=LG=Wicher

Contact visibility - need help

Hi guys!

Since I started playing IL-2 BoS I had problems with spoting enemy planes. I searched google, forums etc. to find some info about how to improve contact visibility. So what I tried was lowering the gamma, to the point I couldn't see anything in cocpit, It helped very little but It was unplayable with so dark cocpit, then I tried the sweetFX, spend hours searching for presets and trying create my own but here again no sucess :(

So my question is do you now any tips how to improve the contact visibility? Maybe I should change something in my graphic card settings or in monitor? Or maybe I'm just blind?

My specs:

22" Benq BL2211 16:10 - 1680x1050px

nvidia geforce gtx 760

intel xeon e3-1230 3,3 ghz

16gb ram

don't remeber the model of mainboard

I play on ultra settings with HDR, SSAO and 4x landscape detail.

Head to the middle of the map at about 1500m, turn on your nav lights and start flying slow circles. After two minutes, you will see multiple contacts around you. You may then turn off your nav lights.

Jokes aside, it seems different people with different setups have different experiences spotting. I'm very good at finding aircraft above or level, but terrible when the enemy is against the ground. Conversely sometimes the people I fly with miss pretty clear contacts against the sky but find others against the ground which I can barely see. It's teamwork that complements both hemispheres.

If you can get a monitor that's 1920x1080 and larger, 24"-27" that will help a lot. Resolution lower than 1080p is going to be a problem

Also make use of the zoom view if you aren't already.

i fixed this problem by playing a quick mission at 3000 altitude then pause the game with contacts below me and messed with all  monitor setting until you find the sweet spot.  also i got my eyes tested and learned my eyes are shit and bought some specs. :cool: 

I play at gamma 1 after a lot of testing. The most important thing first is that you properly calibrate your screen for brightness and contrast both are normally too high with standard monitor settings. I disabled SSAO, HDR and Bloom, settings on ultra or balanced, 4x distance setting.

Get NvidiaInspector and edit Il-2 bos profile: Graphic settings to quality. Negative lod bias to clamp, if possible 4xsparse grid supersampling and transparency supersamplying enabled (Maxwell interleaving enabled aswell, not sure what it does though.) With those settings I can spot pretty decently.

Give it a try! :)

Jordan

PS: Note however that spotting isn't easy by itself, you will find situations where it is more easy to spot (like when cruising not climbing, good mix of offensive, defensive spotting.) Use a little bit of zoom when searching.

Edited by 71st_AH_Jordan

I play at gamma 1 after a lot of testing. The most important thing first is that you properly calibrate your screen for brightness and contrast both are normally too high with standard monitor settings. I disabled SSAO, HDR and Bloom, settings on ultra or balanced, 4x distance setting.

I pretty much did this: disabled SSAO, HDR, BLOOM. AA, but kept res high and kept the 4X distance. I think this is the cure to seeing contacts at a distance. Before I couldn`t see anything, now I do.

The eye candy gloss is nice, but it`s no good to me if spotting distant targets is almost impossible. First part of winning a battle is seeing the target arrive!

I don't see how turning down those settings above would enhance visibility.

HDR = more contrast. That's always better.

Bloom is not a separate setting in BoS. In RoF it is and it enables more reflections from other aircraft. And Antialiasing is a must since otherwise whole parts of an object can vanish below pixel size. Depending on what resolution you're running. At 1080p turning off AA makes the ability to discern aircraft shapes much harder. At 2160p I still use 2xAA

I don't see how turning down those settings above would enhance visibility.

HDR = more contrast. That's always better.

Bloom is not a separate setting in BoS. In RoF it is and it enables more reflections from other aircraft. And Antialiasing is a must since otherwise whole parts of an object can vanish below pixel size. Depending on what resolution you're running. At 1080p turning off AA makes the ability to discern aircraft shapes much harder. At 2160p I still use 2xAA

All I know is when I got rid of that, suddenly i was spotting aircraft at the furthest distance. Especially when online where it`s REALLY important.

This was after weeks of struggling with other alternatives to no avail.

p.s. yea Bloom isn`t in BOS, that`s ROF. I didn`t have time to check that.

Edited by seafireliv

Cliffs of Dover didn't have functional antialiasing and it made the game basically unplayable due to how badly the other aircraft were rendered.

There is a bloom setting in the startup.cfg.

Thanks, I was reffering to that exact startup.cfg setting.

Its the game , not your settings . Try Nvidia Inspector as said above . We are all suffering from poor visibility so we tried inspector  ` it did help but there is room for improvement i find the summer maps very difficult in spotting air and ground  .  

Its the game , not your settings . Try Nvidia Inspector as said above . We are all suffering from poor visibility so we tried inspector  ` it did help but there is room for improvement i find the summer maps very difficult in spotting air and ground  .  

really I can see the ground fine but as for the air, I can't see it either..unless the smoke is being blown by it.  :lol:

Edited by 71st_Mastiff
  • Upvote 1

I see planes very good from 10 km range +-500m above or below me. The bigger problem is to see enemys that fly really below me more than 1000m height difference but that is normal and realistic. I found my own way how I improved my contact visibility to perfect........

I see planes very good from 10 km range +-500m above or below me. The bigger problem is to see enemys that fly really below me more than 1000m height difference but that is normal and realistic. I found my own way how I improved my contact visibility to perfect........

of course . 

Best thing I ever did was buy TrackIR & a 50" HD T.V.

Getting off my over expensive 30" Monitor and on a TV increased my ability 10 fold.... The issue I was having was the dots were just too small to recognize while I was combat scanning my horizon. On my monitor the dots were the size of a standard number two pencil led. On my tv the dots are the size of the eraser of the same pencil. I went from never seeing anything until it was too late.... Too having a Hawks eye sight.

Note: the tv must be of some quality for resolution and refresh ect... 1080 is a minimum standard.

Best thing I ever did was buy TrackIR & a 50" HD T.V.

Getting off my over expensive 30" Monitor and on a TV increased my ability 10 fold.... The issue I was having was the dots were just too small to recognize while I was combat scanning my horizon. On my monitor the dots were the size of a standard number two pencil led. On my tv the dots are the size of the eraser of the same pencil. I went from never seeing anything until it was too late.... Too having a Hawks eye sight.

Note: the tv must be of some quality for resolution and refresh ect... 1080 is a minimum standard.

Interesting. Especially considering such tvs are actually cheaper than monitors of a smaller size. Something to muse on.

For about 500 bucks I got this guy and play in 3D

<S>

post-29309-0-02575800-1464879069_thumb.jpeg

post-29309-0-86067300-1464879077_thumb.jpeg

post-29309-0-71825500-1464879090_thumb.jpeg

Edited by II/.JG5HugoDahmer

really I can see the ground fine but as for the air, I can't see it either..unless the smoke is being blown by it.  :lol:

Maybe we need to ask Mr.X what his setting are. He seems to have no problem spotting targets.

Edited by 71st_AH_Gamecock

Interesting. Especially considering such tvs are actually cheaper than monitors of a smaller size. Something to muse on.

I would think this would be an effect of the pure size of the screen. You should not necessarily see more or less by the amount of pixels as the result on you screen is computed for your FOV anyway, no matter what resolution. A higher resolution is just more precise while a smaller resolution appears more washed out. (which some seem to consider as giving a small advantage)

I'm pleased with my graphic settings right now, it seemed that 2x sparse grid actually makes spotting easier for me instead of 4x, but that might just be because I get less stuttering with that.

Stop trying. IL-2 BoS is totally broken on that point.
I don't understand what DEV Team is thinking, but this is a shame. Even IL-2 Cliffs of Dover dont have that broken view distance.

BoM is not on my buying list because that.

Image 2

bos fail 01.bmp

post-53923-0-60409100-1465143162_thumb.png

post-53923-0-68609200-1465143262_thumb.png

post-53923-0-50787100-1465143334_thumb.png

• Upvote 6

Stop trying. IL-2 BoS is totally broken on that point.
I don't understand what DEV Team is thinking, but this is a shame. Even IL-2 Cliffs of Dover dont have that broken view distance.

BoM is not on my buying list because that.

I have seen this many times. See a enemy turn to him to follow him and gone thanks to the view distance. Now where to fly again? To enter the view distance where he gets rendered again? Good Question? :hunter:

• Upvote 2

There`s no doubt that the Devs have something wrong on the vision in this game. One should not need to cut down all the eye candy to see things slightly better.

Even then, while I`m watching contacts they will literally just `pop` in and out of view. There`s no gentle vanishing point or appearance of contacts. It should be smoother.

Right now I`d be happy with just an extended range of contacts vision...

Whenever I play a flight sim I`m sometimes thinking, `Lose sight, lose the fight!` In this game I am thinking it every second! It`s impossible not to lose sight!

But it seems they`re not going to increase the view range at all. Bad for those of us who likes to fly with no icons.

Edited by seafireliv
  • Upvote 2

The community just accept that? Sorry, i can't be happy with this decision. I really upset with BoS right now.
I bought the game a year ago, only now i run over it and it is disappointing

War Thunder should have better view distance than this.
I am really sad. Many years waiting a beautiful and realistic simulator to ruin my expectations
  • Upvote 2

The community just accept that? Sorry, i can't be happy with this decision. I really upset with BoS right now.
I bought the game a year ago, only now i run over it and it is disappointing

Well hopefully, threads like this might get the Devs to reconsider. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that!

• Upvote 1

It's been said that they want to improve that in the long term, once they figure out how to do kt without a performance decrease.

Have patience, folks.

• Upvote 1

Don't expect nothing from 777. The only hope i have about WW II Sim is that Oleg and the team of IL2 Sturmovik 1946 come back to business... On day ! Or the creation of a company around Team Fusion.

• Upvote 1

Right now i'm testing Cliffs. It's really good simulador with Team Fusion mod.

I will stop playing BoS and go to CoD

I hope IL-2 BoS bring back many features from past games. They are not perfect but have lots of good stuffs!

Please 777 and all developers, consider the players opnion!

Indeed.....

If i lose sight , i lose fight .... Simple .....

Please Devs , take a look at that subject , the Battle of Stalingrad is a great simulator even when compare with the old 1946 !!!!

Don't expect nothing from 777. The only hope i have about WW II Sim is that Oleg and the team of IL2 Sturmovik 1946 come back to business..

LOL. Try playing CloD without the TF mods. That is why Oleg will not be returning to the business.

• Upvote 1

See above - it's planned, once they find a way to do it which they fine acceptable.

That should be priority. Not a tank module.

Or less put a option to increase view to 20km

I've never seen distant aircraft disappear and reappear like that in BoS. In 1080p or UHD

In fact I always thought visibility in this game and RoF was superb.

Some of you must have messed up settings of some sort. Set everything back to default...

Wait till you see all the 64-bit benefits? 

• Upvote 1

I've never seen distant aircraft disappear and reappear like that in BoS. In 1080p or UHD

Some of you must have messed up settings of some sort. Set everything back to default...

I use all settings on Ultra. I restored the game multiple times and that happens in all scenarios.

I tried do lower down configs, use DSR, use 800x600. 

Do a try. Open quick mission put 4 He and fly away.

IL-2 Bos only render objects inside aircraft radius. See your map, the red circle is the view range

What are your monitor specs?

Yes BoS only renders aircraft out to 10km, so does RoF. But in all my time playing those games I've never seen one pop in and out of view. I'm sure it's possible if you're deliberately looking for it.

What are your monitor specs?

Yes BoS only renders aircraft out to 10km, so does RoF. But in all my time playing those games I've never seen one pop in and out of view. I'm sure it's possible if you're deliberately looking for it.

Yeah i deliberately looking for it. 10km is too close to eyesight on air

Just a photoshoped image.

Just to group threads about same issue:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18566-10km-aircraft-render-range-and-why-it-unacceptable/

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18593-contact-visibility/page-2

The question here is about reality (we fly a simulator right?). Pop out planes is definitely not real!!

Some stuffs to help discussion:

Angular Resolution NAKED EYE: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~thuard/astr288c/lecture6-notes.pdf

Angular Resolution Calculator: http://www.1728.org/angsize.htm

The naked eye cannot distinguish two points that appear less than 0.0128° apart (bright day, with no haze nor warm air distortion)

Try flying online behind a friendly. Let him get ahead of you. He will simply vanish at the furthest point. Just vanish. It doesn`t get tiny and fade out.

• Upvote 1

LOL. Try playing CloD without the TF mods. That is why Oleg will not be returning to the business.

Oleg left for many reasons , His game was not ready but Ubi pushed it out the door they were not happy as it was taking too long , like all big companies money comes first . i just hope things get fixed . 

Oleg left for many reasons 

Just play CloD without mods and you'll see why he "left" and won't be back.

Oleg's last attempt at developing a WW2 flight sim was a dumpster fire.