Sign in to follow this  
Phantom-103

Free Flight over Moscow

Hello,Love the new update.Thank You,One problem when I try quick mission on Moscow map I'm told to turn back before I'm able to enter city,Is there a way around this?I have unlocked BOM in my profile.

Thank You for any help.Cheers!

You cannot fly over it unfortunately

Edited by 6./ZG26_Emil
  • Upvote 1

try with a tank , perhaps  .

in any case Moscou is convincing on the map , very beautiful .

Edited by sport02

I'm hoping someone will make a tank mission on the BoM map. I'd like to explore it from ground level.

Well, that's pretty uncool - one buys the Moscow IL2 version but any flight over the city after which it is named is verboten. Or isn't the city modeled in yet? I'd find that mighty distressing as well cos I've just coughed out a tidy to purchase the game. Ach!

Pirabee.

Well, that's pretty uncool - one buys the Moscow IL2 version but any flight over the city after which it is named is verboten. Or isn't the city modeled in yet? I'd find that mighty distressing as well cos I've just coughed out a tidy to purchase the game. Ach!

The Battle of Moscow took place to the west of the city.  In the bits that you can fly over.

• Upvote 1

Pirabee.

It's all explained in the developer diaries.

Danke schoen fellars, I'm sufficiently guided.

Pirabee.

P/s: my gold bar still not showing. (Useful emoticon here)

Edited by Eagle-OnePirabee

Guess I should have read the Dev details. I always thought the Moscow map would`ve had the full Moscow city.

Fun fact: just to the south of Moscow is the city of Podolsk. They were one of the manufacturers of the SVT-40. For years, it was thought that SVTs were built in Kovrov, but further research showed that to be incorrect and that Podolsk was the correct location.

Fun fact: just to the south of Moscow is the city of Podolsk. They were one of the manufacturers of the SVT-40. For years, it was thought that SVTs were built in Kovrov, but further research showed that to be incorrect and that Podolsk was the correct location.

I take it that the factories in Podolsk were targeted by the Luftwaffe then?

Guess I should have read the Dev details. I always thought the Moscow map would`ve had the full Moscow city.

I'd encourage you to have a look at the city in-game. In terms of map-making, it's a stunning achievement - it looks like a real place, it looks like a city a few kilometers away ought to look. As I've written elsewhere, I wish that other cities (I'm thinking of my own London in BoB sims) looked as convincing and as 'real' as Moscow does, even if the price you had to pay was that you couldn't overfly it.

If you're curious as to how the devs have done it, open up the mission editor and place a few city tiles somewhere clear and flat. Now you'll be able to fly over it. Close up, the objects have very crude shapes and textures, no hit-boxes/collision modelling, etc, etc. They're designed to be seen from a distance, and they do exactly what they're designed to do. I think it's a great compromise, allowing both a huge city and great fps in a sim.

The only quibble I have is "Phily" airfield, on Moscow's outskirts. It's a lovely little airstrip, and you can land on it, but it's close enough to the boundary that you get that annoying warning message flashing as you do so.

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 1

I'd encourage you to have a look at the city in-game. In terms of map-making, it's a stunning achievement - it looks like a real place, it looks like a city a few kilometers away ought to look. As I've written elsewhere, I wish that other cities (I'm thinking of my own London in BoB sims) looked as convincing and as 'real' as Moscow does, even if the price you had to pay was that you couldn't overfly it.

If you're curious as to how the devs have done it, open up the mission editor and place a few city tiles somewhere clear and flat. Now you'll be able to fly over it. Close up, the objects have very crude shapes and textures, no hit-boxes/collision modelling, etc, etc. They're designed to be seen from a distance, and they do exactly what they're designed to do. I think it's a great compromise, allowing both a huge city and great fps in a sim.

The only quibble I have is "Phily" airfield, on Moscow's outskirts. It's a lovely little airstrip, and you can land on it, but it's close enough to the boundary that you get that annoying warning message flashing as you do so.

Well, that`s a praising review. I`m actually excited about viewing it now! I hope to fly by it soon!

Well, that`s a praising review. I`m actually excited about viewing it now! I hope to fly by it soon!

seafire; silly question but you do know you've got a quick mission builder in the game where you can select the map and season you want to fly over?

You can fly on the Moscow map now m8.

It is called Il-2: BATTLE OF Moscow, not Il-2: Moscow. :)

Shouldn't it be named "Battle for Moscow" instead as Moscow never was a battleground in WWII as Stalingrad was ?!

Edited by Geleitzug

Regardless of the name, they were very clear that we would not be able to fly over the city itself.

Shouldn't it be named "Battle for Moscow" instead as Moscow never was a battleground in WWII as Stalingrad was ?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Moscow

The Battle of Moscow (Russian: Битва за Москву) is the name given by Soviet historians to two periods of strategically significant fighting on a 600 km (370 mi) sector of the Eastern Front during World War II. It took place between October 1941 and January 1942.

seafire; silly question but you do know you've got a quick mission builder in the game where you can select the map and season you want to fly over?

You can fly on the Moscow map now m8.

"Location: Leicestershire..." He's probably got other things on his mind... Git!   [it was a dive, a definite dive!...]  :P

Edited by No601_Swallow

IMHO, Devs took the best aproach with Moskow city, just remember the painfully Berlin city in the original Il-2 or London city in CloD that both are fps killers even today.

IMHO, Devs took the best aproach with Moskow city, just remember the painfully Berlin city in the original Il-2 or London city in CloD that both are fps killers even today.

The original Berlin map is painful to look at, what with those postwar landmarks it has (Eisenhuttenstadt, anyone?  :lol:).

i have to admit i don't know the original Berlin map, but Eisenhüttenstadt is near Frankfurt. Was the map that big?

Can`t speak for CloD, but Berlin was not that bad and you could reduce the settings if it was - And my pc was pretty basic then.

Whatever people say about Moscow,  I don`t doubt it. However, I would not have minded something like Berlin done with it, or even a Leningradlike copy which I had great times flying over in dogfights in my I16. Heck, I still remember great sorties where i`d trick 109s low into some of the tall buildings! lol.

i have to admit i don't know the original Berlin map, but Eisenhüttenstadt is near Frankfurt. Was the map that big?

Seriously how many people even noticed this? I would have preferred to be able to fly over Berlin with all its faults than outside its borders.

I have yet to see Moscow, but i still believe a much watered down version like what we had with Leningrad and Berlin would have been fine, especially today.

But that`s me.

Edited by seafireliv

Seriously how many people even noticed this? I would have preferred to be able to fly over Berlin with all its faults than outside its borders.

Plenty of people noticed it right away...along with all the faults the Stalingrad map had as well.

Seriously.

Plenty of people noticed it right away...along with all the faults the Stalingrad map had as well.

Seriously.

So?

So?

So..it wasn't as much of a minor fault as he makes it out to be. 

So..it wasn't as much of a minor fault as he makes it out to be. 

I don't understand what imposing invisible boundaries that take control away from the player has ever accomplished. 

Who cares if people complain about cosmetic issues? They will always complain. Using immersion-breaking methods like this to "fix" a non-existent problem is worse than the complaints.

The Berlin map was always a problem, regardless of how much you changed settings even a supercomputer suffered FPS issues, it was a game engine limitation allied to map design

Il-2 was groundbreaking, outstanding and still great, but to say anything else about the Berlin map is viewing it with heavily tinted rose coloured glasses, some great efforts have since been made with Map Mods to address this well understood FPS issue

Cheers Dakpilot

The Berlin map was always a problem, regardless of how much you changed settings even a supercomputer suffered FPS issues, it was a game engine limitation allied to map design

Il-2 was groundbreaking, outstanding and still great, but to say anything else about the Berlin map is viewing it with heavily tinted rose coloured glasses, some great efforts have since been made with Map Mods to address this well understood FPS issue

Cheers Dakpilot

Yes Berlin is still a fps killer even with my actual pc, the same architecture was present in CloD London, But as you said, many lads tend to think that anything that came from Oleg is unquestionable.

I still would`ve liked a lesser Moscow to be able to fly over it. The Luftwaffe flew around 124  bombing sorties and even hit the Kremlin at one point. And i`m sure there were Soviet aircraft trying to stop it. I think a lot of people who bought the game were hoping to be able to at least fly over, I know I had visions of flying over a city (like in Leningrad IL2) before I bought the sim. The Player should not be artificially stopped from flying over it or just don`t have the city there at all. Calling it `Battle Over Moscow` could be deemed as misleading.

Oh well, the decisions been made. Can`t do anything about it now.

Edited by seafireliv

Calling it `Battle Over Moscow` could be deemed as misleading.

Well, great, because it isn't called that at all. It's called "Battle of Moscow" which, incidentally, is the term used by historians as well.

Edited by LukeFF

Would I like to fly over Moscow? Yes.

Does this break the game for me? No.

Do I hope we can fly over Moscow in the future? Please? Pretty please?!

Was it well disclaimed from the outset of this project that we wouldn't be able to fly over Moscow proper? Yeah, it was very well disclaimed.

The only thing that bothers me is how intrusive the "edge of map" message is and how long it takes to regain control of my aircraft after the AI spins me around - I've been shot down due to the latter.

Edited by Space_Ghost

Well, great, because it isn't called that at all. It's called "Battle of Moscow" which, incidentally, is the term used by historians as well.

My error then. I stand corrected.

Pretty sure the vast majority of the 124 bombing sorties over Moscow were at night anyway

Cheers Dakpilot

Pretty sure the vast majority of the 124 bombing sorties over Moscow were at night anyway

Cheers Dakpilot

Even if that is so, my point still stands.

Point being what? about 2% of Battle of Moscow took place over the City, the rest in the area's that are flyable, the decision to do things the way they are was clear from the first pre early access DD''s, notwithstanding the mechanics of reaching the 'limit' could perhaps be tweaked

It is/was quite possible for the Moscow to be rendered the same as the other city's but at what extra cost in time and resources? would people be prepared to pay more and or wait longer for non historical sightseeing potential?

Of course I would also like to fly over such a City but commercial realities are a thing  :)

Cheers Dakpilot