Sign in to follow this  
SYN_Mike77

New Rig time

I have been fighting with my rig for over a year now and whether the Update to Win10 or sheer coincidence caused a failure I'm done fighting and am in the market for a new rig.  I had an unexcpected winfall (a great uncle I met once in 1967 died!) and I have $1,200 on hand for a new rig.  I am not going to build my own!!! Don't bother explaining why that is a stupid choice!  So, anyone know of a good sale going on in the US right now?  

I went from FX-8350 4.0, 16 GB ddr3, m5a88 to I7-6700k 4.5 GHz OC, Asus z170-a,  16gb ddr4 2400,same video card gtx 970 strix , my fps went from 30-40 fps on low settings to 130-150 fps on ultra, hdr enabled, ssao disabled.

AMD is working bad with this engine

Edited by duko

Yeah I'm looking to make the switch to intel. I read on anther thread that the i5 6600k chip works pretty well with this game and might be the sweet spot in the bang for buck mode.  

Does anyone know how the new nvidea 1060 GPU is?  It seems much cheaper than the 1070. 

That's because code and Dx 9 dont really take all that advantage of multicore HT CPUs, Dx 11 might help but all the difference would make Dx 12. Which we wont see any time soon to my disappointment. 

So for now you should look for Intel i5 CPU, preferably a Skylake architecture. The only problem is that those ready to buy sets go with lower end CPUs and cheap motherboards give you little to no possibility to overclock - and high clocks on CPU are important for this game, 4-4.5 Ghz is a dream. 

In regard to 1060 : http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/22378-gtx1080/?p=371631

We had a decent discussion and to be fair, if you can afford 1070 then its a good choice. But if your budget is a bit limited, then 1060 is a very good option either in terms price/performance. In 1080p and 1440p its more than enough. Other consideration might be Radeon Rx 480, but to be honest I got no idea how AMD GPUs work with BoS. 

One way or another, BoS needs that Dx 11 and proper code optimization to utilize all the multicore cpus, especially that AMD Zen and new Intel generation will be introduced by the end of the year and they all come in 4-8 core versions. 

Found this at ibuypower for $1180:  Thoughts?

Case 1 x Corsair Carbide Series 100R Gaming Case - Black Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor Cooling 1 x Corsair Hydro Series H55 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2800 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 6GB (VR-Ready) Motherboard 1 x MSI Z170A PC Mate -- - *Free Upgrade to MSI Z170A SLI Plus -- 3x PCIe 3.0 x16, 6x USB 3.1 Gen1, 1x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C Power Supply 1 x 600 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Bronze Advance Cabling Options 1 x Standard Default Cables Primary Hard Drive 1 x 120GB ADATA SP550 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive Optical Drive 1 x 24x Dual Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black -- *Free Upgrade to 14X LG Blu-ray Re-writer* Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] - (64-bit) *Newest Microsoft Windows* Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty + 1 Year Return Shipping Coverage Plan - *Cover return ground shipping costs for 12 months* Rush Service 1 x No Rush Service (Usually Ships in 5-10 business Days) Edited by SYN_Mike77

Kept looking and ran into this:  $1184

Case 1 x iBUYPOWER Revolt Mini Tower Gaming Case Case Lighting 1 x Revolt Advanced Lighting Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i5-6600K iBUYPOWER PowerDrive 1 x PowerDrive Level 1 - Up to 10% Overclocking Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2800 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB (VR Ready) - Single Card Motherboard 1 x MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Mini-ITX -- Wireless AC + Bluetooth, 4x USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0 Power Supply 1 x 500 Watt - FSP 1U 80 Plus Gold Certificated Power Supply - *Support up to NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan* Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive Optical Drive 1 x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Slot Load Drive Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] - (64-bit) *Newest Microsoft Windows* Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty + 1 Year Return Shipping Coverage Plan - *Cover return ground shipping costs for 12 months*

WHich one to buy?

Edited by SYN_Mike77

I've gone back and forth on those two and from what I can tell is three differences:

Revolt has a mini case (it's on clearance because they have a newer mini case design) 

a 500w psu fsp gold certified

a GTX nvidia 1070 founders edtition

a MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Mini-ITX mother board

Paladin has a larger case (easier to get around in if I do upgrades in the future)

600w psu bronze certified generic brand

GTX nvidia 1060

MSI Z170A SLI Plus -- 3x PCIe 3.0 x16, 6x USB 3.1 motherboard

The Revolt is $30 cheaper.

Which should I pull the trigger on?

Mike, I really dont understand why you cant order components all by yourself. In Poland almost every shop that delivers pc components can also put that together and install software for you, sometimes even for free. That is usually cheaper then buying complete sets and gives you full control over your rig. 

But in any case, mini-ITX is really not a good choice for Skylake i5 6600k and overall versatility. You only have one expansion slot there, so if you would like in future to install something else as well like a Sound Card or top class Wi-Fi card, it just wont be possible. About PSU, what I would really need to know is the brand. It's crucial to know in case of second one its specs. PSU delivers power and for high performance PCs its important that it does it not only properly but also in stable manner. I personally tend to spend more money on PSU just to be sure that its best and safest one. 

Overall first rig looks very appealing, except for that damn motherboard. I guess its up to you to decide what you favor, small (but not bad, just limiting) motherboard or the other one. 

LD, no such shops exists in rural Kentucky.  Sounds great though!  As it is I went with door number 2. (Revolt)  I read some reviews and most said that the motherboard was the weak link but an upgrade to ASRock FATAL1TY Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard for $29 would make it an even better rig.  I couldn't say no to the 1070 for the same price as a 1060.  In either case, I'm sure it will be a step up than the rig outlined in my sig.

It certainly will Mike. I am personally waiting for changing my rig till the end of this year, with a hope that new AMD CPUs (Zen Summit Ridge) will be able to compete with Intel. 

Nonetheless, have fun with your new box :) 

My new i7 6700K have boosted fps in BOS nicely.

As did mine.

GrendelsDad was also able to assist me in breaking my 4.7GHz barrier and pushing the chip up to 5GHz.

I don't play much IL-2 recently due to stagnation but the new chip/overclock definitely makes a difference.

The advantage of the larger case will be that you are not as constrained when it comes to possibly upgrading your graphics card later on. As that one also comes with the larger power supply (always better to have some in reserve) I would say that is probably the better option of the two.

I recently built my own new rig and decided on the Skylake chipset and the Z170 mobo and I must say what a difference I've noticed over my old PC. Mind you, that one was an old core2 Duo hehe

core2 Duo

Wow, that was old stuff. I still got somewhere old Q6600, a dream CPU for overclocking on that good old 775 socket.

Personally I'm not convinced that i7 is going to make such a huge difference in gaming when compared to i5. And I still wish to see what AMD is going to bring with Zen. 

I agree that the i7 probably doesn't add much game-wise to what the i5 brings to the party. The main reason that I got one is that I also intend to host co-op misions on the same rig and wanted to be as sure as possible that I wouldn't lose any game performance while doing so.

The small case does bother me but I am hopeful that this rig will be good for flightsims for  a while.  As to the power supply, that too concerned me but 2 considerations let me get past this:

1. 500 gold certified vs 600 bronze.  Quality over quantity.  Yeah, both would be better.

2.  Both the 1070 and the i5 are pretty efficient. I read in a couple of places that 400-425w would do.  500 should be plenty.

In the end, the specs on the 1070 vs the 1060 for the exact same price was too much to say no to.

It's not as much as for pure number but certificate and number of watts. A high quality 500-550 can do much better if compared to mediocre 600 Watt PSU. Besides, for your rig a 600 W PSU is totally unnecessary. Skylake CPUs consume a lot less juice, same goes for new generation of Nvidia cards and high quality 500 W should be more than enough. 

If you are really afraid use this : http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ 

Based on what is said in post no 8 I got :

Results:
Load Wattage: 321 W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 371 W
So your 500 W PSU should do fine. 
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I'm looking to make the switch to intel. I read on anther thread that the i5 6600k chip works pretty well with this game and might be the sweet spot in the bang for buck mode.  

Does anyone know how the new nvidea 1060 GPU is?  It seems much cheaper than the 1070. 

Well i just bought GTX1060 a week ago,and it is great, BOS and DCS run really well...its on pair with GTX980,so more than enough for il2 BOS...1070 is overkill,ideal setup for BOS if you have around 1000$) is CPU i5 6600K,fast SSD,and GTX1060.

Fishbed, if someone offered to swap your 1060 for a 1070 with no cost, would you take it?  That's the deal I had.  Will the 1070 make my rid run Bos/Bom run any worse?  If I had to pay the usual $200 premium for a 1070 rig I wouldn't have done it.  But for the same price?  I'll take it.

Thanks Hiromachi.  That is pretty much what I had found too but the calculator helps put my mind at ease.

Edited by SYN_Mike77

yeah i just check that offer,PC with1070 is definitely better,just dont forget put SSD disk in there...overall it will be night and day difference compared to what you have now.Be sure to share your experience with new setup,after you try it in BOS.

As soon as I am up and running I'll make a report.  "The waiting is the hardest part"

I also upgraded my system from i5 2500K @ 4,4GHz to 6700K. A nice boost in performance even with stock clocks.

Nice, having 2500k myself I'm looking froward to an upgrade (although this 5 year old cpu really holds well which is a proof that there wasnt such a huge technology change over the years) to a Skylake or Zen. You mind if I ask Remontti what motherboard did you get for that i7 ? 

i5 2500k was/is good cpu, i had it oc to 4,7Ghz. My new i7 6700k is for now on stock clock, but i have good motherbooard for OC in the future- Asus Maximus Ranger.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Nice, having 2500k myself I'm looking froward to an upgrade (although this 5 year old cpu really holds well which is a proof that there wasnt such a huge technology change over the years) to a Skylake or Zen. You mind if I ask Remontti what motherboard did you get for that i7 ? 

I have Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard and Noctua NH-D15 for cooling (that thing was so big that it there was only 3mm marginal in the chassis

New rig is out for delivery!  Which means I'll get it sometime today.  Lots of set up and downloading to look forward to before I give a report on how it does.

Any advice on setting up a new box?

New rig is out for delivery!  Which means I'll get it sometime today.  Lots of set up and downloading to look forward to before I give a report on how it does.

Any advice on setting up a new box?

Take your time setting up , don`t push male and females connectors if they feel they don`t match up , just take your time , the last thing i set up is normally the monitor , all cables out of sight and neat and tidy . Go win10 .

Thanks guys: The rig is a Win10 machine so I don't have to worry about that.  And as it turns out I have a bit longer to wait.  Fedex delivers on Saturday to 90% of the USA!   Southeast Kentucky being in the other 10% I now have to wait till tomorrow (Monday) :dash:

I feel like Sheldon Cooper deciding between the X-Box and the PS-1!  

I am in the same spot as you :/ 

But as I understand it this game will until the day it convert to DX 12 be better played with a CPU with highest possible numbers and not how many cores. So I was thinking about a 4 mhz something. Next question, will I utilize VR if not I can go for a cheap GPU, if I do I got to go for a expensive one. I use DCS more than BOS so I would consider the possibility to move my rig to a bigger space, and use 3 screens, if I am not going for VR. And then I need better GPU . So I just say. Know what you are going to do, spend the money on what you know you will use it on, because in 6 years this thingy will be obsolete anyway

• Upvote 1

I've received my new rig and I am having 2 problems

1.  when I go to quick misssions or any other choices I get a windows message saying that I don't have a disk in D drive.  Please insert disk.  There is no disk to insert!  what is happening?

2.  I can't seem to get windows 10 to recognize my saitek rudder pedals.  When I download the drivers and try to install them from Saitek all is well until the install wizard asks me to plug in the pedals.  I am getting power though as the green power light comes on, it just wont recognize what is plugged in.  All other perferials working well.

Any help would be appreciated!

2.  I can't seem to get windows 10 to recognize my saitek rudder pedals.  When I download the drivers and try to install them from Saitek all is well until the install wizard asks me to plug in the pedals.  I am getting power though as the green power light comes on, it just wont recognize what is plugged in.  All other perferials working well.

Any help would be appreciated!

You really don't need that Saitek software for your pedals. I have never been a big fan of their software.

I ran Saitek Combat Pedals for quite some time very well, without installing their software. Never had an issue. They calibrated fine in Windows 10 without any issue.

Without the software, just plug them in, go into control panel and then devices and printers, and find your rudder pedals, calibrate the axis and toe brakes.

In the game you will likely need to tick the invert button for the toe brake axis.

But, with or without the saitek software, windows 10 does not recognize my pedals!  What it says is "unknown usb device.  (set address failed).  Everything else registers.  Also, has anyone else ever had that no disk message?  I did a search but came up empty.

Did you try to plug the pedals to a different USB port?

• Upvote 1