Han

Game version 2.002 discussion: HTC VIVE, Ranks, New vehicles

A question for those who could test it (I can't, so I'll ask): does this ranking system have any influence at all on the player's aircraft position in the flight formation? Will I still be the leader if my level is 0?

Edited by Picchio

A shot in the dark but have you tried running the game from il2.exe instead of the launcher?

Nope, didn't helped.

Does anyone know which military ranks are available/used? Mentioned were Major, Leutenant and Senior Leutenant. I assume there are more but when and under what circumstances do you get promoted? What is lowest rank, what is the highest rank? Anyone know?

Will new vehicles et all start showing up in old & new campaigns or will they available only for 3rd party mission planners & thats primarily where we will first see them appear?

( Personally I wish we'd see a few more tank missions where these might show up as well... :rolleyes: )

New Marder showed up as targets in quick mission, IL-2 free flight 

Bloody hell. I literally bought the game yesterday :D

Your increasing number of tanks is interesting... Too interesting. Any links to mod tools or something? I would love to see some PzIV F2 and KV in game.

Kudos to the team. Might have to offer il2 Bo's to a friend of mine so I can support you again...

F2 and KV are already in BoS but not crewable

Cheers Dakpilot

Same here, I also own Vive, if I'll change the or_enable line to 1 I'm unable to launch the sim. Without VR it runs fine.

+1

Also, with SteamVR running, it refuses to start, saying it does not support VR. So very early support for sure if they didn't set any related flags either.

Hoping for a hotfix - VR was the number one reason I abandoned this sim. The 109 wobbling the number two reason. Was that fixed in the meantime, btw?

• Upvote 1

+1

Also, with SteamVR running, it refuses to start,

-snip-

2. Basic support for Steam VR added (HTC Vive). To try it, install Steam VR to install Vive drivers, but close it before running the game, since it accesses the Vive directly. Edit the line or_enable in data\startup.cfg so it reads or_enable = 1 and run the game. If you feel that interface is too close you may also set parameter or_fov_gui = 0.5;

Does that portion of the instructions not work?

Edited by Space_Ghost

So as quite many have allready admitted that they could not successfully launch the game in VR mode, I ask you to hold on with your purchases on the HTC Vive if you plan to buy it primmarely for IL2 Series. Wait for the devs to repair the patch, this pach does not Support the HTC Vive, as least it's broken for many customers and we have no one yet announced that it works for him!

If you own a Vive and you haven't been able to find the instructions, in order to get it running, you need to change one file to set up the VR-Mode for IL-2 BOS. All you Need to is:

Go into the Folder where you have installed the game, for steam users, you will be able to find it in your Steamapps Folder and for the people who installed it using the nonsteam Client it will be the in the Directory where you have installed it.
Once you have found the Location where you have installed your game, follow the following Folders:  /IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad / data / startup.cfg

Open this "Startup.cfg" file with a regular text Editor and look for the entry "or_enable". You should find a entry under the graphics tab called or_enable = 0. Change that value 0 to value 1, so it will say "or_enable = 1". then safe the changes.

As far as i have understood you shall not start steamVR in order to Launch il2 in VR mode, since  IL-2 does Launch steamVR by itself. IF you start steamVR manually before launching the game, the game will run in theatre mode, because Steam is unaware of il-2 beeing able to Support VR. In other words, just do the changes to the Startup.cfg, leave your HTC VIVE off, and run the il-2.exe, the application will automatically turn on your VIVE.

I have tried using the steam Client, as well the non steam Client, both Crash before the game even launched at the moment once you have changed the entry in the startup.cfg.
I tried all sorts of things, using compatibility mode, administrative mode, deactivating direct mode on the vr, shutting down anti-Virus Software, reinstalling all Drivers, DirectX, graphic Card Drivers, all sorts of things a human could possibly think of, unfortunetally nothing worked out.

So please wait for the community until they Report il-2 successfully running before purchasing a VIve. The Price of the vive Units drop intensly at the Moment, if solving the Problem will take 2 more months you might safe another 50-100 Bucks on a unit (used). I would definetly recommend buying a used one, since you can get those allready for 700€ in Germany, no Trouble getting used Units, they all have warranty if the seller is worth to be trusted.

Let's hope they'll fix the issue soon :) I'll let you know when I got it running.

Edited by Rauchenderkolben
  • Upvote 2

АБ-1 - авиационная броня (armor for aviation).

Look here.

So, like, the armour value was readjusted based on a forum post which is giving an incomplete picture based on a few figures from a couple of articles in some magazines? Not answering my original question, but still quite a revelation.

• Upvote 1

HAHAHA

I literally was about to test a new VR demo, saw an update for BOS/BOM and thought 'damn, I really hope the devs are looking into OpenVR support...'.

About to go test now, very exciting!

HAHAHA

I literally was about to test a new VR demo, saw an update for BOS/BOM and thought 'damn, I really hope the devs are looking into OpenVR support...'.

About to go test now, very exciting!

please tell us if you can get it running in VR-Mode

So as quite many have allready admitted that they could not successfully launch the game in VR mode, I ask you to hold on with your purchases on the HTC Vive if you plan to buy it primmarely for IL2 Series. Wait for the devs to repair the patch, this pach does not Support the HTC Vive, as least it's broken for many customers and we have no one yet announced that it works for him!

If you own a Vive and you haven't been able to find the instructions, in order to get it running, you need to change one file to set up the VR-Mode for IL-2 BOS. All you Need to is:

Go into the Folder where you have installed the game, for steam users, you will be able to find it in your Steamapps Folder and for the people who installed it using the nonsteam Client it will be the in the Directory where you have installed it.

Once you have found the Location where you have installed your game, follow the following Folders:  /IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad / data / startup.cfg

Open this "Startup.cfg" file with a regular text Editor and look for the entry "or_enable". You should find a entry under the graphics tab called or_enable = 0. Change that value 0 to value 1, so it will say "or_enable = 1". then safe the changes.

As far as i have understood you shall not start steamVR in order to Launch il2 in VR mode, since  IL-2 does Launch steamVR by itself. IF you start steamVR manually before launching the game, the game will run in theatre mode, because Steam is unaware of il-2 beeing able to Support VR. In other words, just do the changes to the Startup.cfg, leave your HTC VIVE off, and run the il-2.exe, the application will automatically turn on your VIVE.

I have tried using the steam Client, as well the non steam Client, both Crash before the game even launched at the moment once you have changed the entry in the startup.cfg.

I tried all sorts of things, using compatibility mode, administrative mode, deactivating direct mode on the vr, shutting down anti-Virus Software, reinstalling all Drivers, DirectX, graphic Card Drivers, all sorts of things a human could possibly think of, unfortunetally nothing worked out.

So please wait for the community until they Report il-2 successfully running before purchasing a VIve. The Price of the vive Units drop intensly at the Moment, if solving the Problem will take 2 more months you might safe another 50-100 Bucks on a unit (used). I would definetly recommend buying a used one, since you can get those allready for 700€ in Germany, no Trouble getting used Units, they all have warranty if the seller is worth to be trusted.

Let's hope they'll fix the issue soon :) I'll let you know when I got it running.

Thank you !

Same problem, il2.exe stop working when "or_enable = 1" and with steam launcher steam launch SteamVR without asking me. So both manip don't work.

Waiting for the 2.012 ^^

So since there is support for HTC Vive are you using Steam VR mode to support it?

I have the Razer OSVR, So im curious as to whether or not you have by default supported it. (HTC Vive Support by using Steam VR, mean OSVR headsets work by default because we have a Steam VR plugin we can use)

Otherwise is it safe to use something like  Vireio Perception To render the game in Side by Side mode for VR playing?

(SO I tested this. I can Confirm it works for OSVR,  Its just a matter of getting the game to launch Lol.  Will test again once people are able to successfully launch with a vive headset to ensure everything works, but for now I get the exact same thing all the Vive people are, where game launches trys to do a steamVR loop and crashes)

Edited by =[.][.]=BeaverTail_1

2. Basic support for Steam VR added (HTC Vive). To try it, install Steam VR to install Vive drivers, but close it before running the game, since it accesses the Vive directly. Edit the line or_enable in data\startup.cfg so it reads or_enable = 1 and run the game. If you feel that interface is too close you may also set parameter or_fov_gui = 0.5;

I have SteamVR installed, and it's not running during the Il2 start. Still does not work. DCS in VR and FSX with FlyInside works fine with no SteamVR running.

Edited by majkel

I read the instructions, thank you.

I said, also. Meaning, I tried it with SteamVR running also (uou know, basic troubleshooting), but it won't even launch in that case. 

Did YOU get it to work? Oh I'm sorry, you probably don't own a Vive.

The Price of the vive Units drop intensly at the Moment,

Source?

It's only now going from pre-order to retail. Given its success so far, I'd be surprised to see its price going down. HTC needs every penny to save them, too.

The Price of the vive Units drop intensly at the Moment, if solving the Problem will take 2 more months you might safe another 50-100 Bucks on a unit (used). I would definetly recommend buying a used one, since you can get those allready for 700€ in Germany

164657Capture2.png

You mean on the black market ? ^^

Edited by -IRRE-Wibration

The German shells likely explode on impact thus not penetrating the underlying armor with teh warhead. Are they even APHE or just HE?

I read the instructions, thank you.

I said, also. Meaning, I tried it with SteamVR running also (uou know, basic troubleshooting), but it won't even launch in that case. 

Did YOU get it to work? Oh I'm sorry, you probably don't own a Vive.

I would suggest that you don't get too pissy, mate. Just clarifying that you didn't miss any details.

Ironically, I didn't get a pissy response from another guy complaining of Vive issues - he calmly told me he had made sure to do that and explained in detail where he was running in to a problem.

[Edited] Although taking an attitude generally doesn't yield helpfulness from others.  :cool:

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Profanity.
  • Upvote 1

please tell us if you can get it running in VR-Mode

It's just launching Steam/OpenVR and seems to loop back to trying to open SteamVR again, I'm going to mess with it some more.

Edit****New update? The launcher is downloading 161MB

Edited by e345spd

New Marder showed up as targets in quick mission, IL-2 free flight

F2 and KV are already in BoS but not crewable

Cheers Dakpilot

Haven't found them yet ^^ still, making them crewable would be nice. The F2 especially... And for the BOM, the KV-1 must be quite nasty.

Regarding VR, I was thinking of going for the cheaper rift since it works really well with Assetto Corsa but, I might have to go valve if it works with IL2.

Regarding VR, I was thinking of going for the cheaper rift since it works really well with Assetto Corsa but, I might have to go valve if it works with IL2.

I have an order in for the Rift. Really hope they get it working soon.

So, like, the armour value was readjusted based on a forum post which is giving an incomplete picture based on a few figures from a couple of articles in some magazines? Not answering my original question, but still quite a revelation.

Aviation and Cosmonautics is not "some", but a renowned magazine in Russia. Infos are taken from ВИАМ tests. ВИАМ is russian research and development institute for aviation industry materials.

• Upvote 1

Thank You for the update,Great news about Vive inclusion.I Hope for Oculas Rift workaround soon aswell.VR is The Future  

Anyone cracked the Vive yet? I find it strange they have not commented about it yet. I'm already talking myself into getting one

But do we want "ice cold-no mistake" AI? I'd say the exact opposite ;)

The key point is the AI logic/algorithms only needing processing power of a Raspberry pi  :)

Cheers Dakpilot

Ok so i was able to launch the Game in VR mode succesfully (Using the beta version of SteamVR)  However it does not attach to Steam VR and instead i Just get a SBS version of the game on my main computer screen.

Thank You for the update,Great news about Vive inclusion.I Hope for Oculas Rift workaround soon aswell.VR is The Future  

It appears to use SteamVR. So Occulus should be supported by default. 

Only just read the update and it's now 1am here. I won't get to try my Vive until tomorrow evening. Hope someone figures out the issue before then.

I have 1 question here about the HTC Vive, How could you use the keyboard with it?

Apparently it has good down visibility for such reasons! 

The VR news should excite everybody. If anything motivates the devs to improve their technology, it will be the requirement to run IL2 with convincing graphics at a steady 90FPS in high resolution and 3d. I wouldn't be surprised if the we soon hear of plans to move Digital Nature to DX11 to that end.

IMHO BOS/BOM is the best product on the market at present to showcase VR. Hopefully it will bring new players to the series.

Regards

Albino

• Upvote 1

IMHO BOS/BOM is the best product on the market at present to showcase VR. Hopefully it will bring new players to the series.

Regards

Albino

If you change that to "MHO BOS/BOM COULD BE THE BEST product on the market at present to showcase VR. Hopefully it will bring new players to the series."

I agree

Thanks for the AI updates!

Haven't had time to test yet, but any and all work is appreciated!