LuseKofte

DCS news

4 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

[...] For my part, I'm not much of a campaign flyer. I'm all about the sandbox aspect. Just fly and see what happens. [...]

You've tried the Through The Inferno missions before?  There is one for WWII on the Normandy map.

Available for single player and co-op use; you can spawn various types of missions and air threats on the fly.  Great for the sandbox approach without having to go into the mission editor.

• Upvote 1

DCS has a sale on at their site, but haven't seen it on Steam yet. Don't they always do both?

Edit: Just saw a post saying the Steam sale will be around Feb 12. Don't know if that's accurate, but there it is.

Edited by CanadaOne

On 2/2/2019 at 2:53 AM, CanadaOne said:

DCS has a sale on at their site, but haven't seen it on Steam yet. Don't they always do both?

I have read that Steam Lunar sale starts today, in 2:30 hours from now, at 19:00 CET

Last year, during the Steam Lunar Sale (15-19Feb) there were also sales on IL-2 products, and the sale lasted some more days on the IL-2 shop

• Upvote 1

Maybe it will be there when I finish work.

I might grab a plane.

3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I might grab a plane.

Just one ? Many one now on sale, for DCS and IL-2 ... I want them all !!!! 😍

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, =SFF=_cercataa said:

Just one ? Many one now on sale, for DCS and IL-2 ... I want them all !!!! 😍

If you could pick a few leaves off your money tree for me... :biggrin:

Yeah I finally caved and bought BS2. Still think it's pretty gay I had BS1 and had to buy it again to work in DCSW.

Just bought 'The Big Show'... also have the Epsom campaign as well.

I'll have to get round to playing these now I guess  :biggrin:

I'm stuck, I just want one plane but it's hard to decide. Even considering the WWII assets package.

I could hunt Panzers in my P-51 as they rampage through Las Vegas. :biggrin:

6 hours ago, Danziger said:

Yeah I finally caved and bought BS2. Still think it's pretty gay I had BS1 and had to buy it again to work in DCSW.

It's worth it, I did the same quite some time ago.

Regarding the original Black Shark, I think it's pretty ridiculous that some people believe that something they bought 10 years ago is going to work forever, and that spending 60 bucks back in 2009 means you'll never have to spend another dime.

2 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

Regarding the original Black Shark, I think it's pretty ridiculous that some people believe that something they bought 10 years ago is going to work forever, and that spending 60 bucks back in 2009 means you'll never have to spend another dime.

Yeah but were talking DCS here. Every other module is in a perpetual unfinished state forever changing, goalposts moving, nobody is asked to pay for changes/improvements to the A-10C or any other module every time a new patch is introduced. My P-51 worked in 1 point whatever I wasn't asked to pay for an upgrade to 2 point whatever. 

Which this

14 hours ago, Danziger said:

pretty much boils down to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was looking at the Mig-21, and the Fw-190, thought about the Harrier...

...ended up buying Flying Circus. :cool:

When DCS does the Bronco, I'm in.

This Friday they moved DCS 2.5 from Beta to a "Stable Release" which includes a big list of improvements ( https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/2019-02-08_ReleaseUp ).

I am especially intrigued by the Viggen, I like its ruggedness and versatility, its design philosophy reminds me of a WW2 aircraft.

Can anybody confirm if the new DCS version is a marked improvement ?

Bought the Gazelle in the sale. My first landing didn't go entirely as planned. :(

Screen-190213-151808.png

Once I'd sorted out the trim, put a bit of curve on the cyclic, figured out what the piece of string was for, and then taken a look at Chuck's guide*, it went a lot better. Flies very differently to the Huey, due to the stability augmentation system, and actually seems quite tame.  Weapons systems look complex though.

* Fly first and read the manual later, my motto for maximum excitement. For extra fun, find out what switches do by operating them in flight. Not recommended for big red handles, or anything with yellow diagonal stripes.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/13/2019 at 8:56 PM, AndyJWest said:

Bought the Gazelle in the sale. My first landing didn't go entirely as planned. :(

Screen-190213-151808.png

Once I'd sorted out the trim, put a bit of curve on the cyclic, figured out what the piece of string was for, and then taken a look at Chuck's guide*, it went a lot better. Flies very differently to the Huey, due to the stability augmentation system, and actually seems quite tame.  Weapons systems look complex though.

* Fly first and read the manual later, my motto for maximum excitement. For extra fun, find out what switches do by operating them in flight. Not recommended for big red handles, or anything with yellow diagonal stripes.

The hardest thing you will learn in the gazelle is how to get it into a stable hover! Learning the right seat weapons systems is a breeze. The HOT weapon system on the left is a little more difficult but mainly because it requires a stable hover! It did take me a while to learn that module to the point where I could participate in the campaign though, as navigation is also a factor. Worth learning though!

2 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

The hardest thing you will learn in the gazelle is how to get it into a stable hover! 

Yeah, it seems a bit more tricky to hover than the Huey. Or maybe I just need more practice. I get the impression that the tendency to move bodily sideways with changes in yaw input is more pronounced, and if you aren't careful, you can end up overcorrecting this, which can get ugly quickly. I think that was what went wrong with my first landing.

I fly EuroCopter products in real life and find the Huey credible. The EC120 and AStar are a little twitchy and I've never flown a real Huey. That said, I'm pretty sceptical the Gazelle flys that way in real life. It's worse than our original A3, if you know what I mean. If it does, I'd want nothing to do with it and there are certainly better platforms for the modern military.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
fat fingered AC type

I never really got on with the Black Shark, since I always seemed to be fighting the trimmer system. It probably works better with force feedback.

Anybody in the know about that Modern Air Combat title? There was a trailer teaser a long time ago saying release date was autumn 2018. Did someone forget to release it?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Danziger said:

Anybody in the know about that Modern Air Combat title? There was a trailer teaser a long time ago saying release date was autumn 2018. Did someone forget to release it?

Information on this has been difficult to find.  Just the original announcement, and that's pretty much it.

7 hours ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Information on this has been difficult to find.  Just the original announcement, and that's pretty much it.

Maybe someone realised what a mystifyingly pointless idea it was to try to sell existing DCS aircraft twice, minus their unique selling point, and pulled it. 

I hope so, anyway. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/23/2019 at 1:49 AM, Royal_Flight said:

Maybe someone realised what a mystifyingly pointless idea it was to try to sell existing DCS aircraft twice, minus their unique selling point, and pulled it. 

This. Instead of that they should have chosen some modern jets that they know they can't fully make as full fidelity modules but only as FC3 quality modules. Would sell equally well between newcomers and people who already fly in DCS.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:49 AM, Royal_Flight said:

I hope so, anyway. 

Aw man not this again! If they were really trying to sell it twice, they would be targeting the customers that have already paid for it once, which obviously isn't the case. Do we really need to state for the millionth time why, and for what reason they wanted to make it?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Aw man not this again! If they were really trying to sell it twice, they would be targeting the customers that have already paid for it once, which obviously isn't the case. Do we really need to state for the millionth time why, and for what reason they wanted to make it?

Yes you do.

If they put in a FC level AH-64, AH-1, a frikin Phantom they would sell many many more modules than stripping down existing modules. Not only would they capture new customers but existing ones, hell I have FC but if there was an Apache in MAC I would seriously consider it. Lets be honest a FC mig 21 is not going to sell as well as a FC apache. Even the most adamant ED supporter can agree with that.

I actually don't support  paying $60 to $90 per plane for a glorified startup sequence and no real setting or coherent plane set, training module, or campaign.  I was looking forward to a unified control setup with FC level fidelity that would help to transition to the more in depth modules.  This was the main reason I was interested in the title.  

36 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

I actually don't support  paying $60 to $90 per plane for a glorified startup sequence and no real setting or coherent plane set, training module, or campaign.  I was looking forward to a unified control setup with FC level fidelity that would help to transition to the more in depth modules.  This was the main reason I was interested in the title.  

Understand completely. 

I'm looking forward to purchasing MAC....and hoping it actually happens.  As to the time scale?  Well it is DCS so it could be anytime from here to er,  eternity:)

2 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

That’s part of the issue, they don’t seem to know who they are targeting. 

A big part part of the DCS appeal is the high-fidelity systems modelling, and the modern jets. 

If you’re interested in learning and using the avionics and systems then MAC offers you nothing, whether you’re an existing customer or not.

If you like modern jet aircraft and don’t mind the depth of systems or the learning curve, then MAC is just a simplified version of what’s already on sale. 

If clickpits are a deal-breaker there’s still FC3.

If you’re not a current DCS customer then the above points apply in reverse:

- if you aren’t interested in systems modelling then DCS may not be on your radar, or if it is it probably doesn’t appeal;

- if you aren’t interested in the plane set then you likely don’t care;

- if clickpits are a deal-breaker there’s still FC3.

ED then still has the problem of how to advertise this to new customers without coming across like they’ve taken the main aspect of their sim and arbitrarily removed it.

We know DCS’s biggest problem is incoherence - nothing fits together properly in any combination that makes the slightest bit of sense. Instead of doing anything at all to combat that, with MAC they’re now burning development time and effort in extending that incoherence into another dimension - now not only do aircraft not fit into each other’s locations or timelines, but they now also don’t even match in terms of systems modelling, which is reaching for a meta-level of random confusion, at least from a platform development perspective. 

DCS is crying out for aircraft that work together on a map where they have a plausible reason to be there.

I don’t imagine any great number of people have been clamouring for a version of DCS with fewer options - so who is the target audience supposed to be?

The ironic thing is, War Thunder has already started putting in jets with guided missiles, and given ED’s notoriously glacial pace of development there’s a chance that, by the time ED have taken a handful of interesting modules and stripped out the interactivity, War Thunder will have beaten them to it. 

/rant. I say this as someone who enjoys DCS - it’s just frustrating when it could be much better with a bit more thought. 

On 2/22/2019 at 5:53 PM, Danziger said:

It now seems it's gonna be a standalone game, instead of module like FC3.

The latest news is an interview with PC Pilot

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=228251&highlight=MAC

BTW, I'm quite new to DCS, and before starting I though the same about Nevada, but now I'm excited about making some red flag or aggresors campaigns, like real pilots do before going to the battlefront

On 2/25/2019 at 12:01 AM, Royal_Flight said:

/rant. I say this as someone who enjoys DCS - it’s just frustrating when it could be much better with a bit more thought. 

If you look at the previous article, you'll see they are spliting it in 2 layers:

• The simulation engine
  • UI Layer
    • DCS: Access to everything
    • MAC: Everything simplified

If they do it well, it could bring a lot money from people looking for arcade gamming, but scared to play DCS.

In fact, you can already make DCS arcade, not only with FC3, if you look at the options: Cheat Controls, Simplified flight model, Game Avionics Mode, etc ...

Edited by =SFF=_cercataa
  • Upvote 1

There is some new "eagerly awaited new Eagle Dynamics feature" 

coming in an update tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what it is.

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Cows?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, dburne said:

With so many unfinished and unrealized things on the "eagerly anticipated" list, dangling carrots in front of an expectant and excitable crowd is a dangerous enterprise. As is dropping anything too big immediately before a weekend.

giphy.gif