Sign in to follow this  
GridiroN

BF109 tactics: help with common issue I encounter.

This seems like a common Russian tactic amongst the more skilled pilots on WoL, and I can't figure out how to avoid it...

paDEG3q.jpg

I've tried breaking earlier so the Russian plane is facing away from me as I climb, but this seems to cause endless loops of dive -> break -> dive -> break -> dive.

Interested to see other suggestions but the only way I improve my chances once they have successfully completed that move is to not climb hard immediately. You need separation ASAP and the solution depends on your relative energy states but for the most part I find that keeping more of that top speed before converting back to altitude is important. Jink enough to avoid being shot but not bleed too much speed. It's a fine balance.

Hopefully someone has a better solution for dealing with that scenario that I can learn from.

Don't pull up.

Continue I your line of travel and keep your speed high. Gain separation then start to climb in a shallow, very high speed climb.

The Russians can prop hang like an SoB and maneuver even at the apex of a loop to get guns on you, so don't be an easy target.

Stay fast and don't get greedy.

Edited by 5./JG26_Dots
  • Upvote 1

Don't pull up.

Continue I your line of travel and keep your speed high. Gain separation then start to climb in a shallow, very high speed climb.

The Russians can prop hang like an SoB and maneuver even at the apex of a loop to get guns on you, so don't be an easy target.

Stay fast and don't get greedy.

Everything can prop hang in BOS. Try the 109F4 itself :P.

• Upvote 1

Force him to make a sharper maneuver, to dodge you.

The bigger your energy advantage over him, the higher the angle you take in your zoom climb.

But as Solty said, BoS FMs do not help the situation, lolz.

A bit of flaps, and be it a 109, a LaGG-3, a Yak-1 or whaterver you want, you will just get helicoptered by a semi-competent pilot.

I'm no ace like Ze_Hairy to give advises how to be the best :) But if I may add my opinion, case is that a pure vertical separation wont be enough unless you have massive energy advantage (remember - you only know your energy level and ESTIMATE the opponents, and estimations can be wrong. People often being aware of opponent take a shallow dive to pick up more speed just to be able to follow attacker later on), its far better to combine vertical and horizontal separation (so a shallow climb would be advised).

Other thing is that in games like that you should always have a wingmen :)

Edit: 1000 posts reached !

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi

Just extend after first attack, especially if you not scored any hits. Immediate second attack after unsuccesful first one is very risky since it puts me most propably at co-energy. Another thing if you're extending don't turn into his nose, just allign with exact parallel course if he's chasing or exact opposite if not. Turning into his nose while climbing creates an opportunity for medium/long distance angle shot using "magic flaps" (I manage to pull that kind of shot few times, once when already burning and with engine damage while flying RED). Although I don't find em to be "magic" - works the same in LA, Lagg and Yak. In Yak ofc their auto and maybe lowering with faster pace. Drawback on the BLUEs is when u press stabilizer up/down it reacts slower, HOWEVER u can assign axis to it which creates possible expoits.

These are the causes of my failure that I've observed from my short experience (no matter the side):

1. Most important one: target has a buddy or random ally above us

2. Not scoring any hits after first attack which brings me to no3

3. Being greedy and staying in the fight spending all energy advantage

4. If the enemy is good risk of overshooting or stalling and pounding the ground due to low speed manouvering

5. If the enemy is mediocre - running out of ammo or someone stealing kill or scoring the kill at last of course.. and at this point most of the times no1 comes back to action.

Edited by Cethanu

Practice the first pass kill and don't shoot early. I assume in your scenario the enemy has not seen you so you could level out behind him and shoot close. I remember a old rule never to pass the enemy wing line.

In my opinion, what goes wrong at the initial stages of most of this type of attack is the ease in which people are able to check six and prepare to evade the attack.

Take a look at some of the videos posted online, and you will see many quickly able to perform what would be the equivalent of lifting your butt right out of your seat and pressing your face right up against the rear corner of your perspex canopy to get a clear view up over the seat and out of the rear of the plane. Some even doing it with a predefined snap view. The blind spots on planes aren't as blind as they probably were in real life.

For those of you with a VR headset, I'm sure that you can attest to the fact that even without G forces, the 1:1 nature of your head position mapped in game will likely mean that you don't check 6 as easily as is done now, especially coordinating lifting your butt out of your seat turning around to look out of the back of the plane while keeping hands on your HOTAS and feet on pedals.

Edited by Tripwire

im used to check six alot in reallife as a fast citycyclist and im really interested in the view inside VR ,actually i can see at least peripherals above 180° in my back without twisting shoulder and back straight

offtopic:

damn thanks to remember me for the snapview option i wanted to set up ,because as one wearing glasses the possible way for the headtracker axis is very restricted (maybe i should get some hardcore supersized nerd glasses, but i guess the frame will still block visuals above ~35°) which is resulting in a very fast and hectic yaw and pitch curve, dont know if track ir is doing better than opentrack at curves, wont buy it anyways :P

Judging by videos ive seen, a lot of people play the game zoomed out when not engaging, (giving them the field of view of a Woodcock!)

And as stated  planes suddenly veer away as you approach, so its far to easy for people to check six.

In real life most pilots never saw the person who shot them down.

Ive always found the best way is a slightly curved entry dive at high speed, take the shot and then a curved high speed exit tightening to a spiral climb of about 300kph.

This means the copter has to turn as well as hover, rather than just pull his nose up and spray hoping for a hit!

It seems to work pretty well.

Edited by JG5_Schuck