LuseKofte

DCS news

S!

Did you see the latest images of the upgraded Bf109K-4 cockpit coming next week? Holy balloons it looked fantastic!

13 hours ago, jcomm said:

I am finding the Spitfires in IL.2 after the FM update that took place early 2018 ( or was it already in 2017 ? ) ... a bit  "arcadish" / tamed / without the "live" they're described to have in many references I've read.

One of these days I installed the Spitfire IX module in DCS 2.5.3, and took it for a ride. I tested the takeoff and landing, and felt very disappointed when I found out it was performing pretty much like in IL.2, which I do not find very "realistic"... T thought to myself - maybe my problem after all ? 😕

Then I checked the controls Special Options Tab and found out I had "takeoff assistance" set to 100% 🙂

With this "arcade" option turned OFF, wow, the DCS Spitfire really feels like what I read everywhere about it, from taxi, to takeoff, flight, landing...  Every little bit, including that detail of the elevator seen slightly deflected down in straight & level flight at cruise speed&power settings, but also the dance on the rudder required at the final stages of landing when the tail / rudder become less effective, etc...

Yep spitfire is my favorite no question. Highly recommend the campaign called 'the big show' as well. First mission take off from blighty and fly to france. I felt like I was in the battle of britain!

Takes a while to get to France you know? First contact with the enemy I was immediately shot down! That was that! And I was looking forward to the bloody war! Was a rude awakening!

When DCS finally gets it's damage model, and performance optimizations it will be unbeatable IMO.

VR users can use coms F10 options to turn off some of the units to increase performance.

I'm also going with motion smoothing from now on I think, as its just too smooth, and difficult to not use once tasted! I just roleplay that this is the effect that propellers, combined with heat/engines and gunsights create! Gotta still try to avoid missions that are too heavy though, as it can get ridiciulous. I think I'm getting used to it, and its a small price to pay for better graphics, and much better performance.

I also mapped my gunsight to my VPC so I can toggle it only when in combat.

The big show, seems better performance wise than epsom. One reason is that they use dynamic weather which means no FPS drops and you can actually fly in clouds! That is a huge plus, and something I am very happy about.

Another is -at least on the mission I played- there was not ridiculous amounts of flak/AA!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 3:54 AM, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Did you see the latest images of the upgraded Bf109K-4 cockpit coming next week? Holy balloons it looked fantastic!

Yeah I saw that. Although I aint getting too excited as sometimes something that looks great in 2D or in a screen shot looks poor in VR. Lighting will also be a very important factor, which is very often poor in DCS cockpits.

Dcs World F-22 Raptor 

I used to play F22 Air Dominance Fighter Total Air World in 1998 with VR FDX very funny and interesting, see the subjective impression: 

Edited by RAY-EU

42 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Is 2025 the release date?

Well campaigns do not yet have the “2 weeks” syndrome 

Anyway Bartek is now uploading his summer textures 

he is a great artist

3A7AD388-CE13-48D7-83DB-71C1142760C8.jpeg

i play DCS alot if you you see me in GAW or blueflag say hi ,

• Like 2

Copy ! 

Edited by RAY-EU

On 12/15/2018 at 2:24 AM, jcomm said:

Every little bit, including that detail of the elevator seen slightly deflected down in straight & level flight at cruise speed&power settings, but also the dance on the rudder required at the final stages of landing when the tail / rudder become less effective, etc...

I learned about that dance on the rudder trick when reading First Light (actually listening to) by Geoffrey Wellum, and it really works. Without that my landings could still get bouncy, but now combined with a trimed 3 pointer I float in gracefully!  

Great video, and looks like the F-16 will be next year as most of the work has already been/is being done developing the F/A-18. The new detailed damage model is close to completion too reading from some of the dev testers on the DCS forums. I think the quality of the IL2 damage model has put the pressure on ED to develop a comparable one for DCS. Looks like competition, as usual, is good for the consumer. Gives us a great excuse to continue to support both dev teams.

Edited by Wulfen

1 hour ago, Wulfen said:

Great video, and looks like the F-16 will be next year as most of the work has already been/is being done developing the F/A-18. The new detailed damage model is close to completion too reading from some of the dev testers on the DCS forums. I think the quality of the IL2 damage model has put the pressure on ED to develop a comparable one for DCS. Looks like competition, as usual, is good for the consumer. Gives us a great excuse to continue to support both dev teams.

I don't follow the DCS forums very much, so I actually didn't know they were changing the DM.  I gather that the new damage model will affect all aircraft?  (For examp, I love Mi-8 helo, but it is very wimpy when taking fire, and I'm hoping that changes at some point)

9 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

I don't follow the DCS forums very much, so I actually didn't know they were changing the DM.  I gather that the new damage model will affect all aircraft?  (For examp, I love Mi-8 helo, but it is very wimpy when taking fire, and I'm hoping that changes at some point)

A mention of some talent transfer to DCS from a competing company with an already extensive damage model is an interesting development if true, https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=194540&page=26.

I imagine yes, the DM would have to be across the platform for it to work properly.

Edited by Wulfen

Video is amazig, though not sure if bombers at 2:03 bombed French city or what ? Or perhaps its a footage from that new ww2 map they were going to make. I also saw (I think) 190 A-8 which is going to come. Overall 2019 appears to be a year I can look forward to ;)

F-16...woaaah. My absolute favourite jet fighter of all time. I planned to go for the F-14 initially, but now i'll wait for this beauty. Must buy for me 🙂 I hope by the time of release there will be a better VR headset so I can read the gauges properly 😅

Great Trailer. The end and the teaser for F16 brought back some fond memories to Spectrum Holobytes Falcon 3.0. Oh if they only could give us something comparable today.

• Like 1

F 16😳 had no idea

As usual I am happy for that. But I wish there where a Russian adversary with same level of capability coming. Now everybody gonna fly the Viper

8 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

But I wish there where a Russian adversary with same level of capability coming.

Which one? There is none. 

Looks like the Spit (and others) are getting some love in the update to Open Beta coming today.

Excerpt from today's patch notes:

WWII Update:
Introduced an improved of Bf 109, Fw 190, P-51D and Spitfire IX cockpits and external models.
Added another version of the P-51D Mustang: P-51D-25-NA. This version has different IFF and radio equipment.

1 hour ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

Let’s say a Russian full fidelity fighter not coming from fc3 and not from vietnam era

Just now, LuseKofte said:

Let’s say a Russian full fidelity fighter not coming from fc3 and not from vietnam era

Ok, the F-16 is not a pure fighter though. It can do pretty much everything (and very good) from heavy ground attack over SEAD to air superiority. The Russians don't have an aircraft that is comparable.

But I agree, I would also like a Russian full fidelity fighter, one that's not yet in game. Problem is, there are not many left. Mig-27 would be possible, but no match for 80'/90's jet of the west. Mig-31, but it can't do anything else then intercept. All other modern Russian jets are too modern and surely don't have document clearance.

1 hour ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

Ok, the F-16 is not a pure fighter though

F 16 is to me the plane that put me from being a fat slow target into a ground pounder with respect. Flying IL 2 here and choppers SU 25 and A 10 in DCS that is a revolution.  I guess Russia never really had a similar nimble multitask jet

3 hours ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

I guess Su-30MK but yeah good luck having clearance for that. 

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

For VR folks, after today's update you can now manipulate buttons with your fingers in the cockpit - at least it works with the Oculus Touch Controllers.

I just checked it out in the Spit.

Edited by dburne

13 minutes ago, dburne said:

For VR folks, after today's update you can now manipulate buttons with your fingers in the cockpit - at least it works with the Oculus Touch Controllers.

I just checked it out in the Spit.

Does it work well with touch? Do you have to take off the controllers to go back to the Hotas and fumble around with it? Or is it seamless like wearing gloves, so the controllers can stay on while using the HOTAS? Can you also actually see the pilots arms reaching out for the buttons, or is it just a hand or a cursor? Downloading now, though no hope of it working well with the Vive's wands!

7 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Does it work well with touch? Do you have to take off the controllers to go back to the Hotas and fumble around with it? Or is it seamless like wearing gloves, so the controllers can stay on while using the HOTAS? Can you also actually see the pilots arms reaching out for the buttons, or is it just a hand or a cursor? Downloading now, though no hope of it working well with the Vive's wands!

I have only briefly checked it out, can manipulate buttons and levers with the Touch controllers using fingers. 

I did not try with the main throttle and stick, it tried to move throttle a little but since my throttle and stick are plugged in that is probably causing the resistance. I would have no desire to use the Touch controllers for the throttle and stick so really did not go further into that.

So if I want to manipulate buttons with my left hand, I pull the trigger on left Touch to make it active and push buttons with forefinger, or grab and pull/push levers. 

Then same with right Touch for using right hand.

Should at least be fun for cold starts. Very interactive and immersive.

I was even able to manipulate the wobble pump in the Spit, although was kind of clumsy for it.

Edited by dburne

5 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

That`s really what is needed, a haptic glove. Otherwise it`s a bit too award picking up controllers and then switching back to hotas. too much fluting around and takes too long, the mouse is handier.

Edited by Wulfen
  • Upvote 1

Very nice video indeed. I would love to see something like that for IL2 although I dont think sinking the devs time into that is the best use. Maybe a community made vid?

The F16 is a nice surprise. Im not too excited about F18 or F14 but for whatever reason F16 sounds awesome to me.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:55 PM, Wulfen said:

A mention of some talent transfer to DCS from a competing company with an already extensive damage model is an interesting development if true, https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=194540&page=26.

I imagine yes, the DM would have to be across the platform for it to work properly.

Is that a reference to IL2? which is the "sim that shall not be named"??

5 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Very nice video indeed. I would love to see something like that for IL2 although I dont think sinking the devs time into that is the best use. Maybe a community made vid?

The F16 is a nice surprise. Im not too excited about F18 or F14 but for whatever reason F16 sounds awesome to me.

War Thunder is the only thing I can think of that shall not be named. Not a sim though so not really sure.

• Thanks 1

Quoting Yo-Yo: "If you mean abandoned sim with the same name that is not to name - it's true."

Pretty obvious...

Edited by Picchio

3 hours ago, Danziger said:

War Thunder is the only thing I can think of that shall not be named. Not a sim though so not really sure.

No it's Il-2. They are very strict over at the DCS forums about anyone making posts about the competition! So it's just known as 'the other sim' or the one that cannot be named!

12 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Probable an former Russian programmer of OM/Luthier team who work in IL-2: CloD.

Edited by Sokol1

I really can't tell about which sim he was referring to, but for sure I do like War Thunder's damage models / effects. 

Are they ultra-precise systems wise ? Probably not, but still do a very convincing job, IMHO … As much as WT as a whole actually does - after years refusing to even push the installer into my rig, last month I decided to give WT a try, and was amazed buy the true joy playing it can be.

Yes I still prefer DCS, or even in some aspects IL-2 BoX, but I became a fan of WT too.