Another ROF Spammer

Ceowulf

Hi,

I actually hope I'm not spamming.  I'm just another Rise of Flight fan here to say how much I appreciate all the past development of ROF.  It should be a real comfort to current BOS/M customers to look over at us and see that ROF is still going strong 7 years later.  The flight sim crowd is hard to please and yet, despite all our squalling over there, look how many of us are die hard ROF pilots.  That's the only reason I'm not here yet is I don't have time for both and there's so much fun I still want to have in our WW1 birds.  Anyway, they say Rise of Flight took a while to develop but I'm here to say it turned out very well and I would buy it all again in a heartbeat.

To the dev's, please remember guys like me over there.  If you want to sell us any content, it's "shut up and take my money."

Guess I'm a shameless fanboy...

Ceowulf<><

• Upvote 9

Me too. Great sim :-)

Edited by Bando

xvii-Dietrich

I only discovered RoF about 2 months ago. But what a gem of a flight sim!

It is free to play too, with 3 good aircraft, so I can thoroughly recommend it for anyone "just curious".

But the full game has so many different and varied aircraft, maps, conditions, scenarios, functions and... immersion.

Great fun!

http://riseofflight.com/

RoF is without doubt a fantastic sim. I bought everything the Dev's released for it to help support this genre of simming and I'd buy anything they'd release for it now too. I've been in from day 1 and after 7 years I still love it and fire it up plenty. I would recommend it to anyone.

cheers

ShamrockOneFive

Been thinking about getting into RoF... I tried it very briefly a long time ago but had trouble adjusting from the old IL-2 engine. Now that I'm more in tune with BoS/BoM and the nature of the engine... I'd like to give it a go again.

I know there are free aircraft. Are they any good? Are there some must have types if I had to buy only a couple of them? The Sopwith Camel is such an iconic type... I feel like I might want to fly that.

unreasonable

@ShamrockOneFive - best bet would be to ask in the RoF forum if you want detail, but in outline: 

The free aircraft are the Albatros DVa, Nieuport 17, and Spad 13, all good aircraft in widespread use, with rather different designs and best tactics.  

For add-on planes you can buy either on Steam - where the paid planes come in bundles - roughly grouped by date - of 5-6 planes IIRC. Or you can buy individually from 777's site.

WW1 aircraft are so weird and wonderful that it is easy to end up buying them all just to see how each contraption feels to fly!

• Upvote 1

I like the sim too. I bought all planes, maps and other stuff. Would be sad if RoF dies...

• Upvote 3

Feathered_IV

I hope it sees an upgrade at some stage.  I'd love to see BoS map technology and some better AI to make singleplayer worthwhile.

• Upvote 1

I hope it sees an upgrade at some stage.  I'd love to see BoS map technology and some better AI to make singleplayer worthwhile.

Personally, I think that improved AI should be the number one priority for RoF, if the developers want to continue development. They've shown in BoS/BoM that they are capable of doing it, and I think it would do more than anything else to give it another lease of life.

ShamrockOneFive

Well... I downloaded and installed and am playing around a bit with the free aircraft. It's pretty interesting and dogfights are a lot of fun in WWI aircraft.

If I really get sucked in I'll have to buy some planes :D

• 2 weeks later...
ShamrockOneFive

Well..... I got sucked in :)

Bought a bunch of planes on the 66% off sale that's on today. Pretty happy at the moment!

rof-sopwithpupvictory_zpsyh6m7bxs.jpg

rof-crashed_zpsdvp6jx2k.jpg

• Upvote 2

Trooper117

I played RoF pretty exclusively for ages until the devs just dropped support for it... I bought everything they put out until that juncture.

The only thing I didn't buy to support the game was the Russian stuff they put up after they packed up and went to BoS...

The only thing they do now is put out a sale on a regular basis to try and milk a bit more revenue... having said that, if it allows others to grab a bargain and have as much fun with it that I had, then that is a good thing :)

ShamrockOneFive

The old left hand turn...  :happy:

Haha yep... Crashed it right next to the guy I just shot down!  :lol:

I played RoF pretty exclusively for ages until the devs just dropped support for it... I bought everything they put out until that juncture.

The only thing I didn't buy to support the game was the Russian stuff they put up after they packed up and went to BoS...

The only thing they do now is put out a sale on a regular basis to try and milk a bit more revenue... having said that, if it allows others to grab a bargain and have as much fun with it that I had, then that is a good thing :)

It did get 6-7 years of heavy development. I can see the team wanting to move on and do something new. Especially with what we know of the situation and story behind how IL-2 and 1CGS came together.

I'm hoping that its not all over. I guess we'll see.

Trooper117

I'm certainly hoping that too, and after 777 stated the game would continue to get love, plus it would benefit from improvements that come from developing BoS, we are still waiting...

My heart tells me they have stopped all work for it however...

ShamrockOneFive

It's not likely the focus for them right now. It's a largely mature product. From my early experiences with it, I'd say its much more mature than IL-2 is right now as it has tons of customization and features that BoS/BoM lack in nearly every way.

I'm hearing the AI is weak although my experience has been that they are very adequate for my purposes right now. Visually the game is impressive but you can see what a step up things are for IL-2. I'm sure RoF fans would love a visual upgrade and 64bit.

Perhaps the long game is for development to proceed on a revised DN engine that will enable DX11/12 and VR capabilities and roll that out across both products. I'm not sure what that would take but I'm betting they have a short and long game and the long game probably won't be revealed just yet.

Meanwhile...RoF is all new to me and I'm having so much fun!

Trooper117

The AI is a really weak aspect of the game... once you have played for awhile, you will pick up their routines, and see that they observe those same routines over and over, it then becomes very easy to shoot them down.

It was acknowledged that the AI needed lots of work, but they didn't have the guy to sort it out unfortunately...

You could always tell us what those mods actually are...

RoF + my list mod, no external injector effect

fMP8ude.png

Trooper117

Ok, I use some of them... but didn't know there was a hi-res texture pack, might have to check that out!

Great flight simulator indeed - I was actually about to re-install it since I miss the graphics, the ambience and those glorious machines...

• 2 weeks later...
ShamrockOneFive

Great flight simulator indeed - I was actually about to re-install it since I miss the graphics, the ambience and those glorious machines...

Dooo it :)

I'm having a serious amount of fun with Rise of Flight. I haven't been able to fully get into it yet... I just need some more time. But I'm slowly learning the dynamics of some of the aircraft that I bought and I'm getting into how they all fly and fight. Its totally different from WWII... That may be obvious but its underscored for me hopping into a SE5a or a Dr.1.

unreasonable

Great thing about flying in RoF is that all of the planes have only a little excess thrust, so you have to be very conscious of your energy. In WW2 planes the engine will often get you out of trouble in a maneuver, in these crates much less. On the other hand, you also have to be very careful with the rpms to avoid engine failure and the "oily goggles". It is a very interesting balancing act. 

Plus we can mod RoF.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

...thx for curage Ceowulf! Im strongly supported your demand :-) JASON!!!!!!!!!!...please dont left ROF to die!

(I definitely understand reasons why 2WW sims have better chance to bring some profit...) but actual  RoF FM (disbalancing historical (yes i know...newerending topic) acuracy of curent rof planes) + longtime ago descision to remove STATS  from ROF main web...(and all time streak numbers behinde names of pilots)... were taking out many important (because fanatical) virpilots...

(i know...turnamens didnt shows some sucesful way with olways same people on lead... )

curent stage of ROF is suffering by small number of players on servers... its not because of grafic...its not because lack of interes in virtual dueling... its about leave of hardcore non ts players... (its imposible to avoid TS multiplayer colaboration... but after well organized german sided Jastas get curent fm planes... (and with other reasons upper this sentece) there was not good chance to face them...for alied looners... (hi Vorlander :-)

but anyway...thx for ROF...

=362nd_FS=Hiromachi

So ... I had RoF on my steam for a long time but I only tried it once, before buying BoS, to see if I can run the thing in decent FPS. Recently I got into it, especially since I got crazy about Nieuport 28 and so I've bought Battle of Saint-Mihiel, Ace Pack, Birth of Warbirds and Legendary Bombers. As it seems so far game only recognizes first one, no upgrades for aircraft I can use from Ace Pack even though I see them in Hangar options. And machines from latter two packs are still labeled as not purchased. Anyone had similar issue ?

Fixed.

Also, Nieuport 28C is quite hard to fly but to be honest most of those aircraft are not easy to handle. Tried for a while Fokker Dr.I and damn that think was just willing to loop all the time and had tendency to drop on left wing (wings :) ) whole the time. I started reading and found this : http://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/29151-nieuport-28c1/?p=405514

Though as it seems all links are dead, so I got no clue how to properly adjust the stick to improve my controls over the aircraft. Anyone could throw some advice ? 

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi