LuseKofte

DCS news

Soon i will get new pc and i was thinking if i should get DCS, is it worth it? Seems like it's multi mostly game. I was thinking about mig15 but then it has no campaign, no career, it's just multi dogfighting game? At least for planes.

Is it worth it only for Mi8? I saw there are 2 dlc campaigns for it. I am into SP only.

I was also thinking about su33 and other russian jets, but is it any worth for single player experience? Or you have nothing to do but flying around.

There is the Museum Relics campaign for the MiG15.

Haven't tried it yet but others seem to have enjoyed it.

Same here. I have waited this long I can waiting another week or two. Besides we got IL2 update coming :)

Katdog, do you have MSAA enabled? If so try disabling it, then go to the NVidia control panel, set anti-aliasing settings to override application settings and choose AA x8 or whichever suits you. Worked wonders for me at least :)

Ill give it whirl. No MSAA that I recall.  Im in VR though so i dont think control panel does anything. Hopefully 2.5 does something. fingers crossed as as still sucks

Whats strange for me is that the ground is flat until hit about 500m then the trees start popping in/up 1/4 mile out. It is unplayable in current format.  very strange. perhaps I mucked something up for VR, but Vegas runs buttery smooth and trees etc all look great

Set the tree visibility to >15600. That stopped the trees growing in front of the plane problem for me.

2.5 Open Beta the 31st, Stable Release around a week or two later.

For us peasants who got the modules through Steam, does this still hold true? At least the final release a couple of weeks after beta?

Not sure why they dont use the steam beta opt-in for those who want to try anything above 1.5.

Unlike IL2, DCS Steam is really a second class experience.

For us peasants who got the modules through Steam, does this still hold true? At least the final release a couple of weeks after beta?

Not sure why they dont use the steam beta opt-in for those who want to try anything above 1.5.

Unlike IL2, DCS Steam is really a second class experience.

2.5 will be released on Steam two weeks after the e-Shop Open Beta launch.

I finished Maple Flag's F-5E BFM campaign this week, so here's a mini-review for the curious.

1. Presentation: Thorough, very thorough. Too thorough for a BFM campaign with very limited routes - we're talking 20 pages of briefings including all the rules, routes and waypoints for a campaign where you always fly to and from target area via Red Air Corridor (APEX, FYTTR, JAYSN, GARTH, BELTED PEAK, INDIA, then reversed except FYTTR becomes STRYK and APEX becomes GASS PEAK). I tried to read through the documents but gave up halfway, it really packs little useful information and I'd strongly prefer a redacted version which singles out the pages important for the campaign at hand.

2. Immersion: Mixed feelings. The presentation does put you in there even if it tries too hard. Voice overs were not poor but felt too robotic, and a lot of audio files repeat themselves or slightly edited versions throughout the campaign, sometimes in the same mission. Foreign units say the same lines every mission, with the exact same timing of pronounciation, but each with a different strong accent which felt forced at times. A freer style in script-writing and recording would have gone a long way. The procedural nature of the campaign is wonderful, however. You fly strict routes, respect no-fly areas, check in and out with Blackjack (safety and airspace control) and Showtime (engagement monitoring), call fence in and out, respect limited engagement times, respect BINGO and hard deck, it's all there.

3. Action: Excellent, in my opinion. DCS has its flaws but there's no game out there that can bring the adrenaline of two fighters merging at mach 1 in the way DCS does. This campaign is extremely tough, and shows how skilled the Aggressor pilots are - they take a 1970s fighter and take on the newest, shiniest toys from around the world. You need to become very familiar with how the F-5 handles all across its envelope to succeed.

My results were unimpressive but not terrible. I was shot down twice (defensive against a Mirage 2000C in a downwards spiral, zooming against F-16C in a vertical head-on), and broke the hard deck twice (MiG-29A during rolling scissors, MiG-21bis while recovering from an engine flame out). On the other hand, I shot down five aircraft (F-5E, F-14A, F/A-18A, MiG-21bis, F-15C) and manoeuvred one F/A-18C into the hard deck. All other engagements were inconclusive bar a few, with endless scissors and both parties alternating between offensive and defensive at every turn. I was surprised however at how easy the F/A-18 was to dogfight against. In all engagements against it, after a few turns I was comfortably within the Hornet's rear hemisphere, trigger down.

Conclusion: It's almost very good, to a point where it's frustrating. If the audio and documentation got a makeover, this would be a fantastic campaign to practice BFM. As it is, the experience depends a lot on user expectations. If you want to fly the missions, navigate and fight, it's good. if you're looking for a campaign that delivers a complete experience, it's lacking.

Here's a screenshot after the very last mission - two dogfights against Israeli F-15C pilots, one kill for the Aggressors, almost had the second one down but Showtime called "terminate" before I could get him. Goodbye, Nellis!

uTxlEnV.png

• Upvote 3

Yep mine has already copied some files from Open Alpha and is now downloading the 2.5 files.

Finally, a unified versions once again!

Note: today's is for the Open Beta branch.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 2

It's almost very good, to a point where it's frustrating. If the audio and documentation got a makeover,

I always had a IL 2 campaign going in old IL 2, full difficulty and dead is dead. From 2002 to 2013 I kept trying to beat my record witch was 153 missions where I survived and crashlanded in friendly territory , or not too deep into enemy territory, if message came captured I started over again. Now I do the same with MI8 campaign, nothing else than 100% accomplised is accepted, this way a CTD is fatal :)

However aDynamic generated campaign would be awesome. 

A little tidbit regarding new Rift Touch Controllers capibillity in 2.5 from an ED team member:

Palm grip axis is used for selection of interaction hand (with green ray)
Index trigger used as left mouse button mouse
Thumbstick as mouse wheel, X as escape button, Y as centering, A as zoom

Specially for Oculus in Steam VR: new command line option -force_steam_VR added, it allows to use Steam API for Oculus

Known issues:
- GUI renders on front
- no controls mapping for VIVE

Edited by dburne

I dont have 1.5 installed, so I guess Im not updating today..waiting for installer tomorrow I guess

Nah...not for me anymore - ww2 props = IL2 Battle of...

I don't like modern air fighters and... I'm saving my $$$ for Flying Circus :-)

Ill revisit once it hits the main branch but itll take a lot to drag me out of BoX.

I love DCS but im married with kids to BoX.

We simmers are currently very spoiled.

• Upvote 1

Yep I love DCS for what it is as well, and BoX of course is my main game that gets most of my attention. 

But I do have fun with both for what they offer.

I got the 2.5 versions installed this afternoon finally.

Got 2.5 installed. Needs some tweaking to get the performance just right, but once you do it's gorgeous.

All the videos I've seen of earlier versions had horrible blocky, flashing shadows that were terribly distracting. Is that still the case?

There are still issues with plane shadows being half shown against the ground with the other half being placed under ground (I assume). That said, it looks really good overall. Performance on the Caucuses map was also drastically improved. In VR I was getting around 19-30 FPS on the deck over Batumi following the coast north in 1.5. On the same graphics settings (as best as I can tell) I'm now getting 60-70 fps doing the same flyby. Still not ideal, but a whole hell of a lot better. I have not seen under 45 fps in VR, which is of critical importance for VR users. This is with an 8700k and GTX 1080 TI though, so that just shows how horrible 1.5 was in VR.

For the people that have tested 2.5 : have you seen an performance increase at same setting (without VR )? I'm expecting a bit of a performance drop.

The performance over NTTR slightly increased while the performance of the reworked Caucasus Map is comparable to the Normandy Map. Thats what my experience was like.

Edited by Blooddawn1942

The performance over NTTR slightly increased while the performance of the reworked Caucasus Map is comparable to the Normandy Map. Thats what my experience was like.

Gotcha, thanks

NTTR is definitely the easiest on hardware, but that's what you'd expect given the lack of trees and buildings in most parts of it. Not a whole lot of stuff to display. ;)

As for the new Caucuses map, your results will depend on your GPU and CPU. With my system, I had been severely bottle necked by the single thread CPU performance of my i7-8700k. The 1080 TI would only run at around 30% capacity due to that at 1440p, which means a GTX 1050 TI = a GTX 1080 TI as far as DCS 1.5 is concerned. However, if you're using a GTX 770 2GB, it would likely be more balanced. In DCS 2.5 with the new Caucuses map, my system is better balanced. It will still hit 100% CPU usage on a single thread, but it tends to hit 100% GPU usage as well at the same time in a target range mission for both 1440p and VR. For me, the end result is roughly 3x the frame rate at 1440p (and in VR too) compared to DCS 1.5. However, if you're running an old graphics card with a good CPU, you might see performance descrease. It all depends on if you were previously CPU or GPU limited.

Edited by BeastyBaiter

Is 2.5 really out?

Damn I'd get a warbird but the damage models...planes that fly without wings and stuff, was that even solved?

I really don't know what to do i'm really happy with BoX and really don't mind spending 100$ there, but when i check out DCS I find it depressing that all you get for that same price is a ww2 map and the freaking objects to put on the map...

I might get started with DCS warbirds some day if they do like a masssive discount at full price it doesn't even seem close to being worth it imo.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy

Is 2.5 really out?

Damn I'd get a warbird but the damage models...planes that fly without wings and stuff, was that even solved?

I really don't know what to do i'm really happy with BoX and really don't mind spending 100$ there, but when i check out DCS I find it depressing that all you get for that same price is a ww2 map and the freaking objects to put on the map...

I might get started with DCS warbirds some day if they do like a masssive discount at full price it doesn't even seem close to being worth it imo.

The new damage model is still WIP and not yet included in 2.5.

Edit: removed was already posted.

Edited by dburne

DCS is certainly a great flight simulator if we wish to simulate modern air war, or simply fly modern jet fighters / trainers or helis...

I can actually get the same from X-Plane... well, sort of... because I don't have in most X-Plane add-ons the same degree of detail in modelling we get in DCS modules, but for me the ww2 props are indeed ( well and also the ww1 ) the most interesting aircraft.

Now, my feel of "flight" is maximized when I start IL2 and pick one of the fighters, bombers, even if I do not really enjoy the Combat / Bombing component of the game... But there's something really about the way IL-2 BoX conveys the "feel of flight", the overall physics modelling, and even some details of systems modelling even not having those clickable cockpits, the smoothness, the graphics, the MP experience, that I can't find in DCS World...

I'm mostly dedicated to IL-2 when it comes to fun, ww2 powerful prop fun... For soaring I use Condorsoaring... For IFR training still ELITE IFR... Sometimes I also use X-plane 11... but I know I'm always back to IL-2.. It grew in me like no other flightsim before :-) so, while I am glad to see all of this progress in DCS, I'm much more interested in the upcoming news from 1C / 777, the upcoming aircraft, the fine tuning that future updates will bring.

I can't also support more than one platform of the same type - I would like too, but it's too expensive... I had to choose and choice was, for the good mostly, and also for some "bad", IL-2 BoX...

Edited by jcomm-in-combat
  • Upvote 1