CEM in new game, as compared to Clod CEM

CEM  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the same level of Complex engine management in the new sim

• same level
    • greater level
    • less level

Never too early to let our feelings known to the devs...do we want more with the new sim as compared to Clod, examples priming the engine, pumping/shifting fuel, some of the switches working  etc. etc.

Edited by SlipBall

You forgot the "I have limited time to sim, so I don't bother with CEM because as a true pilot it would be automatic and I wouldn't think about it" option. If I wanted that, I'd fly FSX. I don't use it in Il-2, I don't use it in ROF.

Likewise I don't spend an hour before a flight in a briefing, checking my plane, talking to the maintenance guys, having a meal and going to the bathroom, living in a cold rickety barracks, blah blah blah.

I care about the tactics of flying combat, I don't really care about pretending it's a job.

• Upvote 3

How about a 'find it with a metal detector, dig it up, unpack it from the crate, unwrap the greaseproof paper, assemble it, and take off' mode for real hard core simmers.  :P

Seriously guys, isn't it a bit soon to be running polls on this sort of thing? I'm sure the developers have a pretty good idea already of what we want - it isn't as if the topic has never been discussed on the forums before.  ;)

• Upvote 1

How about a 'find it with a metal detector, dig it up, unpack it from the crate, unwrap the greaseproof paper, assemble it, and take off' mode for real hard core simmers.  :P

Seriously guys, isn't it a bit soon to be running polls on this sort of thing? I'm sure the developers have a pretty good idea already of what we want - it isn't as if the topic has never been discussed on the forums before.  ;)

If we want it we better let them know as soon as possible...we may not get it either way, but its best that they know early, don't you think?

As realistic as possible please.

Having a 'sim' and 'game' mode would be ideal.

Completely agree.

I never managed to get deep into CloD without wanting to kick a puppy so I have no idea what the CEM was like in that, however I fully enjoyed it in Il-2. How much different was it?

I voted for same. I'd like to see it similar with a few tweaks. I like how much CEM is required when flying while airborn. Watching your prop, oil rads, water rads, and mixture adds great challenge and immersion that is fun. But when on the ground starting up I like to flick a few switches to get going, but I don't want to sit on the runway for 20 minutes waiting for my engine to warm up. Then after I get shot down or crash have to do it all over again. This is about simming air combat, not a procedure sim like FSX.

I have faith they will find a good balance.

The difference between the way CLOD and FSX did it was that FSX mapped keys for these things, and CLOD wants you to fly with your right hand, and click around a moving cockpit with your left hand on the mouse. F*-ing asinine!

CEM is important, but CLOD was ridiculous.

INCOMING PM

I voted for same. I'd like to see it similar with a few tweaks. I like how much CEM is required when flying while airborn. Watching your prop, oil rads, water rads, and mixture adds great challenge and immersion that is fun. But when on the ground starting up I like to flick a few switches to get going, but I don't want to sit on the runway for 20 minutes waiting for my engine to warm up. Then after I get shot down or to do it all over again. This is about simming air combat, not a procedure sim like FSX.

I have faith they will find a good balance.

+1
The difference between the way CLOD and FSX did it was that FSX mapped keys for these things, and CLOD wants you to fly with your right hand, and click around a moving cockpit with your left hand on the mouse. F*-ing asinine!

I've been flying CLOD since April '11 online full switch and never needed to use the mouse to click anything in the cockpit. Every control is mapped to a button or axis. The same applies to RoF, DCS P51D, and A2A Wings of Power 3 Spitfire 1a/2a.

The difference between the way CLOD and FSX did it was that FSX mapped keys for these things, and CLOD wants you to fly with your right hand, and click around a moving cockpit with your left hand on the mouse.

The click able cockpit was added because of pressure from the vocal part of the community. I don't uses it , but good luck to the people who do. Will I disappointed if it disapears? No, but some people will.

I'd prefer that we stopped doing the whole entitled, teenager thing and just let the guys get on with it.

I don't think its an entitled thing .  I think  its good to air these opinions so the devs know what the market is thinking.

For me,  clickables are unnecessary. Just map it.   CloD had clickables and cockpit shadows and was a bugged nightmare.

I voted same level , but mapped.  Maybe clickable bomb site controls like RoF

Edited by W1ndy

We need definitely more CEM. We weren't even able to switch between 2 and 4 MG mode in the cockpit of the Bf 110 in CloD.

In RoF you can map the guns to shoot the one you want,example: you can shoot only the front gun, only the upper wing gun or both at the same time, thinking in a Se5. So if its allready in RoF probably will make it in some point in time to BoS.

About CEM, RoF allready have it, at WWI level, so my guess is that it will be there in BoS.

At least the same level of optional CEM as in CloD, but with RoF-like  interface... Instead of single CEM on/off switch, separete switches to turn automatic mixture/prop/warmed up engines/ radiator/whatnot, letting me to learn CEM and quirks of each plane at my own pace.

Well maybe getting the Sim out with out clickable pits at first to please everyone and making the sales than as addon making a clickable pits wit a moderate fee could please many..  teh point is that making clickable pits will hurt no one.. people who are satisfied with out will have a blast and people that are more into hard core Sim will have a small fee as fieldmod within RoF.. this will generate revenue and please a lot of Aviation lovers are we are all. 

• Upvote 2

I care about the tactics of flying combat, I don't really care about pretending it's a job.

But isn't engine management very involved in those tactics?

I see it just as important as everything else, maybe even more when it comes to immersion, so I voted for keeping the CEM, and for enhancing it, if possible.

Edited by Picchio

As realistic as possible. I will not be satisfied until EVERY last SWITCH, BUTTON, LEVER is able to move :D :D :D

I even want the option to pur my own antifreeze, clean the wings fron snow with a broom, etc. :P

Nio, just joking. But as close as they can get to the real thing. I think that a simmers dream is to fly the plane without having to actually fly the plane.

At least the CoD level including the missing switches like Spitfire start coil switch and magneto switches that don't flip on automatically when you forget them.  And of course realistic engine heating/cooling models, g effects etc etc. Clickable? If 777 can fit it in in the timescale then fine but as long as the cockpit animations work I'll settle for that and map them.

Its only a handful of start up actions guys and you get to know your aircraft.

Those that don't want it turn CEM off. Or maybe a page of extra options where you can select which bits to have on auto (trying to be open minded here).

777 need to accommodate as many player types as possible from TnB open-cockpit knife fight festers to serious combat simmers. If 'simmers' aren't catered for why are 777 bothering? There are plenty of games out there for fps-type kill-all-and-die players.

Touch screens? Great idea for the future but I'll have to give up chocolate biscuits :(

As realistic as possible. I will not be satisfied until EVERY last SWITCH, BUTTON, LEVER is able to move :D :D :D

I even want the option to pur my own antifreeze, clean the wings fron snow with a broom, etc. :P

Nio, just joking. But as close as they can get to the real thing. I think that a simmers dream is to fly the plane without having to actually fly the plane.

errr.... no that's the wonderwoman dream. Sit back, watch it happen and admire the scores.

;)

I thought CLOD was tad over the top, i mean most players won't use it but it is fun when flying a bomber to cut fuel to an engine that is damaged and feather the prop, and maybe start the fire extinquisher.

Talking as a offline, troglodyte here.

At least the CoD level including the missing switches like Spitfire start coil switch and magneto switches that don't flip on automatically when you forget them.  And of course realistic engine heating/cooling models, g effects etc etc. Clickable? If 777 can fit it in in the timescale then fine but as long as the cockpit animations work I'll settle for that and map them.

Its only a handful of start up actions guys and you get to know your aircraft.

Those that don't want it turn CEM off. Or maybe a page of extra options where you can select which bits to have on auto (trying to be open minded here).

777 need to accommodate as many player types as possible from TnB open-cockpit knife fight festers to serious combat simmers. If 'simmers' aren't catered for why are 777 bothering? There are plenty of games out there for fps-type kill-all-and-die players.

Touch screens? Great idea for the future but I'll have to give up chocolate biscuits :(

errr.... no that's the wonderwoman dream. Sit back, watch it happen and admire the scores.

;)

Hahaha, nice one ;)

You forgot the "I have limited time to sim, so I don't bother with CEM because as a true pilot it would be automatic and I wouldn't think about it" option. If I wanted that, I'd fly FSX. I don't use it in Il-2, I don't use it in ROF.

Likewise I don't spend an hour before a flight in a briefing, checking my plane, talking to the maintenance guys, having a meal and going to the bathroom, living in a cold rickety barracks, blah blah blah.

Then vote for the 'less' option

Totally wrong again.  If you fail to bind keys/controls or fail to look up the defaults then yes you would need the mouse.  That's no different to ROF or any sim, or and game, if you hadn't bothered to set up your controls before starting,  I flew ROF the other day following an update and found that I lost some bindings so just reset them.

Could we please ask you to do a little research before you post presumptions like this because when you get them wrong they are antagonistic and frankly you've already posted quite a few inaccuracies so far.  Jason has had to demand calm already.  Thank you.

Edited by Osprey