LuseKofte

DCS news

They do know how to make trailers  :) . It really gives me a must buy vibe!!

But i'm not gonna...

I know it will result in five evening's trying to figure it out, being stuck on the runway and then quit en going back to IL-2. Maybe if i had way way way more pc time, i would get into this. 

Grt M

They do know how to make trailers  :) . It really gives me a must buy vibe!!

But i'm not gonna...

I know it will result in five evening's trying to figure it out, being stuck on the runway and then quit en going back to IL-2. Maybe if i had way way way more pc time, i would get into this. 

Grt M

This is basically my problem. I just bought the Viggen and have little time to learn it, the F18 would take me forever. I'll still probably buy it though, because I'm a sucker for such a well built model, and I'm an idiot.    :lol:

This is basically my problem. I just bought the Viggen and have little time to learn it, the F18 would take me forever. I'll still probably buy it though, because I'm a sucker for such a well built model, and I'm an idiot.    :lol:

That sounds like charity  :biggrin:

Grt M

Kind of unsure again, I pre bought the Harrier and still not flown it, I guess I wont fly this either. I am exited for the Hind 24 we are getting myself

Great looking trailer!

In a way it also makes me more excited for Battle of Midway in the future, with the carrier ops.

I probably wont muster the will power to sit down and learn all the F18 systems. Im trying to learn with the Mirage but still not 100% there.

Is there a good tutorial about a general famuliarization with jet instruments? Like radar and the hud modes?

I dont mean a click by click tutorial, something at a higher level, more abstract walk through of the main jet concepts and principles.

Patience nor Your strength is, young padawan. :)

Btw. Mat said, that the EA is scheduled for the end of March.

yeah a bargain. Just have to wait a few years until all systems are released and working

True, I have no doubt this Hornet will be delivered half finished like so many other. But still I might bite on this after a week thinking on it. After all I buy everything from BOX series and do not use it, why should it be different with DCS 

I'm finding myself in two minds. I love the detail of the DCS sims, reminds me of the fun I had study simming in Falcon 4. However, I've generally found that once I've learnt the aircraft and the system I've generally been a bit bored. In Falcon 4 I could play with the amazing dynamic campaign, which although not perfect, certainly provided lots to do. The same hasn't really been true in DCS. So I've come to think of DCS as being similar to Prepar3d modules: they are there to learn the plane and the systems ... actually flying the thing in a combat scenario ... yeah maybe not so much.

DCS doesnt offer much single player content, but best thing in DCS is coop missions with friends. Longest mission i think was about 5 hours with 3 players flying A-10C's. 5 hours full of fun.

And yes, im definitely buying F/A-18C. I've waited it for years.

DCS doesnt offer much single player content, but best thing in DCS is coop missions with friends. Longest mission i think was about 5 hours with 3 players flying A-10C's. 5 hours full of fun.

And yes, im definitely buying F/A-18C. I've waited it for years.

I don´t know I have spent most DCS time making my own singleplayer fun..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImmS3VTi2UA

Somehow my attention span for flight sim videos is tremendously short. Everything seems to be 20+ minutes lately...

Came across this little gem today on Hoggit. A remake of aerial scenes in Les Chevaliers du Ciel.

Also, anyone remembers that crazy Mirage 2000D desert low-flying video? Now available virtually.

You aren't the only one. Never understood the appeal of watching someone else play a game for 20-30 minutes instead of just playing it myself (game reviews excluded).

Any news on the merged 2.5 release yet?  This is supposed to be a late January release I think.  

No word on the merge, yet.  I imagine if they keep their word for January, they will use every last minute of it.

Has anybody tried the Charnword or Epsom campaigns?  Recommendations?

Has anybody tried the Charnword or Epsom campaigns?  Recommendations?

Epsom campaign.

As a campaign, I like it very much. The whole design of its missions really bring the environment of Normandy to life.

With my experience of it, I would certainly recommend it - but at the same time my advice would be to wait. Specifically, wait for the new damage model, and wait for better and more effective antialiasing to be implemented in the engine. Especially the latter, because many missions involve spotting ground targets/objects of various offensive nature and right now this process is a pain in the ass.

This is specifically because of the way terrain/objects shadows are rendered, they appear as flickering outside of a certain range (this at the highest settings), and while they could be tremendously helpful in outlining an object standing on the ground, right now it's very very difficult, compared to BoX.

Other than this... if you like the Spitfire, I would say it's a must :good:

• Upvote 2

This merge will be monumental, and not much of an error will make it a nightmare , I also do think they wish to keep the timeframe, but no one earn anything if it all just a mess. I guess they simply havent tested all things yet, and are trying to do so

To a degree, that makes a lot of sense...  I spend most of my DCS with flying helicopters, just because the Hip and Huey are so much fun and quality modules. But i would like to make you aware that with DCS (as with most sims) there always some pretty sharp boundaries of what it doesn´t really simulate.. I don´t own the Ka50, so i can´t judge that one, but overall the combat aspect, especially online, for helos is less optimal. If you like the study sim aspect of your individual planes systemsmodeling, the Hip will please you, but if you looking for exiting combat in it.. well, the options are very limited and the best matched oponent is some light vehicle AI convoy. Ground interaction can also be sometimes weird (in term of collision physics for 3d objects like buildings) the game shows that it is made more for jet combat.. despite the Vegas map having some really nice VFR detailing. (ie: you see a ton of details like parked cars, but interacting with those details can be wonky)

Example of simplified collision planes for a watertower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIOixXkGrck

That beeing said, if you love helos, the FM of the huey and the systems on the hip will provide a ton of enjoyment, but mostly in a more civi transport role.

I am also keen on pointing out, that the module quality in DCS has some fluctuations. In my personal oppinon, the Gazelle is not as well made as the Huey... and in that regard I also like to point out that for me, it is always worth it to get some of the planes.. the L-39 is one of the modules that I find of high quality and that is also a lot of fun to fly, the Mig21 and F5 are also planes you will be unlikely to regret buying and are a good side dish to helos.

Hip is the best module ever. Looking forward to Hind. Belsimtek are super pro developers with first hand experience with said helicopters. Speaking of a ka50 i can tell you that at this point it becomes too complex for a home PC. It requires comfortable control devices and is a difficult thing to control because it is a 1 seater where you need to work for 2 people.

Edited by Max_Damage

My brother bought me the F86 Sabre for Christmas, can't wait to try it out when I'm home.  I really love the MiG15 so looking forward to flying this one too in the Korea 1952! server. 

I've been Googling a bit but if anybody has any recommendations for Sabre or MiG15 reading/viewing, would love to hear it.

The sabre that we have in DCS is actually not a very historical one. It is more of an equivalent to a mig17 and it never took part in the Korean war.

Compared to its older versions it has a more powerful engine AND a larger wing at the same time. It doesnt really struggle with climbing compared to the mig anymore. Nor does it struggle with the speed at high altutudes either. At this point it is easily the better plane.

Mig has one advantage: vertical looping at medium or low altitudes because it still has slightly better thrust to weight.

Generally speking however DCS is failing at key points including the performance. I cant imagine how are they going to release dcs 2.0 really. people dont have hardware for this game. Which doesnt prevent ED from charging full price for 2.0+ modules.

Edited by Max_Damage

On my end, performance on 2.2 is better than in 1.5.8.

I fly with all settings maxed out and 60+ FPS

As for news: 45min livestream on the new caucasus map

The sabre that we have in DCS is actually not a very historical one. It is more of an equivalent to a mig17 and it never took part in the Korean war.

Compared to its older versions it has a more powerful engine AND a larger wing at the same time. It doesnt really struggle with climbing compared to the mig anymore. Nor does it struggle with the speed at high altutudes either. At this point it is easily the better plane.

Mig has one advantage: vertical looping at medium or low altitudes because it still has slightly better thrust to weight.

Generally speking however DCS is failing at key points including the performance. I cant imagine how are they going to release dcs 2.0 really. people dont have hardware for this game. Which doesnt prevent ED from charging full price for 2.0+ modules.

By the end of the war, nearly all F-86F and E were (re)fitted with the 6-3 wing beginning from September 1952 when the first 50 sets were shipped to Korea. The F-86F-35 we have ingame is basically late Korea war, the only thing that is out of place is the LABS system for dropping nukes (which aren't ingame anyway)

Seeing how imminent the 2.5 release is, i hope it doesnt come out at the same time as 3.001 for BOK, or too many minds will be blown.

Terrifying days ahead. While playing Il-2 I'll be missing 2.5, while playing DCS I'll wish I was playing 3.001. Might clone myself.

Good times ahead for flight simmers. Waiting for both big updates patiently...

same here (but was kickstarted ww2). F5 is fun - clickable cockpit great. the p51 with clickable great to fly around in and learn

however, normandy practically unplayable in VR in current state - and the campaign has to out of the question  just guessing

esp when compared to the awesomeness that is BOS + Kuban

Try different settings in your video card and the systems settings. I fly the UH-1H Huey, the P-51D, and Fw-190D-9 in Normandy in VR and consistently have 30-45 FPS on high settings on a 2010 Mac Pro running Windows 7 in Boot Camp (Oculus always puts up a message that my computer doesn't meet its minimum requirements). I use a GTX-1080 GPU and have 32G RAM. You need to try different settings and see what works best. I don't own the two campaigns, so I can't speak to them.

Try different settings in your video card and the systems settings. I fly the UH-1H Huey, the P-51D, and Fw-190D-9 in Normandy in VR and consistently have 30-45 FPS on high settings on a 2010 Mac Pro running Windows 7 in Boot Camp (Oculus always puts up a message that my computer doesn't meet its minimum requirements). I use a GTX-1080 GPU and have 32G RAM. You need to try different settings and see what works best. I don't own the two campaigns, so I can't speak to them.

thanks, i may be being a little dramatic here by saying 'unplayable'. what I meant to say is that its very difficult to put-put around in normandy dipping to low fps such as yours at times. i will continue to revisit yes. thanks for the vid card settings idea. forgot to add max performance back in after an update.  although any other settings in vid card do nada for vr

Katdog, do you have MSAA enabled? If so try disabling it, then go to the NVidia control panel, set anti-aliasing settings to override application settings and choose AA x8 or whichever suits you. Worked wonders for me at least :)

Soon i will get new pc and i was thinking if i should get DCS, is it worth it? Seems like it's multi mostly game. I was thinking about mig15 but then it has no campaign, no career, it's just multi dogfighting game? At least for planes.

Is it worth it only for Mi8? I saw there are 2 dlc campaigns for it. I am into SP only.

I was also thinking about su33 and other russian jets, but is it any worth for single player experience? Or you have nothing to do but flying around.

Edited by InProgress

Just beta though and then we wil have to redownload release when it goes out of beta... Ehh.

I wonder if Burning Skies is going to switch.