GrendelsDad

The New Gun Sounds...

88 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the new gun sounds?

• They are great!
    • Big improvement on what we had. (maybe needs minor update) please explain
    • Give me the old sounds back

How do you like the new gun sounds...I find them much better than before...my only issue is that it's a bit loud for my taste. I will take it over the old sounds for sure. Please add any feedback as well.

Edited by II./ZG1_GrendelsDad

A slider to adjust gun sounds volume would be great. Other than that they`re great.

• Upvote 1

Very Hollywood-ish.

Which is a both a plus and minus.

Plus, because, yes, they sound compelling --- nice and loud with the metallic clink of spent round being ejected.

Minus because it is entirely unrealistic! While I have no first-hand experience IRL, every account I've read that says something about the sound of guns firing indicates you do not really hear very much inside the cockpit over the sound of the engines. That's only in movies and in over-dubbed newsreel footage.

At the other extreme, check out the DCS Bf-109 5tuka has a authentic DB sound mod. The first time I tried it I was surprised and disappointed that I could not hear the guns at all! But I was reassured that this was more realistic, and I accept that. However, it does throw you off at a visceral level not being able to get audio feedback when firing ... especially when you miss!

So the question is, do you want realism/authenticity or Hollywood hyper-reality? 

• Upvote 1

Well, in my opinion, at the end of the day it is a game after all, so I would go with half way between hyper-reality and realism.

The new sounds are better than what we had, and they are better than not being able to hear anything.

A volume slider to adjust volume would keep those that don't like the new sounds happy (or as close to happy as they can be).

:drinks:

Edited by MF-beepee
  • Upvote 1

I would like a little more of the muzzle/bass sounds and a little less of the mechanical sounds but can live with what we've got.

• Upvote 2

It is a bit "arcade" but with a possibility to adjust different volumes in the sim (as in DCS) we could do adjustments making the majority more satisfied.

The volumes of some things are way to loud and other way to low, fi radio calls vs guns.

Very Hollywood-ish.

Which is a both a plus and minus.

Plus, because, yes, they sound compelling --- nice and loud with the metallic clink of spent round being ejected.

Minus because it is entirely unrealistic! While I have no first-hand experience IRL, every account I've read that says something about the sound of guns firing indicates you do not really hear very much inside the cockpit over the sound of the engines. That's only in movies and in over-dubbed newsreel footage.

At the other extreme, check out the DCS Bf-109 5tuka has a authentic DB sound mod. The first time I tried it I was surprised and disappointed that I could not hear the guns at all! But I was reassured that this was more realistic, and I accept that. However, it does throw you off at a visceral level not being able to get audio feedback when firing ... especially when you miss!

So the question is, do you want realism/authenticity or Hollywood hyper-reality? 

Spot on.

I would just had, if I may, I appreciate the effort of the developer trying to improve the one we had but I prefer the realism. What missing is the feeling that you are shooting guns, it should shake or vibrate your aircraft with the recoil. Let alone that we shouldn't be able to ear the clink and the tak stuff.  Have a look at that and they are only 50cal you can imagine 20mm cannons.

Edited by ATAG_dB

In my time in the navy we used the 40mm Bofors (40/46) and the 6,5 MGs a lot, ammo was plenty from old war magazines . I remember the sound very well and how different it was from what I had imagined it would be like, more like some weird machine clonking along than a gun, and the grenades surprisingly slow rising and curving away almost in a corkscrew way.

Just my 2C  

Master

I can litereally hear the shell casings drop on a hard surface in the sound sample, even while flying in-game

And I only have one crappy speaker! (right speaker,  left speaker non-functional)

I'm OK with the lesser realism because nothing feels more satisfying that filling an il2 who jus destroyed your artillery battery with 20mm now.

I think they are better than they were but a bit too loud. But I much rather have too loud than too quiet.

I agree that sound slider might be a good idea though. :)

Realisticly you should not head the guns at all or very little. But the noice of the engine. But who wants that. A bittersweet reminder of WT, but cool never the less

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

IRL, u can feel the weapon firing. In game that's impossible. And we need that audiovisual feedback. That is a part of every good game.

IRL, u can feel the weapon firing. In game that's impossible. And we need that audiovisual feedback. That is a part of every good game.

In game it can be done by adding some kind of airframe vibration

This poll  have only 8 or 80 options... 

I want a way to turn the gun sounds down - if has "bell and whistles" frequencies don't matter. 

See...tactile transducer. These work really nice on the low audio cues in-game.

I like them very much, the metallic clinging is very satisfying when pulling the trigger.

But like many, I'd like them quieter. Hit sounds seems louder too since the update.

In game it can be done by adding some kind of airframe vibration

Already in game ;) 

I like them very much, the metallic clinging is very satisfying when pulling the trigger.

But like many, I'd like them quieter. Hit sounds seems louder too since the update.

Already in game ;)

I do not see nor feel it if it is

Never fired machine guns and canon in a closed cockpit going 400kph so what do I know.  What seems odd though is that wing mounted and cowling mounted guns seem to have the same loudness.  Would this be the case?

Stick I would think you are correct. Maybe sound engine issue but maybe it could be suggested to the devs to look into.

Edited by II./ZG1_GrendelsDad

Sounds are bad. I'm not talking about the samples used.

Just general feel of it, they're too loud and too clear.

Another thing:

If my plane gets hit - i can barely hear that. I always find myself to be aware that I'm being hit cause of the techno chat (or eventually by the missed tracers). No sound feedback.

If i hit plane thats 200 m in front of me, oh boy i can hear it loud.

I think the balance in sounds and vibration/shake is very good and optimal in original 1946 il2 series. Just poor quality samples were used.

I like them. I can't say if they are very accurate, but the way i see it sound always is a bit subjective to taste.

Grt M 

I like them. I can't say if they are very accurate, but the way i see it sound always is a bit subjective to taste.

Grt M 

Oh no, I disagree. The SOUND SAMPLE is matter of subjective taste. But volume levels are not. I mean exact levels are a debate, but in general one can say certainly that they're too loud and too clear.