Battle of New Guinea - BONG!

Come on People. Support this thread. Release 2020

This would be an excellent theatre, complimenting Midway and Okinawa, and a unique opportunity for all players. The turning of the tide for the Japanese in the Pacific.

A20's

Kittyhawk

Beaufighter (PLEASE)

C47 or Catalina

P39

B25

P38

Boomerang (Collector)

Ki61

Ki43

Ki45

Zero

Betty

• Upvote 1

Concur.  But Gudalcanal or New Guinea '42 before New Guinea '43-44

I would prefer New Guinea 43-44 that way we have a timeline inbetween Midway and Okinawa. Instead of two battles in 42 and one in 45, the gap would be too large.

Battle of Midway-1942

Battle of New Guinea- 1943-44

Battle of Okinawa-1945

This way it all flows together nicely, though I would be fine with a new Guinea in 42 if we have other battles to fill in the gap.

I would prefer New Guinea 43-44 that way we have a timeline inbetween Midway and Okinawa. Instead of two battles in 42 and one in 45, the gap would be too large.

Battle of Midway-1942

Battle of New Guinea- 1943-44

Battle of Okinawa-1945

This way it all flows together nicely, though I would be fine with a new Guinea in 42 if we have other battles to fill in the gap.

This would be my expectation as well. They may go out of order, like the Eastern series, only becuase the map making between Midway and Okinawa would be more homogenous.

Also, all those Yankee's will want late war American iron and Okinawa has that in spades. They are trying to harness a wider audience. Like it or not that is the business reality.

This would be my expectation as well. They may go out of order, like the Eastern series, only becuase the map making between Midway and Okinawa would be more homogenous.

Also, all those Yankee's will want late war American iron and Okinawa has that in spades. They are trying to harness a wider audience. Like it or not that is the business reality.

Disagree.  As a yankee, I would like to see a chronological approach.

• Upvote 1

I'm a Yank too. In general, however, yours is a minority opinion by old school flight sim guys. I respect it and prefer the chronological approach as well but the wider audience they are seeking does not necesarilly hold the same.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

I'm a Yank too. In general, however, yours is a minority opinion by old school flight sim guys. I respect it and prefer the chronological approach as well but the wider audience they are seeking does not necesarilly hold the same.

Fair enough.  I just think going out of order makes it more difficult to add aircraft that are relevant across all current releases.  Late War Pacific doesn't lend itself to crossover aircraft on the Eastern Front and vice versa.

Edited by TheElf
  • Upvote 2

Not sure why we would need to worry about crossover with the eastern front. We will get a completely different plane set I'm sure. And most never served in the eastern front.

I'm just hoping they do land and carrier aircraft and not just carrier. I prefer aircraft like the P-47 and P-51 rather than the F6F so I hope we see some Army aircraft aswell. This is one of the reasons I like Okinawa, because it gives us the opportunity to have Navy and Army aircraft working together.

Edited by Legioneod

Not sure why we would need to worry about crossover with the eastern front. We will get a completely different plane set I'm sure. And most never served in the eastern front.

I'm just hoping they do land and carrier aircraft and not just carrier. I prefer aircraft like the P-47 and P-51 rather than the F6F so I hope we see some Army aircraft aswell. This is one of the reasons I like Okinawa, because it gives us the opportunity to have Navy and Army aircraft working together.

Crossover is important because while building a new theater if you can do it in such a manner that it adds content to other theaters you make more people happy.  There will likely be people who never buy a Pacific release, much like there are many Old school sim folk who have yet to buy BoS or BoM due to the Eastern Front content focus.  But if you release a Pacific Title that allows cross over aircraft like the P-40, P-39, A-20 from BoM and BoK, and you throw in some planes in a Pacific release (which is harder) that adds to the Eastern front you are building on previous content on all fronts making old content relevant in new releases.

Earlier discussions ( a year or so ago) about a pacific release advocated the P-40 and P-39 as central aircraft so that they might also be used by Eastern Front players.  If you look at the business model of the Devs to this point, while it isn't stated outright, its clear they consider where they are going next when they decide their planesets and premium aircraft.

A release that is basically a stand alone game with no content crossover is a potential no sale for those who claim to only want one theater to be developed.  Its unfortunate, but those people are out there.

A third pacific theatre in a row?  Can't see it myself.......

Well I hope it happens because I need my Jug. As long as I have a P-47 I'll be happy, even if I never get my beloved heavy bombers.

I also don't see why they wouldn't do three Pacific battle in a row, they are doing it for the eastern front.

A third pacific theatre in a row?  Can't see it myself.......

Yet 3 Eastern Front theaters in a row makes perfect sense?

Can't see your logic there.

Many of us have supported 3 Eastern Front theaters happily, even though we'd rather have been

elsewhere from day one. Given the scope of the theater, not to mention it's popularity, spending another

3 releases in the Pacific is more than sensible. 

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 2

Getting the jug, and perhaps even a fortress or B24 could then push us into late Western Europe. Crossover.

But I'd like to tour Italy first

A P-47, B-17, and B-24 would work great with an Mediterranean theater as well.

Many of us have supported 3 Eastern Front theaters happily, even though we'd rather have been

elsewhere from day one. Given the scope of the theater, not to mention it's popularity, spending another

3 releases in the Pacific is more than sensible. 

Agreed, the Pacific has so much to offer, it's a shame people don't realize that.

Alot of people want Western Europe because of the plane-set but almost every American aircraft that served in Europe also served in the Pacific.

B-17

B-24

B-25

P-51

P-47

P-38

Etc.

All served in both theaters of war. We can experience these aircraft without ever going to Europe.

I hope to see most of these aircraft in the upcoming Pacific releases.

Well I hope it happens because I need my Jug. As long as I have a P-47 I'll be happy, even if I never get my beloved heavy bombers.

I also don't see why they wouldn't do three Pacific battle in a row, they are doing it for the eastern front.

The thing about being a P-47 fan is that you have pretty good chances of seeing the fighter. It could be over Italy, Normandy and Western Europe, or in some of the Pacific campaigns. I'll cross my fingers! :)

Agreed, the Pacific has so much to offer, it's a shame people don't realize that.

There's some ignorance about the theater, no doubt. Huge ignorance. (that's not about you Arthur, although I do find your statement odd)

I think some people think they have a handle on it, but really have no clue...haven't read about New Guinea, Guadalcanal, let

alone Iwo Jima, Okinawa...the war was huge. All the whining about flying over

open water, etc induces huge eye rolls from me... as if that's all that went on.  :dry:

Hell I could plan 2 releases/plane sets based on just the Solomons alone - not to mention New Guinea

But hey the ignorance thing is not a put-down - I'm HUGELY ignorant about the Med - I mean I couldn't fill a thimble with my knowledge

of the air war there. 

• Upvote 1

fluff yes to BoNG. I just had a read through my Beaufort, beaufighter and mosquito in Australian Service by Steward Wilson this morning and thought about starting a conversation about NG, mainly about getting the Beaufighter in. Especially the airfeild of Milne Bay which was pretty horrible to operate from.

I want to fly the beaufighter in the CAS, airfield raids and ship straffing role.

6_Squadron_RAAF_Lockheed_Hudson_at_Milne 17-75%20Sqn%20P40%20at%20MB.jpg

Hudson taxiing at Milne Bay, horrible conditions. 

300px-Beaufighter_(AWM_OG0001).jpg

db_file_img_125229_265xauto.jpg

Not a lengthly book but interesting non the less, especially those interested in the RAAF. I was trying to find some good combat photos but all i can find is crashed Beaufighters. 

(that's not about you Arthur, although I do find your statement odd)

:salute: Gambit.  Let me explain a little.  I'm looking forward very much to the Kuban but I can't wait for Midway!   I've seen some strange statements about the online viability of carrier ops since Jason's announcement but for me they were always the highlight of "old" IL2.  In my opinion nothing is more satisfying than a successful carrier mission.  Bring on that Dauntless! :cool:

In the "sell me the pacific" thread I've posted a short video to illustrate what the DN engine is capable of doing with it's water technology.  I think it's going to be pretty fantastic!

Although I'm keen to see Midway first and I'll buy whatever the team put out I'm pleased about the possibility of an Okinawa expansion.  The plan to put out a SDK for ships and vehicles also brings up the possibility of an Illustrious class carrier being added to the game.  Turn the Spitfire we'll be getting into a Seafire and that means the Brits get a look in too :biggrin:

However,  from a commercial perspective -  a third pacific expansion in a row?  We've seen plenty of push back from the community about too much eastern front action.  Wouldn't it just trigger a similar reaction.  If we're to go with the spirit of '46 then perhaps by then we should be looking at a western european theatre?

Perhaps a western theatre with P47's, P38's, eating pasta, etc :salute:    

• Upvote 1

I'd prefer we went:

1. Battle of Midway

2. Battle of Guadalcanal

3. Battle of New Guinea

4. Battle of the Philippines

5. Battle of Okinawa

Something like that. In there though, what we're missing is the 'island hopping campaign', which covers islands like the Marianas, the Gilberts, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. All important in their own rights.

However, I'd give anything to get a Beaufighter. 

I think New Guinea is the perfect mid point between Midway and Okinawa. It offers a good variety of aircraft that can later be used in other theaters.

While I'd love to see Guadalcanal and the Philippines I think New Guinea should take priority due to it's possible content and place between Midway and Okinawa.

Battles like Guadalcanal and the Philippines can always be added later, and I'm sure they will add them if the Pacific is popular enough.

Imo they should do three battles per theater to start off with and then they should move to the next theater so people won't grow tired. They can always come back to previous theaters later down the road.

The important thing is that we keep the devs funded and informed on what we want to see, that way they know what direction is best to take, and so that they have the resources to get there.

Eventually I hope to see all of WW2 covered in this sim.

I agree with a lot of what was posted on this thread.  Here's my take for what it's worth...the secret to an engaging campaign is a relative parity between the forces, and a certain degree of stability to the theater. The main problem with the Battle of Midway concept is the battle only lasted 3 days...then what; too short for my taste. Historically after Midway, and particularly after the Marianas, the IJN air assets were virtually non-existent, so anything that followed would essentially be the Japanese player trying to fly his plane into an American carriers while the USN player defends.

Here's my recommendation...IJN at Rabaul, USN at Henderson, fighting over the "slot". Both sides would also have significant carrier forces roaming the AO. Forces are nearly equal, and this theater was fought over for nearly a year. Want carrier action; you have both the Battles of the Coral and Solomon Seas, which I recall were draws.

Here's some other historical tidbits I think players should keep in mind about this theater.  Unlike other games in this series, which were land-based, you must remember the carries continuously move around. They don't stop to launch, and then wait for you to come back. Therefore, you have the added excitement of trying to find your carrier once you've completed your mission. Second, Japanese A/C were constructed from magnesium (due to available resources), which caught fire after only a few tracer hits.  This fact might make fighting with IJN A/C a little frustrating for the players.

Food for though.

Many battles in the Pacific only lasted a few days, there's really no way around it. In order to have a proper campaign we will need a few battles in order to simulate the island hoping that was going on at the time.

I only play multiplayer so the campaign thing really doesn't bother me much but I do understand where people are coming from.

:salute: Gambit.  Let me explain a little.  I'm looking forward very much to the Kuban but I can't wait for Midway!   I've seen some strange statements about the online viability of carrier ops since Jason's announcement but for me they were always the highlight of "old" IL2.  In my opinion nothing is more satisfying than a successful carrier mission.  Bring on that Dauntless! :cool:

In the "sell me the pacific" thread I've posted a short video to illustrate what the DN engine is capable of doing with it's water technology.  I think it's going to be pretty fantastic!

Although I'm keen to see Midway first and I'll buy whatever the team put out I'm pleased about the possibility of an Okinawa expansion.  The plan to put out a SDK for ships and vehicles also brings up the possibility of an Illustrious class carrier being added to the game.  Turn the Spitfire we'll be getting into a Seafire and that means the Brits get a look in too :biggrin:

However,  from a commercial perspective -  a third pacific expansion in a row?  We've seen plenty of push back from the community about too much eastern front action.  Wouldn't it just trigger a similar reaction.  If we're to go with the spirit of '46 then perhaps by then we should be looking at a western european theatre?

Perhaps a western theatre with P47's, P38's, eating pasta, etc :salute:    

I hear you Arthur - from the commercial perspective it might be more tricky...the emphasis on the 'might' because they're doing it right now with the generally less popular (from a western standpoint)

Eastern front. So my tentative plan right now if I ran the world - have the third Pacific release already in mind, and announce the next theater at the same time you announce the

third Pacific installment. That way you get what we have here presently. That is - even those peeps not thrilled about more Russia will support the sim to get to the Pacific.

I sort of fall into that category, but truth be told I'm pretty excited about Kuban and the A20. 

Those that might not be thrilled about more Pacific will support the product to get us to the Med, or a Channel map, or whatever their preferred theater is.

It would be a shame to abandon the Pacific after the 2 releases announced, but we shall see.

IMHO, this would be the perfect campaign setting for a Pacific sim! Plenty of action for both carrier and land based airplanes and an extensive campaign that lasted for a long time, starting with a Japanese advantage and then gradually turning into an Allied victory. Excellent material for a proper single player career mode and also for multiplayer with a large selection of airplanes to choose from.

This needs to happen!  :)

New Guinea is the most important area in the whole Pacific war, yet almost no one knows anything about it.

It was the place the Imperial Japanese had to hold to keep the Allies from supplying Australia and New Zealand, and it was the key to keeping their supply lines of oil and rubber from the Netherlands East Indies (the reason the Japanese started the greater Pacific war in the first place) safe from the Allies.

It was so valuable to them that they expended the bulk of their experienced Army aviators there.

New Guinea is the reason that when the Allies got closer to the Home Islands, they saw far lighter resistance in the air than would have been normally expected.

New Guinea was the key to the whole Pacific war.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

I also think New Guinea (43-44) would be a great third Pacific theater to make. It offers a lot of ground based and sea based missions with a good plane set for both sides (plus it would be cool to have a Mosquito or Beaufighter as a collector plane). I like the idea of Midway and Okinawa too, but would prefer New Guinea after Midway. I'm a "Yankee" and as much as I would like an F4U-1 D/C with all the bells and whistles, I think it would be better to go in chronological order, plus I just think BoNG would be a great theater. I don't mind waiting a bit longer for the later-war aircraft as long as it's for great scenarios because I think too many people focus on only late war planes and it's refreshing to get a detailed simulation or early and mid-war planes that you just don't see in most games. Just my two cents.

Edited by Medicated