No.322_LuseKofte

DCS news

9 hours ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

Just asking because I use VR and I am CPU capped in any sim (even though running a 8770k at 4,9ghz).

Thanks ūüôā

Apart from that, it sounds quite nice tbh

Just regarding VR, I`ve no personal experience but I`ve read complaints re the Normandy map and optimization issues in relation to playability due to frequent fps drops. The map has likely got a lot less attention from the devs than the more used and recent additions. Maybe someone here may be able to throw some light on that issue, if it is the case.

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

ANY semblance of single player content would be an improvement. Including for the jets. BoX’s career is not dynamic, but it doesn’t need to be, and it’s pretty damn good.

DCS should have pages and pages if single player campaigns by now. There’s a whopping 3 (short mind you) pages.

This is why I know better than to get sucked in by beautiful trailers - there’s just no (or not enough) actual content to back them up.  

If they were smart they’d have a new F15 Red Flag campaign every other year at least. I love the idea of flying the F15 in Red Flag, but I’m not going to hassle with DCS for one damn campaign.

If this were different I’d be all over DCS.

I`m tinkering with the Pat Wilson campaign mod which I believe is dynamic/randomized, something like that would fit the bill for DCS. Also are the other campaigns some bit randomized as well, as I thought I read that events can happen sporadically during a mission to an extent. I bow to your greater knowledge of the mission system through your experience making campaigns etc. 

By the way when is that one with the A-20 due in the wild.

Edited by Wulfen

You can definitely randomize things in a mission - it’s an extremely powerful editor.

Usually ‚Äúdynamic‚ÄĚ is used in a ‚Äúmission 2 is generated based on the results of mission 1‚ÄĚ sense.¬†

A-20 campaign waiting on translations, which are coming along nicely from what I understand. What I’m not sure about is whether the release will have to be bundled with a full update or not. That’s the impression that I have however.

On 11/28/2018 at 9:24 AM, II./JG77_Manu* said:

Thanks for your comprehensive answer. If you don't mind, I have a few more questions.

How big are the bomber streams? Is it just a couple, a swarm of around 10, or closer to 100 bombers in total?

How is the performance? Do the bomber streams cause any problem?

Just asking because I use VR and I am CPU capped in any sim (even though running a 8770k at 4,9ghz).

Thanks ūüôā

Apart from that, it sounds quite nice tbh

Manu,

I also use VR and fly  IL2 and DCS exclusively.

The bomber streams in "The Big Show" campaign are quite large approaching 50-60-70+, and numerous fighters both offensive and defensive.. 

Bomber related combat is at very high altitudes with lots of condensation trails, however the designer has properly considered less powerful PCs

in his mission setups and gives an option at the beginning of the flights to reduce the number of planes/combatants to what is manageable to a particular PC.  

DCS also offers another Spitfire campaign and also one for the P-51, both of which are very good..

IL2 at this time does not have large bomber streams because it is set on the Eastern Front, however the IL2 career mode is very extensive, challenging

and immersive with quite beautiful terrain detail.   I particularly like the ability to fly almost all the planes available with different and realistic scenarios.

Both DCS and IL2 are top notch in every respect and each has its strong and weak points.

Edited by fiddlinjim
left out info

1 minute ago, fiddlinjim said:

Manu,

I also use VR and fly  IL2 and DCS exclusively.

The bomber streams in "The Big Show" campaign are quite large approaching 50-60-70+, and numerous fighters both offensive and defensive.. 

Bomber related combat is at very high altitudes with lots of condensation trails, however the designer has properly considered less powerful PCs

in his mission setups and gives an option at the beginning of the flights to reduce the number of planes/combatants to what is manageable to a particular PC.  

DCS also offers another Spitfire campaign and also one for the P-51, both of which are very good..

IL2 at this time does not have large bomber streams because it is set on the Eastern Front, however the IL2 career mode is very extensive, challenging

and immersive with quite beautiful terrain detail.   I particularly like the ability to fly almost all the planes available with different and realistic scenarios.

Thanks for your answer regarding DCS ūüôā

I heared that the B-17 did have no damage model and went down after a single hit, is this still the case?

I don't like the IL2 career mode too much, to be honest. For me AI is too bad, too easy, and the performance is not good enough when frontline activity is set to "dense" (the only realistic setting in terms of numbers)..even when 8 bombers are attacking in one formation, the FPS drop way below 45. Because of this I am only flying multiplayer (TAW) atm

1 minute ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

Thanks for your answer regarding DCS ūüôā

I heared that the B-17 did have no damage model and went down after a single hit, is this still the case?

I don't like the IL2 career mode too much, to be honest. For me AI is too bad, too easy, and the performance is not good enough when frontline activity is set to "dense" (the only realistic setting in terms of numbers)..even when 8 bombers are attacking in one formation, the FPS drop way below 45. Because of this I am only flying multiplayer (TAW) atm

I can't say about all B-17 attacks but when I've flown against them their return fire is very dangerous and they didn't fall out of the sky with only one of my hits.   

There is one exception in the "Instant Action" scenarios where the Spit is following a B-17 on the mission opening and the bomber is too easily shot down, however I have not

found that to be the case in the campaigns or single missions.

• Upvote 1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3552954#post3552954 - This seems a good effort at a dynamic campaign for DCS and worth checking out.

18 hours ago, Gordon200 said:

I think IL2 has it in the looks department, that`s before you consider IL2`s outstanding damage model. I think the Me 262 will open up the future development of jet aircraft in the IL2 BoX series, maybe Korea and Vietnam.

Edited by Wulfen

From today's Newsletter - should be interesting:

Virtual Reality Update
We see VR as an amazing tool to enjoy DCS World and the future of PC gaming for many. To make DCS World even better, we’ve been working on some great VR improvements that include:

• Optimized VR performance.
  • Touch control that allows direct finger interaction with cockpit controls.
  • Touch control to allow the right and left Touch controllers to act as stick and throttle when positioned correctly in the virtual cockpit and holding down the middle-finger button.

These will provide a much more immersive VR experience, particularly for those flying warbirds and other aircraft that do not require HOTAS controls.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:53 AM, Gordon200 said:

No comparison for me to be honest. Box is a better game overall but the spitfire in DCS is IMO a much better module than it's individual counterpart in Box .

Sensitivity is insane, and as the real pilots used to say, you only have to blow on it!

On 11/29/2018 at 12:11 AM, Wulfen said:

Just regarding VR, I`ve no personal experience but I`ve read complaints re the Normandy map and optimization issues in relation to playability due to frequent fps drops. The map has likely got a lot less attention from the devs than the more used and recent additions. Maybe someone here may be able to throw some light on that issue, if it is the case.

Normandy was done by a 3rd party developer, who, as far as I know, is currently working on another map and compared to the other maps it doesn¬īt use SpeedTree technology, which was said, to be one aspect of worse performance. And yes, it feels a bit neglected.

Performance is a bit worse for me on Normandy compared to the rest but it still runs decent enough - don¬īt have VR though.

But here is a topic on Reddit on how to get out more frames on Normandy for VR:

Edited by 9./JG27golani79

Normandy saw major update in June and it performs a lot better than before. I personally have the same amount of FPS on Normandy in DCS as I have on Kuban in Il-2. In VR it might be different, I wouldnt know. But for standard gameplay on monitor I cant see a difference in performance. 

I think IL-2 took the lead in the VR performance department since the last update.

Hopefully ED will be able to accomplish similar improvements with whatever they are going to be doing to optimize DCS VR performance.

On 11/29/2018 at 12:36 AM, Gambit21 said:

it’s an extremely powerful editor.

Sois DCS and a bit more userfriendly. I have not flown any campaign in BOX that I have enjoyed more than the ones I flown in DCS except from  Sea Dragons perhaps. I think your A 20 will be too :) I stopped thinking about bugs and what should have been in all simulators I fly. Yes DCS is full of mistakes and bugs, Yes AP rounds is too powerful against other planes in BOX.

I simply use them for what they are, avoiding the immersion killers in both.

I am pretty frustrated , I cannot figure out what plane to fly in DCS. So I learn the Harrier at the moment. I only set up the controls for it on what I need, so I can easily change if I find a better way to use my buttons for. So far I have learned the different ways to navigate and find the tanker for refueling. Now I have to do that hundreds of times until I actually get to connect and refuel. By that time navigation and handling the systems will be a second nature. Then I start on the weapon system .

Harrier got very similar system as A 10 and Hornet, so I guess relearning the A 10 will be a bit easier after that. Then the Hornet. And for f... sake, I probably buy the Tomcat too. I promised I would not. Because Viggen has not been flown as much as it should have been done. I am totally screwed 

35 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Then the Hornet. And for f... sake, I probably buy the Tomcat too. I promised I would not. Because Viggen has not been flown as much as it should have been done. I am totally screwed 

Lol, I feel your pain...

• Upvote 1

Just got into flying DCS after the last update. Gotta say, that Persian Gulf map is The Bomb! They keep adding landmarks and airfields. And if you get the lighting just right, it's gorgeous.

Just grabbed the Harrier in the sale, promised myself I wouldn't, as I have far too many modules to ever learn. Really need to slap myself round the back of the head and learn one aircraft properly.

Think I'm also going to go back to monitor rather than VR for a while in DCS, far too many buttons in modern jets and it's all just a bit too blurry for me. VR in IL2 is much better/easier.

Edited by Archie

17 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Sois DCS and a bit more userfriendly. I have not flown any campaign in BOX that I have enjoyed more than the ones I flown in DCS except from  Sea Dragons perhaps. I think your A 20 will be too :) I stopped thinking about bugs and what should have been in all simulators I fly. Yes DCS is full of mistakes and bugs, Yes AP rounds is too powerful against other planes in BOX.

I simply use them for what they are, avoiding the immersion killers in both.

I am pretty frustrated , I cannot figure out what plane to fly in DCS. So I learn the Harrier at the moment. I only set up the controls for it on what I need, so I can easily change if I find a better way to use my buttons for. So far I have learned the different ways to navigate and find the tanker for refueling. Now I have to do that hundreds of times until I actually get to connect and refuel. By that time navigation and handling the systems will be a second nature. Then I start on the weapon system .

Harrier got very similar system as A 10 and Hornet, so I guess relearning the A 10 will be a bit easier after that. Then the Hornet. And for f... sake, I probably buy the Tomcat too. I promised I would not. Because Viggen has not been flown as much as it should have been done. I am totally screwed 

Viggen has actually got some really cool and unique weapon systems, but alas I have neglected her too. Everytime I fly a jet I always ask myself why I dont do it more often? Same with BoX though, it's almost as if I forget how amazing it is! At least in this sale, I controlled myself and didn't buy any more modules! Not that there was much to buy anymore though...

48 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Just got into flying DCS after the last update. Gotta say, that Persian Gulf map is The Bomb! They keep adding landmarks and airfields. And if you get the lighting just right, it's gorgeous.

Where've ya been man? ūüėÄ

Try flying a WW2 plane or a helicopter through all the skyscrapers!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wolf8312 said:

Viggen has actually got some really cool and unique weapon systems, but alas I have neglected her too. Everytime I fly a jet I always ask myself why I dont do it more often? Same with BoX though, it's almost as if I forget how amazing it is! At least in this sale, I controlled myself and didn't buy any more modules! Not that there was much to buy anymore though...

It's more embarrassing for me. I have an entire tutorial series on how to operate the Viggen on youtube and I fly her so rarely now that I end up watching my own freaking tutorials! :scratch_one-s_head:

The Viggen is certainly a unique plane though. That thrust reverser and the some of the anti-ship missiles are both cool and highly effective. Just have to have the right mission type for it since she is a bit of a one trick pony.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, BeastyBaiter said:

It's more embarrassing for me. I have an entire tutorial series on how to operate the Viggen on youtube and I fly her so rarely now that I end up watching my own freaking tutorials! :scratch_one-s_head:

The Viggen is certainly a unique plane though. That thrust reverser and the some of the anti-ship missiles are both cool and highly effective. Just have to have the right mission type for it since she is a bit of a one trick pony.

Yeah the only problem I have with it is there are no guns/cannons. You can use gunpods but they suck! Thats why for me I will always prefer the mirage, cause Viggen is kinda, fly to target unload, and then fly home again. I like to know I have some firepower, at all times! It's got some crazy weapons though!

On 11/30/2018 at 3:03 PM, dburne said:

From today's Newsletter - should be interesting:

Virtual Reality Update
We see VR as an amazing tool to enjoy DCS World and the future of PC gaming for many. To make DCS World even better, we’ve been working on some great VR improvements that include:

• Optimized VR performance.
  • Touch control that allows direct finger interaction with cockpit controls.
  • Touch control to allow the right and left Touch controllers to act as stick and throttle when positioned correctly in the virtual cockpit and holding down the middle-finger button.

These will provide a much more immersive VR experience, particularly for those flying warbirds and other aircraft that do not require HOTAS controls.

There is no doubt VR is the future of sim gaming, and a very good experience is already here. One which will hopefully get a good boost next year with the CV2 etc. It`s VR or nothing now at this stage for me, I just would not bother with the 2D experience for flight & driving sims. Flying the Harrier earlier in DCS and dropping laser guided bombs from >20000ft raining mayhem from above, all while surrounded by a glorious vista with sun rays glinting of my canopy. Not to forget IL2 which is the pinnacle of a WW2 flying experience today. There is nothing to touch flying amongst a bomber formation, canons blazing. All while aircrew are bailing out left right and centre and assorted chucks of aircraft both big and small fly past your canopy within touching distance of your head. You are not going to get within a country mile of any such experience outside of VR and the real thing. We are lucky to be able to mix it up with the modern and historic and should continue to support such efforts.

In relation to the hands in VR I think we would need some sort of haptic glove rather than touch controls, you could then just use an unconnected joystick and throttle to make it more tangible. Personally I`d take better optimization and fps all day everyday before worrying about touch.

Edited by Wulfen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Wulfen said:

There is no doubt VR is the future of sim gaming, and a very good experience is already here. One which will hopefully get a good boost next year with the CV2 etc. It`s VR or nothing now at this stage for me, I just would not bother with the 2D experience for flight & driving sims. Flying the Harrier earlier in DCS and dropping laser guided bombs from >20000ft raining mayhem from above, all while surrounded by a glorious vista with sun rays glinting of my canopy. Not to forget IL2 which is the pinnacle of a WW2 flying experience today. There is nothing to touch flying amongst a bomber formation, canons blazing. All while aircrew are bailing out left right and centre and assorted chucks of aircraft both big and small fly past your canopy within touching distance of your head. You are not going to get within a country mile of any such experience outside of VR and the real thing. We are lucky to be able to mix it up with the modern and historic and should continue to support such efforts.

In relation to the hands in VR I think we would need some sort of haptic glove rahter than touch controls, you could then just use an unconnected joystick and throttle to make it more tangible. Personally I`d take better optimization and fps all day everyday before worrying about touch.

Great description of the VR experience.

I hooked up my Rift on Jan 15th 2017.

Have not gamed on the monitor since. Any game.

Those of you here that have flown the WW2 birds in DCS are they worth the current $25, and how are they as a flying experience in comparison to IL2. I think the problem in DCS is likely that lack of content in the form of campaigns/career on the WW2 front, certainly nothing like the mission system in IL2. As a consequence is Normandy & assets worth buying for the novelty of doing ultra fast day trips across the channel and back in the modern stuff.

I suppose we could park a modern aircraft carrier and jets off Calais and do a remake of The Final Countdown, w/o Kirk Douglas in the lead role this tme.

Anyone here tried the Yak-52,  and what`s the verdict.

Edited by Wulfen

6 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Where've ya been man? ūüėÄ

Try flying a WW2 plane or a helicopter through all the skyscrapers!

Sorry, I wasn't precise. I meant to say "back into" flying DCS. I hadn't flown DCS in many weeks and just loaded it up last night after I updated it. Been flying it for a year or two.

I have the P-51D and the F-86, amongst others, but those are my favorites. And I do enjoy a good slalom run between the skyscrapers and crane towers. :cool:

15 hours ago, Wulfen said:

Those of you here that have flown the WW2 birds in DCS are they worth the current $25, and how are they as a flying experience in comparison to IL2. I think the problem in DCS is likely that lack of content in the form of campaigns/career on the WW2 front, certainly nothing like the mission system in IL2. As a consequence is Normandy & assets worth buying for the novelty of doing ultra fast day trips across the channel and back in the modern stuff.

I suppose we could park a modern aircraft carrier and jets off Calais and do a remake of The Final Countdown, w/o Kirk Douglas in the lead role this tme.

Anyone here tried the Yak-52,  and what`s the verdict.

No guns in the Yak-52, but its a fantastic module and the agility  is incredible. Great for just loading up a map like Vegas, or Dubai, and pulling insane stunts through the skyscrapers. The kind of moves that will get you killed in other planes will succeed in the Yak-52, and in VR it just feels great. Would really love to stick a gun on it though!

I love the WW2 modules and don't regret buying any of them, but it depends what you are looking for. I personally have no problem with finding content for DCS, as there is plenty online, and I make my own missions with no difficulty, but the SP experience isn't quite as coherent as the Box expereince.  To be honest I've grown weary of comparisons, because it implies a sim flight enthusiast  should choose one or the other, when in fact an enthusiast should own, and love both! They are both different, but essentially the same thing. I'm glad I own both, though I tend to gravitate more towards DCS...

IMO, DCS has superior flight models, whereas BOX is the better all round SP experience, but thats not really because the missions are better. As after all BOX campaign is just a mission generator providing missions that are quite easily matched, or bettered using the DCS mission editor. Make no mistake some WW2 missions in DCS are incredibly immersive. Take off and landing physics are too without question more realistic/challenging.

Problem is that DCS WW2 content is scattered all over the place, and there are very few campaigns, but that's the nature of the DCS experience!

To be hoenst even in BOX I still think the best content out there is not the main campaign, but the user made scripted campaigns. Some of the DCS missions are really immersive as well for example being over portsmouth as it burns below you, as incoming 109's roll in to attack the shipping convoys. Really feels like a battle of britain! What's not to love?

There are others too where you can fly to England or vice versa! Let no-one tell you there is no content, it's just campaigns that are lacking. There are campaigns though such as the excellent spitfire epsom campaign, just too few of them. 

But man the DCS modules themselves are so cool, I always find myself going back to them!

Best use the DCS shader mod if you are in VR though.

Oh and yeah, as sucky and limited as it is, you should get the asset pack. I have to say I am not happy with it (no search lights or proper AA on the allied side) and it never seems to get any love, but you will need WW2 units if you want to build and fly some proper WW2 missions. Normandy performance is fine for me, though that mod is a real help!

Edited by Wolf8312

3 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:
Spoiler

No guns in the Yak-52, but its a fantastic module and the agility  is incredible. Great for just loading up a map like Vegas, or Dubai, and pulling insane stunts through the skyscrapers. The kind of moves that will get you killed in other planes will succeed in the Yak-52, and in VR it just feels great. Would really love to stick a gun on it though!

I love the WW2 modules and don't regret buying any of them, but it depends what you are looking for. I personally have no problem with finding content for DCS, as there is plenty online, and I make my own missions with no difficulty, but the SP experience isn't quite as coherent as the Box expereince.  To be honest I've grown weary of comparisons, because it implies a sim flight enthusiast  should choose one or the other, when in fact an enthusiast should own, and love both! They are both different, but essentially the same thing. I'm glad I own both, though I tend to gravitate more towards DCS...

IMO, DCS has superior flight models, whereas BOX is the better all round SP experience, but thats not really because the missions are better. As after all BOX campaign is just a mission generator providing missions that are quite easily matched, or bettered using the DCS mission editor. Make no mistake some WW2 missions in DCS are incredibly immersive. Take off and landing physics are too without question more realistic/challenging.

Problem is that DCS WW2 content is scattered all over the place, and there are very few campaigns, but that's the nature of the DCS experience!

To be hoenst even in BOX I still think the best content out there is not the main campaign, but the user made scripted campaigns. Some of the DCS missions are really immersive as well for example being over portsmouth as it burns below you, as incoming 109's roll in to attack the shipping convoys. Really feels like a battle of britain! What's not to love?

There are others too where you can fly to England or vice versa! Let no-one tell you there is no content, it's just campaigns that are lacking. There are campaigns though such as the excellent spitfire epsom campaign, just too few of them. 

But man the DCS modules themselves are so cool, I always find myself going back to them!

Oh and yeah, as sucky and limited as it is, you should get the asset pack. I have to say I am not happy with it (no search lights or proper AA on the allied side) and it never seems to get any love, but you will need WW2 units if you want to build and fly some proper WW2 missions. Normandy performance is fine for me, though that mod is a real help!

Have you used the Yak 52 on Blue Flag or other as recon/transport? 

on a side note, is the beta client constantly crashing for anyone else even after only ~5 mins of flying?

5 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

I picked it up last night with the assets bundle, it will give more options for missions etc. I`ll leave the WW2 birds alone for the moment, I have IL2 for that itch. Performance wise it`s taxing on high setting even with the 2080, but`s that VR, always chasing the dragon with the need of more fps and optimization.

1 hour ago, Guccigang_Zesphr said:

on a side note, is the beta client constantly crashing for anyone else even after only ~5 mins of flying?

No it seems fine for me.

Edited by Wulfen
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tuesday said:

Have you used the Yak 52 on Blue Flag or other as recon/transport? 

Not yet no, sounds fun!

2 hours ago, Wulfen said:

I picked it up last night with the assets bundle, it will give more options for missions etc. I`ll leave the WW2 birds alone for the moment, I have IL2 for that itch. Performance wise it`s taxing on high setting even with the 2080, but`s that VR, always chasing the dragon with the need of more fps and optimization.

Yup, thats why you need that mod, but I think devs have something coming as well bud! Wait. You got the assets pack, but no WW2 planes? What could you use AP/normandy for on it's own?

Trust me man, spitfire is a god damned masterpiece. Get it in the sale while you can, otherwise there is precious little point in even having normandy!

Edited by Wolf8312

Not yet no, sounds fun!

Yup, thats why you need that mod, but I think devs have something coming as well bud! Wait. You got the assets pack, but no WW2 planes? What could you use AP/normandy for on it's own?

Trust me man, spitfire is a god damned masterpiece. Get it in the sale while you can, otherwise there is precious little point in even having normandy!

I have the MiG-15 and the Sabre and they are a great experience to fly, I`ll be doing a bit of time paradox and blowing B-17`s etc. into small pieces. I have IL2 for the WW2 warbirds, maybe the next sale. I`ve already nearly cleaned the DCS store out in the last week or so. The only modules I don`t have now are the WW2 birds, Hawk (now discontinued) the L-39, C-101, Yak, combined arms and the navigation addon.  My fist purchase was the Viggen a few months back in a flash sale (66% off), then the F-18 & PG terrain and heli bundle shortly after.

Edited by Wulfen

Not yet no, sounds fun!

Agreed, the Spit is an incredible plane !

Well I relented before the sale ended and bought the four WW2 warbirds and the available campaigns. At just over 20 euro a piece and less for the mustang, they represent good bang for buck.  At a quick look the Dora and the Spitfire`s cockpits look very nice, the K-4`s looks a bit more drab, but I really like the 109`s in IL2. The Mustang is receiving an update in the near future which it sorely needs, so we can look forward to that. It will be interesting comparing the flight characteristics between their twin in IL2.

Accordingly it will be beans on toast till the new year, and likely a big chicken instead of the turkey for Christmas :)

Edited by Wulfen
  • Upvote 1

Put my T 50 grip back on and grabbed the Harrier before the sale ends, it is a lot of fun!

8 hours ago, Wulfen said:

I have the MiG-15 and the Sabre and they are a great experience to fly, I`ll be doing a bit of time paradox and blowing B-17`s etc. into small pieces. I have IL2 for the WW2 warbirds, maybe the next sale. I`ve already nearly cleaned the DCS store out in the last week or so. The only modules I don`t have now are the WW2 birds, Hawk (now discontinued) the L-39, C-101, Yak, combined arms and the navigation addon.  My fist purchase was the Viggen a few months back in a flash sale (66% off), then the F-18 & PG terrain and heli bundle shortly after.

Ha well with that I can definately empathize, and won't encourage you to buy any more, as I, and I think all of us, have enough on our proverbial plates when it comes to DCS!

I think as of now I have

The spitfire

BF-109K

FW-190D

P-51

Mirage

Viggen

Hornet

A10-C

Mig-21

Gazelle

Black shark

Huey

MI-8

Yak-52

Normandy

Vegas

Pesian gulf

Asset pack

HTC vive, pedals, Throttle quartet, VPC mongoose, Jetseat, warthog throttle!

And they told me DCS was a free game!

5 hours ago, Wulfen said:

Well I relented before the sale ended and bought the four WW2 warbirds and the available campaigns. At just over 20 euro a piece and less for the mustang, they represent good bang for buck.  At a quick look the Dora and the Spitfire`s cockpits look very nice, the K-4`s looks a bit more drab, but I really like the 109`s in IL2. The Mustang is receiving an update in the near future which it sorely needs, so we can look forward to that. It will be interesting comparing the flight characteristics between their twin in IL2.

Accordingly it will be beans on toast till the new year, and likely a big chicken instead of the turkey for Christmas :)

ūü§£ I never saw this before I posted! Lol!

Edited by Wolf8312

13 hours ago, Wulfen said:

Beans on toast is good. :biggrin:

What kind of update for the P51? I have that one and it's good fun.

47 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Beans on toast is good. :biggrin:

What kind of update for the P51? I have that one and it's good fun.

It will get an updated cockpit with PBR-textures.

P-51D-cockpit-improvements-1.jpg

Also, there will be a updated external model to include the  P-51D-25 and P-51D-30 versions.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Archie said:

Put my T 50 grip back on and grabbed the Harrier before the sale ends, it is a lot of fun!

I really like the Harrier and it`s now a firm favourite. Extremely versatile, easy enough to get a good handle on it`s abilities but I think would be a good challenge to master. Lasing targets and dropping multiple  GBU 16`s from >20,000 ft, followed by a satisfying splash is always a treat. Definitely a steal at 50% off and I believe there is more to come from Razbam in relation to the development of the module. I now must put some time into the Mirage to get a handle on it`s systems, it`s a beautiful aircraft and extremely stable.

On the WW2 birds. I did a few missions in the Spitfire, not too successfully I must say, but enjoyable. I found the flight model a good deal more skittish than the IL2 version, which is rock solid. On the flight mechanics and clickable cockpit experience, I enjoyed the problem solving aspect of it. A case in point being while travelling at speed with my three fellow wingmen to try and catch the main wing of approximately 12 or more spitfires heading for the French coastline. I, in my eagerness to maximise my closing speed hit the supercharger,  but of course I was at too low an altitude. Within about 30 seconds the engine started to splutter and rapidly lose power. I suddenly had an image of a watery end and frantically looked around the cockpit clicking switches, adjusting mixture, engine rpm etc.,  all the time losing speed and altitude. In the right corner of my eye I then saw the low fuel pressure light beaming ominously. Then it flashed into my brain about the startup sequence and the need to build up fuel pressure by the pumping of the black lever at my right shoulder.

At this stage the engine had died, so I began furious rapid movement on said level after which the light went out, I then hit the starter again while flapping about with the mixture and throttle whereupon the engine fired back into life. Immediately it was put to full power to recover from the dive with about a 1,000 ft to spare. This aspect of split second problem solving, technical and situational awareness was not something I was expecting as part of my endeavors, but it made the experience all the more realistic and thoroughly enjoyable, with a great sense of accomplishment that a crap rookie such as myself,  managed to pull his head out of the vice in which, I had so neatly placed it. It also gave the aircraft a life on it`s own, with a warning that if you fluted about, mistreated, or made the wrong decision in it`s operation it would ask for your life in return. Of course when I did catch up to main bunch and entered the fray, all my previous heroics went down in flames in short order, as our group merged with about 16 Dora`s high above the estuary.  The episode has left me with a new found appreciation of the system depth of the aircraft and the pilot interactions that flow from that.

In another very positive note, I have found that having at least 20 or more aircraft dicing with death high above the French coastline has little to no effect on the fps, which was hitting the 90fps for me on high settings, 1.4 PD, 4x MSAA and the shaders mod (RTX 2080).  In an earlier run against eight B17`s in my K-4 and later MiG-15, high above the channel I had a near steady 90fps. There was little to no impact on fps. Such AI aircraft numbers in IL2 would cause a massive drop in fps, something to think about.

My view is, well worth the sale price.

Edited by Wulfen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wulfen said:

I really like the Harrier and it`s now a firm favourite. Extremely versatile, easy enough to get a good handle on it`s abilities but I think would be a good challenge to master. Lasing targets and dropping multiple  GBU 16`s from >20,000 ft, followed by a satisfying splash is always a treat. 

Thanks, this will keep me going, I find it  extreemly difficult to refuel, but having fun trying

4 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Thanks, this will keep me going, I find it  extreemly difficult to refuel, but having fun trying

agrred, re-fueling the harrier is really weird, especially as you shouldn't even look at the probe however the built in mission helped more than any vid imo