Han

Game version 2.002 discussion: HTC VIVE, Ranks, New vehicles

So all you have is a rank instead of a level number, in effect, nothing has changed, otherwise we would not still be governed by the pilot level number in our profile.

I still don't see what is so hard about letting the user decide at what difficulty level we want to play the game on...

Still, all the other changes are welcome.

• Upvote 1

27. AI pilots of twin engine aircraft learned to taxi from parking more effectively;

Thanks! That fixed one of my taxiing demo missions.

36. Mission editor properties window appearance corrected in Windows 10;

...and in Windows 7. Thanks again!

Fighter missions I don't have much issue with, particularly when it is the faster one in a scenario (mig, f4 for example); you can disengage and dictate things more. My issue is bombing/ground attack aircraft, specifically the il2 in BoM. I will try some missions in it and feedback how I get on; recently it was 100% death for all attempts ( I don't count the yellow 'objective achieved' text as a successful mission, rather getting home instead means success).

I'm grateful for the other changes, just confused as to this one's value.

Okay, you did not mention you had those missions in mind.

I have done my share of ground attack in different planes and have been moderately successful earlier, though it has been a while since I flew Il-2 in campaign. Out of curiosity I`ll try it later. I haven`t done much bombing so far, you are probably right on that.

I don`t count yellow marker as success either. Landing is end of successful mission but sometimes you have to jump, as they did in real war. So if you are over friendly territory(exit area) and are forced to jump or belly land, that is mission completed IMO. You just have to walk back to base  ;)

So all you have is a rank instead of a level number, in effect, nothing has changed, otherwise we would not still be governed by the pilot level number in our profile.

It`s not governed by that number.

Well just great now I will have to spend £700 on a vr. Flight simming can be expensive lol

• Upvote 2

Thank you devs for all the hard work.

It is appreciated.

:good:

In Slovakia one of the big players in field of providing HW is gonna start selling HTC Vive this Thursday with expected price of 950 euros. That's 780 beers in my favourite pub!

It`s not governed by that number.

The rank has replaced the number, that's all... in effect, nothing has changed, you simply have a nice looking rank patch instead of the level number, but I am still flying at that same level.

The rank has replaced the number, that's all... in effect, nothing has changed, you simply have a nice looking rank patch instead of the level number, but I am still flying at that same level.

1. Player ranks added to campaigns. You'll have a separate rank for each side in each campaign you have. Mission difficulty depends on this rank.

At least my ranks are different in each episode. Pilot level on top of the page is the same as before.

Of course it would be best to have selection for difficulty, I´ve always supported more options.

Edited by Zami

I know mate, but the levelling system in game only works in the campaign, yes?

I am still at level 12 in my profile... in effect, the new 'rank' equates to that 'level', otherwise the leveling system would have been removed, yes?

edit... if a dev could please clarify this point for everyone, many thanks.

Edited by Trooper117

Actual Ranks in the Campaign! Awesome!

HTC Vive Support! Incredible!

Steam VR - Can someone give me a more complete explanation? Does this have anything to do with Oculus ....et al? Are we approaching a time when we can consider shelling out for goggles of one kind or another???  :cool:

Edited by Blitzen

I know mate, but the levelling system in game only works in the campaign, yes?

I am still at level 12 in my profile... in effect, the new 'rank' equates to that 'level', otherwise the leveling system would have been removed, yes?

edit... if a dev could please clarify this point for everyone, many thanks.

Ranks are separate for all campaigns, so you can begin a campaign easier even if you are a Major in another one (or in another Air Force in this campaign). Pilot level also influences this, but to lesser extent than before (your difficulty level can't be lower than second rank if your are above level 5 and third rank if you're above level 10). So if you're an experienced player (10+) and begin a new campaign, it will be like playing at Senior Lieutnant (third) rank. A new user would play at lowest difficulty since both his universal 'level' and rank in a campaign are low.

Steam VR - Can someone give me a more complete explanation? Does this have anything to do with Oculus ....et al? Are we approaching a time when we can consider shelling out for goggles of one kind or another??? :cool:

It would be the HTC Vive. Afaik Oculus needs DX11.

So, we can send in 3D models? How do we do this? :):salute:

Is there a basic requirements wiki (poly count, naming conventions ect.)

I do own a HTC Vive and unfortunetally i was unable to use it so far with it. I have completly reinstalled BOS, reinstalled the vive, followed the instructions ( changed or_enable =1 ) but every time i launch the game now, it won't start up. it just crashed directly after double clicking the .exe. I tried using the non-direkt mode on the vive and the error message displayed me a "direct3d device" error message additionally.

I will try to reinstall all directx, but it would be very nice to get active help from the community or the developers to solve this puzzle why simply following the instructions won't get the vive going.

AB-1 (АБ-1, Авиационная Броня-1) this is the type of Soviet aviation armor which was used for Il-2 for example.

so IL-2s are even tougher now?

In that case i would love if the developers could publish information about the Mineshell in game. how powerful is it compared to Russian HE shells. and what are the German cannon belts made up of. It's already a nightmare to shoot down IL-2s even though we have one of the most powerful weapons in WWII air to air combat.

AB-1 armor toughness increased by 33% relative to a standard homogenous armor

Curious - what armour types are used where? AB-1 for the Il-2, standard armour for everything else, be it a German plane or a T-34 or some steel boat on the Wolga? Is above standard grade armour steel being used anywhere else than on Soviet aircraft?

I'm sure someone will have a workaround (plugin) to get it working on da Rifty?

Yes, Oculus eased up their restrictions so i expect someone will put out a patch out soon.

Thank you.

Will it be possible for more contributions of 3D objects by community in the future - perhaps static buildings, people, livestock etc?

Many thanks for adding new features to the sim.  I sure hope we can have an Oculus Rift compatible mode as well :salute:

AB-1 is not standard armor steel. It is an alloy developed specifically for Il-2 to save weight comparing to standard armor steel without compromising ballistic protection.

Will new vehicles et all start showing up in old & new campaigns or will they available only for 3rd party mission planners & thats primarily where we will first see them appear?

( Personally I wish we'd see a few more tank missions where these might show up as well... :rolleyes: )

Well I guess it's time to order that Vive.

Great stuff team!

I want to so bad but how close are we to Vive V2? Its very expensive and want it to last at least 3 years or so before it is superseded!!

Bloody hell. I literally bought the game yesterday :D

Your increasing number of tanks is interesting... Too interesting. Any links to mod tools or something? I would love to see some PzIV F2 and KV in game.

Kudos to the team. Might have to offer il2 Bo's to a friend of mine so I can support you again...

• Upvote 1

Why the russian 23mm gun is devastating if it shell has lower explosive shell than the german shell minengeschoss?? Please dev, correct that. Is like a joke to make kills and cut wings with one hit like a mk108

Its muzzle velocity and rate of fire are very high, resulting in pretty nice accuracy and effect. It is, after all, an upscale UB.

, followed the instructions ( changed or_enable =1 )

WHAT instructions please?  Where are they? Yes I've searched.

Please provide a link.

Its muzzle velocity and rate of fire are very high, resulting in pretty nice accuracy and effect. It is, after all, an upscale UB.

MGeschoss modeling has always been nonexistent or entirely underwhelming.

I do own a HTC Vive and unfortunetally i was unable to use it so far with it. I have completly reinstalled BOS, reinstalled the vive, followed the instructions ( changed or_enable =1 ) but every time i launch the game now, it won't start up. it just crashed directly after double clicking the .exe. I tried using the non-direkt mode on the vive and the error message displayed me a "direct3d device" error message additionally.

I will try to reinstall all directx, but it would be very nice to get active help from the community or the developers to solve this puzzle why simply following the instructions won't get the vive going.

I'm getting the same issue.

WHAT instructions please?  Where are they? Yes I've searched.

Please provide a link.

startup.cfg is located in your il2 installed directory data folder

Look for the line or_enable = 0 and change it to 1.

I'm unable to launch the game though.

Curious - what armour types are used where? AB-1 for the Il-2, standard armour for everything else, be it a German plane or a T-34 or some steel boat on the Wolga? Is above standard grade armour steel being used anywhere else than on Soviet aircraft?

АБ-1 - авиационная броня (armor for aviation).

Look here.

Why the russian 23mm gun is devastating if it shell has lower explosive shell than the german shell minengeschoss?? Please dev, correct that. Is like a joke to make kills and cut wings with one hit like a mk108

VYa-23 was one of the most dangerous cannonst for every german aircraft. 

Usually, just one or two 200gramm shells was enough to bring down a single-engined fighter.

Nice touch with Pz-38(t) and Marder III H. Both AFVs were used by Slovak insurgent army against germans defending Strecno gorge in sept.1944. Pz-38(t) was also used as part of Panzerzug 62 (BP 42 type) operated by germans on teritory of Slovakia fighting partisans and insurgent army as well.

Only if I could live long enough to see map of Slovakia in sturm again  :)

Same here, I also own Vive, if I'll change the or_enable line to 1 I'm unable to launch the sim. Without VR it runs fine.