• Please log in to reply
1103 replies to this topic

#1 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:04

POPULAR

Dear Friends,

It is my honor and pleasure to announce our current and future plans for the modern IL-2 Sturmovik Series. As you know we have released Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow and now we are ready to announce - THE BATTLE OF KUBAN! In addition to creating the Battle of Kuban we will be adding several new technologies, gameplay modes and community centered features to the Sturmovik series that will setup future titles based in the Pacific theater. We see the further development of the Sturmovik series as a marathon and not a sprint. We hope you will continue to support us and cheer us on the entire way as we make, what we consider to be, our shared vision a reality. More on our bigger vision further below.

To produce Battle of Kuban we have adopted a sixteen (16) month development plan that will culminate with its final release in December 2017. The plan is packed with new features, improvements, changes and new content. Battle of Kuban (BOK) will be available for Pre-Order in the coming weeks with a discounted price for early purchasers. An early-access program will also be available for pre-order purchasers as we have done in the past. You will not have to wait long to start experiencing new content and further improvements to the Sturmovik universe.

The Battle of Kuban provides a unique opportunity for us as a development team and for you as a customer. The Kuban theater offers some beautiful and varied scenery and interesting aircraft including Western Lend-Lease designs that played an important role not only the Kuban area, but all across the Eastern Front. The Kuban also helps the development team by providing an ocean environment for larger ships and other watercraft to do battle which will help prepare us for our eventual move to the Pacific theater.

BOK_Cover_EN_S.jpg

Announcing Battle of Kuban and Development Plan!

Now that the announcement is out I will try to comment on different areas of concern or make other general comments to give context to our plan.

Decision Context:

First, let me just say that we gave this decision to make Kuban a lot of thought and you must remember that our team does not have the resources to do parallel development. We have to make one product at a time. This is sad, but true. So, we were forced to develop a plan that can:

1. Improve the core product (engine, technology) and add in new, missing or wanted features.

2. Develop content that can bridge the gap between East and West and push us towards a future Pacific title.

We think this plan accomplished that and puts our IL-2 back into the domain of the original IL-2 which so many still love.

This plan can take us outward for almost 5 years. Then we can make more content to take us out to 10 years. The original IL-2 is still relevant in the genre so we hope to also make our IL-2 relevant for a long time as well. Assuming the man-machine singularity hasn't happened by that point.

ROF:

We also still love ROF and I hope at some point we can bring ROF to the new engine and re-release it as a new title with some more planes. I just don't have a way to do that yet and can't make any sort of promise. ROF players will probably be mad at me, but ROF is still an AMAZING sim and in some ways is still better than the current IL-2. I'll keep trying.

Market Support:

I feel like I am back in 2010 trying to keep Rise of Flight alive. It's 2016 and the same damn challenges remain before us as a team. The same question still haunts me - Can the market support a hardcore flight-sim? Yes it can, but it's not easy. I know the market for this kind of simulation is still big enough to ensure future titles, but we need everyone who is even remotely interested to buy in. If everyone who initially bought into BOS bought into BOK direct from on our website over the next couple months we'd be fine and guarantee another product will come. But there has been some decline in customers willing to make a purchase or they wait for Steam sales. I'm sure I know why, but now with our new plan we hope that interest will pick up and more direct purchases will come. A direct purchase from us now, helps us much more than a Steam purchase later. Steam takes a huge chunk of the money and the net revenue is no where near as much if you buy direct from us. Steam is great for pumping up numbers of players, but direct purchases has the most immediate impact and sustains us. 

Bottom line is that we need your continued business and financial support for us to make our entire plan or more become a reality. If I sound desperate or like a beggar I don't care. A big part of your hobby is at risk and will continue to be at risk for a long time without your support. We can't change the past. All we can do now is try to give you a combat-sim product you asked for and will love. Please help spread the word and if you can afford to buy in please do so.

And we appreciate ALL our past, current and future customers and we will continue to fight on as we always do.

Stuff we'd like to make eventually but not in plan maybe future products:

There are several things we'd like to make that are not in the plan as of now. We always have to make tough choices, but if we can be more successful we can maybe find a way. Some examples.

1. Female Soviet Pilot Model.

2. Re-vamp of GUI t0 be more thematic.

3. Hyperlobby-like interface for COOP Mode.

4. Italian Radio Chatter. (possible with sound mod)

5. Deep dive into AI decision making.

Some answers to questions we've received:

1. Do you plan to do external jettisonable fuel tanks?

We hope to, but we do not know when and this is part of engineers domain. Right now they focus on more urgent matters.

2. Do you plan to do new Collector planes in the process of BOK development?
No, the plan is full, but after BOK work is done, I hope to add a couple more before we go to tropical Pacific paradise. But only possible if we finish work early and can squeeze in.

3. Can you explain in more detail about the Re-vamped Triple Monitor Support?
Just can say hope to make it proper instead of crop screen like we do now. This could be hard hit on framerate, but Lead Programmer has this task in his schedule. Maybe DX11 gives a performance boost to manage 3 renderers at once to draw environment.

4. When do you open the pre-order?
Soon, within next couple weeks, maybe sooner.

5. Can you explain in more detail about Air Marshall and Field Marshall modes for MP? Will it be available only in multiplayer?
It is indeed an MP only feature. It is so the battles can be more closely managed and have some organization which I think will boost MP participation. Part of the problem of current MP is too many lone wolves, not enough squad action and too hard to find targets without labels on. Also, there is no human air traffic control, no human GCI, no new vectors given to players once in air, no recon reports to paint a picture of the battle like in real life. There are some really talented community members with real life military comms experience that could make MP battles much more fun by giving orders to squads of planes or tanks. The information given to the Marshall will be based on real-life limitations like visual ranges etc. This will not be a screen with massive amounts of information. For instance, if recon unit destroyed, Marshall loses that info. Having a good Marshall on your team is another factor that can lead to victory. And the Marshall screen will be optional for server operators. I think it will be popular though. I'll try to explain it in better detail a little later on.

6. When you can show us new BOK map?
Not for a few months I am sure. WIP.

7. Do you plan to do hydroplanes?
Not right now, but obviously Kuban and Pacific are great places to use them. I have to discuss with Han on any possibilities that could make it a reality before the Pacific. It was a lot of work to do it in ROF and I'm sure a lot of work for BOS/M/K.

8. When you make DX11 do you plan to support Oculus Rift?
Yes we need DX11 before we can support VR properly (Rift, Vive). Won't probably be ready for a few months more though. DX11 tech new for us so we are just now learning about the possibilities.

9. Do you plan to do lighting bombs?
You mean flash bombs or flares? No sure I understand completely.

10. Do you plan to do new player controlled tanks?
No new player controlled tanks in the plan. Maybe we will add a commander position to existing tanks. Tank experiment not hugely popular feature. Maybe with more tanks it would be, but no money or time to build more tanks.

More comments to come...

#2 PA-Sniv

PA-Sniv
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:15

Houhouuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great guys!!!!!

"We believe in nothing, Lebowski..."

#3 Voidhunger

Voidhunger
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:16

Yes! its here!

i5-4670k@4.4Ghz, Z87-G45, 16GB Crucial ballistix DDR3 2133Mhz, Palit GTX 980 Super jetstream, Crucial MX100 256 SSD, TrackIR5, Win10 64

Yak1b_zpsr0h3cnxx.png

#4 =TBAS=Tripwire

=TBAS=Tripwire
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:18

Awesome!

i7-7700k @ 4.8 | 16GB RAM | GTX1080ti | M2 SSD | TrackIR4 | HTC Vive | MSFFB2 + Joytokey | MFG Crosswind Pedals

#5 =TBAS=Capt_Yorkshire

=TBAS=Capt_Yorkshire

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:20

NICE!

#6 Cpt_Cool

Cpt_Cool

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:20

U da man Jason

#7 Veteran66

Veteran66
  • Tester

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:23

nice

but air combat over north Africa and Mediterran would have been my first wish :(

we can make own Maps as Mods?

Singleplayer Missions here:

Download_from_www.mission4today.com

VeteranenMissions

#8 Luft1942

Luft1942

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:25

Great news! Does this mean Battle of Moscow and Stalingrad will get DX11 when Kuban releases or sooner? Also, if the engine allows it will we see larger textures in BoS as well or just Kuban?

"Only in the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." - Adolf Galland

#9 BlitzPig_EL

BlitzPig_EL

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:26

Outstanding!

Finishing the war in the East (for now I assume) with one of the best maps ever, and a great planeset too.

Then, The Pacific.

Well played sir, well played.

8wxp.jpg

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov

#10 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:27

F**k yes Jason.

"Nineteen years of age, eight years public education, three years military service. Intelligent, normally observant and answered all questions freely. He was arrogant and proud to be a pilot. Fellow prisoners in hospital consider him mentally unstable..."

#11 Saurer

Saurer
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:29

I am very much looking forward to it

#12 Voidhunger

Voidhunger
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:29

Excellent news! Thanks for the ROF-like career mode!

...but I expected improved version of La5 :(

i5-4670k@4.4Ghz, Z87-G45, 16GB Crucial ballistix DDR3 2133Mhz, Palit GTX 980 Super jetstream, Crucial MX100 256 SSD, TrackIR5, Win10 64

Yak1b_zpsr0h3cnxx.png

#13 II/JG17_HerrMurf

II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:30

Much as I had envisioned it. Kudos and TAKE MY MONEY!!!

PS: I intend to start learning how to make airfield items. First up will be a hand portable Luftwaffe start cart. I have a physical model already.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf, 08 September 2016 - 14:31.

If the argument against expanding to the Western Front is simply the Luftwaffe was overwhelmed and defeated then there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to the late war Eastern Front either. 

Falcon NW Talon, Z97 Ranger, Intel i5 4670, 32 gb RAM, nVidia GTX 780ti, Hotas Warthog with 10cm extension, MFG Crosswind, Track ir5, 42" Sharp TV/Monitor 60 hrz, Self designed PVC center mount cockpit, PVC collective for DCS helicopters

#14 Zami

Zami
  • Tester

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:31

I think the plan is awesome! Glad it's finally published.

New Kuban theater will be very interesting with all those lend lease planes and sea action. Moving to the Pacific after it is definitely a right move. And the list of new features is
very impressive, among others the SP side will get the improvements it deserves.

I think there's everything I hoped for. Thanks guys!

Intel 6700k@4.6Ghz // Asus z170 Pro Gaming // 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz DDR4 // GTX 1080 // Crucial MX100 256GB SSD // 34" Dell U3415W 3440x1440 // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Saitek X-52 // Win10-64bit
14423869.jpg14423870.jpg

#15 I./ZG1_Panzerbar

I./ZG1_Panzerbar
  • Founder

Bf110G-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 (1).JPG

ETlXp.png
Messerschmitt Bf110F-2 supporter

"I've got ten friends who'll buy it in two weeks - be sure!" (С)

#16 papaflo

papaflo
  • Founder

Great News!

Thank you very much!

:salute:

Flo

intel i7 7700k@4,5Ghz watercooled with be-Quiet Silent Loop 240, GSkill Aegis 16 GB DDR4 Ram@2800Mhz, GigaByte GA-Z270-Gaming K3, Gainward Phantom GTX 970, 
TM Warthog throttle and stick (with 7,5cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind pedals, Saitek yoke, Saitek throttle quadrant x 2, Saitek trimm wheel, Gametrix KW 908 Jetseat, TrackIR 5 

#17 II/JG17_HerrMurf

II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:32

Great news! Does this mean Battle of Moscow and Stalingrad will get DX11 when Kuban releases or sooner? Also, if the engine allows it will we see larger textures in BoS as well or just Kuban?

It all operates from the same launcher. So, in short, yes.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf, 08 September 2016 - 14:33.

If the argument against expanding to the Western Front is simply the Luftwaffe was overwhelmed and defeated then there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to the late war Eastern Front either. 

Falcon NW Talon, Z97 Ranger, Intel i5 4670, 32 gb RAM, nVidia GTX 780ti, Hotas Warthog with 10cm extension, MFG Crosswind, Track ir5, 42" Sharp TV/Monitor 60 hrz, Self designed PVC center mount cockpit, PVC collective for DCS helicopters

#18 smink1701

smink1701
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:35

Thanks Jason.  I'm in :salute:

Intel® Core™ i7 930 (4x 2.80GHz/8MB L3 Cache), 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600-Corsair, GeForce 770 GTX SC, ASUS P6X58D-E, 1000 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-1000HX, Asus 27" Monitor, TrackIr 5, Thrustmaster T Flight Stick X, Windows 7 Home Premium

#19 Bearfoot

Bearfoot

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:35

- Support for Tacview
- Cargo Drops and Paratroopers for Ju-52
- Torpedoes
- Warships (Destroyer, Cargo ships, Submarines, Torpedo boats, Landing Barge)
- Air Marshall and Field Marshall modes for MP. (i.e. HQ-ATC-GCI type screen to manage a battle with realistic limited info)
- VR (with existing GUI)
- Move to the Pacific Theater and build a first-class simulation of Carrier Warfare which dominated that theater.

Fantastic! 

FANTASTIC!

You had me at "Dear Friends", and "Carrier Warfare" sealed the deal.

Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Team IL2 Sturmovik!

#20 A-E-Hartmann

A-E-Hartmann
  • Tester

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:36

Nice!

Great news .

Posted Image

#21 I./JG21-HeTzeR

I./JG21-HeTzeR
  • Founder

Hooolly Sh**t! :D 

#22 II./JG77_Manu*

II./JG77_Manu*
  • Founder

YEEES.

Sea, mountains and crimea :)

Kobra  :biggrin:

A5  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Ente Ente Ente (Hs 129)  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Another IL2 :wacko:   :lol:  :lol:

DX 11!!!! :salute:  :salute:

Preorder check  :thank_you:

#23 Buglord

Buglord
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:37

Yahoo a A20.....with torps :)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#24 StG2_Manfred

StG2_Manfred
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:37

Sounds like a good plan!

Looking forward, thx.

#25 Luft1942

Luft1942

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:38

It all operates from the same launcher. So, in short, yes.

Woohoo!! Yesssss!!! :D this is awesome

"Only in the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." - Adolf Galland

#26 Deschain

Deschain

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:40

Launch preorders so i can throw some money at you

planka_blue.png

#27 Fern

Fern

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:42

Can we get an idea of the map coverage please? Will Kerch be the center of the map? Thanks.

#28 6./ZG26_McKvack

6./ZG26_McKvack
  • Founder

Freaking amazing!!! Everything I read in this announcements is awesome! Especially the RoF career for IL-2.

And supply drops/paratroopers for Ju-52, torpedoes... So many new mission types we will see and the aircraft set + future plans are great. Great to see some more planes from the west and continuing on the eastern front. 

Day 1 supporter here! :) 

#29 Zettman

Zettman
  • Founder

Would have preferred Africa or Med, but Bf110 G-2 and Kobra sound great.

Zettman

Mainboard: ASUS X-99A , Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.4GHz, Memory: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz, Graphics card: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 with EKWB Waterblock, Monitor: LG 34UM95-P (3440x1440@60Hz), TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift CV1

#30 Gunsmith86

Gunsmith86
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:43

Realy looking forward to it!!!

#31 Yankee_One

Yankee_One
  • Founder

You have my support

Great news.

Pacific theatre fantastic

#32 Vig

Vig
  • Founder

Thanks Jason, I'm in for the long haul.

#33 I./ZG1_Panzerbar

I./ZG1_Panzerbar
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:44

Would have preferred Africa or Med, but Bf110 G-2 and Kobra sound great.

Zettman

Joking? What could be better?

Bf110 + Wasps + Kuban !!

youtube.com/watch?v=-ibbE6VyEbc

ETlXp.png
Messerschmitt Bf110F-2 supporter

"I've got ten friends who'll buy it in two weeks - be sure!" (С)

#34 jeanba

jeanba
  • Founder

Quite interesting !

#35 216th_Peterla

216th_Peterla
  • Founder

Just awesome. Maybe I'll elaborate later but just big kudos for the team and the new approach. The clearer the better.
I'm in.

#36 Buglord

Buglord
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:45

Also the co-op will please a lot of people :)

#37 [TWB]Jizzo

[TWB]Jizzo
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:45

Yiiiiiiiihhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :D

Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff!  :drinks:

#38 SYN_Haashashin

SYN_Haashashin

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:46

Excellent news!!!

Cant simply wait to take off from a carrier with this engine :salute: , 2 or so years from now but meanwhile I will learn to use torpedoes in Kuban :)

As others said...take my money!!!

www.syndicatesquadron.org

#39 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:46

Genuinely excited by this. Very pleased with the direction we're going. :)

#40 TunaEatsLion

TunaEatsLion
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2016 - 14:47

Good stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users