smink1701

New Theater Announced Tomorrow??

I just hope they Pull away from the Russian front ` . 

Italy would be welcome .

Yep, could not agree more, lets get away from the Eastern Front... they have had two go's at it now so lets move on and give fans of other theatres some love.

Finishing up the russian front sounds logical, but it's going to be a buzz kill.

It will turn away many players that are so crucial now (according to Jason).

So be consistent with your words, if you want to increase sales to keep the genre going, dont turn people away with yet ANOTHER eastern front theatre.

Edit: also, i dont think current players would be as turned off if they switch theatres, so the upside is clear.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

I don't think that lend-lease P39s, Spitfires and A20s would turn away anybody :P

Finishing the eastern front with a focus on western planes makes the most sense and would please many people.

Edit: I really don't care what they have decided, these devs know whats cool and I know that I'll love whatever theatre they put me in

Edited by NachtJaeger110
  • Upvote 3

nope, finish up the Russian front with Kuban before you head off to some other theater

So do you think BOM has been successful . ?

I don't think that lend-lease P39s, Spitfires and A20s would turn away anybody

But would another Russian front expansion, even if they have all those planes, really attract new players which don't already own BoS and/or BoM? The goal should never be to not turn people away, but to attract more people. I don't think the BoM managed to do that or that a "Battle of Kuban" or similar expansions would actually achieve that, even if i would personally buy that anyhow.

Adding a western front theatre (which could easily have the Spitfire and A20 at least out of those three planes) would more likely attract new people and many of those planes could still be used on the Russian front maps.

But we'll see what they do.

So do you think BOM has been successful . ?

Are you kidding? Battle of Moscow is da BoM! HAHAHAHAHA!

Sometimes I just kill myself hahaha :)

• Upvote 2

A Lend-Lease module would not be a bad idea. A Russian map with mostly Western aircraft, and maybe a late IL2 model. That makes everyone except the Pacific fans happy.

Finishing up the russian front sounds logical, but it's going to be a buzz kill.

I actually dont see that argument that eastern front. You cant end something that doesn't end right where some think it does. Kuban led to further events and war didn't really end until Berlin was captured. Right after Kuban Kursk or any other major events happening on the eastern front during 1943 could be set. 

Kuban is a very interesting air battle and map would certainly be entertaining. But any idea that Kuban will finish something is nonsense. 

I don't think that lend-lease P39s, Spitfires and A20s would turn away anybody

Well, P-40 wasnt nearly as successful as some expected it to be. I personally would find Hurricane more fun in BoM realities even though personally I dont regret getting P-40. Its a Pityhawk but still one of my favorite warbirds. But thats a different story. 

and maybe a late IL2 model.

Not sure about that one, there were already complains in regard to BoM Il-2/Pe-2 that its selling again almost same models. 

Afaik, I dont think there is anything to argue about. Jason stated that they are already set for next and one after it expansions so decisions were made. Now its waiting for approval and money seems so. 

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi
  • Upvote 1

I actually dont see that argument that eastern front. You cant end something that doesn't end right where some think it does. Kuban led to further events and war didn't really end until Berlin was captured. Right after Kuban Kursk or any other major events happening on the eastern front during 1943 could be set.

Kuban is a very interesting air battle and map would certainly be entertaining. But any idea that Kuban will finish something is nonsense.

I never said anything about Kuban, or that a single release of BOX would end the eastern front.

Your words, not mine.

What i said is that more eastern front may not attract people who weren't excited about BOS or BOM and may even burn some people out.

A new theatre may add new people and excite current customers at the same time.

I never said anything about Kuban, or that a single release of BOX would end the eastern front. Your words, not mine.

I didnt say you said, I quoted you because that was last post related to that issue.

What i said is that more eastern front may not attract people who weren't excited about BOS or BOM and may even burn some people out. A new theatre may add new people and excite current customers at the same time.

With this I agree.  

What ever the case they need to think on this one , I think they should go for some other theatre that no other combat flight sim has touched .

Don`t forget other sims too `who are in the process .

Its very clear that there still is a lot of interest in flight sims . which makes me happy .

What ever the case they need to think on this one , I think they should go for some other theatre that no other combat flight sim has touched .

They need broad appeal which means familiar theatres (which I've no issue with). I wouldn't be massively enthused about another Eastern Front release but it's probably the path of least resistance for now. If they're continuing along that route I'd like to see their roadmap for what else is coming down the line. I'm thinking at this point that they'll go Eastern Front with lend lease aircraft featuring prominently followed by a Western Front release that re-uses some of those aircraft. The Med would probably make a good choice.

Before diversifying and splitting relatively small playerbase to all different theatres, I wish 1CGS would make big improvements on "online campaign" type of gameplay, consisting of several battles adjoined or chained them together as a major campaign.

The word on the steet is, next theatre  will be  Leningrad, Gulf of Finland, Carelian Isthmus spiced up with Murmansk arctic warfare - having Luftwaffe, Finnish Air Force & Naval ships, Russian Air Force & Naval ships, so many lend-lease stuff (and poor British Navy vessels on Murmansk) =P

For all you guys hoping for the Pacific, just remember that it will likely have to be an all Army affair, at least for the US.

You old timers here know why.

And I'm fine with that.  Boomerangs, Wirraways, P 40s, P 39s, P 38s, P 47s, over New Guinea would be quite nice.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

I can imagine that most likely a Murmansk scenario will be the next theater to come, as most of the airplanes we already have with BoS/BoM would directly fit; only a few additional planes would be required (Hurricane, Airacobra, P-40)...

I can imagine that most likely a Murmansk scenario will be the next theater to come, as most of the airplanes we already have with BoS/BoM would directly fit; only a few additional planes would be required (Hurricane, Airacobra, P-40)...

Pretty sure this one is taken care of ;)

For all you guys hoping for the Pacific, just remember that it will likely have to be an all Army affair, at least for the US.

You old timers here know why.

And I'm fine with that. Boomerangs, Wirraways, P 40s, P 39s, P 38s, P 47s, over New Guinea would be quite nice.

This has been gone over many times and is just not true. Done through proper channels, all of the Northrop Grumman aircraft will be present. Those other titles blatantly disregarded the proper channels, were warned about copyright issues, said Eff U, then got curb stomped. Corgi, Robert Taylor, Osprey Publishing and Revell do not pay NG royalties for the models and images they produce.

Simply put, dont try to make it look like NG sponsors your game and you can do all of the artistic representation you'd like. And have your lawyers call my lawyers to talk about it first. Both sides will want to protect their assets.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Upvote 2

Why, just why are all people so obsessed by getting more more more of everything, i think a good first step would be to bring the existing stuff to a perfect state, otherwise it will be soon like a know f2p wannabe simulator that promised bombercockpits for years and nothing happened, instead they brought like 10 more bombers without cockpit

and also, theres no need for full planesets, single planes to buy would be enough, a 15€ price sounds way more interesting to many people than a pack of 8 or 10 for 50/80€ , in some 300 hours ive dont even touched some planes i have available

I really hope so.....

And maybe a Leningrad map (if DX11 will let them model all the buildings?).

I definitely think a Lend Lease DLC would go along way to appease the masses.

I personally would like to see a Malta map, we pretty much have most of the planes, just need to Trop them up add an SM79 and throw in some ships and torpedoes! 

It's all really pointless conjecture until the announcement is finally made. I personally don't care where we go next because anywhere will kick ass. I am more interested in Eastern Front but I definitely wouldn't kill myself if we went somewhere else this time.

The waiting for an announcement is what's destroying my life. Every day before bed I check the announcement section only to cry myself to sleep at night. I know I'm not the only guy here on the edge of divorce because of all the stress waiting for this announcement is putting on marriage.

My wild guess is ... Battle of Odessa. Or Sevastopol or Crimea or whatever they decide to call that theater. And a road map that promises to move out of eastern front later on.

But as these are our last chances for wild speculations before the official announcement, let's use it to tell what a pity it would be to neglect the third main objective of eastern front - Leningrad. A map that would go from Helsinki - Tallinn area in the west all the way to Leningrad in the east and that could be used for early war (German and Finnish attack), mid war (Siege of Leningrad and trench war) and late war (Soviet attack on Narva front and Karelian isthmus). Nice addition to that is the Murmansk map and the arctic convoys.

If 10,000 people gave us $500 we could make it all and give 1C a nice profit. It seems easy until you try. LOL

Jason

LOL Indeed. That would be asking a little too much. We aren`t all that rich to throw away that kind of money so easily.

By the way, has the new Theatre been announced yet?

Edited by seafireliv

LOL Indeed. That would be asking a little too much. We aren`t all that rich to throw away that kind of money so easily.

By the way, has the new Theatre been announced yet?

He was not asking us to do this. He was saying why they have to choose their path carefully.

HerrMurf, as I don't know your history with the original sim I must ask, were you around went the NG thing happened?

There are reasons why no 1C title will ever have NG aircraft again, and it wasn't even 1C's fault.

I wish this were not the case, but I doubt that anything has changed since that madness came to light.

I was around. 1c and a FPS who's title escapes me both tried to do end arounds and were ordered to stop. Both tried to use the GRUMMAN name as a selling point. Both ignored NG's warnings and got smacked. It is because trademarks were violated. Making a digital model and using the military designation should prevent this. Consulting with the copyright owner is probably a good idea as well. Play nice and you get to have nice things. $#!7 on someone's trademark and pay the price. Which is very much as it should be BTW.

Like I said previously, there are literally hundreds of artists and modelers who profit from images and models of these same aircraft today. None of whom are paying royalties. Don't just crap on Copyright/TM holder's rights and it shouldn't be a problem. There is wide latitude for artistic representations. It's not the aircraft it's the TM.

HerrMurf, as I don't know your history with the original sim I must ask, were you around went the NG thing happened?

There are reasons why no 1C title will ever have NG aircraft again, and it wasn't even 1C's fault.

I wish this were not the case, but I doubt that anything has changed since that madness came to light.

I know what happened in the past and it has ZERO to do with us today. Just drop this conversation. It is an unwanted distraction. I have a background in trademark law so don't worry. I won't let us get into trouble.

Jason

• Upvote 5

One thing we need to remember is that a good portion of the customer base (the majority?) is little represented on this board and may strongly have influenced their choice of theatre.  I'm speaking of course about their Russian customer base.  We don't know what percentage of their sales have been to Russian vs Western, vs Pacific rim bases has been.  But I would guess if 60% or more is Russian we will see another Russian front game.  Which to be honest is fine with me. Lots of good stuff yet mined in the east!

I know what happened in the past and it has ZERO to do with us today. Just drop this conversation. It is an unwanted distraction. I have a background in trademark law so don't worry. I won't let us get into trouble.

Jason

As I said, nothing to see here, move along. Thanks Jason.

The eastern front can be finished with a few maps and a few collector planes. No need for another $90 BoX. It was a world war, let's see some more of the world and some more of the countries that took part. It's time to move on.

• Upvote 1

Jason

Plus, apparently no one bothered to talk to team fusion, because the wildcat is part of TF5.0.

So, yeah, not a thing apparently.

Edited by Kai_Lae

Or not. There's more than one way to "move on", and so luckily for the rest of us, YOU don't get to decide. I'd be happy thrilled to see a Pacific theatre (Battle of Midway/Coral Sea/New Guinea), but I think anything with more shipping/anti-shipping action would also be great, e.g. Murmansk. The Eastern Front, in size, scope and time, dwarfs all the other fronts combined (excluding the Pacific), so, in my mind, the real war took place here and everything else was a gnatty distraction :)

Yeah but I do get to decide what I spend my money on. I won't be buying the 2 new aircraft because I'm not interested in them and I won't be buying another Eastern front expansion because I have 2 already. As a brit the war started in 1939, not just for the British but also the commonwealth (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, india etc etc) and took part in Europe, Africa and the far east. Not to mention the shipping sent to the eastern front. So in my mind the war was a global conflict with more than 2 combatants and if Jason really needs everyone to buy everything they put in their store then he needs to start expanding the war. Reading here and elsewhere I'm not the only one who's wallet will remain shut if the game stays in Russia.

Personally I think it makes more sense to have the sim develop in a linear time frame. If we're currently in 1942/3 with BoS, then another theater in that same time period works well for me. If we jumped ahead to say late 43/44 in the East, then what happens down the road when the game branches out to another earlier theater? Will a lot of guys who've grown accustomed to higher performing A/C suddenly want to go back to 1942 to fly an earlier plane set? Some would I'm sure. A lot would not.

I will buy everything but I want north Africa but sense Kursk or other rus battle. I think breaking the mould will be the only way to real success

One thing we need to remember is that a good portion of the customer base (the majority?) is little represented on this board and may strongly have influenced their choice of theatre. I'm speaking of course about their Russian customer base. We don't know what percentage of their sales have been to Russian vs Western, vs Pacific rim bases has been. But I would guess if 60% or more is Russian we will see another Russian front game. Which to be honest is fine with me. Lots of good stuff yet mined in the east!

From a while back, i remember someone quoting 20%-30% russian.

Not sure how accurate that is, but 60% sounds too high.

Personally I think it makes more sense to have the sim develop in a linear time frame. If we're currently in 1942/3 with BoS, then another theater in that same time period works well for me. If we jumped ahead to say late 43/44 in the East, then what happens down the road when the game branches out to another earlier theater? Will a lot of guys who've grown accustomed to higher performing A/C suddenly want to go back to 1942 to fly an earlier plane set? Some would I'm sure. A lot would not.

Not sure what you mean given that we went backwards from BOS to BOM.

From a while back, i remember someone quoting 20%-30% russian.

Not sure how accurate that is, but 60% sounds too high.

Not sure what you mean given that we went backwards from BOS to BOM.

I understand that. But I don't imagine we're going to continue going back in time. I think it was done to get another product to market in the quickest way possible.

Jason

Sounds like they made up their minds on Pacific, otherwise I feel like Jason would have said "I wouldn't" instead of "I won't".

• Upvote 1

Sounds like they made up their minds on Pacific, otherwise I feel like Jason would have said "I wouldn't" instead of "I won't".

There were Wildcats in the Med as well :D