DCS news

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

#1 216th_LuseKofte

216th_LuseKofte
  • Founder

Posted 30 September 2016 - 18:52

Screen_160928_131108.jpgScreen_160928_133504.jpg

I have the last couple of month been very fond of DCS choppers , not once have I touched my WW2 modules. But looking at this I change my mind, I think. Detailed , very detailed

49efc10c-c436-418c-9fbd-9cffdcfaff3d_zps

#2 Bando

Bando
  • Founder

Posted 30 September 2016 - 18:56

Wow, that's fotorealistic.

Very nice!!

System specs:

Spoiler

#3 Picchio

Picchio
  • Founder

Posted 30 September 2016 - 20:10

Can't wait to be sitting in that cockpit and fly early in the misty morning in the countryside. Here, let's drool together...

"Quand un seul chien se met à aboyer à une ombre, dix mille chiens en font une réalité."

#4 Finkeren

Finkeren
  • Founder

Posted 30 September 2016 - 20:28

Looks very nice, superb modelling, though I don't get why the texture on the Spit has to look like it came right from a mud-wrestling match. It'll be interesting to see (and hear) it in flight.

Still I just couldn't bear sitting around waiting literally years for a single plane to come out. Just think about it. We only learned that the Yak-1b and the Ju 52 were in the works less than two months ago, and we'll be flying both of them before winter comes. The DCS Spit was announced, what, two-and-a-half years ago, and we still haven't seen it flying or any cockpit WIP shots.

Edited by Finkeren, 30 September 2016 - 20:32.

MiG-3                

The P-51 won the war.

#5 raaaid

raaaid
  • Founder

Posted 30 September 2016 - 20:42

almost photorealistic but too bright

i feel emotions ergo i exist, if i just thought id probably be a logic electric circuit without farther cosncience

unanimity is the only true democracy as we make of this world as group observers which means youre ultimately responsiblle of everything you see, the ostricht is wise

#6 216th_LuseKofte

216th_LuseKofte
  • Founder

Posted 30 September 2016 - 21:00

I am a offline player by hart, I have a real blast learning the KA 50, MI 8, Gazelle and Huey. I fly patterns , navigate , make difficult landings and do campaigns. Sometimes I go transporting AA and soldiers out in the fields on multiplayer. 

When I can do all choppers in all procedures , I might do the A-10 C and spend 6 month learning it and the SU 25. DCS make me relax and I can do it when it suit me, I know that every ai are doing as ordered and in a military manner. 

Do not get me wrong I like BOS series, but I do not like multiplayer conduct in any game, and BOS make you go multiplayer. There is no option. And the learning curve is pretty flat if dogfight is of no interest

#7 II./JG77_Manu*

II./JG77_Manu*
  • Founder

Posted 30 September 2016 - 21:25

Nice screens. Can't wait for the Normandy map and the respective AI units. First modern simulator where you can recreate something comparable to the legendary SeoW missions from old 1946..about time :)

#8 Sokol1

Sokol1
  • Founder

Posted 30 September 2016 - 22:59

Looks very nice, superb modelling, though I don't get why the texture on the Spit has to look like it came right from a mud-wrestling match.

Looks more appropriated for front line fighters operating from improvised landing strips than "show car" paints.

... guns were too quiet when engine is running and speed is high, and there was no "immersion of fire and metal storm in 2 meters aside of me"

#9 TunaEatsLion

TunaEatsLion
  • Founder

Posted 30 September 2016 - 23:08

There is now another pic of the train on the Normandy thread...

#10 55IAP_Lucas_From_Hell

55IAP_Lucas_From_Hell

Posted 01 October 2016 - 00:01

That is looking very, very good! It's interesting, both DCS and Il-2 are photorealistic, but in their own different ways.

I'm with Finkeren on the weathering though, rough conditions are one thing but crews kept their aircraft nice and clean. You'd find that kind of hardcore wear and tear at rougher environments like Northern Africa. Muddy mud comes off with water. For example, take a look at this T-34. This is a tank, it spends its whole days rolling in muddy roads and getting mud splashed on it by explosions, tracks and you name it, yet it looks way cleaner than an aircraft which sits comfortably at the airfield most of the time, then rolls in the mud for five minutes before disappearing into the horizon.

Color+Photos+of+Soviet+Soldiers+During+W

For more proper evidence, here is a Spitfire on a muddy airfield in Italy, 1944. The weathering you have there is operational wear, namely oil streaks, scratches and various kinds of grime. Compare the colour of the propeller hub with the screenshot for example. There is not much mud to be found except on the wheels themselves.

b0ae8be9fc3eaa959d695c6c50a2a913.jpg

post-32156-0-11706400-1460927216.png

Join 55 IAP now!

Editor @To Miles, WW2 fiction

#11 =LD=Hiromachi

=LD=Hiromachi
  • Tester

Posted 01 October 2016 - 00:16

It looks amazing and level of detail is impressive. I cant wait for Normany even though its price will be scary, just as the Spitfire will.

On the other news, it seems that there wont be P-47 unless miracle happens and they find enough documentation on the aircraft. Comment was made that when Republic was acquired its archives were eventually erased and little of original documentation, necessary for DCS level of detail, has prevailed. Some effort is made to look directly into NASA (which holds original NACA documentation) archives and contacting various museums and archives, such as National Air and Space Museum. A pity I'd say, since that puts this aircraft into indefinite WiP until above issue is remedied. And since they still struggle with releasing Spitfire ... 

Also, VEAO (in form of Pman) mentioned that they are or will be working on FW-190 A, which adds to the VEAO queue another aircraft. Only shame they still cant get that P-40 F running for like ... 2 years  :lol:

PqJg4n.jpg My dream : Il-2 Battle for New Guinea  - Make it happen 1CGS ! si6AuQ.png

#12 AwesomeSprawvy

AwesomeSprawvy
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 00:20

I didn't know that about the P-47. Shame, since that's the bird I was most looking forward to flying.

#13 =LD=Hiromachi

=LD=Hiromachi
  • Tester

Posted 01 October 2016 - 00:24

https://forums.eagle...08&postcount=27

Yup, there were many waiting for it. 

Edit: Here is an article on what happened with Republic records http://www.airspacem...9197851/?no-ist

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi, 01 October 2016 - 00:26.

PqJg4n.jpg My dream : Il-2 Battle for New Guinea  - Make it happen 1CGS ! si6AuQ.png

#14 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:17

Covered in mud.

a9cw7bC.jpg

DR3XvL.jpg

Edited by MiloMorai, 01 October 2016 - 02:19.

100 octane fuel was in wide  spread use during the BoB by RAF FC.The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed. There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.   Amiable to the Amiable; Inflexible to the Arrogant We never refuse to correct something that was found outside ED if it is really proven...But we never will follow some "experts" who think that only they are the greatest aerodynamic guru with a secret knowledge. Yo-Yo knows what he is doing and is delivering great products. That is why I bought DCS.

#15 AwesomeSprawvy

AwesomeSprawvy
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:18

https://forums.eagle...08&postcount=27

Yup, there were many waiting for it.

Edit: Here is an article on what happened with Republic records http://www.airspacem...9197851/?no-ist

Thank you for the additional information and links. While depressing, it does make sense.

#16 [DBS]El_Marta

[DBS]El_Marta
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:26

I didn't know that about the P-47. Shame, since that's the bird I was most looking forward to flying.

+1

#17 Uufflakke

Uufflakke

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:43

For example, take a look at this T-34. This is a tank, it spends its whole days rolling in muddy roads and getting mud splashed on it by explosions, tracks and you name it, yet it looks way cleaner than an aircraft which sits comfortably at the airfield most of the time, then rolls in the mud for five minutes before disappearing into the horizon.

The only thing I want to add in the 'mud' discussion is that for my feeling this tank has not driven in the mud all day long with explosions and so forth on the battlefield.

It is a typical kind of Russian WWII propaganda photo. Too well composed with the low angle point of view, well shaved enthusiastic young men and have a look at the guy in the hatch.

It would not surprise me if he had to hold this pose for a long time untill the photographer shot his best picture. Not someone who tries to get out of his tank as quickly as possible.

Anyway, the 2 images in the OP look promissing. At first glance I got the impression they were photos.

I hope that before I got old and shortsighted that Normandy map and all its goodies will be released. :biggrin:

Der Nußknacker - Er knackt ganz einfach  Jede Nuß  Und die nicht will  Muss

#18 LLv34_Flanker

LLv34_Flanker
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:22

S!

Agree with Uuflakke. A staged T-34 photo and colored afterwards giving possibility to "touch it up" as well. Planes lost their "factory fresh" look very fast in operational use. The personnel did not sit and scrub the planes hours and hours. They were kept in fighting condition and in larger maintenance propably cleaned more effectively etc. Forget the modern day flying examples, they are in better shape than even when they left the factory in 1940's. True car show examples so to say. And modern jets are not shiny and dandy either, at least from my 20 year experience with them ;)

EDIT: Will get those WW2 modules to DCS, looks very nice.

Edited by LLv34_Flanker, 01 October 2016 - 08:24.

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, Intel i7 6700K 4.00GHz, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP Edition 8Gb, ASUS Z170-WS motherboard, Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16Gb DDR4, ASUS Xonar sound, AOC AG271QG 27" 165Hz GSync display, Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb M.2 SSD x 2, ASUS Sica gaming mouse, Logitech G105 keyboard; Stick, throttle and pedals pending.  

#19 =LD=Hiromachi

=LD=Hiromachi
  • Tester

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:09

It reminds me of a plastic models and mantra among modelers to put extensive weathering, even if its unnecessary and doesnt make model more realistic. There are areas more prone to getting dirty (exhausts, landing gear, etc.) and less, but this Spitfire looks like it went though a chimney in mid XIXth century London ... it's just too much.

The personnel did not sit and scrub the planes hours and hours.

Personnel did not have to because they werent exposed to the same level of dust/mud as tanks or trucks.

Here is an example of Spitfire VIII and Hurricane from 1944 Burma, it was sometimes very rainy and mud covered airfields. If not than there was always plenty of dust. But as much as possible aircraft were kept clean :

Spoiler

Still, weathering is a minor detail. I finally want to see some flight with it, aircraft was supposed to be already released. And its still WiP. 

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi, 01 October 2016 - 09:10.

#20 LLv34_Flanker

LLv34_Flanker
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:23

S!

Hard to say anything from those BW pics, some look more weathered than others but sure overdoing weathering is another issue of course. Just people seem to expect spotless factory fresh, waxed bling blings. The paint was matte or semi matte, it did not reflect the plane on itself nor does the modern paint on jets I work with. They do not shine like a gem or reflect themselves like in BoX for example. I have no idea where this mirrorlike surface fetish comes from. There are accounts of some planes being waxed and polished yes, but I dare to say that those were only a very small minority. 

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, Intel i7 6700K 4.00GHz, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP Edition 8Gb, ASUS Z170-WS motherboard, Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16Gb DDR4, ASUS Xonar sound, AOC AG271QG 27" 165Hz GSync display, Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb M.2 SSD x 2, ASUS Sica gaming mouse, Logitech G105 keyboard; Stick, throttle and pedals pending.  

#21 =LD=Solty

=LD=Solty

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:31

Well you are making an assumption that nobody cared wheather or not the plane is clean. That is BS and would probably offend most of the ground crews. Many times from all sides, pilots said that crew chief cared about the airplane a lot and that they did everything to make it come home and especially with victories. It was their way of fighting the war, repairing and cleaning weapons.

A great story by Bud Anderson:

youtube.com/watch?v=4juN7Vy7KUA

Edited by =LD=Solty, 01 October 2016 - 09:33.

#22 DD_Arthur

DD_Arthur
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:36

Nice pictures - followed by a bizarre and wholly irrelevent absurd discussion over.....weathering :blink:

Edited by DD_Arthur, 01 October 2016 - 12:38.

#23 Finkeren

Finkeren
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:41

It looks amazing and level of detail is impressive. I cant wait for Normany even though its price will be scary, just as the Spitfire will.

On the other news, it seems that there wont be P-47 unless miracle happens and they find enough documentation on the aircraft. Comment was made that when Republic was acquired its archives were eventually erased and little of original documentation, necessary for DCS level of detail, has prevailed. Some effort is made to look directly into NASA (which holds original NACA documentation) archives and contacting various museums and archives, such as National Air and Space Museum. A pity I'd say, since that puts this aircraft into indefinite WiP until above issue is remedied. And since they still struggle with releasing Spitfire ...

Also, VEAO (in form of Pman) mentioned that they are or will be working on FW-190 A, which adds to the VEAO queue another aircraft. Only shame they still cant get that P-40 F running for like ... 2 years :lol:

What!?!? The P-47 is scrapped as well? If I were one of the original "1944" backers I'd be livid.

Edited by Finkeren, 01 October 2016 - 11:41.

MiG-3                

The P-51 won the war.

#24 Finkeren

Finkeren
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:46

Nice pictures - followed by a bizarre and wholly irrelevent discussion over.....weathering :blink:

Why is that irrelevant? The model and the textures are all we havd to go by. No info on how it performs, no cockpit shots, no video of any kind.

We might as well discuss what's there.

MiG-3                

The P-51 won the war.

#25 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:13

I'd wondered what happened to the Spitfire.  One of the kickstarter videos has Luthier quoting the creator of the aircraft, saying it will "be pretty much guaranteed it will take up to five months to create". 

"Nineteen years of age, eight years public education, three years military service. Intelligent, normally observant and answered all questions freely. He was arrogant and proud to be a pilot. Fellow prisoners in hospital consider him mentally unstable..."

#26 =LD=Hiromachi

=LD=Hiromachi
  • Tester

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:14

Nice pictures - followed by a bizarre and wholly irrelevent discussion over.....weathering :blink:

I think you've never been to any plastic model forum, weathering can be a thing that triggers wars out there. The best model can be ruined by overuse of weathering, but at the same time best model can receive no positive comments when some consider lack or only small weathering present. You will never please "critics" :) 

Thankfully thats never been my problems since I cant seem to be able to finish any model.

What!?!? The P-47 is scrapped as well? If I were one of the original "1944" backers I'd be livid.

When I mentioned kickstarter and why 109 K-4 was still picked I was punished by Sithspawn and a comment was made (supported by Matt Wagner lmao) that they cannot be blamed for faults of those before them and their choices (namely Luthier). When 109 K-4 was released all the praise went towards ED. Original 1944 backers already made up their mind.

Also, its not scrapped. Its put on hold in work in progress. That's somewhere between eternity and soon :) A step closer are Leathernecks since they put on hold their F4U (and Iwo Jima map) until ED releases some technology/software.

Delay Simulator it is :lol:  

#27 LLv34_Flanker

LLv34_Flanker
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 14:21

S!

Solty. Do not get salty ;) Of course they did maintenance to the planes to keep them in a fighting condition. But do not compare a base in England with all the facilities, spare parts and personnel at hand to a front line field somewhere out there. Simply the planes did wear more out in the field as there it was not feasibly possible to scrub and grind the planes like in a large base farther from action. They did not move the RAF Bodney base full of Mustangs to a Normandy dirt strip including the hangars, repair shops, depots full of spares etc. There simply was not enough resources and space to perform anything more than the daily duties within the constraits of that frontline field. Add to that the amount of sorties planes flew and count on how much the ground crew did scrub and polish every seam and panel. They did to an extent, but not as much as in a big base like Bodney, Bigging Hill etc. Nothing about making assumptions, but putting it into a perspective from own service in an air force with modern jets and their requirements. And those far exceed what a prop plane requires in every single way.

As of model kits. I have found the US Navy WW2 planes most interesting to weather as they were operated under harsh conditions with salt, relentless sunshine, storms etc. The exhaust soot is a challenge as the lead filled fuel made the blue soot to be more or less white. And did they not use sealing tape on top of Corsairs to prevent oil spillage on windscreen/canopy etc. P-61 Black Widow also has some nice weathering options, especially the black painted ones. Corsair and Black Widow are 2 of my favorite US planes along with P-47D and N. From RAF inventory I prefer the Typhoon, Tempest and Lancaster :)

#28 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 14:30

Pitty to hear about the P-47 (on a bright side this might push the Me-262 somewhat). Still nice screenshots.

YdcExnd.jpg                                                                                      Ju 87 D-3 4K Skin Template        - Released                                                    

Ju-52 Early Supporter                                                                                                         Ju 52/3m g4 4K Skin Template   - Released

#29 LLv34_Flanker

LLv34_Flanker
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 14:40

S!

Really a shame the P-47D suffered a setback :( Me262 was in a decent shape already last year along with the Bf109G so wondering when we see more of them.

#30 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 14:42

I'm curious how the P-47 - despite numerous flying examples still being in existence, can become so difficult to produce.  When extinct types like the 109K or actual Me-262s are all OK.

"Nineteen years of age, eight years public education, three years military service. Intelligent, normally observant and answered all questions freely. He was arrogant and proud to be a pilot. Fellow prisoners in hospital consider him mentally unstable..."

#31 216th_LuseKofte

216th_LuseKofte
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 14:43

REALLY??? I was not showing off the skin on the vehicles nor the end product. This is VIP and it looking damn good. You guys are giving critique on the same bases you yourself objected to when BOS was in the heat. I probably will not fly WW2 stuff in DCS for many years to come, And I am not a P 51 ,Bf109 , FW 190  and Spitfire fan in simulation purposes. They simply give me nothing, except for a little ride now and then in offline mode.

I simply credit the 3D work done here, not how they choose to color it, neither the light, a little sweet FX fix the light issue. I did not start this for a DCS vs BOS debate.

And where do you see the mud? I see a non glossy skin myself with no effect for being metal

#32 Matt

Matt
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 14:52

If I were one of the original "1944" backers I'd be livid.

I am still livid. :)

But the Spitfire looks nice. 

i5-4670k - GTX 970 - 8GB DDR3 - Windows 10 - VKB Gladiator Pro + Warthog grip - TM Warthog throttle - VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV - PC360 - TrackIR5 - Monster Tech table mounts

#33 =LD=Hiromachi

=LD=Hiromachi
  • Tester

Posted 01 October 2016 - 14:53

Considering the level of detail they seek in documentation I'd say that excludes awful lot of warbirds. Wind tunnel testing of aircraft was not a standard and there werent many large scale wind tunnels (I recall that one big enough was in Langley in US, one was in France and Japanese had one in Yokosuka Research Facility [Yokosuka Arsenal]) but that also makes sense why they avoid anything larger than a fighter. Documentation on some bombers is probably even more limited than on fighters ... 

#34 TunaEatsLion

TunaEatsLion
  • Founder

Posted 01 October 2016 - 15:07

I'm curious how the P-47 - despite numerous flying examples still being in existence, can become so difficult to produce. When extinct types like the 109K or actual Me-262s are all OK.

Why can't they pay for a CFD analysis(cheapest?) or tunnel test on a accurate model plane. Isn't that how many tests where done and then scaled up. I'm slightly confused as to why this has become a 10m thick stonewall all of a sudden.

#35 Uufflakke

Uufflakke

Posted 01 October 2016 - 15:17

There is now another pic of the train on the Normandy thread...

Where?

Any link to the image?

Haven't found it myself.

Der Nußknacker - Er knackt ganz einfach  Jede Nuß  Und die nicht will  Muss

#36 DB605

DB605
  • Founder

Posted 02 October 2016 - 20:54

no cockpit shots

Here you go.

https://forums.eagle...00&d=1448633669

http://www.digitalco...-cockpit-02.jpg

http://www.digitalco...-cockpit-01.jpg

Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz, Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 , 8GB DDR3 667 MHz RAM, Win 10x64, TrackIR 5, MS Sidewinder 2 FFB, Saitek X52Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Oculus Rift, Gametrix jetseat

#37 TunaEatsLion

TunaEatsLion
  • Founder

Posted 02 October 2016 - 21:13

Where?
Any link to the image?
Haven't found it myself.

Here it is.
https://forums.eagle...8&postcount=634

#38 Bando

Bando
  • Founder

Posted 02 October 2016 - 21:17

These are all fine looking pictures.

System specs:

Spoiler

#39 Finkeren

Finkeren
  • Founder

Posted 02 October 2016 - 21:48

Here you go.

https://forums.eagle...00&d=1448633669

http://www.digitalco...-cockpit-02.jpg

http://www.digitalco...-cockpit-01.jpg

Looks nice.

MiG-3                

The P-51 won the war.

#40 =LD=Hiromachi

=LD=Hiromachi
  • Tester

Posted 02 October 2016 - 22:00

I always felt confused in Spitfire cockpit, layout of gauges wasnt appealing to me but units were deadly. Feet, miles per hour, lbs of boost... 

And you have to taxi it on the left side of the runway. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users