Jason_Williams

Discussion of Battle of Kuban Pre-Order

So after a bottle of lovely Crianza I'm BoK proud owner. Now I have to survive a week with 20 € left ;-).

You have my trust guys.

Y.

• Upvote 1

Just when you lose a little faith in the on-line world someone comes along and gifts you BoK which proves the community really isn't as bad as a few loud discussions make it appear sometimes!

Thank you generous person who wishes to remain anonymous!

Wow that's awesome!

That already exists (keybinding H). On SP you enable it in mission settings and in MP it's up to the server settings.

Thanks for the info.

Like other in this thread, I can't go back to sims on monitor, it's all VR for me now, which means that so far IL2 BOS has remained shelved. It would be good to see a more active commitment to VR, and as others have said the best way to tackle VR is start supporting it early and incrementing on it until you've got it working - others like Combat Air Patrol 2 and Aerofly FS2 are doing it this way with constant feedback from users. Anyway, I'll jump 100% in and buy everything you have on offer once it's clear that you're implementing VR. This weekend Jason stated that it's still something he won't promise - I personally would like to see it as a core feature, with full commitment, before I pre-order (I was about to pre-order when I saw Jason's statement and decided to wait)

I also think that in the long run VR has to be a core implementation for every flight sim. I think this is a big chance for every "game" that's cockpit related.

Unfortunately the VR devices are too expensive atm for many people and also some technical limitations prevent some to jump in. This is not an easy spot for a developer since there are so little technical standards and everything can change in a minute. 

But as I've said, in the next coming years I expect our hobby to drastically improve due to VR and also, the community of Sims like BoS will grow and attract new players and hopefully lead to even better products and faster development cycles.

But I am in the same spot as you, VR has drastically improved my FS experience and I can't go back to 2D again. It's like with big flatscreens vs old tube TVs, you just can't go back and be satisfied. And all that with just the first iteration of the devices, can't wait to see what comes in the future. It's so cool to feel the size of a cockpit and actualy "be" there, I'm so looking forward to sit in the Heinkel in VR and fly in formation  :cool:  Also the A20 and Me110 and and and... omg.

I might sound like a preacher but everybody who can afford it should jump to it right now ;)

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Exactly. War Thunder proved that VR is not a "nice technologic thing", but a proper -and incredible- way for the daily simming. Even the spotting finaly is not really problematic in VR, even with the old and low res DK2 that can be obtained for 200-300e.

Just when you lose a little faith in the on-line world someone comes along and gifts you BoK which proves the community really isn't as bad as a few loud discussions make it appear sometimes!

Thank you generous person who wishes to remain anonymous!

Every time someone makes a bequest on this forum I feel a little more urge to make one myself. Perhaps when I'm out of uni with a real job :)

I understand the VR thingy, this is why I hesitate doing it. It is not a thing for cockpit setup and yu really can never go back. I like bombers and VR do not work particular well with duties like that. 

One can never go back , so I stay waiting this one out. There is coming a new VR on market with over 200 degree view, I want to wait out and see how that works for flightsim .

But I think it is a good thing for this game to have this working.

I just hope it do not bring too much advantage into the gameplay itself.

Way to go , whoever donated a BOK to Chief, I would do the same if I had not to pay a 4 figured amount on tax for last year. So I limp along barely holding my own. I hope one day I can be helpful in that regard, the more the merrier 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

I just hope it do not bring too much advantage into the gameplay itself.

Situational awareness (other than spotting dots and identifying planes) in the front hemisphere of the plane will improve - but checking 6 and maneuvering your plane whilst having your head/shoulders turned is more difficult than the simple Track IR head movement now.

Its more about immersion than increasing competitiveness right now.

In VR the owl head movements aren't really possible, no. And spotting/IDing distant aircrafts are more difficult, but judging distance and speed is just like irl. Perfect for formations, aiming through the sight and low alt flying.

Same feeling: in VR, you really have to curve your neck for checking your 6 (quite straining!!), and no "head zooming" like track-IR (wich is nice feature...but not realist like real pilots did, by using only their eyes and eventually delicate zooming device that shoot down situationnal awareness). VR seems to be the most realist historical experience at this point. (And for bombers, that should work too LuseKofte??)

...and VR allows to understand why p47 pilots said you can avoid bullets by running inside the laaarge cockpit...the feeling of space is at opposite of the pro-claustrophobic cockpit of the 109!! But this feeling can't be catched on a flat monitor!!

Bombing actually feels quite nice in VR when I tried it in War Thunder. It doesn't have all the settings in bomb view though, so that would probably have to be scaled in towards the middle of the view if it is to work with the current GUI.

About the spotting/head zoom thing, like I said previously in this thread, I would like to have a binoculars feature for current VR gen to help with the spotting ( I think there were some binoculars for pilots (both bombers and fighters) used during WW2).

But still... VR is so enjoyable, and fully usable even without any such feature.
The sense of presence is amazing. Like you say about the feeling of the pit! Oh man, the glass is centimetres away from your face, and the wing stretches out, meter after meter. The feeling of leaning into the gun sight keeping the eyes on the target ahead, and how the cross just comes into focus. Amazing feeling.

Thanks to all VR users here for your experience sharing! One thing I was concerning mostly about VR is motion blur, could anyone share his experience about this? thanks a lot.  :)

Here are some more of my experiences with VR for you:) So far in the rift I have had no experience of motion blur caused by hardware limitations. I have seen a slight glare on the lens in dark areas, but this is only annoying if my glasses/rift lenses have fat on them. Flew night missions in WT and it was completely fine. The issue only shows when you have lots of pure white or very strong light colors on a very dark or pure black surface. In the Vive, small text like guages in the pit can be a bit hard to read without leaning in, but in the rift this is a lot clearer towards the middle of the view, while the edges of the view are a bit less dense in pixels. I find this better for flight/space sims.

Also here with the Oculus Rift - motion blur is not an issue whatsoever. Though sometimes when you look straight left or right and fly low the houses have something like "ghosting" where they look slightly blurry. Could be an fps issue though and doesn't bother me at all.

Also here with the Oculus Rift - motion blur is not an issue whatsoever. Though sometimes when you look straight left or right and fly low the houses have something like "ghosting" where they look slightly blurry. Could be an fps issue though and doesn't bother me at all.

That would be the motion blur effect in game I believe! Much like what the cinematic mode in this game does. Which I kinda like. Feels more "fluent" and organic.

WHAT? You got BOS working with the rift already?

How? I got a CV1 as well.

I was speaking of WT, but actually, yes, to some degree. When I exit the game though my monitor is all black and i have to reboot the PC, so it's not too good. And it lags horribly.

I have gotten it to work in 3 ways. One is with VorpX. Create a VorpX desktop icon and run it. Geometrical 3D mode gives me the background rendered on just one eye but it works without real 3D though with very low FPS.

Virtual Desktop also works in SBS Direct mode if you set the config to or_enable =1, but to get headtracking working you need to run the VD through steamVR instead of Oculus. This leads to quite a lot of lag/ choppy head tracking.

I have tried to use Opentrack with rift SDK to do the tracking for me, but the rift cant stay hooked to both Opentrack and VD at the same time. In summery, the best experience I've got so far is VD with real 3D and no headtracking (+ PC restart after every session)

Nope, I was talking about DCS and War Thunder.

Sorry for being not clear. 

Looking very much forward to play BoS with my Oculus though!

Done. I have to laugh when I see 'can't wait for Pacific Theater.' 777 now has some of us waiting for the thing after the thing we're paying to wait for. Well-earned trust I would say ;)

I am looking forward to playing IL2 in VR. As others have said, there is no going back to a 2D monitor.

There are plenty of examples of VR in combat sims on YT for those who haven't yet tried VR, you might get a sense of the added level of immersion the experience provides.

I have tried both dcs world, and WT. Both give good experiences. and there are plenty of examples of both on You Tube.

Think I'll pre order BOK this weekend, because if VR support is done well, I'm pretty sure it will quickly become my new Favorite, although I would dearly love to see ROF get a VR make over. Ariel combat just doesn't get any more up close and personal.

• Upvote 2

RoF in VR, I hadn't thought of that.  Imagine seeing those big, beautiful kites right up in your face!  :D

• Upvote 2

RoF in VR, I hadn't thought of that.  Imagine seeing those big, beautiful kites right up in your face!  :D

Yeah will be great... Im sure that if will RoF II - we will have WW1 in DX11 with VR. Hope that i will still alive  :coffee:

Edited by I./JG1_Baron
  • Upvote 2

where can someone find aircraft specs for the pre order ie max speed ammo load out climb rate.

Edited by =jg52=yobbo89

Im sure that if will RoF II - we will have WW1 in DX11 with VR. Hope that i will still alive :coffee:

Why wait, you have RoF, right? Throw all RoF planes and maps into IL-2 turn on the Mods ON Mode to enjoy RoF II in DX11 with VR. :P 

check my golden badge out :biggrin: 

New to the B(l)O(c )K, welcome!

Edited by Freycinet

BOK ordered and also Yak-1B, not interested in flying auntie Ju at moment, nor particularly Midway further down the line. But if they do Okinawa and include the BPF and Seafires, then count me in on that one - especially if they do Kamikazes with this game engine!

Edited by PantsPilot

$6.99 for a few new planes and a new map, yes.

$69.99 for a few new planes and a new map, hell no.

$6.99 for a few new planes and a new

map, yes.

$69.99 for a few new planes and a new

map, hell no.

You have some serious studying to do with the realities of life.
  • Upvote 7

6.99 for 10 aircrafts with advanced flight models, a huge area modeled historically correct in great detail? And don't forget we are also paying for a lot of new features, both over and under the hood. If this small community were to pay 7USD for the amount of work that goes into IL-2 the developers would have to live on the street. 7USD is less than a beer on the pub here...

• Upvote 5

$8.98 for a Double Whopper w/ cheese, yes.

(That comes with fries and a drink. No new maps or new planes though.) ;)

Cloyd

Edited by Cloyd
  • Upvote 1

Engine improvements, DX11, VR, new features like cargo paratroopers and torpedoes (potentially), overhauling the campaign.

Do you think those are free? That they dont cost time and money?