[TWB]Pand

IL-2 Server Overview and Activity Trending

Salute Gents!

A little over a week ago, I implemented some monitoring that pulls pilot data from the more popular IL-2 Server for activity trending.

The data collected includes:

1.  Server Total Pilots

2.  Server German Pilots

3.  Server Russian Pilots

The data points are pulled every 5 minutes, and the charts are updated every 15 minutes.  All times on the charts are USA Eastern Time (UTC -5:00)

The first set of charts is the Server Overview, which includes the total number of pilots compared against all other tracked servers.  These charts show the data points collected for the last 24 hours, 3 days, 7 days, and 28 days.

The following sets of charts are for each specifically tracked server that includes the total number of German and Russian pilots in addition to the total number of pilots connected.  These charts show the data points collected for the last 24 hours, 3 days, 7 days, and 28 days.

I hope this data is useful to some of you!  Any questions or feedback, please let me know!  

• Upvote 5

pand, nice. I might suggest you consider leaving out the "total" for the german vs Russian qty's. that is already implied by the two others since they are superimposed, but including "total" cause the scale to be much larger and diminishes the difference in the two ('difference' appears to be your subject).

from those RvB graphs, it looks like there is insignificant difference in pilot populations, which mean the sides are generally balanced.

You're right!  I'll remove the total off the specific server charts and leave it on the server comparison ones.  Thanks for the feedback!  

This is really really well done! It takes everyones "feelings" on how dead or alive the IL-2 online component is an turns it into quantifiable data. It also makes it easier to schedule a good time to pop on a server if you're looking for the most popular times (or in some cases if you want to fly with only a few people).

Great work! Really great!

Great, thank you so much for the job done here.

I'm convinced that unbiased data combined with a neutral analysis will help to improve the sim.  

Brilliant ! 

The numbers are so low...

Saddening really.

How can we fix it?

The numbers are so low...

Saddening really.

How can we fix it?

Which numbers are you referencing?  A specific server's numbers?  or Axis?  or Allied?

All of them.

We are into the second DLC for this title and the online numbers are dismal, at best.

I guess it's just a sign of the times.

But I'd sure like to see 500+ online like the old days, with a broad choice of servers, and server types, to choose from. 

All of them.

We are into the second DLC for this title and the online numbers are dismal, at best.

I guess it's just a sign of the times.

But I'd sure like to see 500+ online like the old days, with a broad choice of servers, and server types, to choose from. 

I guess it mostly has 3 reasons.

1.) The game has become too complex for many people to learn easily and have fun.

2.) There's war thunder which has a huge playerbase and is rather easy to learn

3.) The content in this game is way more complex than old il-46 and thus costs a lot more. I got a copy of 46 in 2008 for 10 bucks I think.

Apart from that there is no real sense in online fighting right now. FNBF and SNBF were the first real campaigns to give online fighting some sense, TAW made it available 24/7 but is down now. So right now there is not much sense for me to fly online. If my team wins a map and then there is a completely different one just afterwards just doesn't push to get the objectives done.

And I don't really think we will see those numbers again, at least not any time soon. Maybe in 5 Years?

Edited by 216th_Jordan

Not with an eastern front sim.

Make it Europe 1943-44 or the Ned and the players will come.

+1

More Theaters more people.

Nope. The "original" IL2 was a success even without any western front.

First of all, BOS/BOM is waaay too expensive, for a half a dozen flyable planes.

More AI, non flyable, could help. 

The game interface is complicated and poor. What to say about the graphic settings/options? What can we really change? (what was the reason to remove the settings???) And this is a real problem, in considering that even powerful rigs can't deal with a real populated air and ground action, without poor fps, stutters and freezes.  

And what to say about the offline popularity? Just take a look at steam charts: http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=sturmovik

There is no problem with the FM... there is a problem with the core of the game, like the campaigns (oh boy)  and the lack of options, like an easy to deal FMB.

Anyway, the community here already pointed this out thousand of times... and nothing changed.    

• Upvote 1

The expense of essentially mandatory additional controllers like joystick and TrackIR in addition to the price of the base game and lack of developer-produced multiplayer server war type setup are the real issues.  The servers made by the community are great, but took far too long to hit the scene and require people to do a lot of work to learn the ropes.

Since mouse aiming has already been introduced as a way for newbies to get their feet wet and headtracking of one kind or another is starting to mainstream, the last issue is the one that can be solved and would do wonders for the game going forward, much more so than a P-51 or Typhoon.  It costs to really get into the sim already, it needs to be easily engaging immediately once you get in the door.

Edited by Silas

[Personally I often think of VR, in all its different forms - and its automatic head-tracking - as simming's bestest and most gargantuan hope for the future.]

[Personally I often think of VR, in all its different forms - and its automatic head-tracking - as simming's bestest and most gargantuan hope for the future.]

I certainly hope for that too.

Salute Gents!

To be fair, 6 months ago, the USA East Coast prime time numbers were only half of what they are now--- 12 months ago we could only play on weekends!  On an objective based server, there is plenty of action happening with 20-30 people, and anything above that is just sweet tactical gravy.  

The real issue I see is that the developers leave it entirely up to the community to build something awesome--- they only provide the base set of tools to build it on.  Special thanks to WOL and TAW for driving the online development even further and providing us multiplayer only guys some quality action.   :salute:

• Upvote 1

Its really interesting to look at when the pilot peak times are, on TAW, DED and WoL they are all

between 1.00PM and 5.00PM UTC, which i think equates to 6, about the time people in Europe come home from work/college and put their PC's on, and 10 GMT 

when they log off to go to bed.

Maybe the Devs should target the American market abit more with a "Lend lease DLC" containing the P39 and A20, and to bolster online VVS numbers maybe Hurricanes IIb and Spits V (to temp people away from BoB). All planes available at Stalingrad! 

This would also make the perfect plane set for a Murmansk map (with a few tweaks, boats and torpedoes!) 

Minimum expenditure for maximum results! 

I feel like piling on at this point is just like beating a very, very dead horse. But here are my hacks at the poor beast.

1. Multiplayer/server flexibility. Now this isn't so much with what you can/can't do with the FMB. It's WAY more advanced and complicated than '46s. However, the inability to do your own client side hosting (as easy as '46), coop missions with your buddies, etc is a huge killer for many smaller units and individual communities. 
  2. Off-line single player campaign is still not where it needs to be. But this has to do with the very poor AI. The interface, missions, and feel have all been improved since Day 1 - much to the Devs credit. Even using excellent tools like PWCG the only thing IMO holding it back is the AI. As mentioned, when you can't even fire up a QMB, (Macchis vs P40s) just to watch the P40s lawn dart into the ground like they're in the olympics :). (Granted, we still don't have final BoM release - so maybe by final release this specific issue is resolved).
  3. The learning curve is much harder than in '46. Even going from full real 24/7 DF servers and online wars in '46, most vets will have a hard time adjusting to how BoS plays. All of this is made harder by how difficult it is to spot aircraft, especially from altitude. You look at CloD, '46, or any flight sim since the 90s, this was never as excruciatingly difficult and mind numbing as this sim. 
  • Upvote 1

I feel like piling on at this point is just like beating a very, very dead horse. But here are my hacks at the poor beast.

1. Multiplayer/server flexibility. Now this isn't so much with what you can/can't do with the FMB. It's WAY more advanced and complicated than '46s. However, the inability to do your own client side hosting (as easy as '46), coop missions with your buddies, etc is a huge killer for many smaller units and individual communities. 
  2. Off-line single player campaign is still not where it needs to be. But this has to do with the very poor AI. The interface, missions, and feel have all been improved since Day 1 - much to the Devs credit. Even using excellent tools like PWCG the only thing IMO holding it back is the AI. As mentioned, when you can't even fire up a QMB, (Macchis vs P40s) just to watch the P40s lawn dart into the ground like they're in the olympics :). (Granted, we still don't have final BoM release - so maybe by final release this specific issue is resolved).
  3. The learning curve is much harder than in '46. Even going from full real 24/7 DF servers and online wars in '46, most vets will have a hard time adjusting to how BoS plays. All of this is made harder by how difficult it is to spot aircraft, especially from altitude. You look at CloD, '46, or any flight sim since the 90s, this was never as excruciatingly difficult and mind numbing as this sim. 

Let me spare the dying beast a couple of blows, if I can.

1. Client side hosting really isn't difficult. It's a bit annoying and needlessly convoluted, but if you can stomach getting a second free (FREE!) BoS account and then - here's the thing- running another program (alongside your TIR, for instance) before/while you launch your game, then it works well. It doesn't seem to drain too many resources, at least in my  experience. Coop mission with your buddies are perfectly possible, so long as someone puts a mission together (and - hopefully increasingly - they don't even have to do that, since various generous souls are donating their work in the mission building forum.

A caveat with that is that whatever mission it is that you've got lined up in the DServer will fire up. Therefore, of course, triggers are important for mission design, and nothing occurs in a BoS mission without some sort of trigger (even just the boring old "Mission Begin" trigger!

2. A matter of opinion, I suppose. Personally, I find the badly named "Campaign" is now a lot of fun. I've started doing missions on "Expert" now that I'm more confident in my navigation. Not perfect, but still...

3. Not going with the learning curve thing. My squadron was decimated by the step up to CloD. We've found BoS to be a time to relax after CloD's fun with blowing your tires on the runway or - even more fun - not being able to climb at all in the Blenheim without blowing both engines... Basically, we found BoS in general to be a pretty good compromise between '46 and something like DCS. CloD, I've got to say, was just all over the shop. Some things were modelled in excruciating detail, and other things - like, say, spotlights, or trees or London - not at all.

Grr-CloD. It's like a vicious come-down after some mind-bending trip-to-the-cosmos.

Edited by No601_Swallow

some interesting points...

* WoL is the most populated server. This indicates that it is the favorite for most. Anyone care to speculate as to why?

* Germans tend to outnumber Allies, most of the time, on all but DEDExpert. BUT not by much. what may be interesting to see on such graphs is the number of wins and scores over these population numbers. do less allies accomplish more? do the germans get more air kills vs allies gnd targets?

* TAW is a young server, but has come on strong. Will be interesting to watch as they refine the maps/missions.

1. Wings of Liberty has a lower entry level (navigational assistance) and relatively small maps with straightforward targets. For somebody with limited time/looking for a quick fix/little experience in game but learning the ropes, it's perfect because you can focus on flying and shooting.

2. Generally the Axis side scores more air victories but the Allied side scores more ground victories, though the opposite happens often. I attribute this to the more straightforward Luftwaffe fighters (they fly faster and gain altitude faster, versus the Allied ones which require more tactical prowess) and the more straightforward Soviet attack aircraft (both the Il-2 and Pe-2 shine as pure attackers - go over the target, enter at any angle between 30º and 90º and shoot 'til you drop, with good damage resistance against ground and air fire).

3. After two tours of refinements TAW has indeed been on fire, which is great. I've seen a lot of improvement recently in online terms, and I think they're doing well. Up until very recently the work was focused on creating a solid base for a simulator that is world-class, and they have. From now one as we've seen they can work on a more even rate between game improvements and content (for example, parallel development of DX11 conversion, two new premium aircraft and another module).

regarding game population/sales...

More and more options/alternatives for the "gamer" have/are becoming available. These are going to attract attention away from any single game. a game must be multifaceted nowadays to get and keep attention.

if you ask me, I think the promise for the future is to develop a way to integrate the different games. in other words, for the player to 'see' other game (tanks, ships, troops) activities in his native game (BoS) - even if they are not complex models - and interact with them in some way (like bombs or bullets). also, if I had the 'modules' I was interested in (planes, tanks, ships, troops, etc) I could 'push' into another one whenever appropriate (such as a downed pilot now being in a troop/combat sim)

anyways, this game is quite involved and has quite a learning curve in the MP servers (lots of experienced competition there). it takes quite a time commitment.

• Upvote 1

Let me spare the dying beast a couple of blows, if I can.

1. Client side hosting really isn't difficult. It's a bit annoying and needlessly convoluted, but if you can stomach getting a second free (FREE!) BoS account and then - here's the thing- running another program (alongside your TIR, for instance) before/while you launch your game, then it works well. It doesn't seem to drain too many resources, at least in my  experience. Coop mission with your buddies are perfectly possible, so long as someone puts a mission together (and - hopefully increasingly - they don't even have to do that, since various generous souls are donating their work in the mission building forum.

A caveat with that is that whatever mission it is that you've got lined up in the DServer will fire up. Therefore, of course, triggers are important for mission design, and nothing occurs in a BoS mission without some sort of trigger (even just the boring old "Mission Begin" trigger!

2. A matter of opinion, I suppose. Personally, I find the badly named "Campaign" is now a lot of fun. I've started doing missions on "Expert" now that I'm more confident in my navigation. Not perfect, but still...

3. Not going with the learning curve thing. My squadron was decimated by the step up to CloD. We've found BoS to be a time to relax after CloD's fun with blowing your tires on the runway or - even more fun - not being able to climb at all in the Blenheim without blowing both engines... Basically, we found BoS in general to be a pretty good compromise between '46 and something like DCS. CloD, I've got to say, was just all over the shop. Some things were modelled in excruciating detail, and other things - like, say, spotlights, or trees or London - not at all.

Grr-CloD. It's like a vicious come-down after some mind-bending trip-to-the-cosmos.

All good points! I've used the dserver before and it works fine, but my point was that it's nowhere near as intuitive as hosting a stock coop mission in Hyperlobby like in the [g]olden days. For the guy (or gal) who has 4-6 hours of free time in a whole week to play a flightsim, to your options being limited to - really - one server unless you're a total geek like us, you'll spend your time on other games. #2 & #3 are mostly opinion based too. I actually thought CloD was a bit easier in terms of engine management and all the rest. 

In my opinion, what will propel this sim's numbers is a mid/late war western front theater. 

WOL is offline tonight. And no one is available after hours to fix it. This is not their fault, their server is free and they can fix it when they get around to it. However, the lack of a good solid, populated North American server is having an impact. For better or worse, right now WOL is the ONLY multi-player option for casual pick-up players. People who just bought the game are not going to leap into TAW. Master servers outages ( two in the last couple of months) and WOL hang ups that happen and can't be addressed because we are in the "wrong" time zone, all add up. Resources need to be made to promote a solid server here on this side of the ocean. Not just dserver, but stats, scripting, the whole shebang. So far as I can tell, not a lot of this server code is shared. People want to keep the competitive advantage to ensure their servers get the players. So it looks like the server will all remaining Europe and its a bummer. I would like to fly this game with a decent ping someday.

Salute Gents!

To be fair, 6 months ago, the USA East Coast prime time numbers were only half of what they are now--- 12 months ago we could only play on weekends! On an objective based server, there is plenty of action happening with 20-30 people, and anything above that is just sweet tactical gravy.

The real issue I see is that the developers leave it entirely up to the community to build something awesome--- they only provide the base set of tools to build it on. Special thanks to WOL and TAW for driving the online development even further and providing us multiplayer only guys some quality action. :salute:

Edited by NO_SQDeriku777

Thanks for putting this together. May I suggest changing the blue for another color, more visible with the dark background?

Thanks for putting this together. May I suggest changing the blue for another color, more visible with the dark background?

Updated to a lighter blue for readability.  Charts will auto update in 15 minutes.

Didn't Jason help set up a NA server? It's all down to the people to populate it, there are enough players who want ab alternative so as long as you join the server and stick around, others should too :)

I don't know anything about that server. What is the name? Where/when was it promoted by the Devs? Is it a vanilla server with no stats or advanced functions that can compete with WOL or TAW? If so, no one will want to fly it.

WOL just crashed again for the 3rd day in a row. This, just after the latest update and the official release of BOM. I cannot find a populated server to play on right now (DF servers like Berloga don't count) and I just quit the game in disgust. If I just downloaded and bought BOS/BOM and tried hopping into multiplayer in my time zone I would be one pissed off consumer. Devs need to clone WOL, plop it into a data enter in North America with North American admins so and ensure it remains up. Bonus points for integrating the stats with the Russian stats servers.

Didn't Jason help set up a NA server? It's all down to the people to populate it, there are enough players who want ab alternative so as long as you join the server and stick around, others should too :)

Edited by NO_SQDeriku777

It's all down to the people to populate it

You know that's kind of like saying it's up to football fans to fill up a baseball stadium.  If the football fans care nothing about baseball why is it their fault the game is not full.  People over here . . . . . . . couldn't give a rats ass about a lagg or yak or La . . . . . . so obvious the eastern front game is not going to fill up servers on this side.  It's not our fault.  In general we don't care about your planes.  

Would Russians populate an American Civil War game.   :lol:   Noooooooooo they would't.   :lol: 

I wrote more but after I got over being pissed about once again the only server being down for two nights in a row. . . . . . . I thought better.  We're all friends.  I just wish I had some toys that I enjoy.  Right now there's not.  

I don't agree with this. I like the game. I'm OK with the planes. I JUST CAN'T RELIABLY FIND POPULATED SERVERS TO PLAY IN MY TIMEZONE. Why am I going to stump up more money for BOM, DLC planes, or future theaters if nothing is being done to address this problem? This is a crying shame. What is the path to get new players into the game from the U.S., just single player?

You know that's kind of like saying it's up to football fans to fill up a baseball stadium.  If the football fans care nothing about baseball why is it their fault the game is not full.  People over here . . . . . . . couldn't give a rats ass about a lagg or yak or La . . . . . . so obvious the eastern front game is not going to fill up servers on this side.  It's not our fault.  In general we don't care about your planes.  

Would Russians populate an American Civil War game.   :lol:   Noooooooooo they would't.   :lol: 

I wrote more but after I got over being pissed about once again the only server being down for two nights in a row. . . . . . . I thought better.  We're all friends.  I just wish I had some toys that I enjoy.  Right now there's not.

What is the path to get new players into the game from the U.S.

I'm OK with the planes

You just answered your own question in the same post.  

Ok doesn't sell.  People must like something to play or buy it.  

???

People who play this game do so because they like WW2 History and aviation from that time, they would play it as long as it recreates with somewhat accuracy a certain battle/theater, even if it's a rather unknown theater. That kind of thinking is more in line with mainstream fps gamers than historical flight sim enthusiasts.

Edited by -=PLR=-SuperEtendard

Then why are Americans more open to CLoD(if they even were, I can only go by opinions I read on here) ?  I think it's just familiarity.  The eastern front doesn't grab them right off the bat in the same way because it isn't depicted in popular culture west of Germany, and never has been.

Maybe you have an awareness of the eastern front(80% plus of all German war losses were on eastern front, blah blah...) and you still don't like it, which I can respect.  But I think a lot of Americans would be more open to it if Steven Spielberg would make a film set on the eastern front.  Or if "Sands of Iwo Jima" had been "Sands of Sevastopol".

Edited by Silas

Then why do Americans like CLoD?  I think it's just familiarity. 

The eastern front doesn't grab them

You guys are making my point for me.   :lol:  

There is nothing wrong with liking pizza over pudding.  It is what it is.  

The American time zone is dead because many people don't care to fly planes that mean nothing to them.  80% of my squad don't fly because they said screw it.  It's funny to me.  I bet it's not funny to the devs.

regarding game population/sales...

More and more options/alternatives for the "gamer" have/are becoming available. These are going to attract attention away from any single game. a game must be multifaceted nowadays to get and keep attention.

if you ask me, I think the promise for the future is to develop a way to integrate the different games. in other words, for the player to 'see' other game (tanks, ships, troops) activities in his native game (BoS) - even if they are not complex models - and interact with them in some way (like bombs or bullets). also, if I had the 'modules' I was interested in (planes, tanks, ships, troops, etc) I could 'push' into another one whenever appropriate (such as a downed pilot now being in a troop/combat sim)

anyways, this game is quite involved and has quite a learning curve in the MP servers (lots of experienced competition there). it takes quite a time commitment.

Man, I have been barking up that tree for a while.  No one seems to get it though, or at least think it feasible, but I always imagined a PlanetSide 2 type game for WWII.  I understand the devs have a lot going on, however I can't stop thinking about how amazing it would be to have the ability to fight on the ground for objectives (as Infantry) along side the tanks, while Ju-87's dive in from above with their sirens blaring, dropping bombs on your head and flying off.  You could pop smoke to help friendly aircraft find your location and prevent friendly fire.  However I hear that it's just too resource intensive to pull off :(

WOL is offline tonight. And no one is available after hours to fix it. This is not their fault, their server is free and they can fix it when they get around to it. However, the lack of a good solid, populated North American server is having an impact. For better or worse, right now WOL is the ONLY multi-player option for casual pick-up players. People who just bought the game are not going to leap into TAW. Master servers outages ( two in the last couple of months) and WOL hang ups that happen and can't be addressed because we are in the "wrong" time zone, all add up. Resources need to be made to promote a solid server here on this side of the ocean. Not just dserver, but stats, scripting, the whole shebang. So far as I can tell, not a lot of this server code is shared. People want to keep the competitive advantage to ensure their servers get the players. So it looks like the server will all remaining Europe and its a bummer. I would like to fly this game with a decent ping someday.

I was just thinking that too.  When it gets to be this time of night in the western hemisphere the only people really populating a server in Russia are usually North/Central/South Americans.  So why not have a server over here with the same basic setup as WOL (but with bombs and rockets for the P-40 ;)  ) and stats.  If we make a point to play on it then people will join.  Now if more lend-lease aircraft (or a pacific theater :) ) get put into the store then that will only help the NA numbers and we will be glad the server is established.  Only problem is, how do we go about establishing this kind of thing?

Edited by 19.G//p3zman

Ohh just trolling around before I hit the bed because there is nothing to do.  Why?

Because the American time zone is Dead!  :lol:  At least I had some fun on here tonight.   ;)

I was just thinking that too.  When it gets to be this time of night in the western hemisphere the only people really populating a server in Russia are usually North/Central/South Americans.  So why not have a server over here with the same basic setup as WOL (but with bombs and rockets for the P-40 ;)  ) and stats.  If we make a point to play on it then people will join.  Now if more lend-lease aircraft (or a pacific theater :) ) get put into the store then that will only help the NA numbers and we will be glad the server is established.  Only problem is, how do we go about establishing this kind of thing?

The issue is the overlap in time.   Those USA based players will always join the 10-20 person server in Russia (the late night leftovers from Western Europe and Off hours Asia) vs joining a 1-5 person server in the US...  

If Wings of Liberty consistently locked up at 6:45PM Eastern time every day (like it has for the last 4 days), then there could be potential in getting a US based server up and running; however, who's ready to make the time/effort/money investment, with a guarantee that people will almost always choose the more popular server--- once WOL gets their issues worked out?

The Devs need to take more of an interest in ensuring that a populated server ( and the server browser ) is always up and available in ALL time zones. They have been content to let WOL function as the main default MP server. They don't control WOL. It's continued downtime is actively affecting their BRAND here in the U.S. Who is going to buy more DLC as long as this continues?

The issue is the overlap in time.   Those USA based players will always join the 10-20 person server in Russia (the late night leftovers from Western Europe and Off hours Asia) vs joining a 1-5 person server in the US...  

If Wings of Liberty consistently locked up at 6:45PM Eastern time every day (like it has for the last 4 days), then there could be potential in getting a US based server up and running; however, who's ready to make the time/effort/money investment, with a guarantee that people will almost always choose the more popular server--- once WOL gets their issues worked out?

The Devs need to take more of an interest in ensuring that a populated server ( and the server browser ) is always up and available in ALL time zones. They have been content to let WOL function as the main default MP server. They don't control WOL. It's continued downtime is actively affecting their BRAND here in the U.S. Who is going to buy more DLC as long as this continues?

How are they going to ensure a server is populated all the time? Pay people to play when the server is empty?

To be fair, there are plenty of servers up that never get played.  I don't think that's the problem.  The Eagles Nest was the last great NA server that was up that I recall, and it was a shame it went down since it had some really fun and well crafted missions. Though I understand it was more of an issue of paying for it.

Like it was for RoF, I never noticed much of an issue flying on EU servers with NA ping in this game.  I think it's more a stigma than anything that if your server options are ones where you would have higher ping, you shouldn't bother with it.  And that goes for both NA and EU communities. 

That said, I'd love for a good NA server to start up again.  Even the other night after the BOM release, I saw 60 some players on WoL around 10-11pm EST.  If that trend continues, I don't think there will be an issue with low server pop.