Sign in to follow this  
Fifi

Airfield runway lenght

Hi,

The actual small map is a fantasy one (or fictional), but was wondering if the Lapino runway length wasn't a bit too short...

Nothing to measure it yet ingame (like with ME) so don't know how accurate it can be, and don't know either how long Est front runways were in RL.

Any info on this? Do you think it's accurate length?

Just because there are almost no ways to land the Lagg at given speeds without flaps unless ending far off. Even half flaps out, it's a kind of challenge to stop before runway's end. And full flaps out, touching early runway, you may not forget to jump on the brakes!

I never exceeded 200Km/h though.

I think some others airfields of this map may have more longer runways, it seems? (the one for night landing mission)

But i wish the landing track was a bit longer nevertheless...and landing future BF 109 on Lapino runway isn't very happy ending promised  :wacko:

Edited by Fifi

Good point, same came up to me either. However am unsure if it is supposed to be tht short and i am just still too fast in my landing approach.Neverthtless I cant imagine to take off with loaded bomber. Probably we finally get first time in contact with airfield and airstrip at which only a few sort of planes will be able to land. In Il2 or CLodo appearently each filed was fine to land or start from, wit hwhatever aircraft but a jet.

Sorry to add to your question, but I have been wondering if the runway surface is is also a factor.  Some of those runways seemed to be ice, and I wondered if we had less traction there.

It's a short runway, no doubt about that. Fine for a fighter but a bomber is probably a no go. There were some bigger airfields scattered about however. Nothing with a "long" runway, but lapino didn't appear the longest. I think another issue is the bounciness of the gear. It's hard to stop a plane quickly when you spend the first half of the runway just trying to get the wheels to stick.

If you look on the map - the lapino airfield seems to have the shortest runway of all the airfields available on alpha map.

The germans often had only short strips available in the last years of the war. That´s why they didn´t do the "British Landing". You don´t need much more than half the runway, if you touch three point 20m behind the threshold. 

Edited by Quax

Lapino certainly isn't a Pe-2 base as you have to land fast and flat in those. I'm sure the Stalingrad bases will be bigger though - I've been to Gumrak and it's huge and Tatsi could take 300 aircraft on the ground so I doubt there'll be a problem if the designers have the base plans.

My favourite is one of those on the IL-2 Burma map (Tulihal?) The American surveyors measured it in feet and the British/Indian builders built it in yards. It's huge!

I agree that the Lapino runway is on the short side but the key is to get the three point landing down pat.

Once you've manged to land on three points with little to no bounce the plane comes to a stop very fast as you are basically stalling it onto the runway.

I've seen me coming in too fast, not getting her to settle down till half way up the runway and still being able to stop in time.

The advice in this post helped my understand the proper way to execute a good three point landing:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/2212-impressions-real-world-high-performance-taildragger-pilot/

If you look on the map - the lapino airfield seems to have the shortest runway of all the airfields available on alpha map.

Confirmed!

post-16858-0-26478700-1385201249_thumb.png

I doubt you had standardised runway lengths in WWII. When reading eye witness accounts some runways used then where very short!

And still it was possible to land very large aircraft or ones that do not slow down that fast, thinking of some of the early jets.

It is a practice thing. I remember in IL2 it was a challenge at one time who can land the largest or fastest aircraft on a carrier,

which is compared to land based runways very short!

Fuer-Erwachsene_zpscae736ef.gif

Why would you land without flaps unless they were broken?

I like the short runway, it adds to the pure flying challenge.

• Upvote 1

Why would you land without flaps unless they were broken?

I like the short runway, it adds to the pure flying challenge.

Broken flaps will surely happens at some point, when damage model will be done.

I like too flying challenges, but once i'm used to the plane...

Lapino isn't a good airfield to learn, it would have been wise to learn to handle the Lagg on regular "standart" runway...at least for the first sessions.

Then you can make your hand on very short tracks!

Soviets doesn't seem to care for so many broken planes!  :biggrin:

But that's true, i forgot it's only virtual lifes and planes!  :P