Sign in to follow this  
oppolo

a good joystick

Hello

my old MS sidewinder joystick is not working well anymore, can you point me a good joystick?

thanks

I still use MFF2 from ebay...but I also realky liked my ch fighter stick. With rubberband mod of course.

Edited by 6./ZG1_GrendelsDad

Opollo,

If you don't mind in use non ForceFeeback stick look at this new line:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/22481-t-rudder-mkiv-pedals-gladiator-and-gladiator-pro-joystick-pr/page-1

If don't live without "the Force", look at eBay for other used MSFFB2, Force Feedback joysticks are no longer manufactured today, the last - and failed venture - was Logitech G-940, and PACCUS does not seem to be available on the market, and if are is not properly "affordable".

thanks guys

- I didn't know Force Feedback joysticks are no longer manufactured, it's a little of years I am no longer in fly simulators.

- the gladiator appears very looking good

My first idea was to buy only a joystick with the possibility of replace it quickly in my G25 steering wheel cockpit, and in this case Gladiator wouln'd be suitable because of the permanent attachement to surface with screws . But now I'm thinking to make another cockpit only suitable for flight with pedals and throttle pass mixture quadrant. what do you think about these? http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/flightsim.html .

I was used to fly with FFB, the idea of not having it anymore...I feel not good

Pearmanent Attachement to Surface

I really suggest a good gimbals stick than those cheap Saitek or CH or other guys who have pentameters point pots, because they wear out with in a year. 

Warthog ball hall sensor, and VKB are selling metal gimbals hall sensor, but so far all the research I have done on gimbals and flight sticks is your better getting a gladiator pro; I have spent way to much money over the last 12 years and spent well above the amount a metal gimbals stick would cost, it will last much longer and they will have other grips you can change out very soon to your different flight sims, i.e. jets or WWII, WWI. invest only one time $249.99 instead what I have done, 8x's joysticks well over $1000.00 in 12 years.

the only other device that still hasn't failed me is the track ir pro 4 and the saitek Pro rudder pedals bought in 2007 and still going strong.

Saitek 3x USB gold Flight stick; $29.99 one of the best stick I ever had. I bought it 3x's then they stopped making them.

Saitek 2x X52 $199.00

Saitek X55 brick! $499.00 paper weight the left throttle would cause all the other buttons to activate when you moved it.

Thrust-master Warthog 1x didn't like the stiffness $549.00

Cougar couldn't get it to work with my system 1x $200.00

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

Hi,

I'm looking for a new stick as well. First i wanted to go for the Thrustmaster Warthog, but now i'm waiting for the Gladiator Pro.

Grt Martijn

Gladiator pro is without the 3rd axel for rudder, so I should need also pedals...

any tip for pedals?

any button box  also with throttle prop mixture flaps trim levers?

thanks

My first idea was to buy only a joystick with the possibility of replace it quickly in my G25 steering wheel cockpit, and in this case Gladiator wouln'd be suitable because of the permanent attachement to surface with screws

You don't need attach the Gladiator with bolts, their base is in metal with rubber pads that make the stick more heavy than others "entry-level" in the market.

This holes for bolts is a (welcome) optional for fit in cockpits, not available in "entry-level" models of other brands, or like one can use Warthog.

My advise: Don't buy any of these "entry-level" joystick of the market -  50$-  that still using potentiometers in main axis (X,Y): E.g. Saitek Cyborg, FLY, Logitech 3D PRO, Thrustmaster  X/4.

Consider buy only Thrustmaster T.16000M, this model come with HALL sensor (same of Warthog) in X,Y axis, and for same reason - don't use potentiometers - Gladiator is (more) advisable, and use contactless sensor for twist rudder, is the only model that use, even Saitek X-xx HOTAS still using pot' in twist rudder.

Gladiator pro is without the 3rd axel for rudder, so I should need also pedals...

any tip for pedals?

For rudder pedals your options on market are  - not considering some helicopters dedicated rudder pedals without return to center spring and some airlines based models for FSX - that besides cost almost a thousand dollars, dont offer any advantage for use in CFS/G.

"Entry-level"

Saitek - At moment is not available in major online retailers (seems brand are going south and stop production), so "smart" people are speculating with prices. Plastic construction, adjustable, potentiometer, USB controller 10 bits.

Thrustmaster  - Has a new "entry-level" model, the TFRP for 90$. Plastic construction, electronics/potentiometers on par with Saitek, USB controller 10 bits.

CH Products-  The classic (and vintage) CH PRO Pedal at ~120$. Plastic construction, better potentiometer quality than previous models, but electronics obsolete for today standard: USB controller 8 bits - only 256 points of resolution.

'High-end" 

VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV - 250$ in USA - all metal, adjustable, ball bearings, contactless sensor, electronics 12 bits. 

- Unique design and operation, looks more helicopter pedals and works on vertical instead on horizontal, no "toe brakes", but their software allow use a button in joystick to brake both wheels and with rudder movement brake right or left wheel only (similar to Spitfire, Hurricane, LaGG-3, IL-2, Yak-1, Mig-15, Mig-21... brakes system - informally called "differential brakes"). Note: In BoS is not need use T.Link as this brake system is available for all planes direct in game controls.

MFG Crosswind - 380$  ~285$ (256€)- Queue to buy, frame in composite material, adjustable, ball bearings, contactless sensors, electronics 12 bits - "toe brakes".

- 550$ - Queue to buy - only small batches are produced - all metal, adjustable, ball bearings, contactless sensors, electronics 12 bits -  "toe brakes".

Edited by Sokol1

Well, I for one have nothing but good things to say about my CH gear (see signature below).  Purchased back in 2007, they have stood the test time and are still going strong.  As good as the day I took them out of the box.

• Upvote 1

Hey Dumbo...I did the rubberband Mod for my fighterstick and I loved it.  Gave it new life for me.  As loose as they are it felt like force feedback after the Mod.

Edited by 6./ZG1_GrendelsDad

wow!!! Im blown away.... what about an acceptable entry level stick?? I'm loving War thunder... and IL2 is definitely a more labor intensive sim.... not ready to invest in a high end stick and pedals as discussed... so I'm asking what is that bare minimum I need to start my flight sim career??

I still use MFF2 from ebay...but I also realky liked my ch fighter stick. With rubberband mod of course.

Rubber band Mode? Would like to try, whats involved

Hey Doughboy...you take regular rubber bands and wrap them around the "Gimbal Claw" sorry not sure what to call it.  This tightens the gimbal and makes the stick as tight as you make the rubber bands.  I will upload some pics today and show you what I have.  Just be careful because the claw is plastic so it can break with too much force.  Used mine for a year or so with no issues.  Sometimes the rubber bands break so you may have to use a "standard" size so you can match the force again if this happens.

The funny thing is, they got force feedback yokes, from 1700$ and upwards, but they do exist. 

• Upvote 1

Well that didn't take long!  Too few preorders by Amazon or stunning response?

•  
Roll over image to zoom in

Gladiator Joystick, Flight Simulator Controller Stick - PC Mac Linux
Platform : Windows Vista, Windows XP, Mac

Price: $99.99 FREE Prime Shipping once available

Temporarily out of stock. 

I hope for the latter... so we can hear more about their Gunfighter serie! :)

Hey Doughboy...you take regular rubber bands and wrap them around the "Gimbal Claw" sorry not sure what to call it.  This tightens the gimbal and makes the stick as tight as you make the rubber bands.  I will upload some pics today and show you what I have.  Just be careful because the claw is plastic so it can break with too much force.  Used mine for a year or so with no issues.  Sometimes the rubber bands break so you may have to use a "standard" size so you can match the force again if this happens.

Pics would be great, thanks

Hope this helps...I left the springs on as others have removed them...I need smaller bands too as mine are rubbing a bit.post-21047-0-55499500-1467749969_thumb.jpgpost-21047-0-08988500-1467749898_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just know that it will make the stick move about the desk...Velcro is your friend.

Well, I for one have nothing but good things to say about my CH gear (see signature below).  Purchased back in 2007, they have stood the test time and are still going strong.  As good as the day I took them out of the box.

Ditto, they might look cheap and plasicy but they will take years of hard use. I have had mine since Jan 2004.