Sign in to follow this  
JG5_Zesphr

How do you counter the 190A-3's constant want to stall?

Hello, I'm going to start by saying I'm by a long way not the best pilot but I do know my way around an aircraft. Recently I bought the 190 in the sale but I'm finding it a lot more challenging to fly than expected. Unlike the 109 which is rather pleasant to fly and I can do alright in, the 190 is proving to be a pain. I've tried going against AI of all skills (in both campaign and quick missions) and the only way I can have a constant chance of success is if I start with a rather large height advantage. My problem comes with the fact I am no able to manoeuvre the 190 without it suddenly snapping in to a stall even with a small push back on the stick. I try going in to rolling scissors and the likes when in a close dogfight, focusing more on the roll but I always end up messing up by stalling with no warning. So if there's any tip exept from "Jst keep to BnZ" it would be really appreciated  

In my opinion it's really difficult to control the 190 with a desktop joystick. I have an extension of 40 cm on my warthog and it's mounted on the floor between my legs.

Even so I have had to set a curve of 50 and make my input really gentle and smooth and I still snap-stall out of recoverable control on occasion. But with this set-up
I can turn quite well both in horizontal and vertical manoeuvres. To sharp and you will bleed off to much speed and speed is the key to survive in the 190.

This is just my feelings and I do believe that the quick and nasty stall is slightly off, but it's a "feeling" nothing else. 

• Upvote 1

If you want to turn sharply, beware to keep your flight symetrical. When pulling on the stick in a left or vertical turn, you have to apply a noticeable amount of left rudder. Not so much on a horizontal right turn.

Same thing goes when rolling or scissoring, you have to be precise on your rudder input to take out the best of the plane. Best way to practice is offline, spawn at 6000m and go into all kind of maneuvers, paying a close attention at the ball and keeping it centered the best you can. Also watch your speed as under 300kph it is really easy to stall the plane for little reasons. With habit of flying the plane, you'll be able to make quicker manoeuvers and sharper turns, but that will require quite a few hours flying.

That being said, in a dogfight without advantage, you'll mostly loose against all Russian fighters if they have an idea of what they are doing. They will end up behind you after a few manoeuvers and then, even with scissors, if you manage to make them overshoot you, they'll usually go into a sharp flaps climb and get back on your 6.

Best to extend away (unless it's a La5), or call a friend.

For joystick settings, I use a curve of 40 on the pitch axis, 30 on roll axis and 80 on the rudder axis. I don't have any problem flying the plane and not stalling (when I do it's only due to my own mistakes, or a cheesed wing).

Getting effective with it is another story.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the tips, will probably start looking into a squadron soon for people to play with 

I took the fw190 out for a flight yesterday on DED normal. Normally I fly on the Soviet side, and get slaughtered. With the 190 I got one kill and got in trouble only once. One fly out isn't worth much as far as stats, but one thing I noticed is that in a furball setting, a fast slashing plane like the fw190 is a useful tool for the team, even if it doesn't get kills by itself. When you dive on a yak, it has to veer sharply out of the way, or get shredded by the powerful armament of the fw190. After that, that yak is dead meat for the bf109s flying lower.

In one occasion I decided to stick in a dogfight. I soon had a freshly spawned high-energy yak coming on my 6. I tried a sudden split-S when I noticed the yak was catching up on me quickly, but I ended up stalling instead. Conveniently, that caused the yak to overshoot and saved me. I still had enough altitude to recover and regain speed.

Getting the plane in a stall at 300kph or slower is very easy, I can understand why people complain, and I hope there's something wrong with that and that it will be fixed. But above 600kph, the plane is a joy to fly. Unlike other planes it's still very maneuverable and its control surfaces remain solidly attached to the plane.

During the matches between Italians and French squadrons, I remember reading a bit of complaining from the French side, flying Russians. The Italians (flying Germans) were winning matches a little too easily to Frenchies' taste, and the culprit seemed to be the fw190. Capable of taking heavy bombloads, it was very effective as a ground attack plane. Faster than the IL-2, it was able to destroy targets at a higher rate. It was also capable of defending itself if intercepted. It could also fly interception missions on the way back.

Overall, it seems the fw190 is not a very good 1v1 dogfighter in the game, and although I don't know if that's realistic or not, I think the plane can play an important role in a coordinated team. It has a lot of high-damage ammo, decent ground attack capabilities, decent fighter capabilities, excellent intercepting.

• Upvote 2

Overall, it seems the fw190 is not a very good 1v1 dogfighter in the game, and although I don't know if that's realistic or not, I think the plane can play an important role in a coordinated team. It has a lot of high-damage ammo, decent ground attack capabilities, decent fighter capabilities, excellent intercepting.

+1 

I think that's a nice summary of the plane.

• Upvote 1

Yea It des seem teamwork is the key, I'll have to grind out the bombs and just go Jabo for a bit 

No need for grinding anymore, just enter your profile on the official Homepage (click the Big Il2 logo at the top of the Forum) with your logindata you use for the gmae, and on the right theres a point called activate unlocks, and you get all weapons/skins for all planes  ;)

and yes , going alone is quite difficult in the 190 vs good pilots ,also the fcked up renderdistance of 10 km is plain shit when up at 7k, not sure if its a ball around the plane or a cylinder ,if ball - 7k would mean you can spot only in a 3 km circle directly underneath which is blocked by wing and belly  :(

• Upvote 1

No need for grinding anymore, just enter your profile on the official Homepage (click the Big Il2 logo at the top of the Forum) with your logindata you use for the gmae, and on the right theres a point called activate unlocks, and you get all weapons/skins for all planes  ;)

and yes , going alone is quite difficult in the 190 vs good pilots ,also the fcked up renderdistance of 10 km is plain shit when up at 7k, not sure if its a ball around the plane or a cylinder ,if ball - 7k would mean you can spot only in a 3 km circle directly underneath which is blocked by wing and belly   :(

The activate unlocks button doesn't seem to be there :(

Check the unlocks in the plane setup menu...you should have all of them, and the skins now.

Ahh they are, must be the WoL server side locking them 

Trim helps a lot too. When doing most maneuvers i set my stab trim to about 33%. It helps make it so the pitch inputs at low speed don't throw it into a stall as fast. I can actually point the nose of the 190 at below stall speed in maneuvers like a hammer head quite easily with small control inputs.

Otherwise I drop it to keep the nose level when flying straight or slightly nose down when diving. 

I also dropped the pitch sensitivity to 24%. It makes every other plane feel a little soft but for me at least it makes the 190 feel super sharp and responsive without being too snappy.

In a 1v1 co energy fight you want to fly in straight lines as much as possible. Try to keep speed over 330 kph and don't do immelmann vertical maneuvers like a 109, rather chandelle turns to get small gains in altitude while maintaining speed and changing direction. Once turned towards the enemy keep avoiding the head on and doing a small climb.

If you're gaining an advantage you can either do a bigger climb to position yourself so for the next head on he cant pull his guns up on you, or you can try to cut off his turn around in a snapshot pass.

If you're not gaining an advantage you need to use the 190's horsepower and run as soon as you sense you're losing. Pulling up for a zoom climb after the first head and turn around until hitting about 200 kph and then flattening out and going full power has gotten me out of some bad situations before. The enemy usually burn a lot of speed trying to do a flat 180 turn and doesn't have the speed to catch up. Doesn't work so much for I16's though haha

Hope that helps. BoS needs more Fw 190 pilots

• Upvote 1

Be careful of using an S curve on pitch... While it will help you in more precise aiming near the center of the stick, it will hurt you the further you get away from it due to the exponential increase.

When you do have to turn harder and ride the edge of the aircraft's envelope, with linear you have consistent input control of the elevators, where with an S curve 5 degrees of actual extra pitch input might equal 20 degrees or more for in game input, causing you to grossly exceed an acceptable angle of attack.

I recommend a truly linear control input on pitch (straight line) for best results if you wanna get down and dirty with the 190.

Good hunting! Salute

I have found that if you have a joystick that flaps about back and forth once you pull back and let it go, it will be unnaturally hard to control planes in Bos. I found that the stiffest possible setting is best. Just make sure to clamp the stick assembly to your desk. And also, flat curve for pitch is preferred for this bird.

Edited by Smok