Wheezel

Cheaters who log out when they lose the advantage

There are no AF for you to land on Berloga, you spawn directly into the air.

With that said, there are airfields on the map, but they dont count as "active airfield" from a mission standpoint, but nothing stops you from landing there.  :salute:

Edited by JAGER_Staiger

the disconnect on purpose phenomenon is definitely an issue...

but what i find even more annoying, is that the game actually even supports such bad habits with giving the players the option to "finish flight" while being mid-air online. this option should not be existent at all imo.

either bail out, or land, or get shot down, these should be the only options to finish a flight.

furthermore, the game additionally supports this embarrassing habit, with only counting pilot-kills as actual losses in the online-stats.

on berloga, there are many pilots, especially the experienced ones, which is even more ridiculous, who constantly hit the "finish flight" button as soon as they are in a bad position. they dont get a loss for it or anything. i really like il2, but tbh, i think the community is the worst i've seen in any flight sim so far, and unfortunatly, the game encourages bad behaviour.

While I agree that disconnecting in combat is bull, I disagree that calling this the worst flight sim community is constructive. Typical dudes you flew with in DoW and the squad you created likely flew all the previous flights sims and had years to assimilate into our "culture." Thats not always the case here.

So if the game freezes or crashes and you have to force quit the application, you would be punished thusly?

I totally agree. Since I joined IL2, I have been having a constant issue with the game freezing or crashes with about 5 error messages. Not everyone is bailing out because they are cowards. Some have no choice in the matter. I have had my game freeze or crash just as I am about to attack some one. should I be punished then because IL2 or some server are experiencing technical issues beyond my control?

I totally agree. Since I joined IL2, I have been having a constant issue with the game freezing or crashes with about 5 error messages. Not everyone is bailing out because they are cowards. Some have no choice in the matter. I have had my game freeze or crash just as I am about to attack some one. should I be punished then because IL2 or some server are experiencing technical issues beyond my control?

I also used to suffer random crashes to the desktop until I started exiting the game between each mission. Since doing that I have had no random crashed of the game.

• Upvote 1

the disconnect on purpose phenomenon is definitely an issue...

but what i find even more annoying, is that the game actually even supports such bad habits with giving the players the option to "finish flight" while being mid-air online. this option should not be existent at all imo.

either bail out, or land, or get shot down, these should be the only options to finish a flight.

furthermore, the game additionally supports this embarrassing habit, with only counting pilot-kills as actual losses in the online-stats.

on berloga, there are many pilots, especially the experienced ones, which is even more ridiculous, who constantly hit the "finish flight" button as soon as they are in a bad position. they dont get a loss for it or anything. i really like il2, but tbh, i think the community is the worst i've seen in any flight sim so far, and unfortunatly, the game encourages bad behaviour.

I guess they wanted the war thunder crowd but saying that you are right there is no punishment on dog fighter server .

Posted (edited)

Well my take is that this is a game. 1,000,000 kills will not change the fact that I have to go to work tomorrow. I say if you disco when you are about to loose your virtual life - that's just like a win to me.  For those of you guys that have YouTube channels and convert your virtual kills into viewership that leads to hard currency - more power to you. Everyone else - it's just makes for good conversation.

EDIT:

What does penalizing me for a hardware/software induced disco solve? It's not like code can distinguish the difference b/w intentional vs non-intentional disco anyway. I think it's pretentious to suggest such a drastic measure of wiping my joystick/keyboard mappings for something so trivial as a disco. 

However - I am making a copy as we speak - just in case :P

Edited by JG7_X_Man

I get the odd Crash To Desktop from time to time. I've also been guilty of fumbling my immediate action drill when flying a stuka that suddenly comes under attack, I like to drop bomb /bombs, split S and run for home. Unfortunately the bomb release button, is relatively close to my bail out button on my hotas. In a panic I sometimes hit the wrong one lol.

Would have been nice for devs to implement AI-take over of the disconnected player. It already happens if you fly out of the map boundary, so part of the code is already there.

If someone disconnects, allow him a grace time of 2-3 minutes to get back into the game, meanwhile the autopilot aims to get the aircraft straight and level at nominal power and not crashing into the ground.

If the pilot was in combat the enemy can easily shoot him down and get his kill, as the aircraft does not vanish anymore.

If the pilot disconnected due to a crash / bad internet / millions of other non malicious reasons, he is now able to jump back into the game and continue flying his aircraft, potentially saving the half an hour it took him to get to altitude and set up on his bomb route.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 11/03/2018 at 11:03 PM, JG7_X_Man said:

1,000,000 kills will not change the fact that I have to go to work tomorrow.

Then you're killing the wrong people!

Edited by Valis
  • Haha 1

As stated previously, there are no hard feelings for one off CTD's. There are a select few, however, who disco, bail, drive straight to enemy AAA to deny a victory, etc on a regular basis. It's the gamer BS crowd people get annoyed with. It's often the same guys who immediately talk "noob" crap when they bounce you a half mile from your own airfield but they pull this crap when you get the advantage. I don't gloat over victories and I take my beatings like a man.

On 4/5/2017 at 4:08 PM, JaffaCake said:

It would be awesome to have the game auto-level your aircraft at nominal engine power if the client disconnected / crashed for the next 1-2minutes. If the player reconnects in the specified time he gets to fly again.

IMHO it would be better to switch the "abandoned plane" to a full bot control. Whatever would happen, wouldn't be logged for the disco-pilot. However, if you shot-down the replacement bot you would get the score.

This way accidental disconnects wouldn't be punished and pilots wouldn't lose their prey. And it would look 100% better without disappearing planes.

But then you could still disconnect when you are close to death to artificially inflate your kill streak 

On 11/12/2017 at 6:17 PM, S.A.C.G._RCAF_LYNX said:

While I've not had many crashes, I've suddenly lost connection to a server, and I've experienced many situations where the updating of plane locations becomes laggy, in a multi-second sort of way (planes jump), on highly loaded servers, where many planes are close together. I believe this is a problem with the servers, not coping with the load?

I'm surprised such issues exist today. When I stopped flying on Warbirds about 15 years ago, such issues had been nearly (not entirely) solved. There must be some unnecessary bottlenecks in the multiplayer code. Or maybe the server is wayyyyy too slow for the number of players it hosts?

I would agree that disconnecters shouldn't be harshly punished until such problems in the code are sorted out, but once they are sorted out, I would suggest this:

The plane of a player who disconnects could be set to fly on in the multiplayer space (I realize this is tricky to do, since the sim runs on the client), maybe in a way that autopilot takes over, for a number of seconds. That would give the persuer a good chance of shooting the disconnector down.

The topic isn’t really about technical issues. We all understands this happens in our digital gaming medium. We also know who the repeat offenders are who disconnect at the first sign their sooper dooper online stats are in jeopardy. The delineation between these two is clear in most cases.

On 3/13/2018 at 2:24 PM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I don't gloat over victories and I take my beatings like a man.

Especially those beatings administered by Victoria's Secret Police...:biggrin:

48 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Especially those beatings administered by Victoria's Secret Police...:biggrin:

Or Mr. Fredericks High Heeled Gestapo!

It would not be hard for a server to keep count of how many times a player has 'Accidently Disconnected' and draw a line somewhere to say 'OK buddy.  You have disconnected 3 times. Don't you think you should either stop and check your internet or just *stop Cheating!*?  I will give you a ten minute wait to think it over. '    In all honesty,  how many people would keep playing Berloga if they were being constantly disconnected against their will?  If someone constantly vanishes when under attack then they are cheating.   At the very least Berloga could easily add a column for 'Disconnects'.  The only reason people do it so often in Berloga is so their stats look impressive. Nobody will be impressed if they seem to have got 10 kills without dying but disconnected 15 times.

On other servers it is not so easy.  People may only only do it a couple of times per session but they do it at important moments.  The Finnish server adds a 10% penalty to your score every time you disconnect and it takes a couple of hours trouble-free flying to rebuild it.  I got caught by that myself when my internet was playing up one evening and I restarted three times before  admitting it was pointless and giving up.  In my case it always happened about 10 minutes into a bomber sortie and I was undamaged so they agreed to alter the logic so undamaged players don't get penalised.   Not a perfect solution because I have seen bomber pilots disconnect as soon as they see an enemy fighter as they only want to do unopposed sorties to keep their streak going!  

Personally,  I would support a 5 or 10 minute suspension after a disconnect.   If you really did have a valid disconnection then you might be spending 10 minutes checking what went wrong or re-booting your PC anyway. If you only did it to avoid dying then you might decide it is not worth the frustration of having to sit still for ten minutes and  either log off or stop doing it quite so often next time.   The sort of people that deliberately disconnect are the sort of people that fly hyped up and desperate to get back in the air fast so it would hit them hard.

Other flights sims (Il2-46?) let the AI take-over and won't let you despawn for 20 seconds after a disco so if you are under attack you will still die. If BoX cannot automatically put AI in charge can it at least apply Auto-Level?

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 6:42 PM, =SqSq=switch201 said:

But then you could still disconnect when you are close to death to artificially inflate your kill streak 

The alternative is to punish all disconnects including accidental ones - even less ideal.

The major reason we are angry at disconnectors is they ruin our sorties. We care less about their scores. (at least I'm indifferent)

Posted (edited)

We could also learn a thing or 2 with how MOBA's deal with this issue.

If you disconnect the AI should take over, but all it does, it's fly back to base. If you reconnect, you regain control of your plane.  No matter who gets shot down, the player or the replacement AI, the player is counted as shot down.

If you disconnected to save your stats, all that you achieve is present yourself as a nice, nonreactive target for your opponent to shoot down. If you suffered from a disconnect due to  technical problem, the AI will keep you in the air until you fix the issue.  If people start abusing this mechanic to just let the AI fly their plane home, once they are done with their bombing run, or when they run out of ammo,  the server should be able to set a timeout of X minutes, after which a disconnected player's plane gets de-spawned and marked as "disconnected". If a server does not like this implementation,  X can be set to 0, and as soon as a player disconnects, the plane is de-spawned.

This approach gives a fair treatment to pretty much every scenario, except the one where a technical issue forces a disconnect right in the middle of a dogfight. But in that case, someone will have to take hit, and the only way to avoid abuse, is that the person who disconnected gets penalized (by, most-likely, dying). 

Edited by Pupo
  • Upvote 1

I'd love for the AI to takeover my plane and give me the chance to get back into the game after I disconnected.

I have poor upload bandwidth and get disconnected after I score *too many* hits on an enemy plane or the ground. Its frustrating as hell, as it means I leave my squadmates without a wingman, and Im back at square one making up for lost time. So when you look at my stats, you see that Ive shot someone down, then disconnected.

In 2-3 months my internet finally gets an upgrade and this should be a thing of the past.

What really pisses me off though is because of a few abusing the system, I get punished for my legitimate connectivity problems. I don't get disconnected when someone hits me, I get shotdown fine (download bandwidth lets me feel all of the munitions).

Here is a fine example -

Now this is stats abuse at its finest - all one player, all this month. I left out the ones that didn't actually have the player "shotdown", but there were more where he was clearly on fire looking at the damage.

http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2837353/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2840890/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2845611/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2845677/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2852250/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2866571/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2866698/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2872465/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2878762/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2892129/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2896620/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2905475/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2905768/?tour=33
http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/sortie/log/2906211/?tour=33

I would not have a problem with AutoLevel being applied for 5 minutes after I get disconnected. If it was just a passing glitch then 5 minutes is enough time to get back into the server and rejoin my plane.  If it was a bigger problem that involves rebooting my PC  then I would accept that I cannot expect my aircraft to still be waiting for me and let be honest, after ten minutes on autolevel I would probably have been shot down or got totally lost anyway :-)      If I was so near the combat zone that I was shot down within 5 minutes then that is life. I may have been shot down even without the disconnect :-/   If I was heading home with kills then I gives me a chance to land them.  Often I am flying with my squad so autolevel at least gives me some chance of staying with them or them keeping me alive until I can reconnect.    It goes without saying that if I disconnect, intentionally or by accident, near enemies then I deserve  to die or should at least accept my poor luck.