Sign in to follow this  
CCCPBera

People on the ground?

Hi folks!

I've been playing BOS for some time now. However, in some of the game's reviews that I've read, I noticed that the game (used to?) has people walking and moving on the ground (crews, i.e).

However, so far I haven't seen any of this. This feature was disabled after the initial versions of the game? If not, how can I activate it?

Thanks! 

There are certainly people walking around the airfields in the campaigns. I guess they would only be in Multiplayer scenarios if the designer puts them in.

I was just like you when I first started. There are people on the ground, but it`s few. On the airfield try looking to the far ends of the airfield and you`ll see the odd lonely man walking around. Look at the searchlight and a man will be on that. There are also men on AA guns.

I suspect this isn`t what you expected. I myself expcted to see men nearby, maybe fixing stuff or even waving my plane on, but nope. There`s no real hustle and bustle that you might have expected to see. Airfields are as quiet as the original IL2.  :(

Edited by seafireliv

I raised this question in Questions for Developers. No answers as yet......

I have nothing but praise for what the 777 team have created in RoF, BoS and now BoM. I'm loving it. Could I kindly just raise the issue of ground personnel on the airfields. I know others have touched on it, but I think the addition of more animated ground crew with a purpose would add hugely to the immersion. How about a couple of ground crew that jog out to meet your landed aircraft as you taxi up to the hanger? One could be the bat-man and wave you in, signal brakes-on and this is where you would stop, engine off and open the canopy. The other ground crew would then be at your left wing tip and salute you as the canopy opened. You could also perhaps add some audio of him saying, "welcome back Sir, Any luck?" or similar. As it stands now, the few personnel you see are like aimless zombies. Give them a purpose. The figure modeling is excellent already and the animation of the fighting men is great, so I know that you could do a great job in providing more purposeful ground crew. Perhaps also, an aircraft outside the hangers with panels off and maintenance crew working on it. Here are just a few images to get you thinking about it.....

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-647-0-94661000-1460196093_thumb.jpg
  • post-647-0-75936500-1460196116_thumb.jpg
  • post-647-0-34105200-1460196132_thumb.jpg

There are certainly people walking around the airfields in the campaigns. I guess they would only be in Multiplayer scenarios if the designer puts them in.

That's correct (single-player scenarios too). Besides the gun and searchlight crews, the following object categories in the mission editor feature moving soldiers around them:

arf_ammo

arf_caponiers (the U-shaped parking slots for planes) 

arf_dugouts

arf_hangers

arf_nets

arf_tower 

Edited by JimTM

Hi folks!

I've been playing BOS for some time now. However, in some of the game's reviews that I've read, I noticed that the game (used to?) has people walking and moving on the ground (crews, i.e).

However, so far I haven't seen any of this. This feature was disabled after the initial versions of the game? If not, how can I activate it?

Thanks! 

Hi!

From here :

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/15424-infantry-airfields/?hl=%2Barf_caponiers&do=findComment&comment=276237

or if you don't like to read about the subject, here is direct link to mission:

http://www.ijeremiah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Airfield_soldiers-mission_files.zip

Scroll down to "No601_Prangster" post an download a test mission for moving solders in airfield (you have to delete "Airfield soldiers.msnbin" file, it is an old mission file) after you extracted the files in your mission folder, then open mission editor and load the "Airfield soldiers.Mission" file and resave it.

Wish the mission editors could at least add a few walking around the city, just to give the perspective of an actual battle going on.

Wish the developers added infantry units. Wish the 3D team would get bored on their spare time again and design them. DCS has infantry, Janes WWII Fighters had infantry. 

Immersion ftw.

Wish the mission editors could at least add a few walking around the city, just to give the perspective of an actual battle going on.

Wish the developers added infantry units. Wish the 3D team would get bored on their spare time again and design them. DCS has infantry, Janes WWII Fighters had infantry. 

Immersion ftw.

The other day I strafed a convoy driving along a road. As I came back around, I noticed ~20 men running away from the smoking/burning trucks(and then strafed them too) .  Reminded me of Janes WWII Fighters right away.  I really do hope they get fleshed out at some point.

Jane's?   I used to blast any occasional Bambi I came across (sometimes at the expense of the mission :/).  As I recall there was an option for less/more Bambi's.

The other day I strafed a convoy driving along a road. As I came back around, I noticed ~20 men running away from the smoking/burning trucks(and then strafed them too) .  Reminded me of Janes WWII Fighters right away.  I really do hope they get fleshed out at some point.

Ironically, the original IL2 did this. I was really hoping for a further improvement 10 years later. Hopefully, it will happen.