La5 vs Lagg vs Yak

-snip-

Dude , we were not referring to you (nor was Klaus or Stig referring to you imo), twas in reference to the post of a guy mentioning aggressive behavior, the conclusion was recommendation to "don't give a flying blin", summa summarum! :)

Edited by 2./JG51_Fenris_Wolf

He does not have any TAW stats.  Perhaps he has not flown there for a while.

It doesn’t matter. He’s got plenty of WoL stats that directly contradict the nonsense that he posted. Why would his TAW stats be any different? It’s not like the Lagg is better on the TAW server.

It doesn’t matter. He’s got plenty of WoL stats that directly contradict the nonsense that he posted. Why would his TAW stats be any different? It’s not like the Lagg is better on the TAW server.

Because on the Wol i use to fly alone and on The Taw my squad is flying each time one side even i use to fly alone also.

Even this month on Wol i have some sorties with yak and mig and were not that bad ha?

I can not fly to much time now so i use to fly the plane i like or the plane i want to test with the new fm and this is the 109.

Edited by E69_geramos109

Some folks prefer football, some folks prefer handball. Some are left handed, some are right handed.

Virtually everyone likes beer, no matter which hand they use to drink.

So consider the latter before you two start fighting over nonsense. Planes work differently, and are capable of different stunts, in different hands. They are all capable in their own sense, even the 202. That's probably the main point to walk away with.

• Upvote 1

Some folks prefer football, some folks prefer handball. Some are left handed, some are right handed.

Virtually everyone likes beer, no matter which hand they use to drink.

So consider the latter before you two start fighting over nonsense. Planes work differently, and are capable of different stunts, in different hands. They are all capable in their own sense, even the 202. That's probably the main point to walk away with.

Lol. It’s not the plane, it’s the pilot. Said the pilot in the superior plane. The guy in the crappy plane was unable to respond, because he was dead.

• Upvote 2

I think people under-estimate the feel of a plane. Some planes just feel bad. The La-5 really just feels terrible to me. I don't like the cockpit, I don't like the guns, I don't really like it's flight characteristics. It's engine is sort of a mess of levers and cowls. It's only good within a very specific window. 

I was fighting a 109 last night on WoL and we were pretty stalemated. He was high and faster, I was lower and on his 6 most of the time. He'd rope a dope, I'd dodge, he'd extend, rope a dope again...dodge...extend....over and over. He made some mistakes I felt I could have capitalized on had I not been in an La-5.

As far as the debate between Geronemos' position that the Russian planes are overpowered/unrealistically good...I mean, I did used to agree with this, but now that I fly Russia fairly often, it's pretty clear to me that most pilots who only ever fly the 109 are mostly leaning on their far superior plane and are a measure of skill inferior to many Russian pilots; Russian planes are absolute trash compared to the F4/G2 with the exception of the Yak-1B which I'd say is equal. 

Edited by GridiroN

I think people under-estimate the feel of a plane. Some planes just feel bad. The La-5 really just feels terrible to me. I don't like the cockpit, I don't like the guns, I don't really like it's flight characteristics. It's engine is sort of a mess of levers and cowls. It's only good within a very specific window. 

I was fighting a 109 last night on WoL and we were pretty stalemated. He was high and faster, I was lower and on his 6 most of the time. He'd rope a dope, I'd dodge, he'd extend, rope a dope again...dodge...extend....over and over. He made some mistakes I felt I could have capitalized on had I not been in an La-5.

As far as the debate between Geronemos' position that the Russian planes are overpowered/unrealistically good...I mean, I did used to agree with this, but now that I fly Russia fairly often, it's pretty clear to me that most pilots who only ever fly the 109 are mostly leaning on their far superior plane and are a measure of skill inferior to many Russian pilots; Russian planes are absolute trash compared to the F4/G2 with the exception of the Yak-1B which I'd say is equal. 

Can you explain how can a person in a right mind think that russian fighters are op? Honest questoion.  It takes a special kind of luftwinner tool

Edited by Max_Damage

Let's look at your WoL. Most of your kills come from VVS...you're kills and goose eggs on Luftwaffe look like the rest of people who fly German.lots of goose eggs with many of hits and no kills...

Lol. You should probably take another look at my 109/190 stats. Try looking beyond page 1.

Most of my kills are in VVS aircraft because I’m forced to play VVS most of the time because the sides are usually stacked. Look at k/d. I’m relatively certain that it’s significantly better when I’m in a 190, and it’s an aircraft that I rarely get to fly.

I was going to mock you for getting killed all the time when you fly VVS, but upon review it looks like you die all the time no matter what you fly. Maybe flight sims aren’t your thing.

Haha sorry I'm not here to be number 1. I didnt play for a month and hopped in a Yak and two consecutive sorties with kills.....You have to admit VVS is almost easy mode now.

[Edited]

Edited by Bearcat

You have to admit VVS is almost easy mode now.

Sorry, but that is complete nonsense. I’ve been flying the 190 a little recently. THAT is as close to easy mode as you will get in this game. Well, as close as most people will get to easy mode.

I didnt play for a month and hopped in a Yak and two consecutive sorties with kills....

I looked back several months. Not just 2 sorties. You rarely survive no matter what you are flying.

Isn't this supposed to be La5 vs Lagg vs Yak? No idea why some people want to score pathetic internet points off each other, just ruins some posts on the forum.

It's typical Fighter Talk and one of the Reasons I don not much care for them. They are a nuissance more than anything. 

That's why I affiliate more with the Ground Pounder Side of things, we measure our Richards in Units of Usefulness to the War Effort which I find far more desirable. 

I myself find a lot of pleasure in the Destruction of Tanks with obsolete Aircraft. 

• Upvote 1

This thread reinforces my thought that online stats should be private unless the user chooses to make them public.

It does the opposite for me.  If someone is going to carry on about what an awesome killing machine the Lagg is and that it should be nerfed, they'd better have some kick ass Lagg stats compare to what they do in the 109.  

• Upvote 1

It does the opposite for me. If someone is going to carry on about what an awesome killing machine the Lagg is and that it should be nerfed, they'd better have some kick ass Lagg stats compare to what they do in the 109.

Rambo where are you ? :P setup up ,don't be shy ;)

I have a difficult time to imagine why anyone would rate the Lagg above a later 109 in performance. Both in RL and in game. If someone in some dueling server has found a way to consistently beat 109's with it - either there's a hefty skill-level difference between the lagg and 109 pilots or that someone in a lagg has found a bug to exploit and should report it as one.

In regards to stat shaming, "your mother" jokes are more classy so let's just skip right to those if we just have to go low.

I'll take a MiG-3 with the two 50 cals in the nose over any of those planes.  Although, I am still trying to solve the La-5 enigma.  Once I crack that, I suspect it'll become my new favorite red bird.

I took my new La-5 up to 3-4k against some 109s and was surprised by how well it performed at what should be its worst alt.   A little later I took a Mig-3 to 6k, where it should be in its element ,  and did some testing with a friend in a 109 and was surprised by how unhappy the Mig was.  

I find the LAGG a very challenging plane to fight in. You cannot out-turn the 109 f4. You cannot outrun it, you cannot out-climb it. On the other hand the rolling characteristics feel unrealistic. The plane rolls so well at medium speeds. On the other hand it is very rewarding to have kills in inferior plane such as the Lagg. In the LaGG you feel that the engine is underpowered. Nevertheless the energy retention after a dive into a zoom climb is insane.

Rambo and Elanski are the best Lagg pilots I know.

As for the La 5, the roll-rate is even better than the Lagg. However it has also the speed and the horse power you need. The only way to get an edge over 109 is in rolling scissors. And only a few guys can do it properly. Favn and Koks are the best La5 pilot I know. Go find them in Berloga and you will see and will have an example to learn from.

Those planes in capable hands are a joy to fly. Nevertheless it is not easy as rolling scissors require superior skills and flying technique that 90% of the simmers do not have.

The La 5 and Lagg have to be used as energy fighters against the Germans. In the first place tthat means do not try to out-turn them. On the other hand the Yak 1 can be used also as angles fighter against the Germans.  Yak 1b is even better.

As in a Yak 1 you cannot chase  109 f4 but you can in Yak 1b and in a La 5.

There are much more VVS pilots in Yak 1b as they have more freedom between angles and energy tactics. The only thing they cannot do is catch a German in a sustained climb.

What LW pilots feel is overpowered is that the VVS pilots can dive up to 750 km/h. In the old il 2 46  Yaks start loosing parts at 650 km/h, that is where it comes from.

Also all VVS planes are too good in energy retention making German zoom climbs less effective as the VVS keep up very well in the pure zoom climb. And a Lagg needs 1 bullet from the 23 mm to tear you apart. And right now the 109 locks more at high speed than the VVS planes, making diving attacks problematic.

What the new patch brings is that the ball is not centered anymore automatically and pilots need bigger deal of attention to fly coordinated.

Right now in this game in my opinion there is only one overpowered plane and it is The Spit. It can make 6 g turn with flaps at 400 km/h. And is also capable to make hard 360 turns with almost no energy loss.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

Regarding the psychology. The ACE SYNDROME does exist and it is a bad condition and no one is immune. You are in danger when you actually get better in the game.
It is when you do not have any satisfaction anymore by your victories (successes) and feel really bad when getting shot down. Even if it is simulated reality the emotions are real. The only prevention is to know that this condition does exist and realize it in order to gain some psychological distance.

Most of the time when you get shot down it is not because the other plane is overpowered but because of a mistake. And on some occasions you get shot down anyway because anyone can be shot down. Just look at the stats there is a kill to death ratio, and it is always a ratio because death is no zero.

And it is more complicated than that because you can get addicted to the emotions. Actually this is a whole domain of psychological research. As sometimes a normal working day at the office is not offering the spectrum of emotions you can get in a sortie on Wings of liberty. The joy, the despair, the anger. The dark side and the light.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

I find the LAGG a very challenging plane to fight in. You cannot out-turn the 109 f4. You cannot outrun it, you cannot out-climb it. On the other hand the rolling characteristics feel unrealistic. The plane rolls so well at medium speeds. On the other hand it is very rewarding to have kills in inferior plane such as the Lagg. In the LaGG you feel that the engine is underpowered. Nevertheless the energy retention after a dive into a zoom climb is insane.

As for the La 5, the roll-rate is even better than the Lagg. However it has also the speed and the horse power you need. The only way to get an edge over 109 is in rolling scissors. And only a few guys can do it properly. Favn and Koks are the best La5 pilot I know. Go find them in Berloga and you will see and will have an example to learn from.

Those planes in capable hands are a joy to fly. Nevertheless it is not easy as rolling scissors require superior skills and flying technique that 90% of the simmers do not have.

The La 5 and Lagg have to be used as energy fighters against the Germans. In the first place tthat means do not try to out-turn them. On the other hand the Yak 1 can be used also as angles fighter against the Germans.  Yak 1b is even better.

As in a Yak 1 you cannot chase  109 f4 but you can in Yak 1b and in a La 5.

There are much more VVS pilots in Yak 1b as they have more freedom between angles and energy tactics. The only thing they cannot do is catch a German in a sustained climb.

What LW pilots feel is overpowered is that the VVS pilots can dive up to 750 km/h. In the old il 2 46  Yaks start loosing parts at 650 km/h, that is where it comes from.

Also all VVS planes are too good in energy retention making German zoom climbs less effective as the VVS keep up very well in the pure zoom climb. And a Lagg needs 1 bullet from the 23 mm to tear you apart. And right now the 109 locks more at high speed than the VVS planes, making diving attacks problematic.

What the new patch brings is that the ball is not centered anymore automatically and pilots need bigger deal of attention to fly coordinated.

Right now in this game in my opinion there is only one overpowered plane and it is The Spit. It can make 6 g turn with flaps at 400 km/h. And is also capable to make hard 360 turns with almost no energy loss.

None of this means jack, until i see your stats...

Dont get mad at me. For all I know, you might just have a case of "the feels". Hang out around these forums long enough and you'll know what I mean.

But I'll try to be constructive. I wonder if they would still be good in the Lagg if they werent able to use the flaps from 0% to 100% in a matter of seconds. 

Yes they still will be very good if "they weren't able to use the flaps from 0% to 100% in a matter of seconds". There is a qualitative difference in piloting skills, they are excellent pilots. The same goes for Vachik, Bender,(their case is particular as they combine excellent team tactics to pilot skills for awesome results), Kirill,AK47,Archangel ZAMM etc, etc. ,  and all the reds in the leader boards they are so many. Those guys know what they are doing, they are excellent pilots.

Those guys are qualitatively better pilots. The flight model in BoS is such that increases the difference between an average  pilot and excellent pilot. To shoot them down you need to surprise them.

There are very, very very few guys that are able to dogfight good Russian pilots. That is why the guys from 9/JG27 bring so much attention to them because they did something that almost nobody considered possible, to beat the best of reds at their own game, close quarter dogfight.

On the other hand there are red pilots flying even a Spit but a brief glance of how they fly tells me that I can out-turn them in the right circumstances  with my 109 f4.

Just an example. How many pilots know how to do a Slow Roll?

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

Unfortunately when you post generalisations like this the rest of your posts just get ignored as luftwhining.    I have not flown all the VVS fighters but I can assure you that Spits, Yaks & Migs can lose parts diving at over 650 kph and while the La-5 & Mig-3 might reach 650 without losing parts they will both lock up.  The La-5 is very slow to pull out at 650 and the Mig will just lock completely and never pull out.   To make your statements even worse,  I have had this occur many times while chasing a 109 that was not just pulling away, ie going faster, but able to pull out and climb again while I was breaking up or not even able to level out.   PS the VNE of the 109 below 3000 was about 750kph and that is not the max dive speed, just the IAS that it was definitely safe to dive at. The version we have easily does that 

If you want to complain that certain models of 109 will break up or lock up before certain VVS fighters then by all means post that then people can look to see what the reality is.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Upvote 1

I've rediscovered LAGG just recently and now I'm truly enjoying learning and more and more with it. It always attracted me with the firepower but its seeming twitchiness and instability at low speeds was really the problem with my flying style. It took me 3 months and now I'm on the road to recovery.

LA5 is great in chasing and climbing but its super creaky noise during turn fights makes me anxious, I feel like I'm on some rickety wooden pirate ship with its masts bending under heavy winds and about to give way and snap. Seriously, that noise, is the only reason I hate flying it but if on mute it's indeed an awesome machine.

I use yak1b to chase the pesky 109 space fighters who just want to climb and climb and climb. If doing it right the yak1b can really give the 109's a good run for their money, including 190's as well by the way.

I find the La-5 to be the definition of a fighter pilot's plane: fast, manoeuvrable in roll, sustained and instantaneous turn, durable, great firepower, and since the FM updates very predictable in handling too.

It's everything a fighter needs to be, and it rewards you if you fly it to its strengths.

Unfortunately when you post generalisations like this the rest of your posts just get ignored as luftwhining.

Actually it is a piece of usefull information for LW pilots. They should not count on outdiving reds unless at 6 k. Actually if a red plane  is behind me (you for example) I will try to outmaneuver it and kill it from behind. Even if I fail it is much more satisfying than being shot trying to run.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

Actually it is a piece of usefull information for LW pilots. They should not count on outdiving reds unless at 6 k. Actually if a red plane  is behind me (you for example) I will try to outmaneuver it and kill it from behind. Even if I fail it is much more satisfying than being shot trying to run.

You don't need to be at 6k to dive away from a VVS aircraft.  Obviously it's true that you can't outrun the bullets, but let's not exxagerate.

Yes they still will be very good if "they weren't able to use the flaps from 0% to 100% in a matter of seconds".

Yes, lets talk flaps.  How do you explain how a 109 pilot can be travelling at 700+ kph and "crank" in flaps with the handwheel?  And how far down can he put them at those speeds before they incur damage? 20 degrees? 30 degrees?   The Yak flaps are pneumatic, so thats a bit different.  For VVS aircraft that have flaps that must be cranked down just like the 109, how are they more "magic" than on the 109's?

Edited by Iceworm

What LW pilots feel is overpowered is that the VVS pilots can dive up to 750 km/h. In the old il 2 46 Yaks start loosing parts at 650 km/h, that is where it comes from.

Let's not forget how Davidred suddenly disappeared, not to be seen after his beloved 109 stabilizer exploit was removed.

Edited by boaty_McBoatface
  • Upvote 1

Yes, lets talk flaps.  How do you explain how a 109 pilot can be travelling at 700+ kph and "crank" in flaps with the handwheel?  And how far down can he put them at those speeds before they incur damage? 20 degrees? 30 degrees?   The Yak flaps are pneumatic, so thats a bit different.  For VVS aircraft that have flaps that must be cranked down just like the 109, how are they more "magic" than on the 109's?

Probably because of German engineering. VVS flaps are just magic.

Got a question for you. How is it possible to manage oil and water radiators at the same time in VVS? This really applies to all the planes though. You would need a third arm to pull that off or more magic.