exhausted

Poll: Expansion Modules

Which Theater Module Should Come After Stalingrad?  

693 members have voted

1. 1. Which Theater Module Should Come After Stalingrad?

• Poland, 1939
    • Low Countries, including France, 1940
    • Britain and Channel, 1940-1944
    • Barbarossa, 1941-1942
    • North Africa, and Mediterranean, 1941-1944
    • Aleutians, 1942-1943
    • Crimean Penninsula, 1942-1944
    • Winter War and Continuation War, 1939-1944
    • New Guinea, Bismarck Sea, Coral Sea, Solomon Islands, 1942-1944
    • Philipines, 1941-1942, 1944-1945
    • Western Europe, 1944-1945
    • Fall of Berlin, 1945
    • Norway 1940

The future is, uh- well, in the future, but it's never too early to take a poll on what people would like to see as far as expansion/sequels are concerned.

In this poll you get to choose which theater you would like you see done after Stalingrad. Now I'm not perfect, but I'm keeping this strictly to World War II/GPW, and these are theaters I think were important, but if I leave one out then Cut Me Some Slack.

You may vote more than once, I just ask for integrity and honesty. In other words, don't vote for them all, only vote for the ones you REALLY want to see so bad that 777 should put tons of resources into it.

Voted for Channel 1940-44, Barbarossa & Med as these are the scenarios I would be by far the most interested in

Early - mid war is where it's at for me!

• Upvote 1

IF they can adapt their ROF channel map as re use 3d models from previous titles  the Channel would be an easy one for them.

Other wise new theatres like Noth Africa  and  New Guinea for me. Of course it depends on how big their maps can be. Both my choices cover large areas and may be too big to do in one go. 

=

IF they can adapt their ROF channel map as re use 3d models from previous titles  the Channel would be an easy one for them.

Other wise new theatres like Noth Africa  and  New Guinea for me. Of course it depends on how big their maps can be. Both my choices cover large areas and may be too big to do in one go. 

Maybe resources from Theatre of War can be used?

Based on what they have already I'd say the Channel and then the Med...

Anything Eastern Front is fine, but Kursk 1943 would be special.

• Upvote 3

Kursk 43 would need a lot of tanks driving around though...I still think the Med makes a lot of sense.

1st - Barbarossa,

2nd - Fall of Berlin,

3rd - Mediterranean.

I don`t like jumping from one theater of operations to another but very different. I think that the game really needs to first have a complete theater planeset, so any of us can choose what they like (especially by that I mean bomber boys). So it if is USSR, we go fursther into USSR, and then into Reichsverteidigung. 

If the first ToOp was say La Manche/France, then the obvious 2nd choice would be Mediterranean.

1st - Barbarossa,

2nd - Fall of Berlin,

3rd - Mediterranean.

I don`t like jumping from one theater of operations to another but very different. I think that the game really needs to first have a complete theater planeset, so any of us can choose what they like (especially by that I mean bomber boys). So it if is USSR, we go fursther into USSR, and then into Reichsverteidigung. 

If the first ToOp was say La Manche/France, then the obvious 2nd choice would be Mediterranean.

That late war stuff is boring beyond believe, had that already in so many sims. Something new would be rather refreshing than constant repetions.

Edited by VaeTibi

Guess what, you just criticised Battle of Stalingrad. We`ve had that before, don`t you think?

Winter- and continuation war to me, finn here :) Afrika and med comes second.

What, no East African campaign? No Gladiators, Wellesleys,  Hartebees and Ju 86s (!) fighting SM.79s and CR-42s?  :angry:

Just kidding. Western Europe would be nice, but maybe impractical map-wise. The Med sounds good, and more Eastern front would suit me fine too. The Pacific Theatre is probably a way off, development wise, considering the number of new aircraft needed to do it justice. I think what I'm saying is - anywhere...  :D

Khalhin Gol,Norway/Murmansk

And a working BoB with Coop

Edited by 6BLBirdDog

I would like to add Spanish Civil War 1936-1939

and all the european and mediterranean theaters consecutively.

Edited by Tte. Costa
  • Upvote 1

1. Unternehmen Zitadelle

2. North Africa

3. anything else

How about Burma / Flying Tigers????

This. Give us that poll option please.

Voted BoF/BoB for now, still... must - have - Flying Tigers!

Been waiting too many years for BOB.. It arrived, kinda, but not really, now I'm still waiting..

(I'm going to grow to old and not be able to install/understand computers if I have to wait much longer)

Edited by JG26_EZ
  • Upvote 1

The air battle for Malta. Good manageable map size. Useful aircraft that are interchangeable with other scenarios. Plenty of action.

• Upvote 1

I honestly don't really care what theatre gets made after Stalingrad. Personally, if BOS is a success then whatever.....we can get modules one by one. If the game is good. Hell, Spanish civil war, continuation war, flying tigers, invasion of Poland, Med, Africa, Pacific. Just bring it on :D

Anything Eastern Front is fine, but Kursk 1943 would be special.

Depends on the map - a well done "Kursk" map(s) is critical. The ones in stock Il-2 were terrible.

Aslo, if they want to link the progression of BoS to future expansions then a good Kharkov map woould be my choice before Kursk.

Edited by 4./JG53_Wotan

Western Europe 44-45 is an interesting time, Kursk 43 is too, but Mediterranean would be really interesting. Winter War/Continuation War is also really interesting.

All are good because of a wide selection of aircraft and opportunities for fighter, tactical and strategic type activities rolled into one theatre and a fairly balanced setup for both teams. Things like Poland are interesting as a curiosity but it's very much a one sided scenario with a battle lasting days and the Polish air force giving a good account of themselves despite being totally overwhelmed in technology and capability... but it's ultimately futile. Anyone played online with Bf109 versus P.11 in IL-2? Everyone leaves the server :) I'm not saying it's not interesting... just not a great ground for a varied and interesting experience.

• Upvote 1

Yes we need Pacific conflict , honestly the African campaign is different in what way? Same planes - different skins. Woopee doo. Oh and dessert.

Pacific you have whole new aircraft and battleships .

The desert has Luftwaffe, RAF, USAAF, RA, SAAF, I think RAAF so that's another point in its favour. That said, I'd be interested in anything they come out with.

And if its carrier aircraft you want, what's wrong with the good old Ark Royal and a flight or two of Swordfish (apart from looks, an appalling lack of speed, poor armament, and low survivability in a WW2 environment)?

As I thought. No comeback!

I would like to add Spanish Civil War 1936-1939

and all the european and mediterranean theaters consecutively.

SCW would definantly be interesting to see.

North Africa. 

Why?

1. It hasn't been done before.

2. You can reuse a lot of the aircraft from Stalingrad (all of the German ones + Lendlease Hurricane and P-40 if they're included).

To continue the case for North Africa, you could also leverage the work from CloD if they allow it. Both the British aircraft and the work they did on Italian stuff could go into the game.

Interesting thought ,with the new Channel map soon to be released for RoF , if the Aircraft set could be imported without too much reworking from Cliffs of Dover,bit of work on a copy the New Channel Map to bring it up to 1939/40,ie: Airbases ,port modifications moving vehicles &  railway stock all stolen from the Clod objects in mission builder . Two sellable addons for BoS could be done ,BoF &  BoB possibly in quick succession .Would definately genorate plenty of cash to fund future projects

This seriously makes me wonder why in hell we are waiting on a Stalingrad sim instead. North Africa clearly had it 3 years ago, and still does today!

This seriously makes me wonder why in hell we are waiting on a Stalingrad sim instead. North Africa clearly had it 3 years ago, and still does today!

The question asked was "Which Theater Module Should Come After Stalingrad" - so we don't know how many would have voted for it if it had been an option. I think the real answer for 'why Stalingrad' was practicality - 1C had already done a lot of 3D modelling for CloD and BoM, which can apparently be imported, rather than starting from scratch. Then there is the issue of map size: 'North Africa, and Mediterranean, 1941-1944' covers a lot of territory (and aircraft) and might well stretch things too far for an initial release planned this soon. And then there's the issue of releasing yet another 'IL-2'-branded game with no Sturmoviks...

For me Winter War and Continuation War, 1939-1944, would be my prefered theatre.  Also probably the most logical next step as most of the aircraft will be done already, would just need a B-239 and Fokker DXXI adding.

The Med would then be my next favourite.

All the best, Pete. :D

When it comes to the Mediterranean and especially the Desert everyone in Spits VS 109s who knows me at all know that when it comes to this theater I tend to be a little excesive to put it mildly so please don't get mad I just want to make a little promotion on how fun it can. It's a funny thing. I notice that when a Desert map comes up sometimes quite a few fliers will leave, maybe because of the F4 Spitfire Mk.V match up but the F4 was a great aeroplane but so was the Spitfire Mk.V  If you are skilled you can dogfight in an F4, zoom, anything you like. I've seen many P-40s and Spitfire Mk.Vs kill many F4s though  You can also see! Aeroplanes show up against the Desert floor. Anyway this is probably my favorite IL-2 movie of all time, it shows IL-2 at it's best with accuate skins for the aces using some addons for sound the people and train etc but all of the flying aeroplanes and map are strictly IL-2. Not to bad for a 2003 IL-2 Forgotten Battles based game. I can only imagine what a new game would look like :) The Desert Dogfighter by Wolf Biscuits. I really hope I spelled that right I haven't seen him around for ages.

Edited by Richie

.. PTO , carriers and all that

If they can pull something like that without major hiccups ..... then we truly have IL2 1946 successor

reg

Z

• Upvote 1