Han

Developer Diary, Part 132 - Discussion

This is perhaps my favorite diary update ever. Sounds absolutely fantastic.

+1

Very excited, can't wait to play it. Things are looking so good for this game now :)

Edited by Zami

...the outcome of previous missions will influence the next ones...

This is something that i would like to know little more about , could you explain how it gonna be achieved in current missions system?

BTW do you guys consider playing campaign in coop mode?

But...I would like to ask about the map of Odesa, we were shown days ago. when we delivered this map? 

I think Zeus said that they (not him) are making Odessa map for about 6 months now, and he also said that it is half done. 

Edited by 307_Tomcat
  • Upvote 1

This is something that i would like to know little more about , could you explain how it gonna be achieved in current missions system?

BTW do you guys consider playing campaign in coop mode?

Playing campaign in co-op mode would be a dream come true for me.
  • Upvote 1

yeah, invite others into your mission! That would be incredible. Don't know how hard it would be to program this.

It could be like this:

When you start a new mission in campaign you can choose it to be singleplayer only or to be coop. If it is coop it will then appear in the coop browser (they said they wanted to do such a thing) and others can join. Any player that joins will then pick and fill up an available AI slot. Mission can be started then and will be equal to the normal mission just with some players. (I guess this also needs some rewrites of AI logic, right now they only seem to accept you as leader).

Great DD!!  Mainly an MP guy but the SP campaign is something long overdue and is necessary for the longevity of the series.

Can't wait to get 2.004!!

• Upvote 1

If devs will manage to deliver co-op campaign at some point,I have another bunch of euros for them.I would gift all 3 BoX to my brother ;)

Edited by Brano
  • Upvote 5

Excellent news, looking forward to the update.

Campaign with real pilot and real squad? Losses? Victoryes? Historical awards?

"I tell you, keep asking, and it will be given you. Keep seeking, and you will find. Keep knocking, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened."

— Luke 11:9-10

chto_takoe_krestnoe_znamenie_kvadrat2.jp

• Upvote 3

Does anyone know if the gamey feature when the ai gets increasingly difficult the further you progress in the campaign will be removed in the new system?

That was the big thing I didn't care for in the current system.

Thanks for the update sounds good!

Yes, Jason confirmed a few weeks back on SimHQ that this (the level system) was going.

Edited by kendo

Great DD.  As a SP  this is great news, now the hard part waiting. :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Is there a chance to get some version of the career mode in early access before BoK release?

I would not mind to test the thing even if not completely polished  ;)

That career mode sounds almost exactly like what I had hoped for since BoS was first announced back in the day.

The fact that it's coming for BoS and BoM as well as for BoK is just amazing.

:dance:

Big ups on the forthcoming campaign mode!  :good:

So, we should be getting the new update this afternoon then?  

Excellent update. The new campaign mode sounds impressive. I really hope the part that mentioned your player pilot starting out in the lower ranks and advancing comes to be. It seems like such a natural part of a campaign career. If this is achieved by the the time BoK arrives, then this will be a fully fleshed out sim with enough to satisfy the fans and hopefully win over most of the remaining doubters.

Today we'll tell you a bit about this new game mode.

This is all we wanted to tell you about the new Career at this point,

Did anybody else freak out a little when they saw this part of Han's first post above?

When I went on to read the various posts above and the rest of the full news, I was very pleasantly surprised about how many really good things were said about the plans for career mode, but when I first read the above part of Han's post I really thought they were playing some cruel joke on us SP types and/or telling us there was nothing to say about career mode.

Intentional or not, I appreciate the chuckle it gave me (after recovering from the initial shock :) ).

• Upvote 2

That would be absolutely marvellous :) 

@ Guerrero

I think you've mistaken me for someone else. But then there are lots of dogs called Rex. ;) ;)

Ha. I pre-ordered BoS for the career mode and was disappointed it never made it through to release. Better late than never I guess. Very excited to see what this turns out like.

I think Zeus said that they (not him) are making Odessa map for about 6 months now, and he also said that it is half done. 

Hi Tomcat friend!! jejeje My mouth write a little smile.

thx for this info

Salute see you in the VirtualSky

The work on Battle of Kuban is officially started - the development plan is completed and approved by all team leads. The map of Kuban and three 3D models of the aircraft are already in the works and we are making preparations for the Career mode

For me this is the most important part of the message Han gave us. That means that multiple teams have some schedule/ milestones assigned, they have resources and funds to do their work. 

They not only make plans, they have already started working to make them happen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as hyped about the single player's campaign feats as many of you are, but I know how much of putting the puzzle pieces together it takes to get the project on track and keep it there. Especially a big project, like the BoK is.

You know what, Guys? It's thanks to the flight sim community gathered on this and other forum boards, appreciating the hard work devs/ modders do, sometimes maybe disagreeing on some issues, still trying to keep the genre up and running.

Let's keep it up and running! Regardless of the actual sim we play currently.

Salute to you all, pilots and devs/ modders!

Playing the campaign in an optional co-op mode would be a ridiculously sweet cherry on the top. Devs, is it possible?  

Even without that, this is such a great update that I felt obliged to purchase the BOM premium planes despite having zero interest in the P40 and "-1" interest in the Macchi. Purely a good-faith purchase. 

I look forward to December next year when the Steam comments summary goes from "Mostly Positive" to "Overwhelmingly Positive" and IL2 hits escape velocity. :-)

EDIT: I've activated the P40 and Macchi, but no BOM gold bar (sob). Any way to make this happen or is it too late?

Edited by FlyingNutcase

Playing the campaign in an optional co-op mode would be a ridiculously sweet cherry on the top. Devs, is it possible?

Even without that, this is such a great update that I felt obliged to purchase the BOM premium planes despite having zero interest in the P40 and "-1" interest in the Macchi. Purely a good-faith purchase.

I look forward to December next year when the Steam comments summary goes from "Mostly Positive" to "Overwhelmingly Positive" and IL2 hits escape velocity. :-)

EDIT: I've activated the P40 and Macchi, but no BOM gold bar (sob). Any way to make this happen or is it too late?

I'm afraid the Bar is only for preorders.

And so the ball gets rolling. I have booked myself a virtual holiday in the Kuban in Dec 2017...I hope the weather is good because the action will be hot.

Campaign with real pilot and real squad? Losses? Victoryes? Historical awards?

"I tell you, keep asking, and it will be given you. Keep seeking, and you will find. Keep knocking, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened."

I need to try that, ekhm... Release of RoF skinpacks ;) ?

Great news about the Career Mode!

Are there any plans to release this for Moscow and Stalingrad prior to Kuban?

Very much the news us SP types have been waiting for.

Dividing the career into chapters makes perfect sense given the need to move between maps. Will this also require changing squadrons? Historically I expect you would be hard pressed to find many units that fought in all three battles, so I suppose a transfer between  units makes sense, or perhaps an "alternate history" allowing the unit to track between chapters.

To able to fly as wingman would be good - it is fun to try to keep your crazed leader alive sometimes, I hope this makes it in the plan.

I also hope that the AI can be tweaked to get some "easy wins": things with a good cost/benefit of developer investment and reduction in player annoyance, and an end to "pilot levels"  ;)

Ability to assign decal numbers or specific skins to flight members would also been hugely well received.

Feeling much more optimistic about all of this than for a long time. :) 

What if there was an optional multiplayer/coop component to the campaign. Coop would be great when you have irregularly flying friends who can join; multiplayer would be mega for regularly flying friends and squads that fly regularly and where everyone can progress in the campaign.

The AI will already be tracked for progression, medals etc so "all" it would need would be to have the option of other player roles.

And you get the merging of the single and online communities to some degree. To me, this would be the "killer" feature that would be rocket fuel for IL2 sales.

Now I just fear a "This won't be happening" response from Jason or Han.

Yes, Jason confirmed a few weeks back on SimHQ that this (the level system) was going.

Hoooo bloody hooray, sanity prevails.

This will make New IL2 series the game I have REALLY been wanting to play for a long time.......All Hail the new career

When the new career mode replaces the current campaign mode, what will happen to the scripted campaign missions? They are quite well done and I don't want to lose them. Could they be moved into the Missions section?

When the new career mode replaces the current campaign mode, what will

happen to the scripted campaign missions? They are quite well done and I don't want to lose them. Could they be

moved into the Missions section?

My quess is that they will be used in the scripted campaign. At least some of them.

FINALLY!

This is better than sliced bread!

I've been waiting for years for this. Well done!

Just preordered Kuban and Tante JU.

Edited by 74_jim_nihilist