Luft1942

So what was said during today's Q&A with Jason?

All that is needed are some dedicated map makers and some collector planes and you can get any theatre you want.

And a bunch of people creating new ground objects, like vehicles, buildings, ground textures, vegetation and maybe a ship or two. Assuming that the theatre can't just use the ground objects currently avaliable (basically true for any theatre that's not on the eastern front).

Now if the devs would have the ability to extract vehicles etc. from CloD, that would probably make it easier, but i'm not sure if they would be allowed to do so and let people use it in a modded map.

Thanks Jason for the discussion, listened to the entire thing overnight and will be sharing it as far and as wide as possible.

I hope to see the Western Front someday, but I am looking forward to Kuban with the Spit, A20 etc and the Pacific. I cannot wait to fly the Wildcat in this sim :). I do hope when we get to Okinawa we shall see the BPF with an armored Illustrious class carrier or two, hopefully the damage modeling will be up to snuff as the US carriers suffered greatly from Kamakize attacks the Brit carriers took an hour or two to become operational again, but again this a long way off.

Nice BPF video:

• Upvote 1

There was an British presence in the Pacific.  Not at Midway but at Okinowa .  Jason said he was open to adding the British task force of 4 British carriers that took part in that battle.  Seafires anyone?

Edited by SYN_Mike77
  • Upvote 2

They'd just be duplicating the theater that someone else is doing right now.

Not really. On the plus side, 1CGS will probably complete map 2 for the MTO before "someone else" does it.

• Upvote 1

That's really it though. They'd just be duplicating the theater that someone else is doing right now. It makes sense. They have better historical research and data for the Eastern Front and Pacific too.

I took part in yesterdays Q & A session and when asked why they were not going to N. Africa this was essentially Jason's answer.

There was an British presence in the Pacific.  Not at Midway but at Okinowa .  Jason said he was open to adding the British task force of 4 British carriers that took part in that battle.  Seafires anyone?

When I heard that I got pretty excited actually.

Model a British Illustrious carrier and we're most of the way there.

There wasn't a ton of difference between the RN Corsairs (slightly clipped wings) and Avengers. A Seafire and/or Firefly would give us some flavour. It'd be great.

I would have thought that Burma could be more interesting: gets the Japanese Army Airforce types involved, plus a greater range of UK/US designs.

Not sure that endlessly trying to intercept Kamikazes would be much fun.

I'm still working through the recorded version.   Enjoying it very much, but was just a little disturbed at the idea that an Okinawa map might be the next expansion instead of Midway.  Releasing theatres in reverse order with new chapters featuring downgraded aircraft is a classic 777 mistake.  An early to mid PTO chapter with 43/44/45 scenarios after will attract more customers as they seek new and higher performing aircraft.

• Upvote 2

I took part in yesterdays Q & A session and when asked why they were not going to N. Africa this was essentially Jason's answer.

Right, that's where I heard that. He als had a high opinion of how well TF was working. So think about it

Not only would 1CGS be making the same scenario as a competitor, theirs sells for $9.99

Not really. On the plus side, 1CGS will probably complete map 2 for the MTO before "someone else" does it.

It was definaly an important factor for jason to mention it during the Q&A you seen it coming.

Jason does not want to compete against any good existing games or mods to hinder his sales or

affect TF devs.

What he said made perfect sense.

All very noble... but there will be people who do not want or like CloD, and wish to fly an Africa scenario using their favourite WWII game using the BoS engine and flight dynamics?

They are pretty much out in the cold.

• Upvote 1

All very noble... but there will be people who do not want or like CloD, and wish to fly an Africa scenario using their favourite WWII game using the BoS engine and flight dynamics?

They are pretty much out in the cold.

Oh gee i hope you don't get hypothermia. But the same can be said for anyone who has a favorite battle - especially since they are making one at a time. Be happy that at least TF is doing your favorite scenario.

In-game it was probably my favourite and I was still happy to take the Model 21 well into the 1945 scenarios.  You had to be hyper aggressive in it to succeed, but the trick was to know when to get out fast before you got forced onto the defensive.

Always liked the look of the Zero... would hate to have flown one in combat though!

It's a cool plane. I guess the lack of self sealing fuel tanks and armor makes it particularly dangerous to fight in!

In game I would love to fly it though, seeing that we have respawns :biggrin:

What he said made perfect sense.

No, it doesn't. CloD sucks and 1CGS will probably release 3 new maps in the time it takes TF to do 1.

• Upvote 4

All that is needed are some dedicated map makers and some collector planes and you can get any theatre you want.

That would seem to be the ideal situation... however we know from reading Jason's many recent posts that it is not an easy process to bring about.

*Cough* Channel Map *cough*. Bringing that terrain to 1942 rather than 1918 looks like something a competent mod team could do... Maybe not big enough for BoB scenario, but for patrol clashes in 1942-43?

Edited by Trupobaw

Jason already stated that it's not a simple matter to just get someone else to do other maps... plus, he's already said that time and manpower is a factor in producing any extra aircraft outside of what is already proposed... unfortunately 

*Cough* Channel Map *cough*. Bringing that terrain to 1942 rather than 1918 looks like something a competent mod team could do... Maybe not big enough for BoB scenario, but for patrol clashes in 1942-43?

When I saw the channel map that was my first thought trio. That they were going to use it for a WWII sim too :-D

Sadly it doesn't make much sense for WWI...

No, it doesn't. CloD sucks and 1CGS will probably release 3 new maps in the time it takes TF to do 1.

From a business standpoint Med/N Africa makes as much sense as them doing the Battle of Britain.

Yeah it's an unknown how well TF will do with that venture but it's still out there. They would be sharing the market with a $10 game that's been free modded to be quite good. Or good enough.

And I understand completely about avoiding the Western Front. It's just technically impossible for a flight sim game to capture.

So let's go to the Pacific!

Edited by SharpeXB

Say what you want, but the fact that we've spent so much time discussing PTO in quite a few threads when there was far more said about Kuban speaks for itself. There is an interest in PTO.

• Upvote 1

What surprised me was that the odessa map will come AFTER BOM???

It looks like its closer than that from Zeus's pictures.

It's knd of like a commander, with intelligence I tell and tools to relay tactical information to the units in the field, kind of like a Tactical operation center. With access to assets

Would be cool if having the assets,required successful recon flights.

I think most people realise after trying to fly with 8 111s around that skies full of B-17s are impossible. Smaller scale tactical battles in the Western European theatre are also quite interesting and doable. I really don't care either way though as I have the toys I want already. Everything else Med, PTO, Western Europe is all the same interesting for me. I was just saying Western Europe can be done.

I think most people realise after trying to fly with 8 111s around that skies full of B-17s are impossible. 

I really hope we get this changed with Dx 11 and proper code optimization. 

.From a business standpoint Med/N Africa makes as much sense as them doing the Battle of Britain!

Sorry, but that is ridiculous. Med/NA could be marketed to many countries and it's something that no one has done. TF is not a serious developer. It's a bunch of guys who took a disaster and turned it into less of a disaster. I want the Med done by a serious developer. I know why they're doing the Pacific, but CloD should not have been a factor.

I get that. I mean by the same logic they shouldn't have done Moscow, Stalingrad, Kuban or the Pacific because it's all been done by 1cgs and Team Diadolos before. I don't think they would never do Med I just think they have other places they want to go first.

Sorry, but that is ridiculous. Med/NA could be marketed to many countries and it's something that no one has done. TF is not a serious developer. It's a bunch of guys who took a disaster and turned it into less of a disaster. I want the Med done by a serious developer. I know why they're doing the Pacific, but CloD should not have been a factor.

I get the impression Jason's taken the decision not to compete with CLoD, not as a business decision per se, but as a way of keeping an already fractious community from becoming more fractured and more combative.

Just imagine the [Edited] if 1C-777 had decided to announce an Africa addon a matter of weeks after TF's Torbruk announcement.

There's no real economic reason for 1C-777 to stay away from the med or Africa, but there's certainly sound political reasoning behind the decision. 

Edited by Bearcat
Profanity
  • Upvote 4

Just imagine the [Edited] if 1C-777 had decided to announce an Africa addon a matter of weeks after TF's Torbruk announcement.

Why would you expect that to be a problem? The people who like CloD would be happy. The people who like the DN engine would be happy. The people who like both would be thrilled.

Edited by Bearcat

The people who like CloD already started one [Edited] if 1C-777 would do a MTO expansion they would do another one. i'm sure about it

Edited by Bearcat
  • Upvote 1

There's no real economic reason for 1C-777 to stay away from the med or Africa, but there's certainly sound political reasoning behind the decision. 

I would even argue that there is an economic reason.

As far as I know the TF patch will be free. As Jason admitted, we they need all the sales they can get because the project is on a tight budget.

Competing against a free alternative (for those who own CLOD) or really cheap one (CLOD is $9.99 on Steam right now) is not the smartest decision.

On top of that, we have the shitstorm you mentioned.

I think they did the right thing, even though I was the first one who wanted the Med.

And the TF patch will surely be earlier on start, so everyone can try it and look if he is satisfied with it. And if so, why pay the bucks for BOA.

Well I think that's pretty much what Jason said. And that many people consider TF to be a near developer.

Personally I agree with you. But I can see why Jason & 1C have to factor this in.

There are lots of reasons back and forth but the simple fact is that we're a very small niche market with very high demands. Its a difficult space to play in and its easier if you can make nice in some situations. I didn't think that Team Fusion's North Africa announcement would amount to anything either but Jason said they factored it in and they thought Pacific was the better choice for them overall.

May also have missed the interesting part about research. Research is important... Especially for a simulator. He says he and others on the team have excellent research done for the Pacific, the team has excellent research done on the Eastern Front. They don't have the research done on a North Africa/Italy scenario. They could certainly do it but its a serious body of work that you need to amass.

Bottom line is that not one factor but multiple factors are involved in the decision making process and for the team, the Pacific is the next best place for them to go after. And that's just fine.

Excited for the pacific theatre! Personally I'm skipping Moscow but will def be a customer for PTO.

Btw for all the team fusion haters... I did not like clod either till I gave it a fair shake, of course it's not perfect (what sim is?) but it's really very fun... I say this as someone who owns BOS and clod but basically flies clod exclusively now... Well until we have PTO :)

I'm with you on that one Feathered, Midway should go first.

Midway should come first, maybe with another map besides just Midway to expand the scope a bit, even if its a generic map with a few islands.

Okinawa offers the scope - better follow up just for that reason

Then Battle of the Solomons - then announce the next theater when that is announced.

Damn I'm smart ;)