LuseKofte

DCS news

Correct on all counts golani.  LockOn was fifteen years old last month.:salute:

2 hours ago, 9./JG27golani79 said:

I'm only around DCS since ~4 years but if I am not mistaken, it evolved out of LockOn Flaming Cliffs with the Blackshark and A-10c as later additions.

Why throw away Flaming Cliffs? 

They've updated the modules in regards of flight models and visuals and I think it is an appealing bundle for people who wanna get their feet wet with Jets but think they would be overwhelmed with full fidelity modules.

All the other modules were added  at a later point were'nt they?

MAC is just another upgrade in regards of the flaming cliffs part with additional aircraft from 3rd party and devs. I don't think that existing customers are the target audience - so where is the problem offering another bundle for people new to the genre who might be put off otherwise.

Theres no problem. But the rule is for every five positive posts about DCS there must be at least one negative!

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:24 AM, SeaSerpent said:

I don't like that Flaming Cliffs exists in the same universe as the StudySim planes.   I guess it is the fault of the multiplayer server operators as much as anybody's but it doesn't seem quite fair that some people are flying vastly simplified planes, while the flight sim wonks are flying fully complex planes.

Not fair for whom? 

Meh, I dont care if FC aircraft or not. Bigger problem for me is bandwagon taking 10 SPAMRAAM missiles and 2 AIM-9X, when all I can take is 2 Magic's and 2 Super 530s. But once Viper rolls out, it will be a payback time.

3 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Still no news of an F-104.  :cray:

I would prefer an F-100 or F-105 myself but I don't comment on other's suicide methods 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Alexmarine28 said:

I would prefer an F-100 or F-105 myself but I don't comment on other's suicide methods 😆

I wouldn't turn my nose up at an F-105.

But the F-104. It's just too cool.  :cool:

f-104-00000013.jpg

23 minutes ago, catchthefoxes said:

So will the thunderbolt be released this year or in the next 4 years?

No one knows yet - but my bet on the next WWII bird would be on the FW 190 A8 followed by the P-47

2019? Not sure .. maybe .. 

2 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

But the F-104. It's just too cool.  :cool:

You just wouldn't believe how many times I've seen Hawkwind over the years:cool:

• Upvote 1

A magnificent aircraft with a loss through accident rate almost equal to the Gloster Meteor:unsure:

Posted (edited)

Netherland's air force per 100,000 hrs

Gloster Meteor: 35,9
F-84E/G Thunderjet: 55,8
F-84F Thunderstreak: 23,0
F-86K Sabredog: 19,2
Hawker Hunter: 15,0
T-33: 9,40
F-104G Starfighter: 12,5
NF-5: 5,9
F-16: 20,2

Soviet airplanes weren't that great either.

According to the "50 years of Luftwaffe" extra included with the newest issue of the Flug Revue the German Air Force lost 162 of their 450 F-84s/RF 84s which is statisticly a higher loss than the loss of all the Starfighters.

Edited by MiloMorai

I just made my first bomber attack mission in DCS. I gotta say if you have the time to  put into it you can make some fantastic WW2 missions. One thing I didn't realize until recently with DCS is that you can use dynamic weather/clouds without it tanking VR performance as with the cloud density setting (never use that one).

With the weather effects, and the rain combined with DCS' jaw dropping and highly realistic terrain/scale it makes for a very immesive experience in VR. Thanks to learning how to randomize my missions it also keeps things more interesting than they used to be too, as you don't know where the enemy will come from, or even if he will be there at all.

Although I love the creativity, making half way decent missions is very time consuming, but I highly recommend DCS players learn the ME, because it is such a powerful but also simple to use tool. Basically if you want to enjoy WW2 you have no other alternative really.  

This can help you with creating bomber formations-

The box formation and bomb release looked pretty impressive  :o:

Pity though that no crew members can be seen in the bombers... it just spoils the whole realism effect if you are doing closer shots whilst making a video  :(

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

The box formation and bomb release looked pretty impressive  :o:

Pity though that no crew members can be seen in the bombers... it just spoils the whole realism effect if you are doing closer shots whilst making a video  :(

Hum haven't noticed that. Will probably be something that annoys me too now you were kind enough to point it out hehe! At the moment theres alot of fiddling around getting the fighters to fly in sync with the bombers.

I'm starting to feel the "need".....the need-for-speed, LOL. The F-14 shall be mine soon!

I think the F14 is coming with missions. Shouldn't be long now hopefully. Also really looking forward to the MiG19, I'm a big fan of the early Russian jets (and early jets in general, would love Korea or Vietnam)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I feel the need, the need for content. 

If you can make proffesional missions with BOX, and have them published, you should have no problem with the DCS mission editor, and make all the content you like! Besides outside of WW2 with helicopters and Jets DCS already has plenty of content. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even finished 5 percent of it!

17 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

If you can make proffesional missions with BOX, and have them published, you should have no problem with the DCS mission editor, and make all the content you like! Besides outside of WW2 with helicopters and Jets DCS already has plenty of content. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even finished 5 percent of it!

Yep, plenty of excellent campaigns already available through DCS for the single player.  Also several multiplayer missions, which allow you to generate - on-the-fly - whatever sort of threat you want to engage, are available for single-player use or even small coop with friends. 

Not to mention the plethora of PvE and PvP multiplayer servers and scenarios out there.  All easily ignored if you don't look/care to begin with.

A dynamic campaign akin to BMS is, of course, the one thing I really wish it had.

• Upvote 1

Its annoying to have to make own missions with little in the Module itself to play.

BTW I am making currently the only campaign on the caucasus map for the F5, I´ll let you know when its finished.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Must be satisfying to tell us with every single post ... zZz ...

Maybe we should open a DCS Nag topic ... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 9./JG27golani79 said:

Must be satisfying to tell us with every single post ... zZz ...

Maybe we should open a DCS Nag topic ... 

Server storage would be a problem. There's soooooo much to complain about.

Edited by Rolling_Thunder
  • Haha 1

I think the 14B will come with a Georgian campaign at launch, with the 14A plus a Gulf campaign to follow later on.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the Viggen main campaign details soon too.

1 hour ago, Leon_Portier said:

Its annoying to have to make own missions with little in the Module itself to play.

BTW I am making currently the only campaign on the caucasus map for the F5, I´ll let you know when its finished.

I actually love making my own missions, I love the creative side of things, making templates and road blocks, and convoys and things. Kinda like lego as a child! There's alot of things I didn't realize the ME could do until watching tutorials. 

It's actually something I enjoy doing in and of itself. But it is time consuming and frustrating at times. It's the little idiot mistakes one makes that end up taking up the most time!

Please do share your campaign I also have the F5 but it was something I bought on sale and then proceeded to utterly ignore. Any other little missions you can share I would be very grateful.

You dont happen to know the answer to this question do you? https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229221

Weren't the Viggen and F-14 supposed to have their own maps as well? I remember a ton of modules being announced as coming with their own maps but so far the only 3rd party map I have seen any evidence of being developed is a Falklands map.

Yes, I've read talk about it, but haven't found any details on an actual commitment of this for the Viggen. Would be brilliant if it happens.

4 hours ago, Leon_Portier said:

Way to take the initiative.

13 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

There's 28 paid campaigns available. There's lots of free user made campaigns & missions for various modules. There's also a dynamic campaign engine with lots of campaigns built for a number of modules. I'd agree that DCS is a bit scattershot with the stuff that's released and I think they recognise that now. But for most modules there's plenty of stuff to do to keep you entertained for a good while. 

21 minutes ago, Tektolnes said:

There's 28 paid campaigns available. There's lots of free user made campaigns & missions for various modules. There's also a dynamic campaign engine with lots of campaigns built for a number of modules. I'd agree that DCS is a bit scattershot with the stuff that's released and I think they recognise that now. But for most modules there's plenty of stuff to do to keep you entertained for a good while. 

If every aircraft in the sim is considered and you have the time/desire to learn them all, or at least every aircraft featured in a campaign.

My concern is the content available to justify the purchase of any given module.

WWII is a good example, as is the MiG 15.

F14 will likely be another. A smart developer would have several campaigns in the works for that aircraft. Release a new Top Gun campaign yearly, etc.

That said 3 short pages/28 campaigns is not impressive considering the number of aircraft they’re divided between, how easy the editor is - not to mention the time span we’re talking about at this juncture.

Hopefully more people will step up to fill in the gaps like Leon is doing sine apparently  ED isn’t that concerned. 

Others who are learning the editor like Wolf - good job. Maybe you’ll end up creating a campaign as well. I encourage you to give it a go.

Now as someone already indicated I’m repeating myself so I’ll give it a rest.

Edited by Gambit21

5 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Now as someone already indicated I’m repeating myself so I’ll give it a rest.

But make sure after you have rested that you'll come back with another one liner how DCS is bad.

12 minutes ago, LLv24_T_Sukkaa said:

But make sure after you have rested that you'll come back with another one liner how DCS is bad.

How bad is it?

I'm enjoying a couple hours a day of multiplayer Il-2, but also violated my principle of not getting any more DCS planes until I mastered all the ones I already had.  I've got a Hornet now.  What a cool plane.  And with that velocity vector thingy, pretty easy to fly.  I'm a pretty mediocre flight sim airman, so normally, when I get a new Flight Sim airplane, in any simulation, I crash it several times just screwing around, but this one I haven't crashed it yet after a dozen hours just learning the basics, including carrier landings.  Almost fools me think into thinking that I missed my calling🤣

Edited by SeaSerpent

11 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

That said 3 short pages/28 campaigns is not impressive considering the number of aircraft they’re divided between, how easy the editor is - not to mention the time span we’re talking about at this juncture.

Hopefully more people will step up to fill in the gaps like Leon is doing sine apparently  ED isn’t that concerned. 

Others who are learning the editor like Wolf - good job. Maybe you’ll end up creating a campaign as well. I encourage you to give it a go.

Aside from the 28 paid campaigns there's a ton of free user made stuff here: 

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=165

There's standalone missions, campaigns, dynamic campaigns, etc. for most modules. I'd agree that WW2 and the F-86/Mig-15 are a bit under served (WW2 getting less so but the Korean modules are very thin for additional content). But for the more modern stuff there's a lot of user made content and it's growing all the time. Most 3rd party developers are incorporating campaigns into their development planes too. Razbam has for the Mirage and Harrier with Baltic Dragon. Heatblur will have 2 campaigns include with the F-14.