I used an H100i for that project.

I have that water cooler on my my rigs they're amazing and very quiet :)

I'll wait for actual tests/comparisons first.....AMD have not got a great recent track record of meeting expectations as far as I am concerned...

However, similar to GTX1070 performance for $199? bring it on  :biggrin:

Cheers Dakpilot

Similar performance to the GTX1070 is not what I gathered from their "press release."

There are a lot of cell-shaded, low-end VR apps/demos that can probably run on $200 hardware but whether or not that same hardware will run something like DCS or Arma is yet to be seen... At that price point (and AMD's track record as you've pointed out...) I highly doubt that's the market segment "cheap VR cards" are meant to cater to.

• Upvote 1

I'll wait for actual tests after release. Having very bad experiences with 5850 and its software I prefer to wait for updated drivers. AMD is not nearly as good Nvidia with those. 

• Upvote 1

Similar performance to the GTX1070 is not what I gathered from their "press release."

There are a lot of cell-shaded, low-end VR apps/demos that can probably run on $200 hardware but whether or not that same hardware will run something like DCS or Arma is yet to be seen... At that price point (and AMD's track record as you've pointed out...) I highly doubt that's the market segment "cheap VR cards" are meant to cater to.

My 'GTX1070 performance' comment was really a bit tongue in cheek  ;)

However AMD really need to get their act together  :) decent competition is needed for customer value for money, I do understand the tech (a little), but still baulk at needing two VERY expensive GPU's to fully utilise a 4k screen/TV,  from all reports it seems AMD have given up in the performance war and are going for more mainstream value in their range for the future

I guess GTX1080Ti will do the job but at what cost? certainly will be more than the screen  :huh:

Cheers Dakpilot

So looking into a H100i...that thing is huge! Where do you mount that giant 2 fan radiator? I have a Antec 902 case.

So looking into a H100i...that thing is huge! Where do you mount that giant 2 fan radiator? I have a Antec 902 case.

Doesn't look like this case was built with AiO liquid cooler support but it is possible if you're daring and don't mind a tight squeeze.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=222740

All of the cases I've ever used (A few Corsair 650D's, a few Fractal Design R4's) had some sort of built in AiO cooler support.

No reason to sell my fury x just yet, wake me up when vega arrives,lol

ok, been testing mine EVGA GTX FE 1080 and I have no issues as stated above..

BOS solid 60 FPS but the GUI is still getting 33 FPS.

2x 1070's should kill a 1080 at IL2 and Rise of Flight..  I am undecided.. 

Edited by GOZR

Generally speaking SLI is not recommended, even Nvidia doesnt advertise it as much as they did before.

Also, other thing is pricing. Nvidia became almost a monopolist on market and despite claims of cheaper versions of their standard 1080 and 1070 models they are actually even more expensive, up to 50-60 $ on average. It's pretty much the most expensive 70 and 80 series in Nvidia history. And that is not good for any customer. Unfortunately AMD doesnt seem to be capable of meeting that performance.

-snip-

Unfortunately AMD doesnt seem to be capable of meeting that performance.

And that makes NVidia, choosing to sell its high-performing hardware at a premium, the bad guy?

Given performance increase does not justify increase of the price, especially that it is higher than claimed during official presentation. But you might not understand, it doesnt make them bad, it makes it bad for customers. Lack of competition in high end segment or in any segment in fact is a bad thing for customers. 

• Upvote 1

The performance at the 'announced' price point seemed like a great deal, and a value for money leap forward for Customers...

Shame it did not turn out that way... ;)

Cheers Dakpilot

I agree with Dak, I will await a purchase of a vr device before I invest in a new GPU. It think nvidia open up a marked for more affordable GPU´s witch might be filled later

It is rare that I buy a flagship card, usually go with a step below, like the 970, 770, etc.

I am going to splurge this time and get the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, whenever one becomes available that is.

ok, been testing mine EVGA GTX FE 1080 and I have no issues as stated above..

BOS solid 60 FPS but the GUI is still getting 33 FPS.

Sorry Mastiff, you didn't happen to mention your resolution in this post.  I'll have a look earlier in the thread.

Before I start I wanted to sort out this two important points.

1. Did someone expected that you pay now for 25% more performance = 50% higher price?

2. Did someone expected that even the Custom Cards are use the Founder Edition Layout that result into the same price as the Original Nvidia Founder Edition Card or even a little more! If they use own Layout even higher than the Founder Edition Card price.

Nividia PR better than ever same as Steven Jobs did before. 

The price level from both cards should be

1. 1070 GTX $300 - $400 (replace the 970 GTX)

2. 1080 GTX $500 - $600 (replace the 980 GTX)

and not

1. 1070 GTX $500 - $600 (replace the 980 GTX)

2. 1080 GTX $700 - $800 (replace the 980 GTX TI)

Both cards are really overpriced!

Yeah. The only good thing this has brought about so far is that now in Sweden the GTX 970 costs the same as the 960 so I might go down that route instead :biggrin:

Med too, but I am still not sure if I am going for a oculus Rift anytime soon. I am investing a lot of money for DCS Choppers atm. So I am very in-between a lot of priorities. a 970 is a tad small for that purpose.

I kind of looking for a used Titan or 980 

I do. I tried Oculus some time ago and despite newest version it was still a very unpleasant experience to me. I will stay with my old track ir since it doesnt make me uncomfortable.

There are no reason to believe it make you sick sitting down in a sim. I talked to many who fly with OR and Vive in DCS, they simply do not fly without it. Like we feel about the TrackIr. And that make me think I will not rush into it. I am perfectly fine with TrackIr.

The thing with flight simulator hardware is, you can never go back. And that scare me

Oh, I've tried it in War Thunder for more than few hours. Wt while a game far from anything remotely close to simulation is a piece of nice software and developers cooperate a lot with Nvidia, so I had a chance to try it on Gamescom when I was hanging out for a few days on Gaijin booth. 

I didnt like the experience and the feeling it was giving me. But if it works for others then sure they should give it a go. 

The US prices for those cards, straight from EVGA are

$660 for a GTX980 Ti

$610 for the GTX1080

So for about a 30% performance gain that doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Watch this, goes across most of 1080s already released. There are few exceptions but majority of models comes at very high price. 

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi

It's definitely not a bad deal, but it's disappointing because of the expectations creates before.

This line was announced as something that would change the market around in both price and performance - they would be cheaper than previous high-end cards, and better. VR PCs would become more accessible, the competition wouldn't be able to put up with such a good card by such a good price, and every gamer would get a flashy GTX 1060/70/80 into their machines the second they needed to upgrade.

Instead it became just another new video card of a new generation with the same price as the then-new graphics cards it replaces. From "wow!" to "ah, ok - cool" if that makes sense :)

In Jan 2014 a GTX 780 Ti SC cost me $729.00

In Nov 2014 a GTX 980 SC cost me $570.00

Now a GTX 1080 costs $610 and offers 2x the performance of the 780 and 50% better than the 980

So I'd say the cost/performance curve is headed in the right direction.

• Upvote 2

Right, but point was raised based on reference models of same type. I could bring my old 6800 Ultra, even though it was peak of the things and still went for 499$. Or something even more crazy, 8800 Ultra. 1080 offers x times better performance over my old 8800 Ultra, so I guess it should be x times more expensive. Right ?

Point is that Nvidia presented GTX 1080 MSRP for 599 $ and 699 $ FE (Founders Edition) as well as GTX 1070 380 $ for MSRP and 450 $ FE. 

GTX 480 started at 500 $, while GTX 470 at 350 $. Same was the price for GTX 680 at release, however GTX 670 had a price point at 399$. Finally mentioned GTX 780 hit the market with price point of 649 $, 770 was for 399 $. Last were 980 for recommend price point of 550$ and 330 $ for 970. 

I have yet to find a 1070 with availability and price of 380 $, so far its easier to find MSRPs priced on levels similar to Founders. Does seem there wont be 1070 version with price lower than 400 $. 

Also, thats only taking into account US release prices. Bringing closest to me example, Poland (of course one has to keep in mind that we have value-added tax), recommended price of 970 was 1450 PLN and 980 2400 PLN. Current prices of 1080 are 3600 PLN and for 1070 2300 PLN. Almost 50% increase for top model and almost 40 % for second to top model. Poor Australians got to pay over 1100 $ or so I've heard. 

Given performance increase does not justify increase of the price, especially that it is higher than claimed during official presentation. But you might not understand, it doesnt make them bad, it makes it bad for customers. Lack of competition in high end segment or in any segment in fact is a bad thing for customers. 

AMD has failed to compete - that, again, isn't something I would fault NVidia for.

Before spending that much on a GTX1080 please consider this. If you play in 4K resolution on the deck engage with multiple foe i am still in the low 30 with occasional dip in the 10 on multiplayer mode. On single player on the quick mission if I select multiple wave my GTX 1080 still struggle.

I think if you play at lower resolution that will be fine. I really hope the dev upgrade for DX11 or something    

Before spending that much on a GTX1080 please consider this. If you play in 4K resolution on the deck engage with multiple foe i am still in the low 30 with occasional dip in the 10 on multiplayer mode. On single player on the quick mission if I select multiple wave my GTX 1080 still struggle.

I think if you play at lower resolution that will be fine. I really hope the dev upgrade for DX11 or something    

Time to get that 4930K up above 4 Ghz  ;)   :)

Cheers Dakpilot

Time to get that 4930K up above 4 Ghz  ;)   :)

Cheers Dakpilot

You think it will help? I am so not qualify to overclock things. How about the heat with all my 10 hours session :D

Edited by ATAG_dB