Jump to content
LuseKofte

DCS news

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 307_Banzai said:

 

 

5 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Some of these aircraft are already in flaming cliffs and others are fully modeled modules already. Personally I don't see much point in buying this when I already have most of these aircraft already.

 

Whats the benefit?

Why do people keep saying thisi!? Over at Sim Hq the same conversation occured. "Why would I want this?" D'uh! You wouldn't if you already own the planes. It isn't aimed at you. You the only one buying flight sims? It's aimed at all the people who haven't bought into the ED stuff yet. Maybe because it's too expensive, or seems a bit daunting to the average gamer. I also think it's a good idea. And it may tempt someone to try out one the higher fidelity models. 

Edited by Poochnboo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Poochnboo said:

 

Why do people keep saying thisi!? Over at Sim Hq the same conversation occured. "Why would I want this?" D'uh! You wouldn't if you already own the planes. It isn't aimed at you. You the only one buying flight sims? It's aimed at all the people who haven't bought into the ED stuff yet. Maybe because it's too expensive, or seems a bit daunting to the average gamer. I also think it's a good idea. And it may tempt someone to try out one the higher fidelity models. 

Yes but why not leave the flaming cliff aircraft out and create brand new aircraft that we haven't seen before? I might still buy it because I kinda like the idea of not having to learn everything, and there are some aircraft that I don't have.

 

Leave out the FC birds and replace them with something brand new, that way it's something for everyone to buy and not jts new players. Just my 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

Yeah, I had a feeling that I might have misunderstood that. As far as the differences go, I think the DCS version makes me feel as though I am really IN that airplane. The BOX Spits are good too, and I have fun with those. But the DCS Mark 9 makes me feel like a Spitfire pilot. I think that DCS, in general, does a good job with that. I can almost kid myself into believing that I would actually have been a damn good Spitfire pilot in real life! When I fly it, I try to use as much of the clickable items as I can. I don't use my keyboard to open and close the canopy, for instance. I like to reach back and grab it and slide it closed with the mouse. Just those little things that make me feel as though I'm really in it. 

The Spitfire was, and is, a very exciting airplane. As a real life pilot myself, it's the one I would pick if you gave me a chance to fly one of the great airplanes in history.

 

Oh cool are you a pilot for commercial planes, or is it more of a hobby? Would love to get the chance to fly a real plane, as a to do on my bucket list, but I'm guessing it would be a long and expensive road?

 

Agree fully with what you've said about the spit. Especially in VR with a jetseat, I have yet to try a more convincing WW2 plane than the DCS spitfire. Though all of the DCS modules are highly convincing the spit is really something special. One day VR will get gloves with haptic feedback, and the experience will be complete for me!

 

I have trouble getting kills with German boom and zoom planes, though I do love flying those planes for the weaponry and historical romanticism (and cause they are great planes of course), but if my life depended on it, I would choose the spitfire everytime!

 

With German planes there are times when no matter what you do, you are toast, but with the spit, I always feel theres always a chance to survive with my life against the German birds, and very often this proves to be the case!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolf, every time a real pilot shoots at a plane he doesn't always shoot it down. Shooting down would be the exception, not the rule.

 

Look for a 'fly day' where passengers are taken up. The pilot might let you hold the control column.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MiloMorai said:

Wolf, every time a real pilot shoots at a plane he doesn't always shoot it down. Shooting down would be the exception, not the rule.

 

Look for a 'fly day' where passengers are taken up. The pilot might let you hold the control column.

This is very true. That's all Hollywood baloney. Even all of that wild, all over the sky, dogfighting was rare. Fighter pilots try to avoid that if possible. Check your tail, get behind him unseen, pull the trigger, get out!

 

1 hour ago, Wolf8312 said:

Oh cool are you a pilot for commercial planes, or is it more of a hobby? Would love to get the chance to fly a real plane, as a to do on my bucket list, but I'm guessing it would be a long and expensive road?

And it was just a hobby for me. A VERY expensive hobby. I've owned two airplanes. An antique. A 1946 ERCOUPE. And a homebuilt. A little two seater airbatic airplane called a SONEX. It was a fun little taildragger. Flew like a little fighter plane. Nice. I sold the SONEX years ago and haven't flown a real airplane since. 

4 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Yes but why not leave the flaming cliff aircraft out and create brand new aircraft that we haven't seen before?

But Legion, again you're looking at this through the eyes of someone who owns them already. It's a nice package for someone who has been wanting to get into flying something more realistic than World of Warplanes type of models. But hard enough to make them interesting and at least a little challenging. I'm hoping it does well, because that could give them the incentive to put more of these types of packages together and maybe we will see airplanes that they haven't done yet. Imagine an F4 Phantom, or an F16. Maybe some 1960's vintage stuff like the F100 and F8 Crusader. I'd jump on it!

I think they're trying to make their stuff more accessible. This month they're offering all of the helicoptors for the price of one. You get four choppers for 69 dollars during the month of September. Good deal if you've been looking to fly helos.

Edited by Poochnboo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

 

Oh cool are you a pilot for commercial planes, or is it more of a hobby? Would love to get the chance to fly a real plane, as a to do on my bucket list, but I'm guessing it would be a long and expensive road?

 

 

Off topic but if you have a local gliding club check them out for a temporary membership. Time expensive but much cheaper than powered. And there's nothing like thermalling with 7-8 other aircraft to make you appreciate how terrifying a dogfight would have been...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hoots said:

Off topic but if you have a local gliding club check them out for a temporary membership. Time expensive but much cheaper than powered. And there's nothing like thermalling with 7-8 other aircraft to make you appreciate how terrifying a dogfight would have been...

Sailplanes are some of the most fun flying there is. I would recommend to EVERY powered airplane pilot to learn how to fly a glider. It will make you a better pilot. I learned on old boxy looking, metal winged, gliders back in the seventies. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm... I'm getting CTDs when I load the Nevada or Persian Gulf maps every time since the new update a few days back. Do any of y'all know if this is a thing?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CanadaOne said:

Hmmm... I'm getting CTDs when I load the Nevada or Persian Gulf maps every time since the new update a few days back. Do any of y'all know if this is a thing?

 

Thanks.

 

This last update to the Open Beta has a few glaring issues. I was getting crashes whilst trying to make changes to my controller setup in VR.  There are several Rift users reporting some pretty big issues performance wise. My performance was ok, but seemed to drop a little after today's hotfix, but still ok for me - not like I am seeing many others suffering through.

 

In your case, I would first probably try a repair of DCS.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dburne said:

 

This last update to the Open Beta has a few glaring issues. I was getting crashes whilst trying to make changes to my controller setup in VR.  There are several Rift users reporting some pretty big issues performance wise. My performance was ok, but seemed to drop a little after today's hotfix, but still ok for me - not like I am seeing many others suffering through.

 

In your case, I would first probably try a repair of DCS.

 

And how, if I may ask, does a bear of very little brain do that? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

 

And how, if I may ask, does a bear of very little brain do that? :unsure:

 

There is a command line for doing that, not sure of the exact nomenclature if you search the forums I am sure you will find it.

 

I use the DCS GUI Utility by SkateZilla. I need a user friendly point and click thing for my aging brain.

;)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dburne said:

 

There is a command line for doing that, not sure of the exact nomenclature if you search the forums I am sure you will find it.

 

I use the DCS GUI Utility by SkateZilla. I need a user friendly point and click thing for my aging brain.

;)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

 

 

Oh yeah, I think you showed that to me a few months back. Doesn't work for Steam though. I guess/hope there will be a hotfix or something soon.

 

Thanks as always, you've helped me out a few DCS jams and I appreciate it. :drinks:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Doesn't work for Steam though.

You can repair you Steam games this way. Go to your game menu and right click on the game. Scroll down to properties. Then click on Local Files. Then go down to "Verify Integrity Of Game." Click on that. Usually works for me. I've had to use it twice after messing up mod installations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

You can repair you Steam games this way. Go to your game menu and right click on the game. Scroll down to properties. Then click on Local Files. Then go down to "Verify Integrity Of Game." Click on that. Usually works for me. I've had to use it twice after messing up mod installations.

 

 

Thanks for that, but I'm afraid it didn't work. Still CTDs every time loading the Nevada and Persia Gulf maps.

 

I looked in the DCS forums and didn't see anything, but I'll keep looking.

 

Thanks again. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Awesome. Thanks. :drinks:

 

That means there will probably be a hotfix at one point.

I only have the Nevada Map but I can load it no problem. Tried it with the p51 and Huey. Didn't fly either, just spawned in on a quick mission. Dunno if you can do this and its something else though.

 

What I do after every update (regardless of what ED say is in it) is delete the fxo and metashader2 files from my C/User/MYNAME/saved games/DCS beta folder.  

 

Have you tried that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been real fortunate, have not really had the issues so many others have had ( mainly in VR) since this week's update to the Open Beta. Have spent several hours flying over Normandy in the Spit last couple of days. Performing pretty decently for me.

Also spent a little time with the F/A 18-C in the Persian Gulf off the carrier, great fun.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to load the maps a few times and then got CTDs after that. The new sandstorm effect is cool off you get the lighting right.

 

Still need another 8GB of RAM for DCS though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully they get the license to make it flyable. One of my favorite jet aircraft of all time.

 

A-6E_1.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im eager to see if the F14 models lives up to the hype of the images shown - no reason why it wouldn't. Oddly its the shot of the carrier deck that thrilled me the most but the A6 came a very close second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A6 is quite interesting indeed. Not very interested in the F14 though. It's an awesome iconic plane that should definitely be in DCS. I just don't have a personal interest in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Hopefully they get the license to make it flyable. One of my favorite jet aircraft of all time.

 

A-6E_1.jpg

 

Yes! I’m a fan of that one!

 

*Pops The flight of the intruder in the DVD player*

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Hopefully they get the license to make it flyable. One of my favorite jet aircraft of all time.

 

A-6E_1.jpg

That is interesting. I may even buy that. Nothing else on the horizon has my interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a docu about when the intruder was phased out in favor for the F 18. A lot of crews was deemed too old for conversion to the hornet. Being part of the service for so long and then get dumped was a hard blow for them. I put the intruder on the same throne as the dauntless. Planes I really like to fly.

about interest. I bought Hornet, not touched it . I am sick, in fact I am more interested in two upcoming heli

Edited by LuseKofte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Saw a docu about when the intruder was phased out in favor for the F 18. A lot of crews was deemed too old for conversion to the hornet. Being part of the service for so long and then get dumped was a hard blow for them. I put the intruder on the same throne as the dauntless. Planes I really like to fly.

about interest. I bought Hornet, not touched it . I am sick, in fact I am more interested in two upcoming heli

 

You really should give some carrier ops a try in the Hornet, it is a blast to fly and gorgeous along with the Persian Gulf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes but there is another one comming , I am so pleased by mi8 I doubt I will get a new Russian favorite heli . I think this will be more fun

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just picked up the new Memory of a Hero Campaign, for the MI-8 and KA-50 both.

I am combat capable in the KA-50, now going to have to learn the MI-8 finally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LuseKofte said:

Yes but there is another one comming , I am so pleased by mi8 I doubt I will get a new Russian favorite heli . I think this will be more fun

 

 

 

Not sure if I'm gonna get this one.

Wasn't too pleased with the Gazelle which was developed by the same team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

That is interesting. I may even buy that. Nothing else on the horizon has my interest.

 

It's going to be AI and included in the F-14 release. They'll probably (!) do a playable version later on (the model was designed with that in mind). All is subject to licensing agreements.

 

Does anybody know if they'll stick with the plan of releasing the F-14B module first and then releasing an add-on F-14A later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

 

It's going to be AI and included in the F-14 release. They'll probably (!) do a playable version later on (the model was designed with that in mind). All is subject to licensing agreements.

 

Does anybody know if they'll stick with the plan of releasing the F-14B module first and then releasing an add-on F-14A later?

Oh. I won't hold my breath then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw those cockpit pics earlier, they look exceptional. I bought the Viggen during the flash sale and it`s very well done by the same devs I believe.  Even in VR the cockpit is great but justice is not done with the gen 1 res. The F 14 will be a definite buy even if I`ll probably be a while trying to figure it out. It will have that 80`s/90`s feel like the Viggen due to it`s vintage, along with the lived in looks, and of course,

 

 

Edited by Wulfen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

 

Does anybody know if they'll stick with the plan of releasing the F-14B module first and then releasing an add-on F-14A later?

 

Ralfi did an interview with them and they mentioned the the A and B are both planned they didnt mention a separate release though so Id guess it'll come out at the same tome unless stated elsewhere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×