Sign in to follow this  
JimTM

Note re. DServer "Server IP" Setting

I'd like to add the following note in my mission editor manual re. the DServer "Server IP" setting:

Note: The IP for the DServer is allocated by your router so it can change when you

reboot your router or PC. To ensure that the IP address stays constant, you must either

reserve the address in DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) on your router or

set up a static IP address on your server PC LAN adapter properties.

I'm not very experienced in network matters so can someone tell me if this note is valid and, if not, suggest some changes?

Thanks!

Edited by JimTM

DServer

PC -------------- Router --------------- Internet

Privet IP                Public IP

DServer uses IP of your PC (Privet IP), so you have to set Port Forwarding on the router to map Public IP and port (accessible from the Internet) to Privet IP and port. After this Privet IP is accessible from the Internet. It's recommended to set static Privet IP and Public IP. 

If you use DHCP the IP may change and you have to reconfigure the router.

• Upvote 1

I believe what JimTM says is correct. Even if you are using DHCP, typically you can configure your DHCP server (on your router) to always assign the same LAN IP to your PC.

By the way, in may case I don't have to set that field in the DServer config. If I leave it empty DServer just picks the correct ethernet adapter. Maybe I'm just being lucky, but that's how it is with both my PCs that I use as server.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. Perhaps I'll add a note re. the blank IP with a warning that it may or may not work, depending on your network config.

:salute:

Edited by JimTM

By the way, in may case I don't have to set that field in the DServer config. If I leave it empty DServer just picks the correct ethernet adapter. Maybe I'm just being lucky, but that's how it is with both my PCs that I use as server.

It's because PC usually has only one Ethernet adapter.

There may be situation where DServer is running on server machine with two or more Ethernet adapters, where each of them has different IP address. In that case it's important to set correct IP address on DServer. 

• Upvote 1

DServer

PC -------------- Router --------------- Internet

Privet IP                Public IP

DServer uses IP of your PC (Privet IP), so you have to set Port Forwarding on the router to map Public IP and port (accessible from the Internet) to Privet IP and port. After this Privet IP is accessible from the Internet. It's recommended to set static Privet IP and Public IP. 

If you use DHCP the IP may change and you have to reconfigure the router.

"Map Public IP?" What is the public IP? Is that my routers public IP?

Public IP is visible by others in the Internet (you may establish connection to it  example: www servers, game servers), but many ordinary PC don't act like servers (in homes or offices) so they have privet IP (usually starting from 192.168.x.y). Privet IP is not visible directly by others in the Internet. 

Privet IP is hidden behind the router. You may check your PC IP by typing 'ipconfig' in windows command line and router IP by visiting whatismyipaddress.com

Salutations,

Has anybody been able to successfully run a DServer using the Arris 6580 Cable modem? If you have.... please, please, please share the method with me.