Cheers Dakpilot

I'm also eager to test my rather old rig with DX11. Otherwise it will be no less than 600 euros for HW upgrade (CPU,MoBo,RAM...) which I need to spend elsewhere.

Really looking forward to DX11 performance improvements! I love everything about the sim right now except getting 20FPS on a GTX980 haha.

DX11 isnt magical either. If you have a really old pc dont expect miracles. It can unblock some bottlenecks in modern systems but it probably wont do much in an old rig.

DX11 isnt magical either. If you have a really old pc dont expect miracles. It can unblock some bottlenecks in modern systems but it probably wont do much in an old rig.

This is an important point. I'm not expecting too much with my 5 year old system (though the graphics vard is brand new)

No that means changes to mission code and how they work.

What exactly will change? Does it mean old missions will no longer work?

Don't know. I doubt that will be the case, perhaps tracks. Han can answer better on such details. I'm focused on some of the bigger items.

Jason

No, it's the binary format which change. You'll have to delete the msnbin, and recreate it, like we already had in Bos and RoF. But you don't loose your mission, if you have the mission file.

If you have several mission in an folder, you can use the feature in the editor :

Editor : Go to tool => Covert mission to binary in folder.

Keep in mind that it could take some time.

You can also open your mission in the éditor and save it. The first opening will take more time than usual because the msnbin is re created.

Edited by Habu

Looking forward to test DX11 improvements

Thank you Dev's! you will (maybe) have saved me a fortune in graphic card/CPU upgrades

How much would I have had to spend in upgrades to double Frame rates in many instances??    :)

Cheers Dakpilot

I only gained stability in frames between the 770 and 980Ti.

I gained another 20 frames and never go below the 80s between the 980Ti and 1080.

Edited by Space_Ghost

I played with a 770 and now with a 1070. frames did not really rise for me as my CPU is the bottleneck. We'll see what it brings us, I feel confident :)

I played with a 770 and now with a 1070. frames did not really rise for me as my CPU is the bottleneck. We'll see what it brings us, I feel confident :)

Yeah, this is with an i7 6700K at 4.7GHz.

The folks with a new to a couple of years old CPU/GPU will very likely see the biggest benefits and the folks with older systems won't see much of a difference. When I was forced to build a new system (I usually hang onto them until they die) my new system was so much faster on nearly everything except IL-2.... which gained more stability in the frame rate but overall it was fairly similar. Smoother... but not that much smoother. I'm guessing this will be an interesting experience.

All I can say is that you are an example of Dedication and Professionalism!

All I can think is that I wish we had similar developers on the Civil Flightsims side...

Well; with the junkers 52, we are not far from a civil flightsim ! ;)

almost a 2x increase or more in FPS depending on the scene.

A benchmark, please? Depending on the scene sounds not good to me!

Hard to believe that my current FPS stable 60 FPS with DX9 will go up to a stable 120 FPS with DX11 or even more?

resulting in double the number of AI aircraft on the ground at the same level of performance and 20% physics performance increase of AI aircraft in the air.

How about double the number of AI aircraft in the air at the same level of performance? And this please without thinking to simple the AI physics and logic! 20% physics performance increase of AI aircraft in the air comes from what? Sounds not to come from 64-bit or DX11. Was there something sacrificed to get this 20% gain?

I hope this will not increase my problem with the AI to a new level? 

Hard to believe that my current FPS stable 60 FPS with DX9 will go up to a stable 120 FPS with DX11 or even more?

why is that hard to believe? it's actually plausible. for most people the CPU is the bottleneck and dx11 allows for much better multicore utilization Edited by 6./ZG26_Asgar

why is that hard to believe? it's actually plausible. for most people the CPU is the bottleneck and dx11 allows for much better multicore utilization

From a stable 60 FPS to a stable 120 FPS just from a DX9 to DX11 change? Impossible! Never ever 2x FPS increase just from a simple DX change! I know this from other games, that's the reason why this is hard to believe!

Not sure if the Game engine has Multithreaded Shader Compilation and Async Shader Compilation

How about double the number of AI aircraft in the air at the same level of performance? And this please without thinking to simple the AI physics and logic! 20% physics performance increase of AI aircraft in the air comes from what? Sounds not to come from 64-bit or DX11. Was there something sacrificed to get this 20% gain?

I hope this will not increase my problem with the AI to a new level?

You can always have seme end results doing (coding) something diffrent - the diffrence could be more efficient, clever etc.

From a stable 60 FPS to a stable 120 FPS just from a DX9 to DX11 change? Impossible! Never ever 2x FPS increase just from a simple DX change! I know this from other games, that's the reason why this is hard to believe!

Not sure if the Game engine has Multithreaded Shader Compilation and Async Shader Compilation

While working with DX11 they probably also optimised some of the existing code (see FM and ai changes) to further improve performence. Looking over at DCS their DX11 upgrade combined with EDGE boosted my FPS from 40-35 to an average 120 FPS (max 180) on the Caucasus map (one can argue this was more a result of their engine optimisation rather than Dx11 which I can't comment on since I'm not familiar with the technical aspects of Dx11).

At the very least Dx11 will provide us with much better graphics at acceptable FPS.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

I understood DCS got some remarkable FPS/performance improvements when moving to DX11 for some users

obviously these improvements will be very varied depending on hardware, but demanding a benchmark now is not needed, it will be released to us all when it's ready, the proof will be in the pudding

So far most things/improvements hinted at have performed to or above expectations, now is not the time for negative accusations to Dev's, positive encouragement and patience seem a happier approach, then look at what is actually delivered before shooting it down as impossible  :)

stop them negative waves man

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 3

This looks better n better with each update, always something great to look forward to each week. You guys are the kiddies.

Chhers

Take it with a grain of salt. It will depend a lot on yor setup and the % of resources left to be utilized of your PC. Some people will see 10% improvement, some will see 100%.

Edit:  most likely the biggest improvement will be in the minimum fps, which cause the choppiness.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

lol I just read a post complaining about the boring theatre of water regarding Battle of Kuban and now we

are gonna get mountains. Nuff said, Im getting back to flying and just pre-ordered this. :)

This is great news... Cant wait for the release.  Thanks for the continued hard work you all are doing, means allot to us!!

Not sure why its not showing that I have bought the pre-sale of BOK badge under my name, but O' well I have.

Ok, now it's showing the BOK, but not the BOS.... ?????  LOL

Edited by FA_Pappy

Badges are only for preorders :)

That's true, but as someone mentioned, it would be nice if devs give the people who joined later some kind of badges - say bronze or green...

That's true, but as someone mentioned, it would be nice if devs give the people who joined later some kind of badges - say bronze or green...

pink, to shame those who didnt pre-order  :lol:

just kidding of course

Edited by Jade_Monkey