LuseKofte

DCS news

Yeah, I see it every day on ACG/Burning Skies. For every 190 D-9 online there are about 5-7 109s. Makes me wonder why few only try to fly 190s, as its such a fantastic aircraft. And really challenging unlike 109. 

Yeah, I see it every day on ACG/Burning Skies. For every 190 D-9 online there are about 5-7 109s. Makes me wonder why few only try to fly 190s, as its such a fantastic aircraft. And really challenging unlike 109.

You just answered your own question.

DCS players as a group aren't very different from other gamers.

• Upvote 4

If server were not all about pure dogfighting things looked different. The 190 is better in terms of speed and plays the ernergy game better against the P51 than the 109.

In that Mk.IX engine start video the guy fantasy with many things.

Virtual planes ailerons, elevator, rudder, flaps... never lock.

Planes don't spawn with landing gear up or empty fuel, air tanks, etc.

What matter to start the engine is 4/5 steeps possible to do in less than a minute, what is more fun to do than watch a script running. ;)

Ah, and DCSW offer that "Win+Home" shortcut for engine start. Greeks and Trojans pleased.  :)

Edited by Sokol1

Yeah I cringed a bit at that video. But there are a lot of DCS players who like to go through all that nonsense, and then proceed to crash on takeoff. :lol:

In that Mk.IX engine start video the guy fantasy with many things.

Virtual planes ailerons, elevator, rudder, flaps... never lock.

Planes don't spawn with landing gear up or empty fuel, air tanks, etc.

I would say that was about the immersion, rathern than neccessity :)

It's not really any problem to ask ground crew to refuel aircraft, start up the engine and take-off under 1-1.5 minute in DCS. It's also the only way when your airfield is under continuous assault which is the standard situation for Allies on Burning Skies  :lol:

You just answered your own question.

DCS players as a group aren't very different from other gamers.

You are so right, it is absolutely the same online public server attitude as in all other games. 90 % F 15 (modern 109) and then you have those weird nerds flying Mirage, mig, SU , A 10 and choppers only because they "like" or "have a genuine interest" in them and do not care for the kills  :lol:

because they "like" or "have a genuine interest" in them

Same as in RoF, where some (like myself) take the Pfalz D.III when the Albatros D.Va is available :D

Same as in RoF, where some (like myself) take the Pfalz D.III when the Albatros D.Va is available :D

The Pfalz D.III at least can hold its own in a quick and dirty turn fight. The real "geek-plane" is the Pfalz D.XII.

Im glad we dont have the startup procedure in IL2. Having said that, the DCS Spit looks amazing.

I look forward to the spitfire in BOK, I'm sure it will also be a beauty.

Im glad we dont have the startup procedure in IL2.

That's really not a problem. 190 is just about flipping a dozen or so switches, engaging magnetos and opening one valve, moving throttle to start position and then playing with starter. And off you go. P-51 is as easy. Once you get what its all about it takes 30-60 seconds to start that aircraft, I'm more annoyed with taxying to the runway and all the folks crashing around, than with starting procedure.  

• Upvote 1

Guest deleted@30725

Dora, always the Dora. Best version of the 190. Shame about the rest of the game though :/

I'm more annoyed with taxying to the runway and all the folks crashing around, than with starting procedure.  

Didn't we all crash away from the news?

Edited by deleted@30725

Dora, always the Dora. Best version of the 190.

Yeah, thats what they say. And then you have 15 Red guys, 2 fly 190s and rest is wannabe Hartmanns in their 109s.  

Guest deleted@30725

Yeah, thats what they say. And then you have 15 Red guys, 2 fly 190s and rest is wannabe Hartmanns in their 109s.  

I was probably one of the two then when I owned the Dora, but ultimately I usually switched for the mustang because 17 red guys and only one blue.

I expect this to even out with the spit. I never know why people don't like flying the mustang. It's also a really nice pit to use.

Edited by deleted@30725

There is usually twice as many red guys, but I'd not say people dont like Mustang. Problem is that some specific guys are willing to fly only and exclusively one side and one aircraft for their own ego (and stats), so even when there are less enemies they refuse to switch. I refuse to be a target for someone else pleasure so play less recently.

In my opinion Spitfire wont change as much, it will turn, yes. But as far as I understood forum messages it is a 1943 machine performance wise and major disappointment for me was absence of gyro gunsight. Major problem is that 109 K-4 can outmaneuver P-51 while its also faster and accelerates better, Spitfire is even slower than P-51 and while it has a good rate of climb and maneuverability it wont be ultimate medicine for the problems that exist. 

And there is that P-40 F that is supposed to come some day. Guys who waited for P-40s in New Guinea in spring of 1942 eventually due to length of that wait named them Tomorrowhawks (as they were always supposed to arrive next day), I think that name fits well VEAO P-40 F as well. 

It's a beauty - nothing more than a passing curiosity to me though until there's a theater.

• Upvote 1

It's a beauty - nothing more than a passing curiosity to me though until there's a theater.

Same here, but there is a theatre for it coming out soon. Normandy 1944.

The lack of a proper WW2 theater is often brought up, but for me at least it doesn't matter at all. The planes are so realistic and complex that you'll forget about the theater when tangling with messers.  :biggrin:

I know I forget it, but not for very long. Having only dogfights gets quite boring pretty fast for me. I wonder what's the status with the Normandy setting.

Same here, but there is a theatre for it coming out soon. Normandy 1944.

For mustang and spitfire,yes. Not so much for Dora and Kurfurst. When they appeared in frontline units in numbers,the war has allredy moved out of Normandy closer to the borders of the Third Reich.

For mustang and spitfire,yes. Not so much for Dora and Kurfurst. When they appeared in frontline units in numbers,the war has allredy moved out of Normandy closer to the borders of the Third Reich.

Isn't the first Sim, that stretches history..some 190, Mc202, P40E, Ju87-G2, LaGG 3-37 come to mind.

That said, i would have prefered Ardennen map.

But it's widely known and mentioned by the ED Devs why it is like it is.

At least for me, there is just no going back. BoS just feels arcadish after having flown DCS

Strange, I fly mostly DCS , but do not get a arcadish feeling when I fly BOS 

Looking forward to the Viggen. Such an interesting aircraft and a great choice from LN to create it.

I've read somewhere on the ED Forum yesterday that it won't take too long until we can put our greedy hands on it. ;)

Yes, LN are trying to do things other way (particularly after issues with MiG-21) and instead of following ED pattern of 2-3 year old bets, they try to release almost a complete if not complete product. 

I remember there was supposed to be yesterday some Q&A session on reddit or somewhere about LN products (so not only Viggen but Tomcat and whatever else) and I wonder if anyone asked about F4U and Iwo Jima. Or WW2 modules they plan in general. There has been no update since many many months. 

My God, this Viggen is insane. If we could have also a Phantom by this Team.....

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro

Yeah I cringed a bit at that video. But there are a lot of DCS players who like to go through all that nonsense, and then proceed to crash on takeoff.

I am one of those, because I regard taking off straight from the parking lot and just avoiding the tower and other players for hurrying into a dogfight is not something I regard as sustaining a interest in a flightsim. This is what I call nonsense.

It is the gaming part of BOS making me avoid public servers.  I like the simulator stuff. It is many who do not, and these people tend to like BOS. When I fly Campaign I feel cheated if the aircraft already is started, in special the KA 50 and A 10 C. 

If you get used to it you can start those old birds up pretty quickly (my quickest P-51 startup took only 12s) since you don't have to worry about system failures or equipment wear. Opposed to that it takes at least 5 min to get the Mi-8 ready for takeoff and 10-15 to get all systems up and running.

For me there's no preferrence to be made between BoS and DCS. Does manual startup add greater difficulty? At the beginning, yes, but it's easy to master without studying operating manuals. Does it get repetetive over time? Yes, but that does again reflect reality where most pilots had to go threw the same procedures every day. Does it make sense in a combat flight sim? Yes, because while it adds little to aerial combat it allows the player to get more into his machine and rewards him not only by downing enemy aircraft but by opposing him with the difficulty to master all the systems (which for WW2 aircraft isn't an awefull lot).

Whoever does not like this can also use auto startup sequence which works the same as in BoS, so there's really no point telling one is better than the other.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

Does manual startup add greater difficulty? At the beginning, yes, but it's easy to master without studying operating manuals. Does it get repetetive over time? Yes, but that does again reflect reality where most pilots had to go threw the same procedures every day.

I have flown over 500 sorties in the KA 50, maybe 65 % of those with start up, repetitive yes, but the feeling of the real deal and a sense of being there is pretty unique. You got the option to do it BOS way with [WIN][HOME] if you prefer that. So it do not exclude anyone. The fact you have to go back to base and switch of engines for refuel and re arm, and maybe repair make it even better, same feature in COD.

For me the complexity add to the experience, the A 10 C got a longer wait until the radar work, but you can fly while waiting, but many sit and wait. I love every minute of it 

Isn't the first Sim, that stretches history..some 190, Mc202, P40E, Ju87-G2, LaGG 3-37 come to mind.

All present on the Eastern Front at the time of the battles depicted, not necessarily the theater. That's been explained by Jason more than once. 

All present on the Eastern Front at the time of the battles depicted, not necessarily the theater. That's been explained by Jason more than once. 

Wrong

Wrong

Look it up for yourself if you don't believe me.

Wrong

He's not wrong. They were all in service on the Eastern Front in the time frame represented in IL-2.

That said, i would have prefered Ardennen map.

But it's widely known and mentioned by the ED Devs why it is like it is.

FW 190A3 in service at Velikie Luki ...Map included with game, same timeframe as BoS

Mc 202      in service at BoS

P40E         in service at BoS

LaGG  3 (K37) in service at BoS

Stuka is a little different, however the aircraft were there and the 37mm weapon was in use, the aircraft in this configuration were being operationally tested by active units in this time frame, as it is just a gun that can be restricted by servers, this is a non issue anyway.

All of the above aircraft can be found with their documented Squadron history being used in the timeframe or at specific Battle with a just a little effort

perhaps if you do some research instead of just stating incorrect facts this will help your understanding

Cheers Dakpilot 

• Upvote 2

The Ju87 G-1 (G-2 was based on the D5 series ariframe) was not in service in Stalingrad. Instead one special unti reccieved very few Bk37 (by that time referred to as Rüstsatz) for standard issue D-3s for field trials under combat conditions. The first real combat debut with III./St.G 2 came in Kuban 1943.

Mc 202      in service at BoS

BoM plane, wasn't at BoM

P40E         in service at BoS

BoM plane, wasn't at BoM

LaGG  3 (K37) in service at BoS

Source?

Stuka is a little different,

5tuka explained it, so not in BoS either.

perhaps if you do some research instead of just stating incorrect facts this will help your understanding

I guess it's you, stating incorrect facts here... 

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

MC. 202 and P-40E are premium planes, so don't have to fit BoM specifically. However, both fit the overall timeline of BoS+BoM. BoS and BoM are not seperate sims, so I don't see why a BoM premium plane can't fit the BoS timeline.

However, it does pain me to see P-40s etc. flying over Moscow when flying the BoM campaign. Hopefully the new career won't shoehorn them in like that.

• Upvote 1