[ASOR]Pharoah

Battle of Midway and Battle of Okinawa

I know I'm jumping the gun but I'm so excited about the Pacific campaigns. Just thinking out loud....I'm assuming the plane set for the Battle of Midway would include:

USN

- F4F Wildcat

- SBD Dauntless

- TBD Devastator

- TBF Avenger

vs

IJN

- Mitsubishi A6N

- Aichi D3A (Val)

- Aichi E13A (Jake) - naval recce plane..maybe

- Nakajima B5N (Kate)

I wonder whether this DLC would also include Midway island. The first part of the battle involved the IJN attacking Midway Atoll so if it does, it should really incorporate the a/c based there which included:

- B17E Flying Fortress

- Brewster F4A Buffalo

- Consolidated PBY Catalina

Will 1C invest the time in making a B17? they'd done big twins (JU88, JU52, HE-111) so its not outside the realms of possibility. And that's before we even think about shipping.

re the Battle of Okinawa, the plane set is going to be significant I would expect (incl Corsairs, Hellcats, TBFs, etc not to mention the myriad of a/c the IJN/IJA used).

B-26B, G4M, and H6K could be included for Midway as well.  Having a B-17E would be a dream come true though  :)

As far as Okinawa goes I imagine an all USN/USMC selection featuring the F6F-5, FM-2, Helldiver, Avenger, and F4U as premium.  Japanese would get the  A6M5, Ki-61, Ki-45, D4Y, and Ki-84 as premium.  There are so many aircraft to choose from though its makes it hard to pick!

You're not going to get a B17 any time soon - for a variety of reasons, all of which should be obvious by now. Not to mention it's limited impact on the theater. Not happening.

That said - this is going to be epic. The more time I have to sit with all of this - the more stoked I get.

Carrier Ops with Midway, and those mechanics will get even better and more refined with Okinawa.

The variety and scope of mission types that the Okinawa map will allow has me drooling more and more. Not to mention, like I keep saying the ability to play with the early war plane set from Midway on this map. THAT is going to be fun.

(Need the Betty and Rufe)

There are a few here who think they're not into the Pacific who will change their tune before this is over I think. This is going to be good stuff.

Edited by Gambit21

Regarding the American torpedo planes- Does anyone remember the specifics of what happened when Oleg M. tried to include these planes in the original IL-2?  Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the RL aircraft manufacturer placed some ridiculous limits on any use of these aircraft in the sim.  Has this been changed?

Regarding the American torpedo planes- Does anyone remember the specifics of what happened when Oleg M. tried to include these planes in the original IL-2? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the RL aircraft manufacturer placed some ridiculous limits on any use of these aircraft in the sim. Has this been changed?

Jason made a statement that he is aware of what happend in the past and he has legal backgound which will help to ensure we will receive as complete plane set. He prefers not to dwell on this topic as it is a distraction to the development of IL series.

Edited by Cute_retriever

I am extremely pleased to hear the future plans.  In the end I am a full time supporter of the Franchise and the Devs.  Here are some of my thoughts on this topic.

I think Okinawa would be an odd theater to go to.  As much as I love the plane-set (Corsair, Frank, Jack, A6M5 etc.) that late in the war and there is no way to leverage any Pacific aircraft that cross over into the Eastern Front and vice versa.  Nothing from Kuban, BoM, or BoS would port into Okinawa modules...maybe the Spitfire if it was made into the Seafire...but that is it.  I am also a huge proponent of our beloved Franchise tackling content in a chronological order.  April 1945 for Okinawa seems out of place when the rest of the game is firmly in 1942 and 1943 up to Kuban.

It is my sincere hope that any move into the Pacific, if Midway were the direction, would include either a Papua New Guinea Map or a Solomons Map (Guadalcanal).  Personal preference would be Guadalcanal, but either would allow the P-40, A-20, P-39, to be used freely in scenarios anywhere from 1942 to 1943.

A.  A New Guinea Map would also allow a Port Moresby defense campaign (Aussie P-40s and US P-39s) against A6M2 and A6M3, Betty, D3A, B5N.  This would include Coral Sea since any Midway module includes all the Carrier Aircraft, and since Midway also involved B-26 Marauders AND they figured heavily in the Defense of Moresby and the actions following Coral Sea it would be a wise choice for a second location.  Eventual combatants advancing on Rabaul would include P-38F/G/J, P-47D, B-25 and Ki-61, Ki-43, Ki-45 in addition to the usual landbased IJN bombers and fighters. 

B.  A Solomons/Guadacanal Map allows the defense of Cactus and a Battle of Santa Cruz with the assumed Midway content, as well as the early advances from Guadalcanal toward Rabaul which would imply F4U-1 Birdcage, P-38F, B-25  

I am obviously kidding, and I don't mean to belittle the map makers out there, but a Midway map would take what, 5 minutes to make?  Should be plenty of time for one of these two alternate maps (A or B) to be produced.

Edited by TheElf
  • Upvote 3

It you're adding TBF then you should really consider dropping Jake and adding instead D4Y1 Judy. Japanese dont have a radar (this will really be a game changer on multi) and need fast recce aircraft, Jake neither has range nor speed to do so. 

In regard to collectors, HerrMurf proposed PBY and Betty as collectors which sounds pretty reasonable and I came up with this setup:

A6M2 model 21         -            F4F-4 "Wildcat"

D4Y1 model 11          -            F2A-3 "Buffalo" / TBF-1 "Avenger"
D3A1 model 11          -            SBD-3 "Dauntless"
B5N2 model 21          -            TBD-1 "Devastator"

Collectors:
G4M1  model 11        -            PBY-5A "Catalina"
Edited by =LD=Hiromachi
  • Upvote 1

B17 is actually very important to Midway. I know they did not score any ships but they were important to the battle overall.

Whatever happens we need the Catilina

For Okinawa can we have one of the rocket assisted divine wind piloted bombs please? Could have hours of fun with that lol

B-17 wasnt that important, for the Battle itself, they just flew over fleet and attracted attention of fighters returning from morning attack on the islands. Some machines were slightly damaged, but nothing too serious as Zeros had exhausted their 20 mm ammo when fighting Wildcats and Buffalos. It this terms Catalina was more important providing necessary long range reconnaissance. Or B-26s, when one almost crashed into Akagi bridge (which would result in death of all high rank officers in charge of operation, including Nagumo).

For Okinawa can we have one of the rocket assisted divine wind piloted bombs please? Could have hours of fun with that lol

I want to get  radio controlled flying bombs called "I-Go" : 

ki67ibomb2.jpg

Mitsubishi's radio-controlled Igo-1-A was powered by a rocket motor producing 240kg (530 Ib) of thrust for 75 seconds and was planned to be slung underneath Mitsubishi's Ki-67 Hiryu bomber. Flight trials were carried out in the Autumn of 1944, but the war ended before this weapon was deployed.

The smaller Igo-1-B, also radio-controlled was the responsibility of Kawasaki and was also test flown in late 1944, its 'mother aircraft' was a modified Ki-48-II bomber. Model B's rocket motor generated 150kg (330 Ib) of thrust for 80 seconds. The planned launch platform was going to be Kawasaki's Ki-102b. Though 180 missiles were built non saw service.

The last of the series the Igo-1-C, was designed by the Tokyo Imperial University's Aeronautical Institute and use an acoustic seeker to home in on the noise of enemy warships' guns. 
ki67igo.jpg

Hiromachi, Judy presence was minor during 1942, so I'd prefer Rufe or Jake. USN list seems perfect! Just my opinion, of course.

About Solomons and/or New Guinea, I´d love to see these, but we´re talking about large maps (from Lae to Moresby, or even larger, from Rabaul to the Canal). In the end you´d have to choose between airstarts (immersion killer) or very long flights.

Rufe presence was minor either and it appeared only after Midway, besides, its almost like A6M, just with floats. And Jake has nothing to offer except for its 250 kg bomb. It has no frontal armament and cant hold any prolonged dives making it impossible to dive bomb. It also cant fit as long recce aircraft due to short range, in this case Judy simply exceeds anything available - it managed to reach 2100 nm with droptanks. It's presence indeed was minor, but at the same time interesting and needed. Without a radar Japanese will be a lot more vulnerable and such a long range and fast aircraft will at least give some ability to even the odds. Based on Yokosuka Kokutai report following Indian Ocean events, it was recommended assigning six to nine 13-Shi Carrier Bombers (D4Y1) which were supposed to be assigned aboard each carrier division flagship to operate as high-speed scouts, since air search during Operation C on Indian Ocean had left something to be desired and Japanese "screen" was penetrated by undetected intruders until Zeros could deal with that. Thus, the inclusion of the two D4Ys in Soryu's complement for MI (Midway) was an attempt to meet those recommendations, at least partially. 

Hello all,

I wonder about the effort involved in making a flyable aircraft that few people will want to fly. I'm speaking about the F2A and TBD-1, and to a lesser extent the PBY. While the Buffalo and Devastator were used at Midway, they were so outclassed as to be useful only for committing 'virtual suicide' in the sim. How long will players be willing to fly them? They would be useful as ai kites for historical context, but as flyables? On the other hand, the F2A might be fun and competitive in a Finnish scenario/campaign.

As for the PBY, how many players will be willing to fly 16 hour long patrol missions (my friend's father flew 23 hour patrols over the Atlantic during the ww2). Now they did drop bombs and launch torpedoes in 'Black Cat' missions, but still, how much effort will be required to create the kite as well as realistic water conditions/physics for takeoff and landing? Again, it would be a great ai plane, but perhaps a meh flyable.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see numbers/types of aircraft like we have IL2 1946, but how much effort and time will it take to make them in such a way that they'll be acceptable to the devs, let alone the community?

Good hunting,

=CFC=Conky

Edited by CFC_Conky

I am extremely pleased to hear the future plans.  In the end I am a full time supporter of the Franchise and the Devs.  Here are some of my thoughts on this topic.

I think Okinawa would be an odd theater to go to.  As much as I love the plane-set (Corsair, Frank, Jack, A6M5 etc.) that late in the war and there is no way to leverage any Pacific aircraft that cross over into the Eastern Front and vice versa.  Nothing from Kuban, BoM, or BoS would port into Okinawa modules...maybe the Spitfire if it was made into the Seafire...but that is it.  I am also a huge proponent of our beloved Franchise tackling content in a chronological order.  April 1945 for Okinawa seems out of place when the rest of the game is firmly in 1942 and 1943 up to Kuban.

It is my sincere hope that any move into the Pacific, if Midway were the direction, would include either a Papua New Guinea Map or a Solomons Map (Guadalcanal).  Personal preference would be Guadalcanal, but either would allow the P-40, A-20, P-39, to be used freely in scenarios anywhere from 1942 to 1943.

A.  A New Guinea Map would also allow a Port Moresby defense campaign (Aussie P-40s and US P-39s) against A6M2 and A6M3, Betty, D3A, B5N.  This would include Coral Sea since any Midway module includes all the Carrier Aircraft, and since Midway also involved B-26 Marauders AND they figured heavily in the Defense of Moresby and the actions following Coral Sea it would be a wise choice for a second location.  Eventual combatants advancing on Rabaul would include P-38F/G/J, P-47D, B-25 and Ki-61, Ki-43, Ki-45 in addition to the usual landbased IJN bombers and fighters. 

B.  A Solomons/Guadacanal Map allows the defense of Cactus and a Battle of Santa Cruz with the assumed Midway content, as well as the early advances from Guadalcanal toward Rabaul which would imply F4U-1 Birdcage, P-38F, B-25  

I am obviously kidding, and I don't mean to belittle the map makers out there, but a Midway map would take what, 5 minutes to make?  Should be plenty of time for one of these two alternate maps (A or B) to be produced.

This. sorry to quote so much but you've hit the nail on the head, esp re Guadalcanal. If anyone has read the book on the Cactus air force, you'll see there were quite a few missions flown out of Henderson Field. Wikipedia lists the following US a/c flown out of Henderson Field during that time:

I would dearly love for the Solomon Island campaign to be included as it allows for MP missions involving air, ground and ship attack. This is the summary from the Wikipedia page:

The Cactus Air Force's dive bombers and torpedo planes sank or destroyed 17 large enemy vessels, including one Japanese battleship, one heavy cruiser (the Kinugasa), one light cruiser (the Yura), three destroyers (the Asagiri, Murakumo, and Natsugumo), and twelve transports, possibly sank three destroyers and one heavy cruiser, and heavily damaged 18 other ships, including one heavy cruiser and five light cruisers. Most notable was the battleship Hiei, which the CAF, along with aircraft from the Enterprise, and B-17s from Espiritu Santo, finished off after she had suffered serious damage from American cruisers and destroyers during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.

The fifteen Marine combat squadrons that fought on Guadalcanal during this time suffered from 94 pilots killed or missing-in-action, with another 177 evacuated with wounds or with sickness (especially severe malaria). Total figures for Japanese aerial losses during the Guadalcanal campaign have never been calculated.[59]

The Battle of Guadalcanal would become the defining point for Marine Corps aviation in World War II and for the next fifty years. The great lessons learned for Marine Corps aviation units were the debilitating effects of not having air superiority; the importance of the use of radar; the vulnerability of enemy transport and warship targets; and the vital importance of quickly acquiring expeditionary airfields during amphibious operations.[60]

That's a heck of a lot of damage inflicted.  

Edited by TOGPharoah

Alright... I'm going to take a stab at Okinawa as I've researched that battle pretty extensively. There are tough choices to make for aircraft but here we go!

Allied

- F6F-5 Hellcat - Primary fleet defense fighter of the USN at the time. The F6F-5 is the definitive type during the time period.

- F4U-1D/C Corsair - Heavily used by the USMC both on Okinawa and from carrier decks. The 1D version is standard but the 1C version was also used during the battle. The two are identical except for the 4x20mm cannon armament on the 1C.

- SB2C-3 Helldiver - Primary attack and dive bomber aircraft for the USN. The -3 version solved many of the types problems and was the definitive type at Okinawa and participated in the sinking of the Yamato.

- TBM-3 Avenger - Last major and most produced version of the Avenger. Used at Okinawa as torpedo bomber, level bomber, and attacker with rocket hardpoints and HVAR rockets.

Collector:

- Seafire Mark III - Deployed as part of Taskforce 57, the British Pacific Fleet had four fleet carriers at Okinawa. The RN used the Corsair, Hellcat, Avenger, Seafire, Barracuda and Firefly during the battle. I'd also consider the Firefly too though Seafire vs Zero is a matchup I always like to see and furthermore, represents one of the final air to air combats of WWII. I'd also love it if the RN specific versions of the Corsair was made available. Its functionally similar to the USN version except with a few inches of wing shaved off to fit the narrower elevators on RN fleet carriers. 

Japan

- A6M5a/b/c - Several sub versions of the A6M5 were in heavy use during Okinawa and it was still the Navy's primary fighter.

- D4Y3 "Judy" - Used heavily during the Okinawa campaign as conventional attack and dive bomber aircraft as well as in kamikaze roles.

- Ki-84 "Frank" - A key Army fighter type and an incredible performer.

- Ki-67 "Peggy" - A key Army bomber type used in torpedo and level bombing as well as some kamikaze attacks during the Okinawa battle.

Collector:

- Ki-100-I-Otsu - Used by at least one Sentai located at Kyushu, the Ki-100 was active over Okinawa and it makes a good collector plane. We've not had a Ki-100-I-Otsu flyable since... Aces of the Pacific? I don't remember one showing up since then. It fits the Collector Plane definition well.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Upvote 4

@ Elf and Pharoh - yep

Speaking my language

Fingers crossed.

After the battle of Guadalcanal we move up the Slot steadily towards Rabaul. Good stuff

As for the PBY, how many players will be willing to fly 16 hour long patrol missions (my friend's father flew 23 hour patrols over the Atlantic during the ww2). Now they did drop bombs and launch torpedoes in 'Black Cat' missions, but still, how much effort will be required to create the kite as well as realistic water conditions/physics for takeoff and landing? Again, it would be a great ai plane, but perhaps a meh flyable.

I would absolutely fly long PBY missions!

Last weekend, I flew a 3-hour, then 5-hour seaplane flight back-to-back in X-plane. I routinely fly 3-hour recon patrols in CloD. What limits me is fuel. But otherwise, I will fly to the limits of my aeroplane's endurance.

Seaplanes are what really motivate me. The prospect of seaplanes (either flying boats like the Catalina or, better still, a float plane like a He-115) is what is keeping me "watching this space". The seaplane mechanics in RoF are second to none, and I have spent all my RoF hours in the Brandenburg-W12, Hanriot-HD2 and Felixstowe. A WWII seaplane would be a dream-come-true.

However, I agree with you that it may not happen.

There are definitely no float-variant for the Ju52. There are no seaplanes for Kuban. And it is questionable there will be any for Midway. In his Q&A-session, Jason suggested that they would have to choose between a seaplane and a classic warbird for the collectors planes. I fear I know which way that is likely to go... at least in the first instance. There has been no indication for seaplanes so far in any announcement, yet they are suggesting many other things. At present it does not appear in their plans.

Also, the issue of visibility range remains a show-stopper. The PBY-Catalina excels in the long-range recon. With a limited visibility distance, its usefulness will be crippled. This applies to the other long-range bomber/recon types.

I reckon the PBY would have to be included, esp if we get the Air Marshall or whateveritscalled for MP, which relies on good recon.

Re Okinawa, I wonder if the 1C team would have the cajones to model kamikaze a/c. I remember Oleg steered clear of that for obvious reasons. Unfortunately it was part of the battle.

Re Okinawa, I wonder if the 1C team would have the cajones to model kamikaze a/c. I remember Oleg steered clear of that for obvious reasons. Unfortunately it was part of the battle.

You remember incorrectly. ;) Kamikazes were most certainly a part of the initial Pacific Fighters release. 

• Upvote 1

I would absolutely fly long PBY missions!

Last weekend, I flew a 3-hour, then 5-hour seaplane flight back-to-back in X-plane. I routinely fly 3-hour recon patrols in CloD. What limits me is fuel. But otherwise, I will fly to the limits of my aeroplane's endurance.

Seaplanes are what really motivate me. The prospect of seaplanes (either flying boats like the Catalina or, better still, a float plane like a He-115) is what is keeping me "watching this space". The seaplane mechanics in RoF are second to none, and I have spent all my RoF hours in the Brandenburg-W12, Hanriot-HD2 and Felixstowe. A WWII seaplane would be a dream-come-true.

However, I agree with you that it may not happen.

There are definitely no float-variant for the Ju52. There are no seaplanes for Kuban. And it is questionable there will be any for Midway. In his Q&A-session, Jason suggested that they would have to choose between a seaplane and a classic warbird for the collectors planes. I fear I know which way that is likely to go... at least in the first instance. There has been no indication for seaplanes so far in any announcement, yet they are suggesting many other things. At present it does not appear in their plans.

Also, the issue of visibility range remains a show-stopper. The PBY-Catalina excels in the long-range recon. With a limited visibility distance, its usefulness will be crippled. This applies to the other long-range bomber/recon types.

Ok, that's one player... :cool:

I fly a lot of recon missions in RoF and it would be nice if you could get more credit for them. X-Plane, MSFS, etc might be the best place to fly float/sea planes since they are stand-alone kites and those sims really deliver when it comes to scenery. Who knows, at some point mission-makers might make prangs where recon is relevant. When that happens in this sim I'll be flying recon :biggrin: .

Good hunting,

=CFC=Conky

• Upvote 1

Were they? ok happy to be wrong - I was quite sure Oleg stayed away from it. Ah well, there you go :)

Yep, I recall there being a section in the readme file somewhere about how to set up missions adding kamikazes. 

Yep, I recall there being a section in the readme file somewhere about how to set up missions adding kamikazes. 

Very easy to do that in IL2 1946.

Hello all,

I wonder about the effort involved in making a flyable aircraft that few people will want to fly. I'm speaking about the F2A and TBD-1, and to a lesser extent the PBY. While the Buffalo and Devastator were used at Midway, they were so outclassed as to be useful only for committing 'virtual suicide' in the sim. How long will players be willing to fly them? They would be useful as ai kites for historical context, but as flyables? On the other hand, the F2A might be fun and competitive in a Finnish scenario/campaign.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see numbers/types of aircraft like we have IL2 1946, but how much effort and time will it take to make them in such a way that they'll be acceptable to the devs, let alone the community?

Good hunting,

=CFC=Conky

Mate, I always fly the not so cool planes, and the TBD is a favourite of mine . The Torpedo 8 guys who sacrificed themselves at Midway are my heroes, I'll TBD online.

spud

Japan - A6M5a/b/c - Several sub versions of the A6M5 were in heavy use during Okinawa and it was still the Navy's primary fighter.

- D4Y3 "Judy" - Used heavily during the Okinawa campaign as conventional attack and dive bomber aircraft as well as in kamikaze roles.

- Ki-84 "Frank" - A key Army fighter type and an incredible performer.

- Ki-67 "Peggy" - A key Army bomber type used in torpedo and level bombing as well as some kamikaze attacks during the Okinawa battle.  

Collector: - Ki-100-I-Otsu - Used by at least one Sentai located at Kyushu, the Ki-100 was active over Okinawa and it makes a good collector plane. We've not had a Ki-100-I-Otsu flyable since... Aces of the Pacific? I don't remember one showing up since then. It fits the Collector Plane definition well.

I'd replace something (probably Ki-100) for N1K2-J. 343 Ku participated in all major operations to provide support for operations on Okinawa, not to mention massive clashes over Bungo Straits. And it has never been done properly. Not a single game tried to make realistically its automatic combat flaps. And aircraft is pretty much a legend among aviation fans in Japan.

There is just so much history behind 343 Ku and N1K2-J ...

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi
  • Upvote 1

Again the ships would have to well depicted and act like they would`ve done in the real thing. Effects of taking off and landing on carriers, Evasive manouevers, flak, differing speeds of ships and of course the catastrophic effects of hitting a ship in certain spots. It won`t be complete if just the aircraft are authentic, but the ship stuff is half-assed.

And the sea and land must be done right.

Edited by seafireliv

I'd replace something (probably Ki-100) for N1K2-J. 343 Ku participated in all major operations to provide support for operations on Okinawa, not to mention massive clashes over Bungo Straits. And it has never been done properly. Not a single game tried to make realistically its automatic combat flaps. And aircraft is pretty much a legend among aviation fans in Japan.

There is just so much history behind 343 Ku and N1K2-J ...

That would be a good one as well. I love the N1K series and it is indeed fitting.

Very easy to do that in IL2 1946.

Indeed. I did an entire IL-2 1946 campaign called "Facing the Wind" and it was about defending US ships from kamikaze attacks. They did some serious damage if they got through the fighter screen. It was your job to prevent that from happening. Makes for some harried missions!

Mate, I always fly the not so cool planes, and the TBD is a favourite of mine . The Torpedo 8 guys who sacrificed themselves at Midway are my heroes, I'll TBD online.

spud

So do I spud3030, so do I :cool: . Still, let alone the fact that it participated in very few battles, and wasn't very successful, other than you, me and a few other players (imho), how many times will players be willing to get whacked in it before they move on, never to fly it again? It takes a lot of effort to build a flyable aircraft in this sim, is that effort worth it in the case of the Devastator in the short to mid-term?

Good hunting,

=CFC=Conky

Well, seeing that Jason built the TBD for Pacific Fighters, I'm sure we'll see it here as well. :)

Again the ships would have to well depicted and act like they would`ve done in the real thing. Effects of taking off and landing on carriers, Evasive manouevers, flak, differing speeds of ships and of course the catastrophic effects of hitting a ship in certain spots. It won`t be complete if just the aircraft are authentic, but the ship stuff is half-assed.

And the sea and land must be done right.

I don't think this will be a problem. Jason said a few times in the Q&A the ships are the stars of the show at Midway.

I wonder whether this DLC would also include Midway island. The first part of the battle involved the IJN attacking Midway Atoll so if it does, it should really incorporate the a/c based there which included:

- B17E Flying Fortress

- Brewster F4A Buffalo

- Consolidated PBY Catalina

Will 1C invest the time in making a B17? they'd done big twins (JU88, JU52, HE-111) so its not outside the realms of possibility. And that's before we even think about shipping.

LOL No fault of yours but this just brought back flashbacks of flame wars on old Pacific Fighters boards regarding Midway "not being done right" because of the lack of flyable B-17. Too funny, feels like forever ago, I was like 14 at the time.

Per the planeset- I'm really hoping for flyable torpedo bombers in BoMidway. Something that was lacking back in Pacific Fighters and pre-mods 1946.

yeah I can still remember the day PF came out....memories. I spent the afternoon with others in my squad doing touch n gos and traps. even then I still died many a time after long missions, even with the sea smooth as glass.

I spent most of my time flying bombers or attack a/c (TBD, TBF) when doing PF missions or otherwise in my trusty Beaufighter (I loved that a/c)...4 x 20mm Hispano cannon + 2 250lb (from memory) or 1 big torpedo. My squad (aussie online squad) spent most of our time on a server with the new guinea map. So much fun.

So do I spud3030, so do I :cool: . Still, let alone the fact that it participated in very few battles, and wasn't very successful, other than you, me and a few other players (imho), how many times will players be willing to get whacked in it before they move on, never to fly it again? It takes a lot of effort to build a flyable aircraft in this sim, is that effort worth it in the case of the Devastator in the short to mid-term?

Good hunting,

=CFC=Conky

Assuming they try and represent Coral Sea or at least some of the early parts of the conflict like the raids on the Gilbert and Marshall islands.. we'll have a few more reasons to use the TBD. And I'll definitely fly it... It was a reasonable aircraft faced against impossible odds.

One thing that got me thinking esp re the battle of midway is how will the AI ships be coordinated? I mean, I'm hoping they aren't going to be sailing in a straight line (like in 1946) but actually jink, etc when under attack. Plus, if you find the whole IJN fleet, do they move together? I'm also thinking of how this will work in the MP environment.

One thing that got me thinking esp re the battle of midway is how will the AI ships be coordinated? I mean, I'm hoping they aren't going to be sailing in a straight line (like in 1946) but actually jink, etc when under attack. Plus, if you find the whole IJN fleet, do they move together? I'm also thinking of how this will work in the MP environment.

Though not a certainty, Jason did talk about implementing some AI for the ships that would include evasive action when attacked. Presumably this behavior would be controlled by a mission builder.

My hope is that they would include some of the Japanese mainland for long range bomber missions form Okinawa with B-24s and B-29s. That would be sweet and a dream come true.

To be honest though I don't think we'll see any heavy bombers unless they do a Western European theater.

yeah fair enough. You would assume that the Air Marshall position would be responsible for this (or the 'Admiral'). I guess you would issue turn commands or new waypoints via flags.

All very exciting :)

Assuming they try and represent Coral Sea or at least some of the early parts of the conflict like the raids on the Gilbert and Marshall islands.. we'll have a few more reasons to use the TBD. And I'll definitely fly it... It was a reasonable aircraft faced against impossible odds.

Yup,

Let's hope the devs are more interested in history and 'art' (creatying great kites), that the almighty $ (important too, but shouldn't be an obsession ;) ). If that's the case, we'll be goin' to war in our Buffalos and Devastators  :cool:.

Good hunting,

=CFC=Conky 

Yup,

Let's hope the devs are more interested in history and 'art' (creatying great kites), that the almighty $ (important too, but shouldn't be an obsession ;) ). If that's the case, we'll be goin' to war in our Buffalos and Devastators  :cool:.

Good hunting,

=CFC=Conky 

Oh I'm hoping for Buffalos and Devastators no matter how terrible they are!

From the chat that Jason hosted the other day... He's definitely into the history and the art of this. They need to make money so they can pay people to build these things to the level that we demand them to be these days. I'm ok with that. So long as there is no nickle and diming for stuff I'll be very happy. Yeah they are pricey products but I'm ok with spending $70ish every year or so to get the latest product. That's the same as my monthly cellphone bill :)