LuseKofte

DCS news

It is truly a beauty, All though I will buy it I probably won´t fly any WW2 planes until there is infrastructure and devoted ground pounders and bombers in it. I enjoy all the KA 50 campaigns atm. Then I will go deep in the A 10 C complex world and learn it. Just so I have done it. I am pretty sad that the SU 25 modules are FC3 types and do not have the same complexity. I am very fond of the Russian cockpits

I'd wondered what happened to the Spitfire.  One of the kickstarter videos has Luthier quoting the creator of the aircraft, saying it will "be pretty much guaranteed it will take up to five months to create". 

Why is it that every time Luthier is brought up when ED doesn´t really have anything to do with him?

If it wasn´t for ED the kickstarter campaign would just be dead and no one would have gotten anything.

DCS World and the P51 and Dora were the basis for DCS: WWII.  Luthier could not have done anything if it wasn't for ED.

Edited by Stig

Why is it that every time Luthier is brought up when ED doesn´t really have anything to do with him?

If it wasn´t for ED the kickstarter campaign would just be dead and no one would have gotten anything.

The reason I mentioned Luthier in this case was that he had quoted YoYo, the fellow that is making the Spitfire.  Yoyo's original estimate of how long it would take has blown out to more than six times as long and I wondered what sort of setbacks he was experiencing.

The price of complexity, they do throw out a remarkable amount of updates, they work a lot with the fusion on 1,5 and 2.0 . There might be a bottleneck on the coding for WW2 simply because they chewed over too much.

They got a lot in their hands, and that is really my only criticism, For me they should take one task at the time. The WW2 scenario should have waited. All though I do have a interest in it, maybe one big reason for going into this game. But I seek comfort in modern airway now, witch I thought I never would

The reason I mentioned Luthier in this case was that he had quoted YoYo, the fellow that is making the Spitfire.  Yoyo's original estimate of how long it would take has blown out to more than six times as long and I wondered what sort of setbacks he was experiencing.

Probably because Luthier's project failed. So ED took over but without the extra finances that Luthier should have brought to the project.

The price of complexity, they do throw out a remarkable amount of updates, they work a lot with the fusion on 1,5 and 2.0 . There might be a bottleneck on the coding for WW2 simply because they chewed over too much.

They got a lot in their hands, and that is really my only criticism, For me they should take one task at the time. The WW2 scenario should have waited. All though I do have a interest in it, maybe one big reason for going into this game. But I seek comfort in modern airway now, witch I thought I never would

witch

SA_S5159_Black_Spider_Witch_Cost2015.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'd wondered what happened to the Spitfire.  One of the kickstarter videos has Luthier quoting the creator of the aircraft, saying it will "be pretty much guaranteed it will take up to five months to create". 

As long as they get the FM right and people do not complain about it for 6 months it is worth the wait.

Rather buy a finished game than a half finished one.

AND it is a Spitfire!

REALLY??? I was not showing off the skin on the vehicles nor the end product. This is VIP and it looking damn good. You guys are giving critique on the same bases you yourself objected to when BOS was in the heat. I probably will not fly WW2 stuff in DCS for many years to come, And I am not a P 51 ,Bf109 , FW 190  and Spitfire fan in simulation purposes. They simply give me nothing, except for a little ride now and then in offline mode.

I simply credit the 3D work done here, not how they choose to color it, neither the light, a little sweet FX fix the light issue. I did not start this for a DCS vs BOS debate.

And where do you see the mud? I see a non glossy skin myself with no effect for being metal

Really nice work and if the FM is dead on they will be ahead of all other flight sims.

The price of complexity, they do throw out a remarkable amount of updates, they work a lot with the fusion on 1,5 and 2.0.

That to me is the problem with DCS, and which is why I just can't get into it right now. I bought the P-51 and was mildly impressed, but since then I've been left with evaluating and analyzing update after update being told that the promised land was right around the corner. Two years ago I was told, the VEAO was the saving grace of the WW2 modules and would have a handful of WW2 planes ready within 12 months (still waiting for the first one). Now we're supposed to get excited about some stationary models of a plane that was due 3 years ago, when we know that the 3D modelling work is the easy part of making these planes.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound all dismissive. I really, really want to be excited. The external model and the cockpit shots of the Spit look amazing. I just can't trust anything until we can actually get our hands on it. I don't want updates, I want actual products to be released.

I'm still hoping to jump the DCS bandwagon at some point, but so far, it's just too little and way too slow.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 1

The DCS Spit .... any cockpit WIP shots.

If some (WiP) cockpit shots from 2015 help:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2569738&postcount=872

Looks good, although with better 3D don't have that... "CloD look". :)

Here a good Spitfire war era color picture, made by LIFE in Kodacolor, so is not these common "colorized photos",  think made in Phoney War days.

So mechanics have plenty of time to "shine" the plane, and he are operating in grass field.

Don't looks that this RAF cadet's can "brush their hair" using plane surfaces as mirror. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/Gx3VJCY.jpg

https://qmfashion.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/cfixed1.jpg

The aluminum surface of this P-51B (4:17) need a bit of wax. :)

And that poor shape Spit's  at 5:50 a full cleanup/wax. 

And here a certainly waxed Spit, the PRU-Blue recon. ;)

Looks that his surface shine, but is not reflective, maybe due England weather in this day.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

@ Finkern, I know what you mean, and I think the most hardcore fan of DCS agree with you, anyway I do. I bought the modules for the same reason I buy all BOS expansions . Support the genre, and there is always something I like.

And now years after I bought KA 50 I find that chopper a blast to fly, steep learning curve . So to me this WW 2 only lead me into something I really appreciate, Modern airwar , and I thought I hated it.

This is the problem with BOS , only in liking dogfight you have a potential to improve, other than that everything is routine 

That to me is the problem with DCS, and which is why I just can't get into it right now. I bought the P-51 and was mildly impressed, but since then I've been left with evaluating and analyzing update after update being told that the promised land was right around the corner. Two years ago I was told, the VEAO was the saving grace of the WW2 modules and would have a handful of WW2 planes ready within 12 months (still waiting for the first one). Now we're supposed to get excited about some stationary models of a plane that was due 3 years ago, when we know that the 3D modelling work is the easy part of making these planes.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound all dismissive. I really, really want to be excited. The external model and the cockpit shots of the Spit look amazing. I just can't trust anything until we can actually get our hands on it. I don't want updates, I want actual products to be released.

I'm still hoping to jump the DCS bandwagon at some point, but so far, it's just too little and way too slow.

I hear you Fink. However If you take it as study sim and not something you will massively enjoy blasting enemies in online battle - its a great joy. The cockpits are superb and are in many ways advanced compared to other stuff. Flight model is also superb, DM is a bit off, at least visually...I like it. Bigger problem for me is the lack of time to "deal" with so many sims. Currently Im struggling to play ARMA 3 and BOS/BOM because all I have is 1-2 h of night time before I go to sleep (after work tiredness)....

Why is it that every time Luthier is brought up when ED doesn´t really have anything to do with him? If it wasn´t for ED the kickstarter campaign would just be dead and no one would have gotten anything.

What do you mean that ED doesn't have anything to do with him? I agree that if it wasn't for ED, the kickstarter campaign would have probably been dead from the beginning - and that means that ED has something to do with Luthier's kickstarter campaign. If there wasn't the backing from ED and using DCS brand for advertising, I doubt that there would have been enough people to back the kickstarter project after the CloD experience. Also ED took over the WIP from Luthier's team, so can't really say that ED has nothing to do with him or his campaign.

I hear you Fink. However If you take it as study sim and not something you will massively enjoy blasting enemies in online battle - its a great joy. The cockpits are superb and are in many ways advanced compared to other stuff. Flight model is also superb, DM is a bit off, at least visually...I like it. Bigger problem for me is the lack of time to "deal" with so many sims. Currently Im struggling to play ARMA 3 and BOS/BOM because all I have is 1-2 h of night time before I go to sleep (after work tiredness)....

I have the same issue :P That's the reason why I tolk a hiatus from flight sims for a few months. To get time to play some of the games I never got around to.

I get the point about DCS being a study sim, it just doesn't have much appeal for me. I'm much more into historical reenactment, and I can live with the simulation being (a little) simplified in exchange for having the anount of content to actually portray historical battles.

If you want a study sim, it doesn't really matter much how much matching historical content you have.

Now all they need is DCS:A-26B INVADER and you will never see me again.

That is the plain truth, If they ever got a devoted complex prop ground pounder I would not have time flying here, I would do with this

8ccad44ea9d8dad3f8a58e90929f87e4.jpg

But then they need to focus on a theatre for it, I wish they just could have finished one era , not super modern and then 60´s . Give us a complete WW2, or Vietnam with maps and objects to blow up. There is no sense flying around in a prop with the sky ful of eagles and SU 27 and heat seekers 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

There will be an AT-27 from RAZBAM though, turboprop glory in one of its finest designs. After that they might put together an A-29 which is even better, but just having the good old Tucano around will be nice whenever it's done :)

A very keen modder called archimaede is currently working on a flyable Skyraider with clickable cockpit for DCS. Last time I heared he said the project was still making progress.

bM5Fw2a.jpg

• Upvote 1

Some RAZBAM pics :)

AT-27 Tucano. I love this bird. I can remember them flying since I was a kid, and I've sat in the cockpit enough times as well. It just... looks good!

3gRg9ci.jpg

13567175_1046787465407891_16989005537514

13102880_1005360716217233_42675873661622

Mirage IIICJ

14469502_1113888845364419_16241563706114

What do you mean that ED doesn't have anything to do with him?

I just meant that he isn´t involved in the development anymore - and therefor I just wondered why he is brought up so often when it comes to discussions about releasing modules or other WWII related stuff in DCS.

Depends on the variant. If it's an early one, very little is needed, but then you get a product that's too similar to the IIICJ. If it's a later one, then there is a lot of work involved in the systems part.

Regarding the long dev cycles in DCS; I hope that once 2.5 is released they can streamline the production for faster output. Sure, the Spit took way too long (from consumer perspective), but my hope is that they figure out how to produce faster (it's also strongly in their interest, since the faster they produce the bigger the income). ED surely knows about this.

Something interesting I've read (in the deeps of the ED forums a while ago) is that the first model of an aircraft takes much longer than the following ones, for example, once they have the DB605 proper modeled it's far easier to make planes that had that particular engine or a similar one (the Bf G series for example). So this also gives hope.

That's why it is so necessary to get a proper Pratt&Whitney right soon for to kick off allied plane production.

I don't have any clues about the Spits in general, but hopes are that once they got the Merlin (?) right they can produce faster other variants.

The fact that the P40 takes so long even though there already is a P51 with a similar engine (?) has something to do with that particular dev team, the cockpit textures and god only knows what else. I don't think that is normal procedure however. They all have to learn their craft from scratch, but once they know how to do it they will be faster.

So onece 2.5 is done, crank up that production! I'm sure ED knows about the too long dev cycles and That however is how it should work in my unicorn butterfly world... Time will tell I guess. But potential is vast!

Well said, Sputnik. Just for the record, they have a Merlin done with the P-51D and TF-51 :)

To me the most impressive show of progress from DCS so far has been this comparison between 1.5 and 2.5. It's night and day, and just a sign of things to come. I like DCS for the modern stuff the most of course, but just the fact that we live in a time where two simulators are providing entertainment at such a high level makes me happy.

9oXxXn2.jpg

I'm holding off on DCS until the 2.5 merger, end of this year. But yes really looking forward to it as well.

I have the impression DCS is just a byproduct for ED and not what pays their salaries. So I don't have high expectations regarding development times.

I have the impression DCS is just a byproduct for ED and not what pays their salaries. So I don't have high expectations regarding development times.

Depression setting in... It is what it is.

You beat me, Sokol1.

I can't get enough of ED's 3D models... :blush:

And the lighting looks promising. I really really really hope that Normandy will make it by the end of the year.

Sokol1: Is that the Normandy map?

At last, something that appears to be actually flying in-game. That I can get excited about!  :)

From the shot, it looks like there is no wind in this scenario, or are projectiles not affected by wind in DCS?

Guest deleted@30725

WW2 was a failed kickstarter so it comes to pass now.

My favorite module was Huey, but when I played there was only one server that let me do anything remotely interesting with it that only ran once or twice a week if I was lucky to catch it populated.

A slight shame that all their ww2 planes are from different eras of ww2. It's why I like bos because the planes face their equals as the real battle.

Edited by deleted@30725

REALLY??? I was not showing off the skin on the vehicles nor the end product. This is VIP and it looking damn good. You guys are giving critique on the same bases you yourself objected to when BOS was in the heat. I probably will not fly WW2 stuff in DCS for many years to come, And I am not a P 51 ,Bf109 , FW 190  and Spitfire fan in simulation purposes. They simply give me nothing, except for a little ride now and then in offline mode.

I simply credit the 3D work done here, not how they choose to color it, neither the light, a little sweet FX fix the light issue. I did not start this for a DCS vs BOS debate.

And where do you see the mud? I see a non glossy skin myself with no effect for being metal

Fully agree. There your see absolutely stunning screens which show million times better graphics then BoS has. Then people come for some dubious reasons and critizise it. If this standard would be used for BoS you could throw it in the towels. With the crappy ground and object graphics. Seems some people really have a hard time granting any credit to other Sims then their favourite.

• Upvote 1

I definitely have to give it to them with those vehicles. They are way more detailed models than we have here in BoX. I am hoping that once we get DX11 here they can improve on things like this and the ground textures, lighting and such. I know it made a lot of improvement possible in DCS. My problem with DCS is the same as many others. They have so many different things in development at the same time that they are all doomed to be WIP for eternity. I'll probably be dead and have to leave all my modules to my son in my will... 

Still, I hope (and I'm sure they are) our dev team is keeping tabs on these other guys and see the awesome ground vehicles. Their train looks better than our train! :)

A slight shame that all their ww2 planes are from different eras of ww2. It's why I like bos because the planes face their equals as the real battle.

Not really, all dcs ww2 planes are 44-45 models so they faced each other in real battle.

Like 109 K-4 faced Spitfire IX (with 1943 engine settings) over Normandy in June 1944 ? It takes more to build immersive scenario. I really appreciate and adore their creations, especially in terms of graphics and level of detail but they arent particularly good with choices of aircraft participating nor in focusing on one goal at a time.  

• Upvote 2

The new ASW feature just posted yesterday in oculus drivers really makes an improvement for the blurriness, where before I was getting seasickness after 20 minutes, yesterday I spent 60 minutes and felt perfect! Should be good for Bos as well.