LuseKofte

DCS news

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Certainly looks great, but I'll never buy the thing...

Same. Looks great but just cannot get me excited. I have spent too much money on DCS to know I just won't touch it.

I think they did a great job, especially with the textures both inside and outside the plane.

I really wish IL2 would increase the resolution of the cockpit textures. Just because low end systems cannot handle it, it doesnt meant they should not push the limits on the high end :(

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Upvote 4

With F-14 trick is not about textures (which are great) but amount of triangles in the pit. Cockpit model is extremely detailed.

As for the Il-2, its both models and textures that would need improvement. Plus, DCS adopted PBR textures, so I guess Il-2 would have to as well.

9 minutes ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

As for the Il-2, its both models and textures that would need improvement.

I don‘t think that would really be desirable. VR play would be affected. You can see in P3D how much of a hit cockpit details can have on FPS.

I think there would have to be modifications in how the game is handling multithreading to makesome headroom for that. In DCS I see loads distributed differently over the cores.

Because.....we were inverted😅

JszVB8Q.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Really? I thought the music in this trailer sucked but thats just me. The other song was much better imo and is the reason I liked the launch trailer.

I have a feeling that this is mainly a gap between generations. 😁

I was about ~15 old when seeing the Top Gun first time. And things you love at that age, you usually love it 'till the grave. That goes especially with music.

Also Hollywood is working on an extension to Vaicom Pro with Voice Attack to communicate with the Jester AI.

Says he is about a week or two away.

Should be pretty cool.

7 minutes ago, dburne said:

Also Hollywood is working on an extension to Vaicom Pro with Voice Attack to communicate with the Jester AI.

Says he is about a week or two away.

Should be pretty cool.

Excellent. I've never used VA but am loving the F-14, and can certainly see the advantage of using voice control for Jester. I'm not a fan of the Jester 'wheel'

Content will make or break the F-14.

I get the “oohhhh aaahhhh neato!” factor completely. However after that wears off there needs to be something to do with it.

I’d like to hear how complex it is to learn/fly. The reason why I would in theory (if there was content) gravitate toward the MiG/Saber is because I don’t have to put in the same kind of time (as A-10 etc) to learn them. If I did learn - I’d then forget anyway. However as discussed content for those two is a problem.

The F-14 as mentioned, is the F-14...hard to ignore for a kid growing up while it served and seeing Top Gun when 15 just like someone else mentioned.

Still - to futz with installing DCS, separate drive, huge/slow download, setup etc I need a reasonable learning curve, (simple enough where I’m not forgetting things) and campaigns.

That first trailer made it look like Independence Day...a bit overdone.

A nice Top Gun style campaign on the Nevada map would be nice for starters.

Then something with carrier ops.

I see a lot of 

The Tomcat is out and it's glorious.

Simply beautiful.

This one is really sexy.

the best thing I have ever seen in a flight simulator ever.

A few pretty screenshots.

All in all folk aren't really saying much apart from it looks good. 

I'll echo Gambit 

11 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I’d like to hear how complex it is to learn/fly.

I'd like some substance. DCS is pretty to look at. No denying that.

"The F-14 simply takes DCS to a new level." Why is that please? because it's an F-14 and it looks good? or something else. Please explain. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

The F-14 simply takes DCS to a new level."

Jester really works and does complicated stuff for you. I always fancied the old metal, up to the Mig-19 and the F-5. Once you get theidea behind how it was intended to use those rides, it takes little time to learn it enough to have fun with it and shoot & bomb stuff. The F-18... well.. it‘s grand.. but I smply didn‘t have time to make much use of it. It is really a fulltime job.

What sets the F-14 apart from everything so far is that it provides true multicrew functionality. To me it is like when A2A Simulations came out with the B377 Stratocruiser. You basically need several people to fly the aircraft as it is intended. While possible, it is not efficient (and IRL not legal) to fly it solo. Jester gives you a copilot that does what he should at the time he should do so. And he heven tells you so. Same as the B377 had this multi crew feature that is acting in a clear and logic manner.

Imagine you had two helpers to fly the Mi-8. It would be a drastically different experience instead of being tortured across three stations flicking knobs.

I was surprised how little time it took me to take her in the air anddo something with her.

Having someone along with you that knows what he is doing really creates a different experience, especially in a sim with an astonishingly steep learning curve.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Jester really works and does complicated stuff for you. I always fancied the old metal, up to the Mig-19 and the F-5. Once you get theidea behind how it was intended to use those rides, it takes little time to learn it enough to have fun with it and shoot & bomb stuff. The F-18... well.. it‘s grand.. but I smply didn‘t have time to make much use of it. It is really a fulltime job.

What sets the F-14 apart from everything so far is that it provides true multicrew functionality. To me it is like when A2A Simulations came out with the B377 Stratocruiser. You basically need several people to fly the aircraft as it is intended. While possible, it is not efficient (and IRL not legal) to fly it solo. Jester gives you a copilot that does what he should at the time he should do so. And he heven tells you so. Same as the B377 had this multi crew feature that is acting in a clear and logic manner.

Imagine you had two helpers to fly the Mi-8. It would be a drastically different experience instead of being tortured across three stations flicking knobs.

I was surprised how little time it took me to take her in the air anddo something with her.

Having someone along with you that knows what he is doing really creates a different experience, especially in a sim with an astonishingly steep learning curve.

Thanks. Do you think, now that Heatblur have introduced "multi crew", that it would be easier for the likes of BST to introduce the long ago advertised multi crew for the huey? And now they, BST, can finish that one off? It's been a loooong time coming. One of the selling points of the huey for me. Do you think heatblur will share their expertise to the less skillfull 3rd parties and we all finally get what we paid for?

1 minute ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

@Gambit21 @Rolling_Thunder These videos give a good insight on what the module brings in regards to how it's made:

Hide contents

Early impressions / flight characteristics / some Jester AI functionality

Radar system:

Target pod system:

Thanks. I doubt i'll buy it until it's on sale though.

3 minutes ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

Thanks. Do you think, now that Heatblur have introduced "multi crew", that it would be easier for the likes of BST to introduce the long ago advertised multi crew for the huey? And now they, BST, can finish that one off? It's been a loooong time coming. One of the selling points of the huey for me. Do you think heatblur will share their expertise to the less skillfull 3rd parties and we all finally get what we paid for?

i'd hazard a guess Zach is talking about "multicrew" in a context of the first ever DCS implementation of an AI crew member capable of doing more things than only shooting door guns / adjusting autopilot (UH-1 / Mi-8) and doing them quite well it seems, judging from reviews. Not in the context of actual multiplayer functionality you're asking about (though I do not know if that one has been implemented in HB's F-14 or not).

36 minutes ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

Do you think, now that Heatblur have introduced "multi crew", that it would be easier for the likes of BST to introduce the long ago advertised multi crew for the huey? And now they, BST, can finish that one off?

It is my hope. Multicrew to me is a step is like having other (credible) AI aircraft, it really is a gamechanger. From what I hear it will work especially well with the Mi-8. Or any two seat combat helo. You cannot fly AND be weapons officer. There's areason they have two guys in there. That cost a lot of money, so there is purpose.

What I especially like about it is that it (same as in the "Captain of the Ship" Series from A2A Simulations) it actually doesn't take anything away from you, but it gives you the option to fly the aircraft as the pilot should with the assistance of the crew. In case for instance in the A2A B-17 (also wonderfully acussimmed with multicrew), as soon as there is less going on, you "turn off" your co-pilot or reduce his tasks and you can take over his functions. The B-17 is simple enough that you can take over three stations as long as there is not, you know, bad or surprising things happening. Like that you can really try to milk the best milage from your aircraft. And as soon as you really need to be flying again, your crew is there for you.

Many of the steam gauge aircraft actually require other crew members to operate your systems, as there would hardly be enough space on your dash to put all the levers.

Spoiler

18u9d2gjwivf7jpg.jpg

B-36. Cool, huh? Try to fly that alone when this board is just behind you. Imagine you are starting your bomb run and the turbo bearings on engine #4 are running really hot. That's funny when alone. And makes you wonder why you vertured in dangerous airspace in the first place.

It makes the F-14 simple, even though I hardly understand anything of it (yet) in detail. But, it works. The front seat in this aircraft is really just for flying. Once your RIO operated the systems it's almost trigger ready for you. Well, in contrast to the F-18 it is.

For me, multicrew and persistent system states completely changed FSX (and P3D) in terms of what you really can do. It gave purpose to what in hindsight felt like an empty shell. "It put the game in it." This is how I feel about the F-14. I got the F-18 which is also bloody nice. But then I try to do something with it.. ugh...

Posted (edited)

Screen-190313-201135.png

[edited]

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Spam

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I get the “oohhhh aaahhhh neato!” factor completely. However after that wears off there needs to be something to do with it.

I’d like to hear how complex it is to learn/fly. The reason why I would in theory (if there was content) gravitate toward the MiG/Saber is because I don’t have to put in the same kind of time (as A-10 etc) to learn them. If I did learn - I’d then forget anyway. However as discussed content for those two is a problem.

The F-14 as mentioned, is the F-14...hard to ignore for a kid growing up while it served and seeing Top Gun when 15 just like someone else mentioned.

Still - to futz with installing DCS, separate drive, huge/slow download, setup etc I need a reasonable learning curve, (simple enough where I’m not forgetting things) and campaigns.

The complexity depends on what you want to do with the F-14. 

If you want to pilot then the avionics that you learn are very simple and don’t take much time to learn or remember.

The hard part about piloting is actually flying the aircraft, it’s very powerful and quite difficult to handle sometimes. There’s no help from a computer so it’s a good mix between modern and old school flying. It’s quite a unique feeling and is something I haven’t really experienced before in any flight sim.

The RIO pit is a whole different ball game and is quite complex to learn and remember. The RIO has the most demanding job when it comes to systems and workload. He has to learn how to operate the radar with its multiple systems, learn how to set up and manage the weapons, navigate, etc. 

He has a much higher workload than the pilot which makes it interesting to learn and do.

The F-14 is much more than just a pretty plane and has a lot to offer imo. Each job (pilot,rio) has enough complexity/challenge to keep you interested but isn’t too time consuming to learn like the A-10.

4 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

The complexity depends on what you want to do with the F-14. 

If you want to pilot then the avionics that you learn are very simple and don’t take much time to learn or remember.

The hard part about piloting is actually flying the aircraft, it’s very powerful and quite difficult to handle sometimes. There’s no help from a computer so it’s a good mix between modern and old school flying. It’s quite a unique feeling and is something I haven’t really experienced before in any flight sim.

I like that sound of  that.

My life doesn't allow for time to basically take a self-imposed class to learn a sim like it did in the old says.

I'd leave the  RIO stuff to Jester.

I'll sit back and watch what content arrives.

Thank you!

In reality I'm too busy building campaigns to even fly BoX much which would be first priority should I get stick time...but still keeping an eye on this.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:
Spoiler

3 hours ago, Rolling_Thunder said:
Spoiler

I see a lot of 

The Tomcat is out and it's glorious.

Simply beautiful.

This one is really sexy.

the best thing I have ever seen in a flight simulator ever.

A few pretty screenshots.

All in all folk aren't really saying much apart from it looks good. 

I'll echo Gambit 

I'd like some substance. DCS is pretty to look at. No denying that.

"The F-14 simply takes DCS to a new level." Why is that please? because it's an F-14 and it looks good? or something else. Please explain. 

Here are missions currently available on launch:

https://imgur.com/LO9LO1p

https://imgur.com/S26U4xK

https://imgur.com/rqyWCmL

https://imgur.com/B36tCbt

Here is what Cobra wrote regarding content to come on the early-access release post:

Content

• Campaigns: As noted in our purchase pages, the two free campaigns will be available post launch.
  • Training Missions: We will expand the amount of training missions during the course of EA.
  • A-6, Forrestal, F-14A: We will detail our plans regarding these ASAP. The Forrestal will be priority #1.

And from the purchase page referenced in the previous quote:

Comprehensive digital manual, both as a PDF and as a continually updated online manual.

A complete set of interactive and voiced tutorials.

Comprehensive campaigns for both the F-14A and F-14B Tomcat, one set in the Caucasus theatre and the other for the Persian Gulf theatre.

As far as flying, like previously mentioned it is really enjoyable if you're a fan of warbirds, as it is stick'n'rudder - no the fly-by-wire stuff.

RIO handles the "hard" stuff, and you are able to interact with him and he interacts with you.  It makes call outs, actually looks around (you can see him moving and where he is looking), etc. 

I got home late yesterday and was able to start it up and start flying right away without having to read a huge manual (just looking at the checklist for start up).  Landed a 4-wire on my first carrier attempt.

Really enjoyable as a module and we don't even have single player campaigns for it yet.  Multiplayer will be a whole other beautiful ball game for it.

Edited by Tuesday
Apologies for the edits!
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

In reality I'm too busy building campaigns to even fly BoX much which would be first priority should I get stick time...but still keeping an eye on this.

I have told you before about my gratitude for your work in GB, DCS is and has been for a couple of years my lifeline to this hobby, what have kept my floating.

But if you do not have time to enjoy your hobby, please restrain from entering DCS. Because your heading to the pile of frustration of not having time to be as good as you feel you should.

I have wasted tonns of hours learning modules I never fly, and I have to do it again if I at one point want to fly them.

You are heading towards a hobby suicide. Only go in if you devote yourself, you are in danger of getting hooked once you do.

If you are a little bit like me, learning a little bit (or just enough) just won't do. What make this machine tic, I want to do what the pilots did. Then you are screwed.

After all you have fought a ME under development, I simply do not believe there is not a flying nerd inside you :)

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

I have told you before about my gratitude for your work in GB, DCS is and has been for a couple of years my lifeline to this hobby, what have kept my floating.

But if you do not have time to enjoy your hobby, please restrain from entering DCS. Because your heading to the pile of frustration of not having time to be as good as you feel you should.

I have wasted tonns of hours learning modules I never fly, and I have to do it again if I at one point want to fly them.

You are heading towards a hobby suicide. Only go in if you devote yourself, you are in danger of getting hooked once you do

I appreciate this...thank you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I appreciate this...thank you.

Just as you know, GB is a life line too, your A 20 campaign hold my interest when DCS just piss me off

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hanu said:

I have a feeling that this is mainly a gap between generations. 😁

I was about ~15 old when seeing the Top Gun first time. And things you love at that age, you usually love it 'till the grave. That goes especially with music.

I saw it when it came out. Wasn't there a line about "the Mig 28 firing the Exocet missile"? That made me laugh even back then.

21 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

That made me laugh even back then.

More than a civilian female non-pilot teaching an ACM class?

59 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

More than a civilian female non-pilot teaching an ACM class?

Now, now. Don't assume her gender. She self-identifies as a combat instructor.

Just now, CanadaOne said:

Now, now. Don't assume her gender. She self-identifies as a combat instructor.

Oh yeah...forgot about that.

I identify as a T-rex.

This means my arms are too short to work, therefore I want disability!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Oh yeah...forgot about that.

I identify as a T-rex.

This means my arms are too short to work, therefore I want disability!

Denied. 

You can work from home instead.  The T-Rex is perfectly evolved to use a keyboard.  

Posted (edited)

Played with the Direct Lift Control thing.  I'd read about something like that on an L-1011 airliner, but I really didn't understand how that works, until now, that I see it in a sim.  My first time F-14 approach on a carrier was looking pretty ugly, but then I used the DLC thing to essentially move the vector on, and viola.   Last time I flew an F-14 sim was sometime in the early 90's with something I believe was called "Fleet Defender" or something.  If I had had stuff like this back then, I probably would have flunked out of school.  I've never had a multi-crew addon for DCS until this one, so I'll be interested to see how this works, if I ever find a human WSO.  Right now, the back seat might as well be that B-36 engineer station photo someone showed above.  I guess I ought to learn it, but as others have noted, geez, probably no small commitment of time involved.  Maybe Top Gun should have been about Goose instead of Maverick.

Edited by SeaSerpent

On 3/14/2019 at 1:37 PM, nirvi said:

Because.....we were inverted😅

JszVB8Q.png

Nice MiG interception! 😄

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

Played with the Direct Lift Control thing.  I'd read about something like that on an L-1011 airliner, but I really didn't understand how that works, until now, that I see it in a sim.  My first time F-14 approach on a carrier was looking pretty ugly, but then I used the DLC thing to essentially move the vector on, and viola.   Last time I flew an F-14 sim was sometime in the early 90's with something I believe was called "Fleet Defender" or something.  If I had had stuff like this back then, I probably would have flunked out of school.  I've never had a multi-crew addon for DCS until this one, so I'll be interested to see how this works, if I ever find a human WSO.  Right now, the back seat might as well be that B-36 engineer station photo someone showed above.  I guess I ought to learn it, but as others have noted, geez, probably no small commitment of time involved.  Maybe Top Gun should have been about Goose instead of Maverick.

I'm finding it quite easy to fly, I think it's all the years sim flying props. I think some people used to the more modern fly by wire stuff are struggling a bit! Just the right level of complication for me, as long as I keep out of the back seat, which is where most of the work happens!
For me, this is the best module in DCS to date.

Edited by Archie

40 minutes ago, Archie said:

I'm finding it quite easy to fly, I think it's all the years sim flying props. I think some people used to the more modern fly by wire stuff are struggling a bit! Just the right level of complication for me, as long as I keep out of the back seat, which is where most of the work happens!
For me, this is the best module in DCS to date.

Sounds like it may be best for me , looking forward to checking it out hopefully tomorrow. I am getting too old to learn all the ins and outs of some of these complex systems.

If it fly as a prop , I wonder how those in DCS environment will welcome it. Many of those have cheap hardware. Jet could in reality fly without rudders and stick. A great deal fly it with keyboard

She's a saucey wench! In a cold war plane set, I get all bubbly when I see them load up and go vertical, the kitty likes it in the vertical! Lead turn em down the back side. Manual wing sweep for some knife fighting goodness filled with surprises. 

But get rough with her on the first date and she'll pimp slap you into some proverse yaw and cherry it with a flat spin. 

Just the right amount of switchology,  but none of it is a crutch.  You have to fly this tart through all regimes. Rudders left the port of optional and sailed into mandatory. 

But she's a proper girl, turn on her ACLS and she'll handle it all with ease right down to a 3 wire. 

Worth 70 doubloons! 

35 minutes ago, dburne said:

I am getting too old to learn all the ins and outs of some of these complex systems.

Same here. I've bought all the modern stuff, but I don't have the time or the energy any more to learn complicated systems so I just don't enjoy them so much. 

Watching a startup video - having Jester walk you through it all is super slick.

34 minutes ago, Cpt_Cool said:

Watching a startup video - having Jester walk you through it all is super slick.

:good:

Oowee, that sounds even better! 

Hope to have time to check it out tomorrow.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

If it fly as a prop , I wonder how those in DCS environment will welcome it. Many of those have cheap hardware. Jet could in reality fly without rudders and stick. A great deal fly it with keyboard

I don't think I'd say "flies like a prop", since there is no prop.  It's just an airplane and, early though it may be in my learning, I don't see anything that requires any fancy motor skills compared to other jets in DCS, or honestly any prop planes in Il-2.  The only thing that took some getting used to, and it was with the F/A-18, not the F-14, was getting into the mindset of doing landing approaches with emphasis on Angle of Attack, instead of flying a speed and rate of descent and letting the AoA take care of itself, even though they are essentially the same thing.   I've only done exactly one carrier landing in this new plane so far, and it wasn't so pretty, but I trapped, and my first impression is that if you can do it in other DCS carrier planes, you can do it in this one without much adaptation.  As I mentioned earlier, this has a direct lift control system, which allows you to dump or gain lift to change your rate of climb, without having to change the pitch or power (DLC works with your thumb), and that seems to make it a little easier to hit the sweet spot on a carrier....And like other jets, and carrier jets in particular, you fly it right to the ground; no letting it settle to the ground in the flare.  Other than that, a plane is a plane, right?

As far as people flying with a keyboard, no sympathy whatsoever!!!!😀...maybe they should be spending 70 bucks on a joystick, instead of 70 bucks on an airplane. I doubt it is very common.

Edited by SeaSerpent
clarified dlc usage
  • Upvote 2

I would like to upgrade from my Logitech extreme 3d pro. Unfortunately, neither VKB or Virpil ever have any sticks for sale...

The F-14 is pretty sweet, and gorgeous in VR.

Flew it for about an hour this morning, mainly take offs and landings.

First landing took me about 4 attempts, had to go around the first 3 as I just kept floating and floating lol.

Even with Jester appears still going to be a fair amount for me to learn, will see.

10 hours ago, dburne said:

The F-14 is pretty sweet, and gorgeous in VR.

Flew it for about an hour this morning, mainly take offs and landings.

First landing took me about 4 attempts, had to go around the first 3 as I just kept floating and floating lol.

Even with Jester appears still going to be a fair amount for me to learn, will see.

Are you using DLC for landing? it helps reduce the lift and stops it from floating