Gump

Cockpit/Engine noise way too loud

i mean it completely drowns out all other sounds, like the 'beeps' in chat, the canned radio comms, the bullet hits and almost completely guns.

im not talking about TS, etc. im talking about other in-game sounds.

i just installed the latest headphone software/driver (corsair vengeance 2100), in an attempt to stop the CTD's. i didnt notice the sound disparity before then. i adjusted some kind of compression setting somewhere on my system and it helped some, but other sounds are still very faint in relation to the engine/cockpit.

what do i do to fox this?

• Confused 1

Lower your volume % to 12.

There was no way to lower the volume of the engine in real life. I can barely hear myself in a SR22 without headphones and that only has a 320hp engine with I'd assume, some modern noise reduction stuff.

Now take it back to 1942 with a 1400hp Bf-109, I bet it was deafening.

• Upvote 3

I read a p51 pilot mention he couldn't hear his own guns shooting over the engine sound. And usually only noticed hits from the vibration. Pretty crazy how loud those things are.

• Upvote 3

I found lowering in-game sound lowered the quality of the various sound effects, so I put my in-game sound to 100% and use the Windows audio mixer. Added benefit is you can change it on the fly with an alt+tab, without going into the game menu. 

I found lowering in-game sound lowered the quality of the various sound effects, so I put my in-game sound to 100% and use the Windows audio mixer. Added benefit is you can change it on the fly with an alt+tab, without going into the game menu. 

+1

Most keyboards have a volume control on them nowadays?

Cheers Dakpilot

The volume control on the keyboard adjust the volume of every program running, lowering like that and you'll lower TS aswell.

As CG suggest lowering in the mixer is the best option.

More anecdotal evidence is found in Hartmann's bio where it is mentioned that his lead mechanic knew that he would have to shout at Hartmann for the first few minutes after he landed because he (Hartmann) was usually temporarily deafened by sitting behind that ultra-loud engine for an hour or more.

Makes one wonder how these guys were able to use their radios. Not sure how good their "noise-cancelling"-equipment was back then.

From personal experience: I've sat in the cockpit of a Pilatus PC-12 for the entire flight from Cologne to their factory in Switzerland. Engine is mounted in the nose, so you're sitting right behind it (pretty much like you would in a WW2-fighter). And while it's a jet-engine (not a piston-one), the noise level in the cockpit is unbearable once you take the headphones off. There was no way I could've talked to the pilot sitting right next to me without the use of the intercom.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

One of the aircraft I flew commercially was so loud it had a health restriction on how many hours you were allowed to fly each month

there was a joke that if you spent your career in it you would lose your hearing in your right ear during your Co-pilot years and then the other when you made Captain.

Whilst I am all for historical realism as much as possible, that may be going a step too far  :)

Understandably in a Game/Sim there have to be some concessions for gameplay etc.

Cheers Dakpilot

This sound issue has been going on for quite some time . Some have taken too headsets and say that they can hear all the impact sounds as well as flak sounds . 

Just hang in there adjust the sound through windows mixer , however when you re-spawn the engine sounds will be high again .  :mellow:

And talking of the real life pun , if this is the case for the defence of this game , how come i can here impact sounds on the aircraft in front of me very clearly .

Surly the real life engine sounds would drown this out  .  :huh:   lol . 

At the end of the day this has been a complaint for quite some time . 

• Upvote 2

It is the way FMOD sound engine system works

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMOD

To change this issue is not so simple, it is one of the drawbacks, however FMOD has many benefits as witnessed by the amount of Dev's that use it

This issue (hit sounds sound from in front) has been explained for quite some time, it is largely unrelated to the impact and flack sounds issue experienced by some

Cheers Dakpilot

It is the way FMOD sound engine system works

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMOD

To change this issue is not so simple, it is one of the drawbacks, however FMOD has many benefits as witnessed by the amount of Dev's that use it

This issue (hit sounds sound from in front) has been explained for quite some time, it is largely unrelated to the impact and flack sounds issue experienced by some

Cheers Dakpilot

I see , thanks for your reply Dark .

Is this sound system used in ROF ` sorry i am not that technical . 

When i use Teamspeak i end up yelling because the background noise is so loud. Then my wife starts yelling at me to stfu.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

Jade I run my TS through my monitor/tv speakers and can control volume independent of my pc game volume.

Jade I run my TS through my monitor/tv speakers and can control volume independent of my pc game volume.

Im usually using headhones to hang the trackir clip and also to let my wife watch tv in the same room (small apartment).

So i guess that wont work until we move out to a larger house where i can have my man cave.

If your monitor is connected via hdmi, the monitor may have a headphone jack. As you can see I have had to get creative, I too have a wife to "dance" around. how the heck did i post this in here? darn phone.  sorry guys.

Edited by 6./ZG1_GrendelsDad

thx all...i did not realize it was by design. i thought i horked something up installing an updated driver/util. strange thing is that it was not like that previously. oh well, at least i know now that i'll need to employ some kind of 'coping' mechanism and not a 'fix'.

heh. before i could hear hits, guns, radio comms rather easily. seemed like it worked well.

but the CTD's would always get me if i played a single session too long. havent had a CTD yet (updated driver), but havent played a long session with it yet. sure hope the update fixes something, not just messes up something.

Gump make sure you have the sound quality set to high as mine has reset itself after a patch before.  Also make sure under audio setting your speaker config(in game and in windows audio setting) is set to stereo if you are using headphone as 5.1 might not come through correctly.  If you tried all of this sorry just some simple things I have been through one time or another.

I kind of like the option in DCS where you can choose sound as you hear it in helmet, witch means comms are not affected both in game and ts

• Upvote 1

Along time ago in one of the aviation rags I read in college, I remember a P 51 pilot saying that being in the cockpit was like being in a tin roofed shack in a ball bearing storm...

:lol:

As far as US WW2 aircraft go, it is widely accepted that the loudest plane in the inventory was the B 25.  The Wright engines had very short exhaust stacks and would (still do if the "noise reduction kit" pipes are not fitted) hammer the sides of the fuselage with a sonic blast.  I can attest to this having flown in one.  I have spoken to two WW2 vets who flew '25s and they both exhibited pretty serious hearing loss, that the both attribute to their time in B 25s.

Nothing build during wartime was made to last nor for  comfort. Design made before the war and rebuild ones (restored ones) are far better in every way when it comes to quality. I guess the helmets now are pretty sound proof too

I run Teamspeak on a separate laptop PC with logitech headphones and the game sounds through external speakers from the desktop PC playing the game. Concerning hearing loss, back in '97 or '98 I was in charge of the first static-line parachute jump at 1st Special Forces Group using the C-17 aircraft. The A/C uses a computer nav instead of a human navigator, and because they were having issues with it I had to hang out the door per jumpmaster procedure on seven passes over the drop zone. The engine noise was literally deafening, much worse than a C-130 or 141. I have had tinitis ever since. 

• Thanks 1

Oh my god.

Sometimes my own stupidity astounds me.

I was reading this thread and starting thinking,...hmm, my sound hasn't sounded right for a while, so I actually took a peek at the corsair headset software.

I thought this would probably just be a casae of reading about a problem makes you think you have one, but no, my own ineptitude started to become apparent.

Why was my software saying 'Now playing 2.0 Stereo' when IL2 was running?

attachicon.gifOff.png

A quick search on the web found out I needed to click the big 'power' button, and lo,...suddenly 'surround sound' and IL2 sounds much better.

attachicon.gifOn.png

God knows how long this has been stuck on stereo.

The shame.

:blush:

:music:

:biggrin:

well, chiefwildhair, i believe that utility installs default like that. the big blue button has to be pushed after installation or it remains in stereo. (im guessing here). that's what i found, anyways, by accident.

...and i certainly went looking for whatever it was that suddenly had the engine and wind noise amped up (and preamped up) way beyond everything else  - i wish that big blue button would have fixed it...but it didnt.

I run Teamspeak on a separate laptop PC with logitech headphones and the game sounds through external speakers from the desktop PC playing the game. Concerning hearing loss, back in '97 or '98 I was in charge of the first static-line parachute jump at 1st Special Forces Group using the C-17 aircraft. The A/C uses a computer nav instead of a human navigator, and because they were having issues with it I had to hang out the door per jumpmaster procedure on seven passes over the drop zone. The engine noise was literally deafening, much worse than a C-130 or 141. I have had tinitis ever since. 

This sounds like a good approach, if available, also keeping teamspeak off the main computer's CPU can only help, I believe TS is available for Android and IOS so could be run off an Ipad or tablet?

If using headphones one could run TS on some earbuds, TS on a smartphone is an experiment I have not had time to do or think about how to organise the mike, most smartphones have 'hands free earbud/mike cable capability available. If i ever get it sorted I will make a report.

I like to blame my occasional tinnitus on advancing years but it is also probably Aviation career and exposure to ordnance that is to blame  :)

Cheers Dakpilot

Not discounting any of the other suggested solutions, but is there any reason not to just turn the game's relative volume down and TS volume up using the Windows audio 'volume mixer'? That way, whatever level you set your master volume (system master volume or via external speakers/headphones), the ratio between the programs remains correct.

I've tried that and it seems to work great. Likewise, unlike others I don't appear to have the issue of needing to re-do it every time...I'll try to confirm it tonight, but last time I checked Windows 10 'remembered' that I turned the IL2 volume down and my TS volume up. I'll post back if that is not the case.

Edit: typo

Edited by 19.G//Rekt
  • Upvote 1

The headset solution is viable i have Sennheiser PC 350 headphones to use with my Trackir 5 Pro too

with not sound issues everything is well adjusted with the sounds and TS3.

Edited by WTornado

in case someone doesn't realize this, TeamSpeak volume vs Game sounds volume is not the issue discussed in the OP. those two respond to separate volume controls and a person can set them relative to each other.

the OP issue has nothing to do with TS, or windows system sounds. it is speaking of all sounds originating from the game itself, and only seem to be accessed from one, single, universal volume adjustment. in other words, if one turns down the engine volume (game volume), all the other sounds decrease also. again, if you try to reduce the engine/cockpit noise in order to hear guns/hits/other planes, the guns/hits/other planes sounds reduce also. note: TS is not affected by this volume control.

i will try some of the suggestions mentioned to try and subdue the engine/wind noise relative to the guns/hits/other planes/chat beeps/canned comms (ie: "im wounded"), etc.

.... but i wonder if some ppl dont have this problem, since i didnt seem to have it before the headphone driver update. maybe its just a setting somewhere, as someone mentioned.

Hi ,

if you have trouble to hear something in TS use these settings :)

Works very good and there is no need to try it again and again with all other sound settings.

Sorry it's only in German !!

Regards

GD

post-14424-0-83934200-1469031321_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yes Gump, I do realise I'm talking across your OP, sorry.

no problem...just making sure it is clear that they are two different issues to avoid confusion.

no problem...just making sure it is clear that they are two different issues to avoid confusion.

Ah, sorry. I am the confusion that needs to be avoided apparently LOL

ok, I have finally got it back to where I can hear the other stuff somewhat (guns,hits,canned comms, etc) thru the engine (though the engine is still loud...

the setting that makes the real difference is STEREO vs surround. I HAD to set the phones and playback to STEREO, as any attempt with surround 7.1 enabled would yield an overwhelming engine noise.

.... with STEREO setting employed, I think I gained a little more with the windows sound properties enhancements, especially "loudness equalization" with the settings for that set to Release/Time="Short". I also enabled the "virtual sound" button (encodes surround for xfer as stereo output..) but I don't think that did much.

ps. sorry chiefWTH, your discovery seems to be of no avail (for this game anyways).

Edited by Gump

This sound problem is still the same today.

The default sound volume of the engine when the camera is at the pilot's position is so high that I wouldn't be surprised this title would require a health hazard mention (and I'm not joking).

So everytime I start a mission I have to lower the volume of everything, as said before it lowers all sounds, including the radio. In reality you have a helmet in which you hear the radio more clearly (except VHF distortion and so on). It would be a good solution to have this helmet emulation like in other sims.

With the external view, however, the sound is very low for some reason, the difference is striking.

I'm not buying the FMOD explanation, perhaps it has changed since then. There's a mixer with individual volumes for each channel, or did I look at the wrong place?

4 minutes ago, Redglyph said:

This sound problem is still the same today.

The default sound volume of the engine when the camera is at the pilot's position is so high that I wouldn't be surprised this title would require a health hazard mention (and I'm not joking).

So everytime I start a mission I have to lower the volume of everything, as said before it lowers all sounds, including the radio. In reality you have a helmet in which you hear the radio more clearly (except VHF distortion and so on). It would be a good solution to have this helmet emulation like in other sims.

With the external view, however, the sound is very low for some reason, the difference is striking.

I'm not buying the FMOD explanation, perhaps it has changed since then. There's a mixer with individual volumes for each channel, or did I look at the wrong place?

WHAT DID YOU SAY ?

• Haha 1

My brother in law has hearing damage from his time flying his Pitts Special.  I met a former RAF English Electric Lighting Pilot who was deaf as a post which he put down to cockpit noise and said all his mates were in a similar boat. 

Engine noise doesn't bother me, What bothers me is the fact that I can hear my guns fire and hear impacts.

Even if I can't disable the sounds I'd like an option to lower them, currently the guns and impacts are too loud.

Iirc DCS does a good job of this, I can barely hear my guns fire when flying the P-51.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Engine noise doesn't bother me, What bothers me is the fact that I can hear my guns fire and hear impacts.

Even if I can't disable the sounds I'd like an option to lower them, currently the guns and impacts are too loud.

Iirc DCS does a good job of this, I can barely hear my guns fire when flying the P-51.

If the guns could hardly be heard in real life, I think this should be implemented, if only for the sake of authenticity.

10 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Yup that's how it should be, very little noise from the guns should be heard especially for wing mounted weapons, if they are located in the nose i can see why it might be louder but not much.

The sounds do not bother me in the least.

Never gave a thought to gun sounds being too loud or too quiet. 

Especially in a 2+ year old thread on cockpit /engine noise being too loud.

;)

Edited by dburne

The gunfire sounds have been intentionally changed to version V2.003 (August 2016). Until then, everything was fine and in my opinion correctly implemented.

A simple slider would do the trick. One slider for engine sounds, and one slider for environmental sounds and everybody would be happy, I guess?